HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

40th Anniversary Opening Victory? In Ottawa? Hell yeah!

Old
10-09-2010, 09:28 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
I was totally unimpressed with Ennis despite his two (accidental) assists He looked tentative and hesitant. Needs to be more dynamic. Pominville did nothing offensively, we need more from him in that area.

Myers looked shaky, too. Oh, well.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I was totally unimpressed with Ennis despite his two (accidental) assists He looked tentative and hesitant. Needs to be more dynamic. Pominville did nothing offensively, we need more from him in that area.

Myers looked shaky, too. Oh, well.
I thought Myers had a pretty solid game. He had a few turnovers, but covered up for a majority of them. Also, I didn't get a chance to watch the preseason, but he was a lot more physical than I remember. I loved his game today.

Yea, he had a couple turnovers, but he also had some great plays in his own zone (360s in his own zone, then a beautiful outlet pass to get it out...not too many players can do that), He had some great rushes (One that led to a goal), and played a very physical game. He had a few moments on the PP where he gave the puck away, but he also got his shot through A LOT on the PP. His defensive zone coverage was great, too. Miller had a very easy game until the third.

Overall: Not his best game, but he still showed dominance. I'd say he played pretty good.
I think Morrison is the perfect partner for him; he played GREAT.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:53 AM
GrierIsGod123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I don't think it's too much to ask your 5.3 million dollar forward to generate more offense. Sure, only Roy put two in the net, but other guys in the top six were making things happen offensively. I never said Pominville played a bad game. But he gets paid to do more than be steady. Niedermayer and Grier contributed on the PK, blocked shots, and had some nice hits too. Perhaps they just deserve a huge raise?

Pominville had a poor offensive season last year. Who knows, this might be a population boom in Pominville this season. But he's got to do a little more than play a good third-line kind of game.

And I'm not sure who said he sucks, so you should probably just erase your little shaky head emoticon because...well, it's not remotely relevant to the conversation.

BTW, I agree with everything that you have said. Pominville plays a third line game and doesn't generate enough offense (on his own) in most games. He's a solid player in every area of the ice, but he's a complimentary guy on a deep team, not a $5.3 million guy. He is obviously capable of more than he's shown in the last two seasons, but he seems to have settled into a very mediocre 20-25g/60-65p guy, when he's being paid to score 30-35/75-85p.

For people that get emotional about Pominville, it's an opinion of mine (and others) based purely on what I see in the game from the guy. You can go get a great PK'er for a mill. a year. Pominville's probably the Sabres fifth or sixth best guy on the PK. IMO Roy, Nieds, Grier, Hecht and Kaleta are all better. I watch him and he just doesn't have any substance to his game. He's very un-imaginitive out there, and relies too much on his linemates for success IMO. That said, while his contract is bad...we have enough offensive depth now that it should (in theory) help him be more productive this season.

BTW, Lindy may want to try putting Hecht back with Connolly and Pommers....or perhaps try switching Grier and Pominville. I have very little confidence in Vanek Connolly Pominville, there's no one to go get the puck...they'd have to rely on the rush too much.

Last edited by vcv: 10-09-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Keep it clean and on topic
GrierIsGod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Dubi Doo

On a side note: The Leopold-Montador pairing scares the hell out of me. I do not like them as our second pairing...

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:56 AM
ADoubleD

Leopold may have gotten outmuscled on the Sens' goal, but watch that play again just as much blame can be given to Connolly for that bone-headed pass, and for not getting in there to help Leopold.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:12 PM
MLH

Pominville was fine last night. He played well defensively and made a bunch of nice passes. If others were finishing their chances he would have had a couple of assists and would have been in everyones good column. Calling out a player for being invisible after the first game of the season is obviously laughable.

Roy is the best forward on the team. He's good in all three zones every night. Sure, he'll turn it over now and again, but you have to live with that from the only forward on the team that reliably creates his own offense. If the rumors of him maturing are true, he could elevate into the next tier of forwards around the league.

Didn't like Connolly, but I rarely do.

I liked that Vanek was getting seemingly dozens of chances because you figure he's going to eventually start to bury them, but he needs to finish. He doesn't do much other than score goals so when he's set up all alone he has to convert and last night he didn't. But good on him for getting open.

If the defense jells and Myers doesn't have a sophomore slump, Miller wins the Vezina again this year. He's simply amazing. I can't even imagine the numbers he would put up on a team that had some shut down defenders and played a defensive style. He's the best goalie in the league and I think he's a full level above anyone else.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:16 PM
buffalowing88

Good:
-Roy always brings his A-Game to Kanata.
-I liked Morrisson, steady game from him.
-Miller
-Grier-Nieds-Hect, that line is as good a shutdown line as you will find
-I was hesitant to warm up to McCormick because of the unskilled goon label, but he skated well enough out there and I think he's going to make Kaleta even more effective as a bodyguard of sort
-Sekera looked confident
-I like this new Drew Stafford a lot

Bad:
-Leclaire
-Ennis needs to give the puck up sooner or later, he's going to get laid out if he keeps dangling it for too long.
-Connolly needs to be more aggressive. This is a contract year, do something about it.
-Pominville played a solid game but I don't think that's acceptable when he's making the money he's making.
-Myers had some moments that concerned me about an upcoming sophomore slump but in his defense, I also saw moments where he looked like a man amongst boys and his confidence didn't appear to waver.

Ugly
-Chris Neil's mother

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:49 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

McCormick did everything I've been begging Goose to do for the past two years.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Fan-of-#9

What's happening HF crew - miss you guys.

Well hopefully last night was a sign of things to come...

Miller again looking like his Vezina self and perhaps Roy is FINALLY ready to grow up and take this game as seriously as he does his partying in Cancun...

Big win to start the campaign.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
What's happening HF crew - miss you guys.

Well hopefully last night was a sign of things to come...

Miller again looking like his Vezina self and perhaps Roy is FINALLY ready to grow up and take this game as seriously as he does his partying in Cancun...

Big win to start the campaign.
Hey Fo9.

10-09-2010, 03:18 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Hey F-o-9...

G:
The classic whites. Harmony restored to the universe.
Everyone's jump. Except for the last 5 minutes of the 2nd and first 5 minutes of the 3rd, I thought BUF really took the play to OTT.
I loved Stafford last night. There, I said it.
Everyone's feistyness.
Leclaire. Chain said he was fighting the puck, but heck, he kept it very close.
I really like Hank and Toni, but I'm thinking Darcy did a good job getting replacements.

B:
I did not see Montador's slash. At all. Phantom call.
Roy in the net in a late-game scrum. Yeah, BUF gave OTT some what-for, but they gotta watch out he doesn't get hurt.

U:
Neil's grandmother.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 04:10 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Vanek for a guy who isn't really playing with top 6 forwards at 5 v 5 is awesome.
Wait...what? Since when were Connolly and Pominville not top 6 forwards?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote