HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Swap: Habs for Oilers

View Poll Results: Would you Swap the Habs for Oilers?
Yes, I would make the swap 77 29.50%
No, I would not make the swap 158 60.54%
Ask me in May 26 9.96%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2011, 08:21 AM
  #201
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,412
vCash: 500
I'm not 100% sold that the Oilers will become a powerhouse, but they definitely have a ton of upside...however, they had to put up with 5 years of crappy hockey between playoff teams. That's why I hate the "tank" mentality, when you "tank" you are sure to suck but there is no guarantee of future success even with 3-4 top 5 picks in your lineup, just look at Atlanta, Phoenix(before Tippett), Columbus, NY Islanders etc

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:21 AM
  #202
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yup, reads the play very well. Of course... we wouldn't know that by watching tonight but there's still the 3rd period left.

I was hoping for a more exciting game tonight. Here's hoping it picks up in the final frame.
Not much to see from the kids tonight for sure. Renney really spots them on the road so they tend not to get much going. A game like tonight shows that they are still young with a lot to learn.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:23 AM
  #203
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,746
vCash: 500
Some posters wouldn't part with PK Subban but I would at least consider offers for him. I'd be curious to hear what Subban would bring in on the trade market. Granted, he's a talented player, but IMO he isn't a gem for the ages and may never win a Norris Trophy. The only current Hab who can be compared to the cream of the NHL at his position is Carey Price (which is not to say that he is the very best goaltender).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:41 AM
  #204
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I would. They have a franchise player, Hall, and we don't. It's that simple.
Everything is simple for someone with blinders on. Try acquainting yourself with some of the other names on the Oiler roster and you'll find that it doesn't stop at Hall. How about Nugent-Hopkins? Wouldn't he instantly become the #1 center on the Habs? I'd say that Price belies your second assertion.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:39 AM
  #205
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That's not "reality", that's speculation. You might want to shake that crystal ball a bit more and get another reading.

Tambellini is a guy who can't identify which of his players are good, thought Teubert was a first-rate prospect when he was playing in the ECHL, makes knee-jerk reactions to passing bumps in performance, gave an absolutely ridiculous 35+ contract to Khabibulin.

Tambellini spent to the cap in 2009-2010, trying to bolster what he thought was a competitive club (hey, they'd just gone to the SCF, right!). That team ended up last in the league, and that was what precipitated this rebuild. Finishing last and rebuilding was never the original plan. The Oilers turned out terrible, crashed, and then Tambellini's strategy became "well, since we're last anyway, let's rebuild".

It's not particularly hard to build terrible clubs that finish last and then draft the consensus first overall. You get a lot of praise doing that because most people think Pittsburgh and Chicago and not Atlanta and Columbus. Thing is, it was the team-building done around the top picks that made Pittsburgh and Chicago into great teams. We'll see if Tambellini can actually do that team-building effectively. I have seen no sign that he has that ability however.

And it's not because Khabibulin has played on his head for 15 games and held up what's otherwise a mediocre-to-weak team aloft that the Oilers have suddenly become good. That team will be in trouble when he turns into a pumpkin; they better hope they have a big enough cushion by then if they want to make the playoffs.

In all likelihood, 3 years from now the Habs will have a club built around Price, Subban, Pacioretty, and Eller, plus some of their up-and-coming prospects, with Plekanec and Markov as the elder statesmen. I'm rather confident they'll still be better than the Oilers.

Not true!

Your entire premise about the Oilers rebuild is wrong.

I live in Edmonton and the entire city was aware as to why Lowe was "out" as GM and why the Oilers brought in Tambellini....to rebuild the Oilers the right way - not the patch job way.

The decision was indeed to tank the team - but they needed a solid goaltender - Khabibulin didn't look too bad last night did he (has the best GAA in the entire NHL - including Price).

So you are concerned about Khabibulin's contract....could not even come close to matching the Gomez debacle (remember - Gauthier was Gainey's assistanbt GM when they acquired Gomez.....LOL).

Despite the fact that the Oilers have one of the youngest teams in the NHL - they have the best GAA in the NHL and 1 of the top 5 teams in the league regarding GF/GA ratio.

Considering that the OILERS are 1st place in their Division and one of the top 2 teams in their Conference - it looks like Tambellini's rebuild is working better than Gauthier's rebuild.....ya think?

So let's see....Oilers have 20 points in 14 games - and the Habs?

Habs have 12 points in 14 games still floundering around 9th place in their conference.

If - as you say - this is poor Oiler management - wish the HABS could get some management that poor!

LOL!

Considering Gauthier's NHL track record as a GM - can't figure out why anyone expects him to build a contender?

LOL!






Last edited by Melvin Udall: 11-09-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:52 AM
  #206
TheBourkeIdentity
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
Not true!

The decision was indeed to tank the team - but they needed a solid goaltender - Khabibulin didn't look too bad last night did he (has the best GAA in the entire NHL - including Price).

Despite the fact that the Oilers have one of the youngest teams in the NHL - they have the best GAA in the NHL and 1 of the top 5 teams in the league regarding GF/GA ratio.

