HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thomas Greiss; UPD Assigned to Swedish League Brynas 10/21

Old
10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
PlaywithGutz

vCash: 500
oh and quit the DW hate...its a business and there is tons of stuff we never get the honor of knowing..

you DW haters look like silly...

PlaywithGutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
I'm not sure there was a trade market for Greiss. It's a similar situation as the Bryzgalov one.
Fair enough, I suppose Greiss's trade value isn't all that high given his limited number of starts. Though playing devil's advocate, look what happened with Bryz and PHO compared to the current Anaheim squad.

Chaotic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
This was an inevitability but I still can't believe that some people can't grasp the potential that the organization could be wrong about a player.

It was a mistake to sign both Niemi and Niittymaki. Yes, the organization has full access to the goalies but they had full access to Nabby, Toskala, and Kiprusoff and not everyone then and now was convinced they made the right choice.

And it's also hilarious that people will actually use these turns of events to claim some level of play Greiss is actually at. The reality is that Doug Wilson made a choice and never gave Greiss a legitimate opportunity to prove himself. That's the nature of pro sports. We'll found out in a few years whether he's right or not. I don't believe he will and especially not compared to the two we have in net now.

Nabby didn't really develop until he was 26. Kipper was 28 when he turned it on. Greiss is still a couple years away from being in a position to show what he's worth. The Sharks are just lucky they have Stalock coming up, who should end up better, but that doesn't give them a pass for mishandling this. They could've moved him a long time ago if they truly had no faith in him.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Minicoop831

Its pretty crappy

Ask yourself this, you've been playing hockey all you life and you had 20 some odd games to prove yourself. Is that fair to you? Because if that was me id be pretty ****ing pissed.

Minicoop831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
This was an inevitability but I still can't believe that some people can't grasp the potential that the organization could be wrong about a player.

It was a mistake to sign both Niemi and Niittymaki. Yes, the organization has full access to the goalies but they had full access to Nabby, Toskala, and Kiprusoff and not everyone then and now was convinced they made the right choice.

And it's also hilarious that people will actually use these turns of events to claim some level of play Greiss is actually at. The reality is that Doug Wilson made a choice and never gave Greiss a legitimate opportunity to prove himself. That's the nature of pro sports. We'll found out in a few years whether he's right or not. I don't believe he will and especially not compared to the two we have in net now.

Nabby didn't really develop until he was 26. Kipper was 28 when he turned it on. Greiss is still a couple years away from being in a position to show what he's worth. The Sharks are just lucky they have Stalock coming up, who should end up better, but that doesn't give them a pass for mishandling this. They could've moved him a long time ago if they truly had no faith in him.
Or is it that the people who agree with you can't grasp the potential that the organization is right? As far as I can tell it's the people defending the decision who are considering both possibilities and the people who want to keep him acting as though there's no risk involved at all.

Nabby was our starter almost ten years ago. He didn't take until he was 26 to "really develop." Kipprusoff was a late bloomer, granted, but we only remember him because he was the exception. How many goaltending prospects didn't turn out? Let's look at what we can find more of: 24 yearold non-starters who became star goalies later on or 24 non-starters who didn't. Needless to say, that comparison would not be close.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicoop831 View Post
Its pretty crappy

Ask yourself this, you've been playing hockey all you life and you had 20 some odd games to prove yourself. Is that fair to you? Because if that was me id be pretty ****ing pissed.
Those are the breaks. You're not always going to get the opportunities that you may deserve. Greiss didn't. I hope he gets claimed and gets a shot. A lot like what Goc went through, although Goc had slightly more opportunities but nothing consistent like he has in Nashville.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Spacemania
Murray says: Rawr!

Send a message via MSN to Spacemania
Quote:
Why are we angry now? I think it sucks, but we all knew it was coming.
my anger comes from the fact he put himself in a position to do this. I don't like either of the goalies he brought in. Griess deserved a legit shot and he never got it IMO.

Spacemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post
Or is it that the people who agree with you can't grasp the potential that the organization is right? As far as I can tell it's the people defending the decision who are considering both possibilities and the people who want to keep him acting as though there's no risk involved at all.

Nabby was our starter almost ten years ago. He didn't take until he was 26 to "really develop." Kipprusoff was a late bloomer, granted, but we only remember him because he was the exception. How many goaltending prospects didn't turn out? Let's look at what we can find more of: 24 yearold non-starters who became star goalies later on or 24 non-starters who didn't. Needless to say, that comparison would not be close.
Even if the organization is right about Greiss, they still mishandled the situation. The entire reason Doug Wilson felt the need to talk to Antero Niittymaki about Antti Niemi was because he felt Niemi was better. I can understand the whole, 'an opportunity came up,' angle but the problem is that he's moving out the wrong goalie to compensate for it. Considering that he went to Niittymaki because he didn't want to spend high dollars on goalies, it's more evidence of that. Going from 5.3 in Nabokov to 4 in these two is not saving substantial money and this certainly wasn't their intention of how to use that money. It's still way too early to tell how these goalies will be in our system but I have my hunches based on what I've seen from these two in the past.

And ten years ago, Nabokov was 25 so I was off by one year. Hardly something you should really dismiss because that was when he developed. As for your silly comparison, that's the nature of the beast in pro sports. By nature most players don't pan out so the actual number of who pans out and who doesn't is irrelevant. You go by a case by case basis. There aren't a whole hell of a lot of goalies that start at or before 24. Nabby and Kipper were two of those guys that developed into a starter past 24 w/o being one before it. If Niemi pans out, he's another. Bryzgalov is another. The reigning Vezina trophy winner is another. It's actually quite common so I wouldn't dismiss Greiss just yet simply because the organization wants to go another direction in a panic move.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticSharkie View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if Chicago claimed him just to spite us.
Alot of us in Chicago are hoping he falls to us and we can claim him

Greiss has more potential then Corey Crawford and our prospect pool is pretty empty in net

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:08 PM
garbage_goal

I'd just like to register for posterity that I fully expect Thomas Greiss to clear.

This reminds me a lot of a situation the Capitals had a couple of years ago, right after the lockout. Maxime Ouellet, their hot-shot goaltending prospect (best goalie in the AHL two years before), Kolzig's heir apparent, was waived after training camp. Capitals Nation was up in arms. He'll never clear! What is the GM thinking?!

... well, Ouellet cleared. Went to the AHL. Traded to Manitoba for a bag of pucks. Bounced around for a couple of years and last I heard is clinging to hopes of playing in the A' again.

I mean, all of us have seen Greiss play. But from my own small sample size, I can't fool myself into a confident prediction about what kind of career he's going to have. The Sharks organization, and all the other orgs in the NHL, have a much better read on this. Don't kid yourself, every pro scouting department in the league can evaluate the players much better than we can. If the Sharks decide to waive him, and no other org wanted to trade for him - chances are he's not going to turn out.

Having said that, I hope he gets claimed and gets another chance in the NHL.

garbage_goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:27 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Its pretty crappy

Life isn't fair, best to learn to roll with the punches and make the best out of the oppurtunities you're given rather than dwell on the unfortunate events of the past.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:39 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post
. Most starters I've heard of were starter quality when they were 24, and there's a lot of thirdstring quality 24-or-younger goalies out there, way more than could become starters. I don't see how the math adds up.
What was Nabby doing at 24?

What was Niemi doing at 24?

Try doing some more math

Greiss may or may not have panned out. If he had the same goal-tending coach the last few years that Nabby, Kipper etc had, there is little doubt in my mind that he could have surpassed both. The org mismanaged his playing time, his development and his training. Pray they dont do the same with Stalock, Sateri and Sexsmith and pray again that one of those three turn into something. People have an issue with this because he was never given a chance to fail. He did in fact carry the baby sharks to the playoffs so he has the skills to be a decent goaltender. He should have been given a chance, thats all anyone is saying.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Spacemania

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage_goal View Post
I'd just like to register for posterity that I fully expect Thomas Greiss to clear.

