HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Habs 10/09/2010

Old
10-09-2010, 09:42 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Plus/Minus - Penguins vs. Habs 10/09/2010

Plus

+ Eric Tangradi: This guy is giving Shero a bunch of reasons why he is a top 6 winger for the rest of his time in Pittsburgh. I love how physical he is in the offensive zone and he's really picking up on defensive zone responsibility.

Honestly, the only gripe I have with him is that he's wearing Fedotenko's number.

+ Big Z: It might be a bias, but I just love how solid this guy is. He's a lot better than Eaton and he does a lot of small things that go unnoticed. He's tough to compare to other players but he's just an all-around good defender. It seems like every shift he'll do anything to stop opposing offenses.

+ Tyler Kenndy: He might have only played 3 minutes tonight (exaggeration) but he's noticeable. He hustles and plays two way hockey. He causes chaos in the offensive zone. All that is missing is Staal centering Cooke and Kennedy and we have amazing depth. Kennedy's hustle even earned him one top six shift. Finally DB is listening to CW

+ Geno Malkin: He's still trying to do too much on his own, but he's so dangerous all game. Tangradi and Comrie also do a great job complementing his line. They are much better than Fedotenko and whomever.

+ Comrie: For 500k, this guy is deceivingly good. He's slow yet smart with the puck. You think he's weak, but then he's the one with the puck on his stick. He's complementing Tangradi and Malkin very well.

+ Mark Letestu: This guy makes some rookie mistakes, but he's always trying to do the smart hockey play. He's very intelligent and it shows on the ice. He covers defensively and plays well w/ Kennedy on L3. I think he'd be a great fourth line center and eventually a top 9 center on this team.

Minus

- Coaching: Here are a few things strategically wrong with the team:

1) There is too much line jumbling when there doesn't have to be. Let the guys go and get time to grow chemistry. We are all sick and tired of seeing lines that work changed for no reason.

I think it was Snooki Stackhouse in the GDT that said it best - the team had a lot of turnover and w/o Staal there, chemistry will take time. Let them have that time to gain chemistry.

2) Our powerplay is set for failure. You are running it through the weakest link on the ice (Gogo) and are asking him to do what Sarge did so well. You simply can not do that. Run it through your stars and let Alex be a complementary player. He'll be a lot better as a complement as opposed to THE guy that #55 was. The only reason Gogo isn't shooting is because he's not mentally tough enough to call his own number before the stars.

3) The system is awful to bring offensive threats. Nobody is driving to the net and all we are looking for is impossible passing lanes. When it becomes consistently bad, it becomes what our system is. Simplify it to a north/south game and get your players to stop and start to make the smart plays instead of doing it all individually. Play as a team w/ a team strategy.

- Mike Rupp: It's rare that you see a fourth liner not willing to give up his body to block a shot. He's out of position a lot and isn't doing the things he needs to as a fourth line contributor. Bad game for Rupp.

- Kunitz/Cooke: Both guys looks really bad out there. They aren't forechecking or backchecking and any time the puck is on their stick it's like a hot potatoe. Kunitz was trying to hit but still not the game I expect from one of our best wingers.

- Dupuis: Really struggling to start the season. It's really that simple.

End of the game - Look... some unlucky bounces went our way. I don't want to kill anyone because of that. We didn't play hard enough to be up 2 goals. **** happens. Play harder.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Jacob

Fleury kinda choked in that one.

Malkin and Crosby sure aren't helping our already sucky powerplay with giveaways and missed nets.

Lovejoy had a really good game. What a difference an NHL-caliber defenseman makes.

I really like Michalek, but I'm pretty sure it was a weak clear by him that eventually led to the tying goal.

Solid game by Talbot, Cooke and Letestu.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sideline

These are the notes I made as the game was happening. I’m just going to post them as is.

Goalies:
Fleury: first goal not his fault. Mishandled the puck in the second passing it through Letang’s legs. More rebounds than I like to see. God awful third goal. Cost the Pens a point for sure.
Johnson: apparently should have started.

Defence:
Goligoski: Skated well. Poise on the PP. Held the line on a Sid howitzer on the second PP. Great jump joining the rush. Nice breakout passes.
Michalek: Solid positioning. Made a few nice plays in the corners to support his partner. Boxes out well. Made Cammalleri his ***** one on one with about 5 minutes left in the third; man crush begins.
Martin: Great positioning to block the pass in tight on the second PK situation. Really noticed him making the little plays. Worth every penny.
Letang: Thank Mr Shero for your 5 million dollar security blanket.
Orpik: good work on the PK.
Lovejoy: Caught flat footed by Boyd near the end of the first.

Forwards:
Malkin: offside a couple times. He was a beast down low. I want to see that shot on his goal a bajillion times a game. Nifty drop pass to Tangradi in the second.
Comrie: This is a team guy, standing up for Letang. Trade Godard we’ve got a new goon. Really nice redirect with his skate to Malkin in the second period on the power play.
Tangradi: flubbed his chance all alone. Good back checking. Bullied a lot of Habs. Nice two on one play getting it to the net.

Kunitz: Clever little pass to Sid on the first PP.
Dupuis:
Crosby: Filled in Subban. Great looks early on. Robbed by Price on the first PP. Sweet pass to Geno on the first goal. Hit the net please.

Cooke: In one scrum in the second he face washed two guys at the same time AND clipped one of them with his stick on the way out. The man is a first class *******.
Letestu: always in position. Smart player. Honestly think he could be this year’s Rich Peverley. Sweet shot on 2nd goal.
Kennedy: Skated well. I thought he missed coverage on the Cammalleri first goal, others say it was Orpik.
Rupp: 2 penalties
Talbot: good energy. Got in guys faces. Terrible on face-offs.
Adams:

Coaches:
Bylsma: gave us some of the TCM line and it was good.

Announcers:
Bob Cole: senile.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

+/-

+ - Malkin looking good, beastly even.

+ - Sid playing well, I'm surprised he held his composure against Gill and Subban.

+ - Letestu - Looking super good

Minus

OMFG FLEURY........... Why the softies?!@ All the time! I wouldn't be so mad if he didn't make some amazing acrobatic saves. I'm still waiting to see the 5million dollar goaltender we drafted get back to form.

Rupp - Overall not really a great game for him, though he did punish Subban pretty good once.

PP - Why isn't Malkin in his proper spot all the time?

Did I mention Fluery?!?!

sEmowashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Ugh.

+ First 57 minutes of Fleury

- Last few minutes of Fleury

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:48 PM
sampollock

good game, great pace

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Kinguin

I'd like to know why Kennedy played only 08:46 and Tangradi 13:42.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
ProdigalOne*

What? Tangradi looked like an AHLer out there. He was slow and awful along the boards for a player his size. He had a few good rushes/chances but he shouldn't be on the team based on this game. Fleury typical giving up an awful goal he should have stopped. He wasn't really tested otherwise. Martin wasn't very impressive either. He can skate the puck up a bit but other than his speed nothing he did was overly impressive. One thing for sure is that Malkin is going to be better this year. He was dominant tonight and seemed like the only penguin in form... playing like a Hart trophy winner and Art ross winner tonight.

ProdigalOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:50 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

SOF

same ol fluery

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalOne View Post
What? Tangradi looked like an AHLer out there. He was slow and awful along the boards for a player his size. He had a few good rushes/chances but he shouldn't be on the team based on this game. Fleury typical giving up an awful goal he should have stopped. He wasn't really tested otherwise. Martin wasn't very impressive either. He can skate the puck up a bit but other than his speed nothing he did was overly impressive. One thing for sure is that Malkin is going to be better this year. He was dominant tonight and seemed like the only penguin in form... playing like a Hart trophy winner and Art ross winner tonight.
Uh... what?

Old
10-09-2010, 09:51 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalKing71 View Post
how does MAF not get a -?

It was a bad bounce. Even the second goal was a bad bounce. That happens when you don't play tough for 60 minutes and need to rely on a one goal lead to win.

I can't call out Fleury for that even though I wish he'd make that save.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:52 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguin View Post
I'd like to know why Kennedy played only 08:46 and Tangradi 13:42.
You, sir, are my favorite. Thank you for pulling that stat. I'm always too lazy to look at ice-time stats but that really frustrates me.

Those are our top 2 wingers at this point. They need to be on at least 15 minutes each.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
SOF

same ol fluery

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

God Damnit Fleury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
It was a bad bounce. Even the second goal was a bad bounce. That happens when you don't play tough for 60 minutes and need to rely on a one goal lead to win.

I'm a Fleury defender but that last goal was inexcusable. You keep your paddle between your legs, something which would have prevented that goal.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:54 PM
ProdigalOne*

Quote:

You have to call him out. This same **** since he won the cup has cost us many games. He just cant make the easy saves and be in good position. The first goal he was completely clueless.

ALSO, Why after the 3rd goal did they put the THIRD line out there? They ended up pulling the goalie with the third line out because they stayed out so long.... and almost lost the empty netter as a result. Just horrible coaching by Bylsma.

People thought Tangradi was good? He went to the net... but did nothing. He did nothing that i could notice along the boards. His line was all Malkin and Comrie.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:56 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
I'm a Fleury defender but that last goal was inexcusable. You keep your paddle between your legs, something which would have prevented that goal.
Quote:
You have to call him out. This same **** since he won the cup has cost us many games. He just cant make the easy saves and be in good position. The first goal he was completely clueless.

ALSO, Why after the 3rd goal did they put the THIRD line out there? They ended up pulling the goalie with the third line out because they stayed out so long.... and almost lost the empty netter as a result. Just horrible coaching by Bylsma.

Sorry guys. I might actually be delusional as to what happened because my mind just doesn't want to believe he let that in. My guess is that you were right, but for my sanity... I'm going to believe it was a bad bounce.

Old
10-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Sideline

Quote:

I'm calling Fleury out for the third goal. That's something kids in Peewee would risk riding the pine for if they gave up a goal that weak.

As for the PP I think the set up as is could work, if Sid and Geno would just hit the net. I think the coaching staff probably has Goligoski looking pass first because he's the last man back and getting his shot blocked could lead to an odd man rush the other way.

Out of curiosity what mistakes did you see from Letestu?

Last edited by Sideline: 10-09-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: me no write good
Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:00 PM
ProdigalOne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I'm calling Fleury out for the third goal. That's something kids in Peewee would risk riding the pine for if they gave up a goal that weak.

As for the PP I think the set up as is could work, if Sid and Geno would just hit the net. I think the coaching staff probably has Goligoski looking pass first because he's the last man back and getting his shot blocked could lead to an odd man rush the other way.

The powerplay did not finish, but both the entries to the zone and the puck movement looked better than last year at first glance. If like you said Goligoski, who missed the net completely on 2 good chances, and Malkin/crosby would just hit the net we may have had at least one of the powerplay.

Who else thinks that at least letestu and Kennedy were better than Tangradi? I felt Tangradi was weak overall..

Old
Jacob

Quote:
I'd like to try and keep track of games where Fleury gets clearly outplayed by the opposing goalie. I feel like such a stat would be really significant... So far it's 2 games.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post

There are sometimes where he hesitates. He does it a lot in the neutral zone on where to be in the 1-2-2. He gave a puck away in the 3rd but then quickly made up for it for a great back-check. Another important mistake is rushing in the offensive zone and firing it behind the net to the weak side when that isn't the direction of the cycle.

These aren't terrible mistakes, but they are youthful mistakes.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

The Power Play. What an abortion.

This needs to come back:

Get the damn puck on net! It's not that hard! Quit looking for the open shot and shoot the damn thing!

Old
10-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

That last goal needs to be made 100% of the time, but to be honest it shouldn't have mattered. With the opportunities the Pens had it should have been a 5-3 win instead of a 5-2 win.

MAF has been good enough to win both these games, the Pens' offense hasn't.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:05 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
That last goal needs to be made 100% of the time, but to be honest it shouldn't have mattered. With the opportunities the Pens had it should have been a 5-3 win instead of a 5-2 win.

MAF has been good enough to win both these games, the Pens' offense hasn't.
I'll agree that our lack of hustle for 60 minutes is causing these tight games to occur. We could have put both teams away early.

Old
10-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Kinguin

Quote:
Sorry guys. I might actually be delusional as to what happened because my mind just doesn't want to believe he let that in. My guess is that you were right, but for my sanity... I'm going to believe it was a bad bounce.
Yeah, unfortunately this one is greatly on MAF, Cole. We count on him to secure this type of lead and we can't count on scoring galore.
Another point, I think we left a bit too much room in the middle for them tonight, we gotta be better positioned as a team in the neutral zone as well.

Kinguin is offline   Reply With Quote