HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Binghamton Senators Continued

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
That was never a point of contention. I don't know if Lehner gained experience from being in Ottawa, I assume he did, but he would have gained the valuable experience of playing in Bingo- which is apparently much bigger than most give it credit.

What they needed to do was sign a goaltender to a 3-way contract - as is explained in detail in that post. What that would do is allow them to bypass the AHL completely and assign the goaltender to the ECHL - at $400 per week. So for ~$3000 they could have kept their prize goaltending prospect in the AHL gaining valuable experience, but in order to save that $3000, they didn't? Doesn't sound like the greatest idea to me personally.

Secondly, I made detail (painstaking I might add), that there was never any *real* danger of this goaltender playing in more than one or two periods of a blowout game - reason for this was documented in that I felt if the situation arose where Elliott really was hurt or sick, they'd call up Lehner and send down the recent signee.

All of this to say: you have to weigh your options carefully when it comes to a prospect like Robin Lehner. Do you want him taking shots from NHLers in practice, or taking shots from AHLers in pressure-packed game situations. Some will say that the NHL experience is far greater, others would argue that game situations is better.

But, it all comes down to knowledge and yes, creativity. Hope I explained myself this time.
What goalie would go for that deal? He would be a scrub. A scrub that had no business being anywhere near an NHL team, much less on the bench of an NHL team with the real chance of getting into a game with real points at stake.

Old
11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
What goalie would go for that deal? He would be a scrub. A scrub that had no business being anywhere near an NHL team, much less on the bench of an NHL team with the real chance of getting into a game with real points at stake.
Someone would have to research that. In an ideal world, you put pen to paper on a hometown guy like Fred Braithwaite, then release him from his commitment to Elmira (while still paying him his $3000). It's nothing more than a waste of one of your 50 contracts and again, it gives Robin Lehner 3 weeks of pro experience. Heck, Connelly would do, he's competent enough to back-up for Elliott - and again, if Elliott goes down, you call up Lehner and replace him in Bingo with Connelly.

Now it's starting to sound like a lot of trouble though.

Old
11-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

vCash: 1300
Can someone tell me whats with Hoffman, hows is play? He's not living to my expectations so far, is it because he's not playing significant minutes?

Old
11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 View Post
Can someone tell me whats with Hoffman, hows is play? He's not living to my expectations so far, is it because he's not playing significant minutes?
Stop following stats..he's fine and actually one of the better playing forwards, always around the puck and coming into his own..I really like Butler's play as of late as well as Condra's..

Also Locke is so skilled out there, patient plays and crisp passes..

Old
11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Cowen 2010 View Post
He did sure have an awesome costume last night and was the center attention for the Halloween party though

He's doing awesome. Needs to be better physically though.

Old
11-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeA View Post
Not sure on Brust being sent to Elmira that quick as this is a very busy stretch for Binghamton coming up..................

Yes between Brodeur & Leclaire at least 1 will get hurt again.

Ottawa recognized this last yr & signed Holt for depth last yr Brust this yr. Thank God they did.............

Brust is the # 1 goalie here now it is up to Lehner and or Brodeur to take that away from him.....................
He was the #1, Murray says otherwise.

Old
11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Stop following stats..he's fine and actually one of the better playing forwards, always around the puck and coming into his own..I really like Butler's play as of late as well as Condra's..

What have you thought of Gryba?

Old
11-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
What have you thought of Gryba?
Disappointing..maybe I'm looking for more out of him then their really is there..

Old
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Disappointing..maybe I'm looking for more out of him then their really is there..
No, I don't think you are. He looked light years ahead in the rookie camp, decent speed, nice outlet and quite an aggressive hitter. I'm hoping he'll adjust to the pros okay, although it's really early.

Old
11-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Erika

Could somebody tell me what in the hell is wrong with Roman Wick ?! I mean 0 points in 9 games ?!

Is he that bad or it's more because of bad luck ?! How did he look so far in the season ?

Thanks

Old
11-02-2010, 02:01 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika EllerWick View Post
Could somebody tell me what in the hell is wrong with Roman Wick ?! I mean 0 points in 9 games ?!

