HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"The trade" is forever even

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2004, 12:25 PM
ZombieMatt

vCash: 500
"The trade" is forever even

I was one of the most vocally critical people of the Tampa Bay organization for trading away Joni Pitkanen for Ruslan Fedotenko (and other picks). When it happened, I thought it was one of the dumbest trades I had ever seen. I thought Fedotenko was garbage when he played in Philly, and I always felt that Pitkanen was a sure fire #1-2 defencemen who could easily challenge for the Norris in future years.

I thought Tampa got violated in all sorts of orifices in this trade.

But I was wrong.

Because Ruslan Fedotenko was a DIRECT contributor to the Bolts winning the cup this year, and because of that, what they gave up is completely irrelevant. Fedotenko was one of the biggest reasons they beat the Flyers with six goals in that series, and capped it all off with the Cup clincher.

The point of a franchise is to win the Cup, and that trade helped Tampa do it immensely. It doesn't matter if Pitkanen goes on to win 6 Norris Trophy's anymore, because Tampa won it all, with ahuge contribution from Ruslan Fedotenko.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
As a Kings fan, I have to bring up the possibility of injuries.

Old
06-08-2004, 12:33 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 2 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountie
I was one of the most vocally critical people of the Tampa Bay organization for trading away Joni Pitkanen for Ruslan Fedotenko (and other picks). When it happened, I thought it was one of the dumbest trades I had ever seen. I thought Fedotenko was garbage when he played in Philly, and I always felt that Pitkanen was a sure fire #1-2 defencemen who could easily challenge for the Norris in future years.

I thought Tampa got violated in all sorts of orifices in this trade.

But I was wrong.

Because Ruslan Fedotenko was a DIRECT contributor to the Bolts winning the cup this year, and because of that, what they gave up is completely irrelevant. Fedotenko was one of the biggest reasons they beat the Flyers with six goals in that series, and capped it all off with the Cup clincher.

The point of a franchise is to win the Cup, and that trade helped Tampa do it immensely. It doesn't matter if Pitkanen goes on to win 6 Norris Trophy's anymore, because Tampa won it all, with ahuge contribution from Ruslan Fedotenko.
So then how is it even??

Old
06-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Spitfire11

They also used one of the 2 2nd round picks to acquire Brad Lukowich

Old
06-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Spezza

Agreed, Pitkanen can be a HOF player and score the most points ever in the league but the trade will always be at least even.

Old
06-08-2004, 04:44 PM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
So then how is it even??
Because it was pretty apparent by his play this season that Joni Pitkanen is going ot be a very good player, most likely a big time impact player, in the NHL.

Old
06-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
So if Philly wins the Cup next year (if there is a next year for the NHL) then the trade will once again be in our favour? Um, alright... God bless Lightning fans, always good for a laugh. :lol

Old
06-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Dave Carlson

Does there seriously need to be a thread about this on eveyr board here?

Old
06-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
So if Philly wins the Cup next year (if there is a next year for the NHL) then the trade will once again be in our favour? Um, alright... God bless Lightning fans, always good for a laugh. :lol
Hey they got the cup and he was a huge reason , Tampa's happy !

Old
06-09-2004, 01:21 AM
AvengerK

Send a message via AIM to AvengerK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
"Interesting reflection upon the way humans think, in that usually when you ask if someone 'won' something, it implies someone else has lost something."

I said this in another thread. Just because the trade worked out good for Tampa doesn't lessen its significance or impact for Philly.

Old
06-09-2004, 03:19 AM
Grizzly Adams

you should have used the sydor trade as an example.

Old
06-09-2004, 09:43 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
I agree, This trade was a huge huge reason the Lightning won the cup this year..... Kudos to Feaster.

Closed Thread