Considering that the OILERS are 1st place in their Division and one of the top teams in their Conference
These statements are all related. The question is, is Khabi that good, or is he just on a hot streak?

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:01 AM
  #207
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAverageHF View Post
These statements are all related. The question is, is Khabi that good, or is he just on a hot streak?

Good question.

His career save percentage is slightly higher than his current save percantage.

So...........is Gomez this good or is he just on a hot streak?


Last edited by Mike8: 11-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:04 AM
  #208
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
I live in Edmonton and the entire city was aware as to why Lowe was "out" as GM and why the Oilers brought in Tambellini....to rebuild the Oilers the right way - not the patch job way.
You should read more Oilers blogs if you have interest in the team, and avoid the mainstream media. They have some of the finest, most unbiased analysts in their blogosphere (famous as the Oilogosphere) while their media bends over backwards to pander to the team. (Something that Hab fans will be most unfamiliar with.)

They will, for example, tell you not to read too much into a 14-game sample, and explain exactly why the Oilers success cannot be expected to continue if they rely on Khabibulin being a .964+ goaltender. And how they can't expect to keep winning games they deserve to lose.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:06 AM
  #209
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
His career save percentage is slightly higher than his current save percantage.
What?

Khabibulin's save percentage is .964 right now. That's way, waaaaay higher than his career percentage.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:15 AM
  #210
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You should read more Oilers blogs if you have interest in the team, and avoid the mainstream media. They have some of the finest, most unbiased analysts in their blogosphere (famous as the Oilogosphere) while their media bends over backwards to pander to the team. (Something that Hab fans will be most unfamiliar with.)

They will, for example, tell you not to read too much into a 14-game sample, and explain exactly why the Oilers success cannot be expected to continue if they rely on Khabibulin being a .964+ goaltender. And how they can't expect to keep winning games they deserve to lose.
Really?

You stated that: the Oilers success cannot be expected to continue.

But that - as you said in response to my origonal post is speculation.

Personally - I'd prefer to deal in facts -, like the facts that the Oilers are in 1st place in their Division, 2nd place in the Western Conference - have the best GAA in the enture NHL and a top 5 team in GF vs GA.

THOSE ARE FACTS - NOT SPECULATION.


Last edited by hototogisu: 11-09-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: not needed
Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:37 AM
  #211
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
You stated that: the Oilers success cannot be expected to continue.

But that - as you said in response to my origonal post is speculation.
Not speculation so much as prediction based on their microstats. Obviously this is not a 100% prediction (it is a probabilistic model, plus the Oilers could already improve).

But you have to deal with the facts that the Oilers are a terrible offensive club, get continually outshot, and their goaltender is carrying the club by playing way over his head. This is why smart money is on the Oilers regressing this year.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:52 AM
  #212
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Not speculation so much as prediction based on their microstats. Obviously this is not a 100% prediction (it is a probabilistic model, plus the Oilers could already improve).

But you have to deal with the facts that the Oilers are a terrible offensive club, get continually outshot, and their goaltender is carrying the club by playing way over his head. This is why smart money is on the Oilers regressing this year.
Actually no they don't get outshot often at all. They are allowing an average of 25.1 shots a game 3rd best in the league. While goaltending has stole a few games there have been more where he's barely had any work.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 10:56 AM
  #213
MathMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 17,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Actually no they don't get outshot often at all. They are allowing an average of 25.1 shots a game 3rd best in the league. While goaltending has stole a few games there have been more where he's barely had any work.
25.1 is their shots FOR per game (3rd worst in the league). They are allowing 29 shots AGAINST per game.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
  #214
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Not speculation so much as prediction based on their microstats. Obviously this is not a 100% prediction (it is a probabilistic model, plus the Oilers could already improve).

But you have to deal with the facts that the Oilers are a terrible offensive club, get continually outshot, and their goaltender is carrying the club by playing way over his head. This is why smart money is on the Oilers regressing this year.

Prediction or speculation - the 2 are first cousins and certainly not facts.

Mathman - I do agree that the Oilers likely will not finish as strong as their current position in the standings (young and inexperienced teams need to learn to pace themselves through 82 games) - but the point - at least for me - is that the Oilers appear to be headed in the right direction -and as 1 poster stated - may (ultimately) become a powerhouse.

I just don't see the entire Habs organization getting out of it's (nearly) 30 year funk using the same repeated approach they have taken to yet another patch-job rebuild!

Just my opinion.


Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
  #215
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
25.1 is their shots FOR per game (3rd worst in the league). They are allowing 29 shots AGAINST per game.
My bad I was going off another guys post. But still they aren't getting grossly outshot like you made it seem. Games are won and lost in special teams they have the 4th best PK and the 14th best PP. They are yet to lose a game by more than 1 goal. While they're goaltending has obviously been overachieving the offense has been underachieving with players like Paajarvi, Gagner and Belanger all producing well below their career averages and their top offensive player, Ales Hemsky having played only 2 games and 1 period. Also their top offensive defensemen, Whitney, has played only 4 games.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.