HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thomas Greiss (clears)

Old
10-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Zubrus Coffee Maker
Blinded by my Zubrus

vCash: 500
well, it is possible that DW sent out an e-mail to the other 29 teams requesting they not stake a claim. this could possible be the reason nobody claimed greiss, so they didnt ruin their relationship with DW.

just a thought

Zubrus Coffee Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:56 PM
ej_pens

Send a message via AIM to ej_pens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhark Attack View Post
well, it is possible that DW sent out an e-mail to the other 29 teams requesting they not stake a claim. this could possible be the reason nobody claimed greiss, so they didnt ruin their relationship with DW.

just a thought
Did he say pretty please also?

No GM is going to do that if it is a move that will help his team.......not one.

Not only that, but I guarantee you that the NHLPA would be ALL OVER something like that, which is to say that no GM would even dare try it.

ej_pens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks19 View Post
As a Sharks fan who has watched him play... He's not even that great
Yeah, this shouldn't be too surprising that Greiss cleared. His ceiling doesn't appear to be more than a good backup. Which certainly has value, but he's not really worth a waiver claim right now at this point of the season and this point in his development.

I mean, this isn't a ton different than if seven or so years ago Maxime Ouellet got waived...I'm sure HF would have exploded over that too because he has "so much potential" when in actuality he never surfaced. Greiss might hang on in the league as a backup, maybe a platoon guy on an average team, but to think that he's going to be one of the best 25 or 30 goalies in the league at any time in his career is a bit of stretch at this point.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks19 View Post
As a Sharks fan who has watched him play... He's not even that great
Did you just start watching him last season? Oh you must of seen all his Olympic and AHL games and that's how you came to this conclusion right? Greiss didn't even get a legitimate shot at proving himself for the Sharks. He also played better than both Goalies in pre-season.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnRocks View Post
Or not.

Whiffed on that prediction, eh?
He clearly has sooooo much value.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich Liechtenstein View Post
Did you just start watching him last season? Oh you must of seen all his Olympic and AHL games and that's how you came to this conclusion right? Greiss didn't even get a legitimate shot at proving himself for the Sharks. He also played better than both Goalies in pre-season.
Let's be honest, UL. That means jack. Preseason is meaningless. Heck, last year the Leafs had one of the best records and Chicago had one of the worst... Stalberg set the world alight. Do we need to continue?

As for the criticism of Sharks fans, I find it a very valid attack. A growing number are looking for any opportunity to lay blame at Doug Wilson's door and quite likely they'll get their way and have him ousted before long. It's by no means everyone but it's giving the fanbase a very fickle feel. The joys of being a Shark, eh?

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:36 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
I guess burke is satisfied with his collection of wallets.

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 04:42 PM
stug*

NHL needs to expand to many good players clear waivers all the time and we never get to see them play.
To many players, to few teams.

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:04 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by stug View Post
NHL needs to expand to many good players clear waivers all the time and we never get to see them play.
To many players, to few teams.
Amazing how the NHL has gone from having too diluted talent to having too much talent in the space of one year.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:11 PM
GeeoffBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR10 View Post
Why are you moking at his statement? Fact of the matter is greiss is still a top 10 goalie prospect currently and only has a cap hit of 550k. Alot of sharks fans wanted to see him get a chance to split time with a goalie to see what he could do with a bigger workload. It's poor asset management mainly because he risked losing one of our top prospects for nothing without giving him a shot to really prove what he can do. How is not wanting to give away one of our top prospects overvaluing him?
Uhh The Sharks have a top 10 goalie prospect...but his name is Niemi not Greiss.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:15 PM
seanlinden

Whats funny is... Sharks fans were convinced that Niemi was at the bottom of DW's list because he wanted to give Greiss an opportunity. Obviously no GM thinks that way.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

You can basically use the same logic that San Jose used when deciding to add Niemi to explain how Griess cleared. No team is going to turn down an opportunity to improve their lineup. That's what was going through the Sharks' management heads when they signed Niemi and that same thought process applies to Griess on waivers. No other NHL team thought that Griess would have been better than the status quo of their current tandem. And so he cleared.

Kevin Forbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
You can basically use the same logic that San Jose used when deciding to add Niemi to explain how Griess cleared. No team is going to turn down an opportunity to improve their lineup. That's what was going through the Sharks' management heads when they signed Niemi and that same thought process applies to Griess on waivers. No other NHL team thought that Griess would have been better than the status quo of their current tandem. And so he cleared.
That's not necessarily true, at all. No GM thought he was better or was enough of an upgrade to spend the additional money on that upgrade on backup goaltending. For a budget team that has a backup goaltender on a one-way deal, for example, that's something to consider.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:34 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Sharks fans just can't get a break. First there was Niemi is not signing here we don't need a goalie!!!11one and now after they are freaking out over Greiss going on waivers, saying that he will be claimed. He clears.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

I cant find a clip but my only memory of Greiss is an absolutely awful goal he let in after the Sharks rallied to overcome a 4-0 lead

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
sjlittlefoot

Quote:
Griess has been ok in the NHL, wildly inconsistent in the AHL, and had ONE very good Olympics eight years ago followed by a very poor showing in the most recent. None of these has lead me to think he was amazing at anything. General consensus is he is very athletic but still has poor anticipation. The fact that he cleared means other GMs tend to agree with him, he's just not that good.

I'm only worried him being in the AHL will take playing time away from Stalock, the goalie that has actually showed potential.

sjlittlefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Whats funny is... Sharks fans were convinced that Niemi was at the bottom of DW's list because he wanted to give Greiss an opportunity. Obviously no GM thinks that way.
We felt that way because that's what he said a week before.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratipok View Post
I cant find a clip but my only memory of Greiss is an absolutely awful goal he let in after the Sharks rallied to overcome a 4-0 lead

Boxscore: http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=291006008

It's still the first thing I think of when it comes to Greiss as well.

Furious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Furious George
Ville the Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlittlefoot View Post
Griess has been ok in the NHL, wildly inconsistent in the AHL, and had ONE very good Olympics eight years ago followed by a very poor showing in the most recent. None of these has lead me to think he was amazing at anything. General consensus is he is very athletic but still has poor anticipation. The fact that he cleared means other GMs tend to agree with him, he's just not that good.

I'm only worried him being in the AHL will take playing time away from Stalock, the goalie that has actually showed potential.
When he was 16 years old?

Yes the olympics come every 4 years, but since the most current one was this year, that makes the previous one only 4 years ago, not 8.

Furious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:

Wrong.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 09:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
It could also mean what clearing waivers usually means...everyone's roster is full.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It could also mean what clearing waivers usually means...everyone's roster is full.
...Specifically of goalies. Skaters often can have harder times clearing waivers because there are more roster spots devoted to skaters (and hence more likely a team will have or make an opening).

Also it's all about timing.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 11:32 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
I guess burke is satisfied with his collection of wallets.
Gustavsson
Scrivens
Rynnas
Reimer

I think he's good, goalie wise.

ATG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:42 AM
sjlittlefoot

Quote:
Wrong.
lol, wrong? Like barely keeping above a 90% playing against less competition in the AHL wrong? Like a 5.03 GAA during the 2010 Olympics wrong? What kinda wrong here I curious and would like you to elaborate.

Does Griess suck? Hell no, I never said or implied that, but some how if he doesn't suck he has to be amazing. He's not, he's not even good, he's an ok goalie. Almost everything backs this up. But I must to a special type of wrong then.

He's cleared, probably won't play a game for the Sharks this year. I'm just hoping he gets traded soon as to not take any playing time away from Stalock or him for that matter because he's certainly good enough to back up, which is probably what he'll be, like, forever.

sjlittlefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious George View Post
It's still the first thing I think of when it comes to Greiss as well.
Now it's the first thing I think of when it comes to Niitty

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote