HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Fedotenko:: Revisited

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Fedotenko:: Revisited

Now, when this went down I said it was a win for Tampa Bay.

They got a decent player in Fedotenko at the time and two second round picks (one which was traded for Brad Lukowich and a 7th round pick).

Now, Pitkanen was later selected by Philly.

And Fedotenko so far has scored a lot in the playoffs and maybe even the game winner. Lukowich has been EXTREMELY solid. But I can't trace back what became of that other 2nd round pick...

But, looking back, who wins?

Old
06-07-2004, 09:40 PM
NYR469

fedotenko has been much better than i thought he'd be but long term philly will win this big time (of course tb wins the cup thanks to fedotenko they won't complain about it)

Old
06-07-2004, 09:41 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille

They got a decent player in Fedotenko at the time and two second round picks (one which was traded for Brad Lukowich and a 7th round pick).

And Fedotenko so far has scored a lot in the playoffs and maybe even the game winner. Lukowich has been EXTREMELY solid. But I can't trace back what became of that other 2nd round pick...

I say both teams win, especially if Tampa pulls this game 7 out. In the long run, I think Pitkanen will have more value than the package Tampa got for the fourth pick, but the Cup is priceless.

Old
06-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

In about 2 minutes I think you could say Tampa wins this trade.

Old
06-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash61
I agree.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Foppa

Tampa Bay has certainly gotten their money's worth. That does not mean Philly has lost though. Trades aren't games...nobody has to win or lose. Their payoff has always been 'down the road'. Pitkanen is still a gem.

As for the Bolts...many here owe them an apology. They were ripped to shreds by hyperventilating prospect lovers on this very board non-stop all summer when that deal happened. We'll start with me...as an Avs fan, I should know that although you want to keep an eye on the future, you live in the present.

Maybe Tampa would have won the Cup without Ruslan. And maybe someday pigs will indeed fly. The only thing that matters is that the Bolts are Cup champs and Ruslan was a huge part of it.

Ask anybody in that organization if they would reverse that trade. (Insert sound of crickets chirping).

Old
06-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash61
Oh not again...

Rusty would not have won the Flyers the Cup.

It was win/win.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:22 PM
loveshack2

Tampa wins, no question. They just won the Cup and Fedetenko was a big part of that. Congrats to Jay Feaster for making us all look like idiots.

That doesnt mean that Philly loses though. If Pitkanen becomes an impact player then it could be a good deal for them as well.

One has to at least wonder though since they did play each other this year. If you removed Fedetenko from Tampa and put him on Philly, would it have made a difference in which team advanced to the finals? Pitkanen didnt play a whole lot in the playoffs this year, and Fedetenko scored in double digits. I dont know, but it's at least interesting to consider that a trade that 99.9% of people here proclaimed as being hopelessly one-sided at the time it happened may have ended up costing the "winning" team the Cup in the end.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Captain Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa
Tampa Bay has certainly gotten their money's worth. That does not mean Philly has lost though. Trades aren't games...nobody has to win or lose. Their payoff has always been 'down the road'. Pitkanen is still a gem.

As for the Bolts...many here owe them an apology. They were ripped to shreds by hyperventilating prospect lovers on this very board non-stop all summer when that deal happened. We'll start with me...as an Avs fan, I should know that although you want to keep an eye on the future, you live in the present.

Maybe Tampa would have won the Cup without Ruslan. And maybe someday pigs will indeed fly. The only thing that matters is that the Bolts are Cup champs and Ruslan was a huge part of it.

Ask anybody in that organization if they would reverse that trade. (Insert sound of crickets chirping).

Pretty well said. The only problem is that Fedotenko hadn't showed much before this years playoffs, so you shouldn't slam people who said that the Flyers came out ahead in the trade.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
One has to at least wonder though since they did play each other this year. If you removed Fedetenko from Tampa and put him on Philly, would it have made a difference in which team advanced to the finals?
If he played in place of LeClair, than absolutely it would have made a difference, but...

Fedotenko would have been traded regardless. There was not room for him on the team anymore, so he would have just went to a different team.

I still love the guy, and I'm extremely happy he hoisted.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille

I remember how much criticism this trade took, and I defended it. It looks like, in hindsight, a good deal for Tampa. Fedotenko has proven to be a clutch player for the Bolts while Lukowich has been solid. Pitkanen still hasn't proven he can be that good, and the Bolts have got a Cup thanks to the help of Fedotenko and Lukowich, so really, I think this deal was a good one for Tampa.

Pitkanen has the potential to be a good one, but potential is the key word here.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Rita12

Tampa Bay did not trade a second for Lukowich i don't think. Rather they kept the 2 seconds and only traded a 7th for him.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:22 PM
Mizral

I was one of the very, very few who thought Feaster won the deal, and I'm not just saying that. You can go back and look at some of the backlogs of the discussions of the trade as far back as HF remembers, and I've always supported the deal.

At the time, I felt Fedotenko was going to look like another Jere Lehtinen. A 20 - 25 goal man who is one of the best two-way forwards in the NHL. Hell, I might have UNDERSHOT him.

And if you are a Pitkanen fan, and I know many of you are out there, how nice would it have been had that trade been reversed? Flat out, the Bolts would not have beaten the Flyers without Fedotenko that series, and another clutch scorer would have been a giant boon the Flyers playoff run. Hell, it might have been Keith Primeau holding the cup over his head instead of Dave Andreychuk if not for that trade.

Rationalize it any way you want, but there is no doubt that right now, Tampa Bay has clearly won that trade. Even if down the road, Pitkanen turns into a superstar like Jarome Iginla, at the worst for Tampa, this will look like a Nieuwendyk/Iginla swap.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Yayo

I'd say that this trade could look a lot like the Nieuwendyk/Iginla deal in the future.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:59 PM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Interesting reflection upon the way humans think, in that usually when you ask if someone "won" something, it implies someone else has lost something.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:10 AM
The Moose

Feaster took the 34th pick, which he got in the Fedotenko trade, and sent it to the Stars for defenseman Brad Lukowich and a seventh-round pick in 2003.The 52nd pick, also from the Fedotenko trade, he dealt it to the Sharks for the 60th and 162nd picks. 60th pick turned into Adam Henrich (2nd rated prospect fpr Tampa according to HF ranking) and 162nd into Gerard DiCaire. Just to consider Fedotenko, Lukowich and Henrich I think is a hell of a return for Pitkanen. Now it's a win for Tampa; if indeed it is a win/win situation we'll see in the future.

Last edited by The Moose: 06-08-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old
06-08-2004, 12:18 AM
blah

This is ridiculous. I don't think there was a single GM in the NHL who would not have topped the Flyers offer if given the opportunity. That being said Tampa got what they wanted and the Flyers got what they wanted. That's really all that needs to be said about the deal. Anything more is over-analyzing.

Fedotenko another Jere Lehitnen? Are TB fans even hyping him up to be that? It's just one of those idiotic predictions people make. If they're right they look brilliant, and if not nobody cares they were wrong b/c it's an absurd prediction.

Would the Bolts have beaten the Flyers w/o Fedotenko? Probably, he really wasn't a big reason why they won. To say he was is a blatant overstatement.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Randall Graves*

Both teams win, you can't say Tampa lost when they got a guy who scored 12 goals in the playoffs including two in the winner.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Disco Volante

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Would the Bolts have beaten the Flyers w/o Fedotenko? Probably, he really wasn't a big reason why they won. To say he was is a blatant overstatement.
6 goals isn't enough?

(and I'm not saying Tampa won the trade, I think it will go down as one of those rare win/win situation... But Fedotenko was TB's best scorer against Philly).

Last edited by Disco Volante: 06-08-2004 at 12:37 AM.
Old
06-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Conservative
I say both teams win, especially if Tampa pulls this game 7 out. In the long run, I think Pitkanen will have more value than the package Tampa got for the fourth pick, but the Cup is priceless.
Agree with this. I don't think the Flyers would have won the Cup w/ Feds....Pitkanen will be a great defenseman for a long time, and Feds will help the Bolts push for a repeat next year....I say it's win-win.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

It's the kind of trade that looks like a win/win now, but only because of the success Tampa had. A good parallel is the Langway/Jarvis for Walter/Green trade, which is horrible in terms of "value" but looks ok for Montreal because they won the Cup a little while after.

Old
06-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Russian_fanatic

Well Fedetenko helped Tampa to the cup , so you can't complain it could turn out to be like the Joe Nywendyke(sp? lol) , for Iginla trade !

600th post

Old
06-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Vlad The Impaler

It's still a dumb trade in the value department. Clarke would have parted with Fedotenko for less than that. He took Feaster, just arriving in place, to school on this one.

I really like what Feaster has done. He came right away and made it his priority to turn this team competitive. However, it's simply common knowledge that you can get players like Fedotenko for much less. Top 4 draft picks deserve way better than that, IMO. Especially of Pitkanen's quality.

Feaster realized fairly quickly his mistake because he was less generous after that one.

The trade, BTW, has nothing in common with the Iginla/Nieuwie one. Nyeuwendyk was a proven star player, Iginla was a lower drafted 1st rounder who eventually developed into a top notch guy.

Nothing to do with Fedotenko/Pitkanen.

Old
06-08-2004, 03:17 AM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
I've heard that the reason Tampa traded the pick was because they weren't willing to offer the prospect they would've drafted a huge contract.

In a way - they didn't have to offer up a big contract and still got a solid, pretty young role player in return.

It fit exactly what Tampa needed at the time.

Old
06-08-2004, 03:19 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Hehehe but then Clarke was taken to school, even though he needed a center he got slammed by Washington. Oullette, a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd? OUCH

Closed Thread