HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery the Enabler

Old
10-09-2010, 09:20 PM
mhurley

vCash: 500
Avery the Enabler

While it was great to see Stepan and the rest of the kids have a great night, one cannot deny that Avery's smart plays were the reaosn for two goals being scored.

Avery made good decisions with the puck all night and I don't think he went off side once. Sean had 2 points and was a +3.

How about a little appreciation for Sean?

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Here Here!

Great game Sean!

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:25 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
While it was great to see Stepan and the rest of the kids have a great night, one cannot deny that Avery's smart plays were the reaosn for two goals being scored.

Avery made good decisions with the puck all night and I don't think he went off side once. Sean had 2 points and was a +3.

Agree. Sean made heads up decisions all night long. He and Stepan could be a good fit on the same line.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Greg02

Absolutely.

Everyone is (deservedly) fangasming over Stepan today, but there were a bunch of players who were spectacular today. Avery was certainly one of them.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Agree. Sean made heads up decisions all night long. He and Stepan could be a good fit on the same line.
Both have good hockey smarts. Avery's play always will be overlooked by his agitating but he should score 40-50 points this year.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think I can say that there wasn't a single forward besides Boogs who I disliked on the ice tonight.

Every line was effective- the top 9 was bold and obviously solid while the 4th liners (well, Boyle and Prust) were doing plenty right as well.

But yes, Avery's game tonight was very good and a reminder to people why he deserves a spot in the NHL.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Props to the whole freaking team in general.

Del Zotto is an amazing +3! Whoa!

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Provolone*

I started him in my fantasy league, i BELIEVE.

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Section311

That whole line looks really good.

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah the whole line was great.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Aves had one brutal giveaway / blind pass, but other than that, great game.

That 3rd line continues to play solid hockey as well. I'm stoked.

Last edited by Loffen: 10-09-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 10:47 PM
DutchShamrock

Problem is this: What happens when Drury comes back? At this point, the least disruptive move is to put him on the 4th instead of Boyle. But Boyle looked good and he is the guy for that role. If you put Drury on the 3rd where he belongs, the line chemistry is upset and you now waste Avery (and I believe Drury and Avery will not mesh well). Then you also have the decision of putting Stepan on the 1st and scratching EC or sending Stepan down to play.

Or Drury on the 1st which is a horrible idea. We are going to upset the chemistry of half the team with Drury's 'addition'. I put it is quotes because it will ultimately be a subtraction.

DutchShamrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
mhurley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Problem is this: What happens when Drury comes back? At this point, the least disruptive move is to put him on the 4th instead of Boyle. But Boyle looked good and he is the guy for that role. If you put Drury on the 3rd where he belongs, the line chemistry is upset and you now waste Avery (and I believe Drury and Avery will not mesh well). Then you also have the decision of putting Stepan on the 1st and scratching EC or sending Stepan down to play.

Or Drury on the 1st which is a horrible idea. We are going to upset the chemistry of half the team with Drury's 'addition'. I put it is quotes because it will ultimately be a subtraction.
Boy you sure know how to rain on a parade.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Drury will block another shot and break another finger.

Seriously, only place for Drury will be the fourth line. Too bad for Boyle.

Hope seeing Drury and his big contract playing on the fourth will stick in Sather's craw.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 11:21 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Drury on 4th line & the other 3 rotate nights off

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:03 AM
XLJ

That line has played well including in the preseason Torts cant break them up. 2nd line looked good too tonight. Drury should be on the 4th line when he gets back.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 12:12 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Tonight's game was the perfect example of how Avery can be an effective player even without playing on the edge or being the center of attention.... He has the skills to contribute without that part of his game....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post

Agree with this. I wish Drury would just go away.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 04:15 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

right now drury goes on the 4th line center position, and when prospal comes back, id put him on the top line instead of Christensen, move christensen to 4th line LW, and sit Boogaard who is just a waste of space out there. or flip em and move drury to 4th line LW and Christensen to 4th line center.

Something like..

Frolov Prospal Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Avery Stepan Fed
Drury Christensen Prust

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:09 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
right now drury goes on the 4th line center position, and when prospal comes back, id put him on the top line instead of Christensen, move christensen to 4th line LW, and sit Boogaard who is just a waste of space out there. or flip em and move drury to 4th line LW and Christensen to 4th line center.

Something like..

Frolov Prospal Gabby
Dubi AA Cally
Avery Stepan Fed
Drury Christensen Prust
Boyle needs to play. Is there a 5th Lne?

Honestly, people can finally see Captain Vanilla for what he is...a very good complimentary player on the right team..but not the Rangers. Damn NMC

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 05:19 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Boyle needs to play. Is there a 5th Lne?

Honestly, people can finally see Captain Vanilla for what he is...a very good complimentary player on the right team..but not the Rangers. Damn NMC
From the sound of Sam lastnight it doesn't sound like Prospal will be back anytime soon. As far as Avery he had a very nice game without putting the team in bad positions and getting into PIM trouble. If #16 can put up 20 goals this year and play a solid pest role thats a huge bonus for us.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:37 AM
eco's bones

I don't know. Boyle is just about perfectly suited for 4th line center. His size is very handy and he's become defensively responsible and a pretty good pk'er. If he uses that size more it will help the team.

As for Boogaard--whether some like him or not he has to play against certain teams. I have no interest in replaying the Carcillo-Gaborik thing over again and something like that is bound to happen if the Rangers don't play him. We lived through a lot of growing pains with Orr and he eventually became--maybe not a good player but better--or a kind of passable 4th line player.

Right now I don't know where Drury slots in but I expect he will. Another injury might open up a spot as well. You never know--I don't know if it's a bad problem to have--though I wish we had never signed him. Ideally I think he's better suited for the wing--not center. He's not a great puckhandler or puck mover/playmaker. He tends to think 'shoot' before 'pass'. He's not that fast and he's a little bit better than average on faceoffs.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Matteau Matteau

Yup...his fast backhand pass to the front of the net was gorgeous. I believe Avery's skills are underrated. How many times have we seen him make passes like that to set up goals?

Great game for Sean.

I heart Aves.

Matteau Matteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:18 AM
ruckus*

Once again proving how he's one of the most underrated players in the league.

One of the best forecheckers and passers on the team.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post

Who was the guy here who was proclaiming that Sean Avery has everyone fooled into believing he's a good hockey player and saying Avery is cr*p?

I remember reading that and laughing hysterically at the absurdity and those comments. Anyone who knows anything about the game of hockey, knows Sean is a good hockey player and has a ton of hockey smarts. As well as a good skill set to go along with his smarts.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Garv23

I'll jump on the Avery Fanboy Bandwagon when he plays like this consistently.

He had a great game. As did the whole line.

Garv23 is online now   Reply With Quote