HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Greiss; UPD Assigned to Swedish League Brynas 10/21

Old
10-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Very nice. I'm happy and stuff ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
I wish him luck. Hopefully he tears it up there.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 05:27 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
San Jose - Germany - Sweden - San Jose - Worcester - Sweden

in two weeks.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 05:30 PM
5H4RK5

Good luck in Sweden Greiss. I hope our netminders start picking it up because I thought he would be nice to have being familiar with our system for many years now.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 06:41 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

Where does this make him stand for next season?

Does he go UFA/RFA? Or his his contract still good here if/when he returns?

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:04 PM
rangerssharks414

At least he is going to get some playing time. It was clear that Stalock was going to get the majority of the starts in Worcester.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:06 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilk View Post
Where does this make him stand for next season?

Does he go UFA/RFA? Or his his contract still good here if/when he returns?
RFA after this season. His contract continues to "age" just like normal.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
The benefit to the team going to Europe is they get to carry extra roster player(s) ( ... not sure if it was one or two. I think it was only one extra spot) So while other teams were forced down to the mandated roster limits; managing their cap, the Sharks got an extra grace period - leaving the other teams in the position of solidifying their rosters in the NHL and minors. It doesn't mean a claim can't be made. But teams can't leave a "spot" in case Greiss were waived. They needed to make decisions already and Greiss will now have to be a clearly better option for the franchise relative to what that team already has stockpiled. Add to that there I still NHL UFA goalies (I believe) that could have been picked up, and it means Greiss should clear.

One thing everyone is forgetting is Greiss was probably going to be a #2 goalie again this year. There is no way of knowing but it was possible for him to just get 20 games this season. Nobody ever said he and Nitty were going to split the tending duties. For his sake in attracting attention to his skill sets, he needs play more than 20 games in a higher skill league than the AHL where he has already demonstrated his abilities. I suspect he will be lent to a European team after he clears.
......now if I can just win a SNOG, I will be be ready to go to my eternal rest.

10-21-2010, 07:42 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...-in-worcester/

Pollak with an "official" explanation from Asst. GM Wayne Thomas.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
......now if I can just win a SNOG, I will be be ready to go to my eternal rest.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:53 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post

Hey! Nobody is going to hand out the kudos and since its the first time I've been right ..... I ...... I ..... well.... ITS NOT MY FAULT YOUR AN ASS.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Hey! Nobody is going to hand out the kudos and since its the first time I've been right ..... I ...... I ..... well.... ITS NOT MY FAULT YOUR AN ASS.
I just don't have the proper Photoshop skills to provide an appropriate SNOTGTE Award.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2010, 08:00 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I just don't have the proper Photoshop skills to provide an appropriate SNOTGTE Award.

Old
10-22-2010, 04:43 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by boten View Post
Good for Brynäs too. we need him Our goaltending has not been good enough this season (Guess we are spoiled from having Markström as a goalie)
It's not just Markström. Looking back over the last two years or so, the ones leaving have been Eriksson (to Leksand, then Skellefteå), Markström (to Rochester), Lindbäck (to Timrå, then Nashville), and Läck (to Manitoba). So for the first games of this season Brynäs has definitely had worse goaltending that what we've been used to since Markström emerged as a Elitserien goalie.

Brynäs goalie coach Pecka Alcén has gotten a lot of praise and he's helped many prospects to get great starts to their careers.

Here's my translation of an article in the local newspaper:

http://gd.se/sport/brynas/1.2433936-...lar-for-brynas

Quote:
NHL-goaltender has signed with Brynäs

Brynäs has allowed the most goals of any Elitserien team this season.

That's about to change - late last night [Swedish time] a deal was finalized that meant that Brynäs will loan the German goaltender Thomas Greiss from San Jose for the rest of the season.

– It was an opportunity that we had to take, Michael Sundlöv says.

Brynäs new goaltending duo Björn Bjurling and Niklas Svedberg are off to a rough start and are both close to the bottom when looking at statistics of Elitserien goaltenders. Although the latter has played really well for the last few games – one being the one that was played yesterday – General Manager Sundlöv still has been looking for answers elsewhere.

– We're constantly looking at new players. When this possibility to get Thomas Greiss came along, and when we could reach an agreement with San Jose so easily, we felt that it was a great opportunity to get such a skilled goalie. Of course we had to seize that opportunity, Sundlöv says in the press statement that was released about an hour after the win against Skellefteå yesterday.

Greiss was intended to play backup in San Jose this season, but when Antti Niemi joined from Chicago Greiss had to step aside.
The negotiations have not had to go through agents, instead Sundlöv has communicated directly to Wayne Thomas, assistant GM in San Jose. He [Sundlöv] has also been in touch with the goaltenders American agent and his [the agent's] Swedish colleague Tommy Öström.
– It took about a week to get all the pieces in place. We've had to deal with a lot of administrative aspects, and looking at different rules to see what we can and can not do.
– It's been an interesting week. I haven't experienced something like this before. But San Jose has been incredibly helpful and really wanted to get him to come play here.

Thomas Greiss played 16 NHL games last season, with a good save percentage of .912, and he also got playoff experience with three goals against. According to the press statement this is a goalie who reads the game well, moves well and reacts quickly.

