HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Greiss (clears)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-11-2010, 01:23 AM
  #101
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 37,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatcanuck View Post
Bad Asset Management on HF = Not getting any return.

You guys really don't think that ever since Niemi was signed, that they haven't been trying to move Griess? You really think that they didn't know that their goalie depth would be 3 deep?
c'mon guys

The fact that Niemi wasn't re-signed by Chicago probably took SJ off guard. If they had known that sooner, SJ probably could've/would've moved Griess for some return. The fact that Griess is waved means that there is no market right now for Griess or that GMS were just waiting for Griess to go on waivers.

Not really a case of bad asset management, its more of a case of a efficient market.
It's not bad asset management because they're getting nothing for him. It's bad asset management because they didn't have to waive him. They have the cap space to keep him there until they could have made a trade. They had enough people that didn't require waivers to be sent down to keep him on the roster until a trade is made. There was nobody among those waiver exempt players that really stood out or couldn't use some games in Worcester. Right now, we're running with Tommy Wingels, John McCarthy, and Frazer McLaren who could've been sent down instead.

It's still bad asset management here. I completely understand the goalie saturated market but they should've kept him and ran with three goalies if they had to. I would've preferred them trading Niittymaki if anyone was interested but I doubt that was the case either.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:28 AM
  #102
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Atlanta maybe? I know Pavelec was released from hospital today, but there's no way he's playing for a while. Randomly losing consciousness isn't something to take lightly.
Almost certain he'll be playing sometime within in the next couple of weeks once his concussion heals since he checked out fine at the hospital. Atlanta has a couple of guys in Mannino / MacIntyre that probably deserve another chance at the NHL anyway.

Also, this is a ton of talk about a guy that has trouble keeping a .900 SV% in the AHL. I thought conventional knowledge was for goalies to build consistency before they get a long look at the NHL.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:36 AM
  #103
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 5,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Also, this is a ton of talk about a guy that has trouble keeping a .900 SV% in the AHL. I thought conventional knowledge was for goalies to build consistency before they get a long look at the NHL.
When exactly did Greiss have trouble keeping a .900 SV%?

He had one below average year behind a weak Worcester team. Seeing how the other goalies didn't fare any better, it seems like the team wasn't much of a help for the goalies. In the other two years he was easily above 90%, on average he was closer to 91% actually. Same in the NHL, he didn't play much, but his stats where very good.

If someone can deliver above 91% in the NHL, even when it's just in a minor role, why exactly should he be in the AHL to "build consistency"?
He had shown that he was good enough for the NHL, there simply was no reason to let him play AHL any longer.

Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:02 AM
  #104
Le Rosbeef
Registered User
 
Le Rosbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It's not bad asset management because they're getting nothing for him. It's bad asset management because they didn't have to waive him.
I'd argue that leaving a guy in the press box is as bad asset management as you can get. He wasn't going to get a look in with Niitymaki and Niemi, let's be brutally honest.

And clearly there's no trade market for him. Sharks have had Niemi for several weeks. Saying we can wait until there is smacks of misguided optimism if you ask me.

He's a good young goalie, no more, no less. He's not a starter, he's possibly a back up. All those speculating he's the next coming of Patrick Roy need a reality check...

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:09 AM
  #105
Twist and Shout
Registered User
 
Twist and Shout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,283
vCash: 500
Pathetic asset management. He has the tools to be an NHL #1.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:23 AM
  #106
Takao
kesbae
 
Takao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southern California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,261
vCash: 500
Oh man

Would be hilarious if Murray picked him up

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:51 AM
  #107
kyle evs48
No words needed
 
kyle evs48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 30,276
vCash: 500
Gotta love the armchair GM's saying he didn't have to be waived. Obviously he did, since the people running the show decided to waive him.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:09 AM
  #108
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 12,196
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Gotta love the armchair GM's saying he didn't have to be waived. Obviously he did, since the people running the show decided to waive him.
Thanks champ!

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:36 AM
  #109
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Gotta love the armchair GM's saying he didn't have to be waived. Obviously he did, since the people running the show decided to waive him.
Yay for circular logic.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:36 AM
  #110
Lexicon Devil
Registered User
 
Lexicon Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It's not bad asset management because they're getting nothing for him. It's bad asset management because they didn't have to waive him. They have the cap space to keep him there until they could have made a trade.
Cap space is also an asset, especially when you have so little of it (capgeek says just 307k ?). It doesn't make sense to keep Greiss around doing nothing and burning 100k in cap space or so in the hope that somebody decides to offer a mid-round pick for him - which they probably won't because you are in no position of negotiating strength desperately trying to deal your third goaltender. The return that you would get wouldn't be worth the cap space burned.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 08:46 AM
  #111
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 37,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
I'd argue that leaving a guy in the press box is as bad asset management as you can get. He wasn't going to get a look in with Niitymaki and Niemi, let's be brutally honest.

And clearly there's no trade market for him. Sharks have had Niemi for several weeks. Saying we can wait until there is smacks of misguided optimism if you ask me.

He's a good young goalie, no more, no less. He's not a starter, he's possibly a back up. All those speculating he's the next coming of Patrick Roy need a reality check...
Potentially losing an asset unnecessarily is still worse than an asset that you have sitting in the press box. I wasn't expecting him to get a look. They made that obvious when they didn't play him in the preseason even though he looked better than the other two. The trade market is also no reflection on the player itself either. Nobody is expecting him to be Patrick Roy but I like the over-exaggeration there for your argument. He has the tools to be a solid #1 in this league and is arguably already equal to the two they gave the spots to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Cap space is also an asset, especially when you have so little of it (capgeek says just 307k ?). It doesn't make sense to keep Greiss around doing nothing and burning 100k in cap space or so in the hope that somebody decides to offer a mid-round pick for him - which they probably won't because you are in no position of negotiating strength desperately trying to deal your third goaltender. The return that you would get wouldn't be worth the cap space burned.
The cap space isn't really relevant here. The Sharks could've sent down Tommy Wingels to Worcester, which he'll end up going back there eventually anyway, and save more than they do by waiving Greiss. They're also not going to have any problems making a trade anyway because they have a lot of other disposable assets to move back like Kent Huskins. If cap space was the true motivation, they would've kept Greiss and let go one of the two million dollar goalies that won't be a legitimate starter and is at best a platoon guy they didn't need in the first place.

The whole thing is that they have the cap space and roster room to keep a 550k goalie until a trade came up or even through the whole year into next off-season when more spots open up.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:02 AM
  #112
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions
 
Dragon Priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Metalheaven
Country: United States
Posts: 2,252
vCash: 500
Wouldn't be surprised if Nashville picks him up.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:26 AM
  #113
feichter
Registered User
 
feichter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 417
vCash: 500
I can't really see him getting past philly, IMO, but if he does, Hawks should take him.

feichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:43 AM
  #114
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,931
vCash: 500
His AHL career was wholly unimpressive by the looks of things, should San Jose really be worried about the loss of a guy who's probably going to be a career back-up?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:44 AM
  #115
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl2VinceNeil View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if Nashville picks him up.
That's my guess too.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:44 AM
  #116
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Middle America
Country: United States
Posts: 80,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
His AHL career was wholly unimpressive by the looks of things, should San Jose really be worried about the loss of a guy who's probably going to be a career back-up?
He's clearly worth a ton of picks and an amazing player. So yes, they should.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:50 AM
  #117
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close
 
SeanVT395's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
A lot of Flyers fans would love us to be able to Claim Greiss, but there's just too many reasons why it would not work.

first and foremost:
Boucher
Leighton
Bobrovsky
Backlund

might as well throw our best prospect Eriksson in there (whose playing in the SEL this season) as well.

Where do we fit him?

second, I doubt 28 other teams would pass up Greiss before Philly gets their choice.

and lastly The flyers orginization just would not do this period. They have a reputation for rewarding players with contracts or extensions for good play or because they like them as well as being loyal to the players within the orginization. (for most recent example see Michael Leighton) To make room for Greiss Holmgren almost certainly would have to waive another goaltender, which as much as most Flyers fans would love to get rid of Bouch or Leighton, we need more than a goalie tandem with a combined experience of 2 NHL games.

/rant

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
  #118
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
You don't keep three goalies on your roster the entire year

That's just idiotic and unfair to all of them

Anthony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
  #119
Telfo
THRASHERS
 
Telfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,879
vCash: 500
word is ATL claimed him

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:59 AM
  #120
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,928
vCash: 500
I don't see the big deal...the guy has some potential, but SJ obviously felt that the two goalies on their roster are better and there was obviously 0 market for him. Having a player on your pro roster with no chance of actually playing isn't good. Probably a case of SJ heading off a potential distraction down the road by doing this now.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:13 AM
  #121
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Gotta love the armchair GM's saying he didn't have to be waived. Obviously he did, since the people running the show decided to waive him.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 11:27 AM
  #122
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfo View Post
word is ATL claimed him
I think he's on waivers until tomorrow at noon EST because he was put on waivers during the weekend.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 11:32 AM
  #123
Telfo
THRASHERS
 
Telfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
I think he's on waivers until tomorrow at noon EST because he was put on waivers during the weekend.
probably not true anyway. it makes no sense

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
  #124
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Was Greiss claimed?

I tried finding the information - but disliking Twitter; I couldn't find it on TSN, NHL or in the thread on him.

Anyone know?

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 11:57 AM
  #125
The Fuhr*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
48hrs since waived on weekend

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.