This reminds me a lot of a situation the Capitals had a couple of years ago, right after the lockout. Maxime Ouellet, their hot-shot goaltending prospect (best goalie in the AHL two years before), Kolzig's heir apparent, was waived after training camp. Capitals Nation was up in arms. He'll never clear! What is the GM thinking?!

... well, Ouellet cleared. Went to the AHL. Traded to Manitoba for a bag of pucks. Bounced around for a couple of years and last I heard is clinging to hopes of playing in the A' again.

I mean, all of us have seen Greiss play. But from my own small sample size, I can't fool myself into a confident prediction about what kind of career he's going to have. The Sharks organization, and all the other orgs in the NHL, have a much better read on this. Don't kid yourself, every pro scouting department in the league can evaluate the players much better than we can. If the Sharks decide to waive him, and no other org wanted to trade for him - chances are he's not going to turn out.

Having said that, I hope he gets claimed and gets another chance in the NHL.
If hes not claimed, then the guy has to be hurt or has some broken merchandise that we don't know about.

Old
10-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemania View Post
If hes not claimed, then the guy has to be hurt or has some broken merchandise that we don't know about.
The cold hard truth of the league right now is that there is not many spots in the league for goalies in general. There's probably even fewer places for goalies that are waiver eligible yet are still in need of developing before being able to challenge for a #1 position. I wouldn't be surprised if he clears based on that but wouldn't be shocked if someone takes a chance on him. His selling point is that he's young, he does have starter potential, he's cheap, and only has one season so if another team wants to quit on him, they can.

Old
10-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Spacemania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The cold hard truth of the league right now is that there is not many spots in the league for goalies in general. There's probably even fewer places for goalies that are waiver eligible yet are still in need of developing before being able to challenge for a #1 position. I wouldn't be surprised if he clears based on that but wouldn't be shocked if someone takes a chance on him. His selling point is that he's young, he does have starter potential, he's cheap, and only has one season so if another team wants to quit on him, they can.
Low risk with high potential to pay dividends. Only a team who has no cap space or already has solid Goaltending would pass on him right now.

Old
10-11-2010, 12:30 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
no way does he fall that far - to chicago. dallas? maybe the isles, dipietro could get hurt before griess clears, and biron left...

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Kitten Mittons

Yeah, you have one of Edmonton, Islanders, Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Ottawa before it gets to Chicago.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:31 AM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Yeah, you have one of Edmonton, Islanders, Dallas, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Ottawa before it gets to Chicago.
He's going to clear .... my bet. Then we loan him to a European team.

10-11-2010, 01:38 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

He'll clear.

BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:12 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Its pretty crappy

prove himself with one team. We're trying to win now, right now both goalies we have are better then Greiss currently is. We waive him, he gets picked up, wouldnt you be happy that a team is giving you the chance to be picked up by another team and actually see playing time?

I think its a waste of an asset but we don't know if he tried to trade him for anything, i dont see this as shipping Greiss to the minors i see this as offering him a chance to get NHL playing time elsewhere because he won't here.

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:27 AM
skilks
This is nightmare

How long is he on waivers for?

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:35 AM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilk View Post
How long is he on waivers for?
Noon, Eastern TIme... so it's a little under 7.5 hours from this post.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:42 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
If someone claims him it better not be chicago. Or we will burn United center to the ground.

Last edited by Graveland: 10-11-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksage View Post
Noon, Eastern TIme... so it's a little under 7.5 hours from this post.
I think it might be noon tomorrow because he was put on waivers during the weekend.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
I think it might be noon tomorrow because he was put on waivers during the weekend.
That would be correct, which means the Sharks have given teams plenty of time to mull their decision.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote