HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers 'Worst case' projection: No Playoffs For Next 3 Years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2010, 07:57 AM
  #1
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Panthers 'Worst case' projection: No Playoffs For Next 3 Years

And yet our projections assume no playoffs for the next three years.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,2913243.story

That's their worst case scenario and it's a good thing they are preparing for the worse but still such an outcome is unacceptable and I find it hard to believe that the Franchise would be viable at that point. In that case they better be planning to pay people to attend games.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 08:40 AM
  #2
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go
 
AwesomePanthers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,672
vCash: 500
If they need 3 years, give them 3 years. I don't wanna make the post-season, for then to lose in 4 games. Let them make a competative team.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 08:54 AM
  #3
Boooooth10
Registered User
 
Boooooth10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,235
vCash: 500
3 years seems pretty reasonable. Isn't that how long it took Tallon to fix the Blackhawks?

Although it would be nice to have a complete turn around next season like what Colorado did.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 08:57 AM
  #4
harv3317
Registered User
 
harv3317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
this team is going from bad to worse. there is no place in the world that a team would prosper with our history of success. they just don't get it!!!!! provide a winner with a winning atmosphere and the fans will come!!!! this team is a constant rebuild with no chance of winning!!!!! that's the way to build up a fan base!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:17 AM
  #5
Pantherkidd101
Don't Read This
 
Pantherkidd101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Miramar, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Pantherkidd101
Winnipeg Panthers

Pantherkidd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:19 AM
  #6
Egblad
I May Be The Stig
 
Egblad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 9,181
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
I was told unsolicited by two guys from the team, and I don't mingle particularly, but we happened to be on the plane, stuck in customs. The attitude is something they haven't seen before. The attitude comes from bringing a bunch of character guys, letting them know there's a plan.
Out of all that, this was the most interesting in my opinion. Man I hope he is right.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:20 AM
  #7
Georgia Panther
Registered User
 
Georgia Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BufordGA/FranklinNC
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
I think if Tallon isn't in the Playoffs by next season this sinking ship will have sunk. Don't expect a contender by then but two off-seasons should be enough to get a team in the Playoffs in a League where 16 of 30 teams make them.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:33 AM
  #8
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 17,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
3 years seems pretty reasonable. Isn't that how long it took Tallon to fix the Blackhawks?

Although it would be nice to have a complete turn around next season like what Colorado did.
Yeah, Tallon took over in summer of 2005. The Blackhawks didn't make the postseason until 2009. It took him 4 years to get them into the playoffs. Although, I don't think it'll take that long here. I think 3 years at the most, but probably more like 1-2 years.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:03 AM
  #9
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,284
vCash: 500
If we ever fix the special teams we'll make the playoffs. Our 5 on 5 play is adequate enough and would improve if we had more high end talent. I think the PK has improved with Weaver and Reasoner putting us at least in around 15th overall but our PP is an embarrassment and I don't see anyway that gets turned around unless we get a new coach for that.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:17 AM
  #10
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,184
vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
If we ever fix the special teams we'll make the playoffs. Our 5 on 5 play is adequate enough and would improve if we had more high end talent. I think the PK has improved with Weaver and Reasoner putting us at least in around 15th overall but our PP is an embarrassment and I don't see anyway that gets turned around unless we get a new coach for that.
it's all coaching? no way.

tho i have to mention this - did anyone catch GR's tweet the other day (after the fins game), quoting pete:

Quote:
Pete DeBoer to media: 'don't worry, I didn't fire our special teams coach today. But after our PP drills, I probably should.'

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:18 AM
  #11
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing
 
gizmo12688's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,190
vCash: 500
So.....we should all go away for three years and check on the team then, lol

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:18 AM
  #12
Holy Jokinen
Registered User
 
Holy Jokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa/Boca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
If we ever fix the special teams we'll make the playoffs. Our 5 on 5 play is adequate enough and would improve if we had more high end talent. I think the PK has improved with Weaver and Reasoner putting us at least in around 15th overall but our PP is an embarrassment and I don't see anyway that gets turned around unless we get a new coach for that.
I don't know, man. Our PP has looked like crap for a long while now, and we've had tons of coaches/asst. coaches. I think the PP might be an skill issue.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:54 AM
  #13
KittysGotClaws
We See Red
 
KittysGotClaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N of BB&T
Country: United States
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
Three years is not acceptable. In this NHL, there's no way to ensure an annual contender unless you get an all-world talent. We've picked in the top three how many times this decade and not gotten an all-world talent? There's just too much uncertainty in the NHL, and nobody's window lasts that long (again, unless you have super stars). You go for it whenever you can. The team needs playoff hockey, yes, even if it's as an eight seed getting blown out.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:02 AM
  #14
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
it's all coaching? no way.

tho i have to mention this - did anyone catch GR's tweet the other day (after the fins game), quoting pete:



I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:31 AM
  #15
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing
 
FlaPnthrsPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Coconut Creek, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 500
I think three years is the most we'll have to wait. Assuming we're going to finish near the bottom of the standings this season and if we have a good off-season with the draft and free agency, I think we may possibly have a good chance next season. If it really does take three years though, that's a bit ridiculous, but with this team I wouldn't be surprised.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:47 AM
  #16
panthersfan751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
Three years is not acceptable. In this NHL, there's no way to ensure an annual contender unless you get an all-world talent. We've picked in the top three how many times this decade and not gotten an all-world talent? There's just too much uncertainty in the NHL, and nobody's window lasts that long (again, unless you have super stars). You go for it whenever you can. The team needs playoff hockey, yes, even if it's as an eight seed getting blown out.
I absolutely agree, 3 years is not acceptable. I can see an argument for not being ready this year, but 3 years is just too long to wait for a market that's already waited for 10 years.

And for everyone who's comparing us to Chicago, they only needed 2 lottery picks to turn the organization around. We just got one and might get another this year. Plus Tallon already has Markstrom and Kulikov.

We need to try for the playoffs. Fans have heard enough talk from management over the years, and they will not return to the BAC in large numbers unless there's playoff hockey.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:53 AM
  #17
KittysGotClaws
We See Red
 
KittysGotClaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N of BB&T
Country: United States
Posts: 2,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
And for everyone who's comparing us to Chicago, they only needed 2 lottery picks to turn the organization around. We just got one and might get another this year. Plus Tallon already has Markstrom and Kulikov.
And, I think this is the million dollar question. Is Courtier in the same neighborhood as a Kane or Toews?

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:58 AM
  #18
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner
 
JonathanHuberdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Towanna
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws View Post
Three years is not acceptable. In this NHL, there's no way to ensure an annual contender unless you get an all-world talent. We've picked in the top three how many times this decade and not gotten an all-world talent? There's just too much uncertainty in the NHL, and nobody's window lasts that long (again, unless you have super stars). You go for it whenever you can. The team needs playoff hockey, yes, even if it's as an eight seed getting blown out.
Agreed. Philadelphia did it in one damn season. To be fair, we don't have the assets that Philadelphia had but regardless, the went out, signed players, traded guys and made their team better, yet we continue to suck for the past 10 years.

I understand us being terrible this season, but 3 more years of terrible hockey? That's not gonna fly.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:05 PM
  #19
Erick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 13,236
vCash: 500
If I were a player on this year's team, I'd be pissed to know that my own owner doesn't even believe that the team can get to the playoffs.

The season hasn't even started. Expectations should be no playoffs, but I don't think the owner of the team should be saying such things.

Anything can happen, especially in hockey.


Last edited by Erick*: 10-09-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:14 PM
  #20
pb1300
#CatsAreComing
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,837
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I see them on a two year plan to make the playoffs, with the 3rd year being the real push, which is really a 3 year plan because Im not counting this year. If they land Couturier next draft, and go through the growing pains of a year with Marsktrom, Couturier, Robak, etc., go into the following offseason with a gameplan in free agency, then the following year we could see them make the run. I think the process can be quicker if we were lucky enough to get Couturier or Larsson.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 12:53 PM
  #21
BabyJagrov
Registered User
 
BabyJagrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under the Sunshine
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
If we are lucky to get a top-3 pick this year (assuming Larsson, Couturier and Nugent-Hopkins continue their rises), and think our growing pains won't go that long !

As some other poster pointed out, Chicago needed two lottery-pick to turn it around... Gudbranson is the stepping stone of this plan ! Other amazing building blocks are Markstrom, Kulikov, Frolik, Booth... And another set of pretty good players in Weiss, Garrison, Ellerby, Robak, Matthias, Repik, Dadonov and others...

Then you have next off-season, you need to add the offensive dynamo the Hawks got when they selected Kane ! Nugent-Hopkins seems to be the obvious choice in terms of flash and electrifying play, Couturier wouldn't be a bad pick too...

McCabe, Vokoun, Stillman all coming off the books or bringing assets... We'll have loads of money to spend, and even if Tallon doesn't like next year's crop, he'll wait and assemble a competitive team for the 2011-2012 season...

I see our rebuild like Toronto's... But instead of going through the draft, Burke made two "great" trades for Phaneuf and Kessel, his two malor building blocks... The Leafs are going to compete for a playoffs spot this year !

Just like the Panthers next year. But just wait and see, we're 0-0 until Sunday !

Tallon will make it, I trust him !!

BabyJagrov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:01 PM
  #22
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,184
vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
If I were a player on this year's team, I'd be pissed to know that my own owner doesn't even believe that the team can get to the playoffs.

The season hasn't even started. Expectations should be no playoffs, but I don't think the owner of the team should be saying such things.

Anything can happen, especially in hockey.
kind of agree but i think the ones who should be pissed are #s 9 and 10. anyone else find it a bit ridiculous that viner is getting his information from a bunch of guys brought in on 1 year contracts or RFAs to be? jeez - this guy's as dumb as the last owner. those guys are playing for the next contract and that's it. of course they're going to talk about a "plan" but really, what does a bernier or higgins care about a 3-5 year plan? unbelievable.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:23 PM
  #23
Mogo
#GameOver
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 12,298
vCash: 814
Ok he says 3 years project to make the playoffs. Then the next question he answers there's nothing like playoff hockey so come to Panthers games???

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 02:12 PM
  #24
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom
 
Dread Clawz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 17,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
Agreed. Philadelphia did it in one damn season. To be fair, we don't have the assets that Philadelphia had but regardless, the went out, signed players, traded guys and made their team better, yet we continue to suck for the past 10 years.

I understand us being terrible this season, but 3 more years of terrible hockey? That's not gonna fly.
We also don't have the budget Philadelphia had. Ed Snider is one of the wealthiest owners in the league. That's why they were able to make all those moves.

If we are terrible this season though and get a top 3 pick, I really don't think it's going to take 3 years. We'd have way too much young talent for it to take that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
If we are lucky to get a top-3 pick this year (assuming Larsson, Couturier and Nugent-Hopkins continue their rises), and think our growing pains won't go that long !

As some other poster pointed out, Chicago needed two lottery-pick to turn it around... Gudbranson is the stepping stone of this plan ! Other amazing building blocks are Markstrom, Kulikov, Frolik, Booth... And another set of pretty good players in Weiss, Garrison, Ellerby, Robak, Matthias, Repik, Dadonov and others...

Then you have next off-season, you need to add the offensive dynamo the Hawks got when they selected Kane ! Nugent-Hopkins seems to be the obvious choice in terms of flash and electrifying play, Couturier wouldn't be a bad pick too...

McCabe, Vokoun, Stillman all coming off the books or bringing assets... We'll have loads of money to spend, and even if Tallon doesn't like next year's crop, he'll wait and assemble a competitive team for the 2011-2012 season...

I see our rebuild like Toronto's... But instead of going through the draft, Burke made two "great" trades for Phaneuf and Kessel, his two malor building blocks... The Leafs are going to compete for a playoffs spot this year !

Just like the Panthers next year. But just wait and see, we're 0-0 until Sunday !

Tallon will make it, I trust him !!
There's no way Tallon is going to rebuild like Burke is trying to do. Tallon is going to build through the draft. He's said it many times before, he keeps saying it, and yet people still don't believe him. I don't know why. He did the same thing in Chicago and he said that's what he's going to do here. Burke thinks he can bypass the draft and try some new strategy. The two philosphies are completely at odds.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 03:05 PM
  #25
BabyJagrov
Registered User
 
BabyJagrov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under the Sunshine
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 3,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
There's no way Tallon is going to rebuild like Burke is trying to do. Tallon is going to build through the draft. He's said it many times before, he keeps saying it, and yet people still don't believe him. I don't know why. He did the same thing in Chicago and he said that's what he's going to do here. Burke thinks he can bypass the draft and try some new strategy. The two philosphies are completely at odds.
Burke traded his picks and assets to get his two "franchise" players... Tallon is waiting and will draft his two, without giving the assets... That's what I was saying, I also wanted to point out that the LEafs will be competitive in year-two of the Burke's plan, and that's what I expect with Tallon's plan too !

I just compared the two for the time period... Burke chose the trades and free agency, Tallon chose the draft (his trades were made toward the draft) and free agency... They'll both get it right, and have a playoff team sooner than later !

BabyJagrov is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.