Is he that bad or it's more because of bad luck ?! How did he look so far in the season ?

Thanks
I read an interview lately, where he said he'd not give up und he'd try to play better, the coach would like his style of play, he mentioned.
What does someone who's seen him play think about his situation? Scoring used to be his main skill, we all know he's not a grinder, he has to score to impress...
He has just 16 shots so far, thats 1-2 per game. How come?
The interviewer also said that he'd move up to the first line, is that true?

thanks!

Old
11-02-2010, 08:49 AM
sens83

Quote:
I agree. As I said earlier, he seems to be playing weak. Not really throwing checks like I thought he would, not playing physical at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika EllerWick View Post

Thanks
Wick is not impressing me at all. He seems out of place on any line he plays on, and he seems disinterested. A very bad version of Illa Zubov. He kind of just doesn't seem to care. If he does, he doesn't seem like he's skating hard or back/fore checking at all. Kind of a neutral zone wanderer. Forget about playing along the boards with him too. Not sure what his deal is, but for all the hype on this kid, I'm not happy with his play. If I was coaching, his ass would be on the bench.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:30 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
I agree. As I said earlier, he seems to be playing weak. Not really throwing checks like I thought he would, not playing physical at all.
I'm so confused...when we saw him at development camp and the rookie tourneys - and even limited time in pre-season, he seemed excited about laying guys out. We thought that he'd be the guy to send a guy home in an ambulance in the AHL (not that we want that, but he was aggressive, big and really nasty), but to hear that he's not hitting...I don't understand. Perhaps the pros are so much faster that he's getting lost in the shuffle?

I'm crossing my fingers big time, not only as an Ottawa fan, but also because if he plays the way we saw him play in the AHL, he could really help Bingo a lot.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:39 AM
sens83

Quote:
I'm so confused...when we saw him at development camp and the rookie tourneys - and even limited time in pre-season, he seemed excited about laying guys out. We thought that he'd be the guy to send a guy home in an ambulance in the AHL (not that we want that, but he was aggressive, big and really nasty), but to hear that he's not hitting...I don't understand. Perhaps the pros are so much faster that he's getting lost in the shuffle?

I'm crossing my fingers big time, not only as an Ottawa fan, but also because if he plays the way we saw him play in the AHL, he could really help Bingo a lot.
Trust me, I'm just as confused. The few games he got at the end of last season he seemed like that kind of player too. This year, especially this past weekend, he seemed like half a player out there. Not sure what gives.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:17 AM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Quote:
I'm very pleased for Brust, MsConduct was a poster who knew him from...Minny I think and raved about him - she was right.

What have you thought of Gryba so far Zeke? Is he starting to look a bit more comfortable out there?
SpezDispenser on Gryba so far after what 9 games of which he has played 6 OK here is what I think of him so far.......................

Eric Gryba is being paired with Patrick Wiercioch on the third defensive pairing. KK does his best to keep them off the ice against the other teams top line. So far Eric Gryba seems a bit slow, a bit shy at times, and his hitting physical game needs improvement. This is Not college hockey anymore the AHL is a whole diff game so it is a period of adjustment for Eric Gryba & all the other 1st yr players down here now........................

SpezDispenser I do not rate the new players this early in the season, but you have asked me 2 times about Eric Gryba so the least I can do reply as you are a good poster here.

This is the way I have looked at it since 1973 in Binghamton do Not pre judge how any player will play as a rookie. Have an open mind weather he is a 1st round pick or a 7th round pick. The Ottawa Org has spent time and $$$$ on these prospects in the hope that some will make it up to play for Ottawa.

I try to sit back and watch them develop it takes time especially for D-men. I enjoy watching the players improve in front of my eyes. I have read where D-men can take 3+ yrs to develop.

Some players take a whole yr @ the AHL to start to show signs of getting better, case in point to that is 2nd yr player Jim O'Brien.........................

Ask me again in March on how Eric Gryba has improved, I will know a whole lot more about him then.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:43 AM
kyle747

Quote:

Ski, all some of us can do is look at stats

Whats the opinion on Butler - his speed with the puck impressed me at training camp. What does he look like out there ?

Old
11-02-2010, 11:18 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
SpezDispenser on Gryba so far after what 9 games of which he has played 6 OK here is what I think of him so far.......................

Eric Gryba is being paired with Patrick Wiercioch on the third defensive pairing. KK does his best to keep them off the ice against the other teams top line. So far Eric Gryba seems a bit slow, a bit shy at times, and his hitting physical game needs improvement. This is Not college hockey anymore the AHL is a whole diff game so it is a period of adjustment for Eric Gryba & all the other 1st yr players down here now........................

SpezDispenser I do not rate the new players this early in the season, but you have asked me 2 times about Eric Gryba so the least I can do reply as you are a good poster here.

This is the way I have looked at it since 1973 in Binghamton do Not pre judge how any player will play as a rookie. Have an open mind weather he is a 1st round pick or a 7th round pick. The Ottawa Org has spent time and $$$$ on these prospects in the hope that some will make it up to play for Ottawa.

I try to sit back and watch them develop it takes time especially for D-men. I enjoy watching the players improve in front of my eyes. I have read where D-men can take 3+ yrs to develop.

Some players take a whole yr @ the AHL to start to show signs of getting better, case in point to that is 2nd yr player Jim O'Brien.........................

Ask me again in March on how Eric Gryba has improved, I will know a whole lot more about him then.
Have I asked you twice? I'm chomping at the bit for the guy, I have to confess. I thought his transition would be seamless to the pros - but as you say, everyone has to be really patient with first year pros, no matter what their predigree.

Thanks for the words on him though, I have a feeling you'll be seeing a major improvement from him in the next 2 weeks to a month. He'll realize that he's not being physical enough and will start to make some big mistakes positionally (if the trend continues), then he'll start cleaning up the little pieces of his game.

I look forward to your comments (and Ski and SensFan83) on all the prospects. Thanks again!

Old
11-02-2010, 10:09 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

Has David Dziurzynski played a game in Bingo yet? If he has, has shown anything?

Old
11-03-2010, 07:42 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Has David Dziurzynski played a game in Bingo yet? If he has, has shown anything?
Aragorn,

He has played the past few games, but I can't say I've really seen him do anything worth noting. Maybe Ski or Zeke have paid more attention to his ice time?

Cowick and Spencer were sent down to Elmira, and Bailey and Dziurzynski have been playing a lot more.

Old
11-03-2010, 07:50 AM
koreaboy

Quote:
Brust is the # 1 goalie here now it is up to Lehner and or Brodeur to take that away from him.....................
i find it absolutely impossible to believe that the organization would let brust play the lion's share of the games down there as bingo's no.1. we just have too much riding on lehner's development for that to happen. good for brust, we hear he's playing pretty well, but unless he does something really dumb, lehner is going to be the no.1 down there and will be playing most nights.

Last edited by Bileur: 11-03-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old
11-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Kenny Bania
Thats gold Jerry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
i find it absolutely impossible to believe that the organization would let brust play the lion's share of the games down there as bingo's no.1. we just have too much riding on lehner's development for that to happen. good for brust, we hear he's playing pretty well, but unless he does something really dumb, lehner is going to be the no.1 down there and will be playing most nights.
Looks like Lehner is starting Friday night against Hamilton in Montreal.

http://twitter.com/PSBJoyOnTheSens

Last edited by Kenny Bania: 11-03-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Game is at the Bell Centre
Old
11-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
Agree.

Old
11-03-2010, 05:05 PM
TooLow494

i'm trying to get tickets again for the b-sens in montreal... i will let you guys know!

Old
11-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Alfredsson11

Lehner tomrrow
Brust Sat
TBA SUN

Old
11-04-2010, 11:11 AM
ZekeA
The Pride is Back...

Brodeur sent to Elmira..........................

11/04/2010
Mike Brodeur (G) Binghamton
DEL Loaned to Elmira/ECHL

Mike Brodeur will spend the weekend in Elmira on a conditioning assignment.

Closed Thread