– We've made all the background checks on Greiss that we could think of. I've talked to Niclas Wallin who has played with him, and Greiss has been recommended very highly, both as a player and as an individual, Sundlöv comments.
The German player will come to Gävle today and if all the paperwork is in place he is expected to make his debut in tuesday's away game against Södertälje.

The loan means that Brynäs now has three goaltenders. Björn Bjurling is probably the one who'll have to step aside, even though that hasn't been confirmed yet.
– It looks as if that will be how things turn out, Niklas has played some games recently and has performed well, but we'll see. Three goaltenders isn't a good solution in the long run. It might work for a while, but then we need to make changes, Sundlöv comments on the phone with our Sports Edition.
Here are some stats for Svedberg and Bjurling.

Here are some stats of the top Elitserien goaltenders so far this year.

I live in Gävle where Brynäs plays, so I'm very excited about this move.

Last edited by Howe Elbows 9: 10-22-2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Adding link to Elitserien goalie stats.
Howe Elbows 9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Pellegrino

http://bif.hockeyligan.se/main.aspx?...d=296185698305

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:03 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Competitive Violence View Post
It's not just Markström. Looking back over the last two years or so, the ones leaving have been Eriksson (to Leksand, then Skellefteå), Markström (to Rochester), Lindbäck (to Timrå, then Nashville), and Läck (to Manitoba). So for the first games of this season Brynäs has definitely had worse goaltending that what we've been used to since Markström emerged as a Elitserien goalie.

Brynäs goalie coach Pecka Alcén has gotten a lot of praise and he's helped many prospects to get great starts to their careers.

Here's my translation of an article in the local newspaper:

http://gd.se/sport/brynas/1.2433936-...lar-for-brynas

Here are some stats for Svedberg and Bjurling.

Here are some stats of the top Elitserien goaltenders so far this year.

I live in Gävle where Brynäs plays, so I'm very excited about this move.
Thanks for the post. Its helpful for us to see the Sharks did the right thing and took care of their player in the best manner available.

Old
10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
ISharkted

I never really understood why Greiss was handled in this manner, and not given a legit NHL shot. The Olympics should have been a perfect example of what he is capable of. He basically has one NHL caliber D pairing in front of him. All the other D men were putrid, or whatever term would be classified as worse than putrid. He goes up against the All Stars for some hockey powerhouse countries and performs well all things considered. The fact that he gave up less than 12 goals against Canada with an ECHL caliber (and that's being generous) defense in front of him speaks volumes to his skills. Disappointing to see that he did not get more of a shot with the Sharks. I think he and Nitty could have been fine with that Niemi money better invested elsewhere. Hopefully we see him back next year.

ISharkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:35 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
– We're constantly looking at new players. When this possibility to get Thomas Greiss came along, and when we could reach an agreement with San Jose so easily, we felt that it was a great opportunity to get such a skilled goalie. Of course we had to seize that opportunity, Sundlöv says in the press statement that was released about an hour after the win against Skellefteå yesterday.
Haha... Greiss pulls a Niemi in Sweden.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:24 PM
40ozman

"Sexsmith is with ECHL Stockton (looking like the starter this weekend)."

He's here in body. First 4 SOGs in the ECHL found the back of the net. He was awful opening weekend, and any of us Thunder fans would happily give him a ride back to SJ.

He either looked like he took the ECHL talent level lightly and thought he was gonna cake walk, or is pissed about being sent to AA

40ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:32 AM
rangerssharks414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISharkted View Post
The Olympics should have been a perfect example of what he is capable of.
But the announcers from the first game said that Greiss ruined Germany in the Olympics.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...3-years-apart/

Wallin helped Greiss get gig in Sweden (he used to play for Brynas).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...3-years-apart/

Wallin helped Greiss get gig in Sweden (he used to play for Brynas).
No wonder DW signed him to that contract. What a team guy that Wallin.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:25 AM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
No wonder DW signed him to that contract. What a team guy that Wallin.
"I'll give you $2.5 mil to solve my Thomas Greiss problem."

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISharkted View Post
I never really understood why Greiss was handled in this manner, and not given a legit NHL shot. The Olympics should have been a perfect example of what he is capable of. He basically has one NHL caliber D pairing in front of him. All the other D men were putrid, or whatever term would be classified as worse than putrid. He goes up against the All Stars for some hockey powerhouse countries and performs well all things considered. The fact that he gave up less than 12 goals against Canada with an ECHL caliber (and that's being generous) defense in front of him speaks volumes to his skills. Disappointing to see that he did not get more of a shot with the Sharks. I think he and Nitty could have been fine with that Niemi money better invested elsewhere. Hopefully we see him back next year.
Now, that's just wrong, the German defense was way beyond ECHL-level. Maybe Bakos can be considered ECHL-level, but while he was horrid, he didn't play that much either. The rest were two 22+ minute per game NHL-players, one tweener in Sulzer, one guy with NHL-potential in Holzer and three guys who had a very good AHL-career, two of which got into NHL-games as well.

The defensive behaviour certainly was severly lacking, but going by what was on the roster, the defense would have put pretty much every AHL-team to shame.

Not that I disagree with the rest, Greiss certainly wasn't to blame for the losses, and he should have gotten more of a shot with Sharks.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:33 PM
King79

Wow bad start for Greiss in Sweden. 5 goals in 32 minutes og the first game.

http://stats.swehockey.se/online/43/...me_default.htm

King79 is offline   Reply With Quote