HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

40th Anniversary Opening Victory? In Ottawa? Hell yeah!

Old
10-08-2010, 10:52 PM
whiplash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post

That's all I have to say about tonight's game.... VERY impressive. If it wasn't for LeClaire, it could have easily been 5-1 Sabres.
I like the spirit and I do think Leclaire is generally a good goalie. But I think if it wasn't for the SABRES, this game would have been 5-1. Good god, I'm not complaining about a win, not at all. But Pascal was flopping around without a clue tonight and our finishing should have been much better

whiplash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 10:53 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Ottawa are the type of team that no one care's enough about (except Leafs fans) to hate...even though they're Canadian. They're the type of team you actually cheer for when they're the underdog or when they're playing against a team you actually hate. Also, PK Subban yesterday>>>>>E. Karlsson.

Vanek for a guy who isn't really playing with top 6 forwards at 5 v 5 is awesome.
Uhhhhh, I hate Ottawa. And I'm pretty sure almost everyone on this board hates Ottawa...

Old
10-08-2010, 10:58 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:

Vanek for a guy who isn't really playing with top 6 forwards at 5 v 5 is awesome.

no top 6 forwards? pominville is better then most rw's on a lot of teams.
the rest of the team is underrated. oh wait we won our division last year so they can't be underrated. go sabres.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:29 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Uhhhhh, I hate Ottawa. And I'm pretty sure almost everyone on this board hates Ottawa...
Agreed. If anything, the Leafs are the team not worth hating right now (though the fact that they almost take over our arena whenever they visit still irks me).

Cheap Shottawa is probably the most hated team to the majority of Sabres fans, followed by BOS/PHI/MTL (in no order) and then TOR.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:35 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
No, he wasn't invisible, but he was far from one of the more noticeable players on the ice. He was steady...sound defensively, took the body a few times, and made a couple key blocks. But for $5.3 million, I'd rather see dynamic than steady. I'd like to see him be an offensive threat each time he steps on the ice (like Roy and Vanek were tonight) and not just be rock solid (like Mike Grier).
So Pommer, like every other forward not named Roy, didn't score tonight. But he was solid in every other area of his game. Since he isn't flashy while not scoring he gets derided.

lets see

-PKed well (led forwards in PK ice time with 3:32)
-blocked shots
-a few nice hits
-was solid with Myers on the PP working the points (played 5:06 on the PP).
-was going hard to the net, got drilled for his efforts but it led to 2 PPs.
-game on the line Pommer is out PKing.

oh wait no dangle play to the net. He sucks.

I'll take his steady play over what Connolly brought tonight; a few nice dangles, a nice pass for a Vanek one timer. But was weak on the puck and IMO made a bone head play on the Sens goal. All he had to do was dump the puck back in the corner to continue the cycle. But instead he passes it to Leopold who has a Sen covering him. Basically giving Leopold little time to deal with the pass. Then Connolly watches Leopold battle for the puck in the neutral zone while Sens are skating past him. The guy that scored (Kelly) was Connolly's guy but he wasn't moving his feet when he passed him so was unable to catch him (plus he stumbled in his effort to catch up to him). If Connolly was moving his feet he could have either helped Leopold or at least given some backchecking support. Leopold certainly fumbled the pass and lost a 1 on 1 battle but Connolly did him no favors.

Connolly's play was part of the reason why that line played the least at ES (he played 8:43 at ES and 13:26 overall). He was even replaced for a shift by Nieds on that line. IMO the line had poor chemistry. There were some great individual efforts but as a line they didn't click very well.

The Vanek(10:16)/Connolly(8:43)/Pommer(8:48) line got roughly the same ES ice time as Goose(8:37)/McCormick(9:07)/Kaleta(9:11).

Ennis(12:27)/Roy(13:01)/Stafford(12:22) had the most ES ice time followed closely by Hecht(11:31)/Nieds(11:31)/Grier(11:25)

Last edited by joshjull: 10-09-2010 at 12:31 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
So Pommer, like every other forward not named Roy, didn't score tonight. But he was solid in every other area of his game. Since he isn't flashy while not scoring he gets derided.

lets see

-PKed well
-blocked shots
-a few nice hits
-was solid with Myers on the PP working the points.
-was buzzing the net,get drilled for his efforts but it led to 2 PPs.

oh wait no dangle play to the net. He sucks.
I don't think it's too much to ask your 5.3 million dollar forward to generate more offense. Sure, only Roy put two in the net, but other guys in the top six were making things happen offensively. I never said Pominville played a bad game. But he gets paid to do more than be steady. Niedermayer and Grier contributed on the PK, blocked shots, and had some nice hits too. Perhaps they just deserve a huge raise?

Pominville had a poor offensive season last year. Who knows, this might be a population boom in Pominville this season. But he's got to do a little more than play a good third-line kind of game.

And I'm not sure who said he sucks, so you should probably just erase your little shaky head emoticon because...well, it's not remotely relevant to the conversation.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:49 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Pommerz isn't and has never been dynamic. He put up big numbers when Briere was here and got paid as such. he's overpaid for sure, but as long as he plays a solid two-way game and pots 20-25 goald for us I'll be content because that's all I expect from him

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I don't

I respect them and their mastery of us over the years, I guess you could say... the three teams I 'hate' are the Flyers, Penguins and Habs.

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:19 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I don't think it's too much to ask your 5.3 million dollar forward to generate more offense. Sure, only Roy put two in the net, but other guys in the top six were making things happen offensively. I never said Pominville played a bad game. But he gets paid to do more than be steady. Niedermayer and Grier contributed on the PK, blocked shots, and had some nice hits too. Perhaps they just deserve a huge raise?

Pominville had a poor offensive season last year. Who knows, this might be a population boom in Pominville this season. But he's got to do a little more than play a good third-line kind of game.

And I'm not sure who said he sucks, so you should probably just erase your little shaky head emoticon because...well, it's not remotely relevant to the conversation.
When he is being called invisible I think that is pretty much saying he sucks.

I'm amazed that after one game posters are already starting this nonsense. Why in the world is he being singled out? Of our top paid players who was out at the end of the game to protect the lead? Who was getting PK minutes and led all forwards in PK ice time? It wasn't Vanek or Connolly it was Pommer. Yet that doesn't rate for anything on here because he didn't have a pretty play that led to no goal like they did. He did more to help win this game than either of those two (by helping to kill those late penalties). Almost scoring goals doesn't win games. Yet I don't see anyone getting on them or their salaries. Btw I thought Vanek was awesome but he didn't score. So by the logic being used to pound on Pommer he didn't earn his pay since he isn't being paid to almost score.

As I posted earlier, IMO the line had poor chemistry. There were some great individual efforts but as a line they didn't click very well. All 3 of those guys need to play more than they did at ES. You could argue they were the 4th line tonight.

Last edited by joshjull: 10-09-2010 at 12:54 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Odd to see people bagging on Pominville. He played a solid, well-rounded game and helped make his linemates (particularly Vanek) go. I especially liked him taking the body and putting his own on the line to block shots. He was pesky -- it looked like he, along with a number of players, were fairly determined tonight. I don't get the "Pomvisible" thing... He did things to help them win the game. Eh. It didn't take long for the agenda axes to start to grind again....

10-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Odd to see people bagging on Pominville.
Not really IMO.
Once a player gets a certain reputation on these boards, some people never let go.
I'm surprised you think it's odd.

Anyway, my randoms from GBU:

Good:
- Roy looks on a mission to prove last April was just a stretch of some bad games, not his true self
- overall, they played a good team game, lots of support on the puck and in their own end
- D was good, most of the time
- Vanek's energy
- Hecht-Nieds-Grier... those crafty old sods may not stick together that long (I expect Hecht to get with Pommer and Connolly), but they seemed to work well with each other.
Pity Nieds missed that sitter in the 1st.
- I though Morrisson played a calm game, and was probably the team's best D-man overall. Him and Sekera. Yes, Sekera.
It's not the mistake-free hockey, it's the level of calm and balls he suddenly seems to have found after more than a year.

Bad:
- not many things... maybe too little offensive zone time for Vanek's line
- Leopold on the Sens goal... that was actually pretty bad

Ugly:
- Neil
- Ruutu

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

The Beautiful:
-The new jerseys. I love the look of those road whites.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:48 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPsycho View Post
Good:
-Roy was amazing, epic game from him
-Miller
-Morrisson carried Myers
-Sekera was really, really solid
-Love the HNG and the Goose/Cody/Kaleta lines
-If Vanek plays like he did tonight, he'll score 40+
-PK was very, very good

Bad:
-Myers was rather shaky
-Stafford stupid, stupid play followed by an awful penalty.
-PP needs work for sure

Ugly:
-Chris Neil (can he be the new Brind'Amour)
Sorry, no on Morrison carrying Meyers. Morrison looks to be an upgrade from Tallinder as a compliment, but don't kid yourself. Meyers carried him, and will carry our defense all season. Meyers is one of the 5 best defenseman in the NHL, and he has turnovers because he can have turnovers. That's how good he is. He's one of the few players in the league that you can accept mistakes from, because he has the ability to cover them up, and the positives are greater than the negatives.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Goose08

im surprised monty isn't catching more flak. he made a couple bad plays with the puck on his stick and just seemed out of sync all night. I know a lot of posters are pretty high on him after last year but I thought he was one of our worst dmen tonight.

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:03 AM
HNJB*

Quote:
Ottawa are the type of team that no one care's enough about (except Leafs fans) to hate...even though they're Canadian. They're the type of team you actually cheer for when they're the underdog or when they're playing against a team you actually hate. Also, PK Subban yesterday>>>>>E. Karlsson.

Are you a Sabres fan? I would not cheer for them under any circumstances, unless we somehow needed a sens win for us to make the playoffs or something.

**** them, they are IMO the most hated team among the Sabres and their fans today

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:07 AM
HNJB*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Sorry, no on Morrison carrying Meyers. Morrison looks to be an upgrade from Tallinder as a compliment, but don't kid yourself. Meyers carried him, and will carry our defense all season. Meyers is one of the 5 best defenseman in the NHL, and he has turnovers because he can have turnovers. That's how good he is. He's one of the few players in the league that you can accept mistakes from, because he has the ability to cover them up, and the positives are greater than the negatives.
Woah woah woah, calm down there buddy. Myers has the potential to be a top 5 guy in the NHL but to say he is one after one season is absurd.

And the fact that you can't even spell his name kinda ruins the credibility of the post.

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:44 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Another good (just for direwolf):

- Nieds 6-for-8 at the dot.
Yes. That was absolutely the key. Because, if he had been 4-for-8, the game probably would have been completely different.

I'm embarrassed (and pissed) to say that I set my DVR wrong and missed the damn game. I can't believe I missed game 1. I was talking about it all day. I suck.

On the plus side, I'm enjoying a Great Divide Brewing Company Hibernation Ale. As the bottle cap says, "Great minds drink alike."

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 03:24 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Good:

-Roy with 2 goals tonight.
-Ennis-Roy-Stafford played really well, showing speed and good scoring chances.
-Morrisonn was very solid and him and Myers look good together.
-4th line was physical.
-Vanek was all over tonight and had about 5 good scoring chances including one off the post.
-Miller, as always.
-Sekera played a simple, solid game.
-Myers stepping up into the rush, leading to Roy's 2nd goal.
-PK got it done tonight.
-Hecht-Niedermayer-Grier played well defensively and had some good scoring chances.
-Winning in Ottawa to start the season.
-The new away jerseys.
-The offseason is finally over and Sabres hockey is back.

Bad:

-PP still continues to worry me, but it's only been a game into the season.
-Leopold getting out-muscled after a bad pinch which led to Kelly's goal.
-Myers had a few turnovers and looked a little shaky at times but I think it's because it was the first game of the season and he should be fine now; besides a few mistakes he still had a good game.

Ugly:

-As everyone else said, Neil. Oh, and Ruutu as well.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 04:08 AM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
It's one game, but when we look right now it seems like a good decision to bring in Morrisonn and Leopold.

Poor Tony is out for some time and Tallinder had a awful start for the devils.

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 04:59 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Thufferin thuckotasth.

That ith all.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 05:33 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan3383 View Post
Thanks, it's probably my favorite album ever.
I saw them do the album at the Riviera back in March, best concert I've ever been to.
That's awesome. I saw their live show in Rochester soon after the CD came out, and it was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. I've seen them three times since, and their new stuff just doesn't compare, either live or on disc.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 05:35 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post
It's one game, but when we look right now it seems like a good decision to bring in Morrisonn and Leopold.

Poor Tony is out for some time and Tallinder had a awful start for the devils.
I think I might have a man-crush on Morrisonn. What a signing.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 06:08 AM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I just want to bathe in the ridiculous that is this statement. I understand what you're saying is that you think he's good enough to recover from his turnovers but to ever just... admit that it's OK that they happened in the first place? Come on stokes?

No one is arguing that Tyler Myers didn't win the Calder Trophy last year. He had a sub-par game and Morrison was the better half tonight. It's not the end of the world for the Big Easy. Don't worry, be happy!

Last edited by Chainshot: 10-09-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old
10-09-2010, 07:32 AM
sabrestorm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugman View Post
just to add....
It makes me happy to see the Sabres wear real NHL jerseys again. Admittedly, I'm an old guy, but this is what Sabres jerseys really look like. Too many years of watching pretenders in black, red, white, pajamas with invertibrates, etc. ....welcome back.
Love it!!! I;am 43..old?? However have the sabres blue and gold and their home whites..Gilbert Perreault..of course!!

sabrestorm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 08:20 AM
glassjaw*

Good:
Roy's line
Niedermayer
Mo and Myers
Miller (he'll be in this category 90% of the time)
The PK

Bad:
Penalties late in the game by veterans
Hecht seemed a bit too careless at times
Leopold on the Sens goal

Ugly:
Neil's fat ugly pig face.
Ruutu's frog face.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote