HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

10-11 Injury Status Thread (Hamhuis indefinite w/ concussion)

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2010, 11:13 AM
sammy the goose

vCash: 500
He could return to the Moose line-up tonight or tomorrow. by all reports his recovery went very well.

Old
10-29-2010, 11:32 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Something is obviously very wrong here. Is it possible that the way the team is coached doesn't put enough emphasis on protecting themselves when taking a hit, especially for D-men? Also when the D pair is leaving their own zone and moving the puck up ice, on many occasions after the D to D pass is executed one guy gets crunched right after passing it up to the forwards because he's so close to the boards. They could probably avoid this needless hitting, maybe by emphasizing more skating the puck out of the zone instead of being so stationary? We have the skaters on the backend to do it.

At what point do all these mass injuries stop being a coincidence every year? Why are our D-corps always so unlucky when it comes to injuries? Are we really just that cursed? I'm curious to see some numbers on this actually and have a look at which teams have the most man-games lost to injury by D-men every season.

This organization seems to have had a real problem when it comes to injuries on D ever since the lockout, not sure about before that. Was this always a problem before the lockout too? I mean, we acquire two of the league's most durable blueliners in Ballard and Hamhuis, and after 5 games they're both already out with injuries. What are the chances? Are we just putting too much of a workload on our D and tiring them out?
I just want to caution people about jumping to conclusions here since we've seen a few posts looking for causes or even handing out blame. Obviously I'm no Sutton (aka expert) on this issue, but we're facing a cluster of injuries over the past few years, and clustering is often no more than chance. The identification of any cause, therefore, is often an illusion. Consider cancer clusters:

Quote:
A community that is afflicted with an unusual number of cancers quite naturally looks for a cause in the environment – in the ground, the water, the air. And the correlations are sometimes found: the cluster may arise after, say, contamination of the water supply by a possible carcinogen. The problem is that when scientists have tried to confirm such causes, they haven’t been able to. Raymond Richard Neutra, California’s chief environmental health investigator and an expert on cancer clusters, points out that among hundreds of exhaustive, published investigations of residential clusters in the United States, not one has convincingly identified an underlying environmental cause. Abroad, in only a handful of cases has a neighborhood cancer cluster been shown to arise from an environmental cause. And only one of these cases ended with the discovery of an unrecognized carcinogen.
This clustering illusion is also called the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy, named after a Texan who shoots randomly at a barn and places the bullseye over the largest cluster of bullet holes afterward. In other words, meaning is no more than a construct and the cause was simply randomness.

As the You Are Not So Smart blog puts it, "If hindsight bias and confirmation bias had a baby, it would be the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy." On which note I'd recommend people read these posts to understand why they only see Bieksa's giveaways (not that I excuse him in general) or Luongo's bad goals (confirmation bias), or how they knew the Hawks were too good for us (hindsight bias). Clearly these biases aren't always involved, but it's good to look out for them.

Old
10-29-2010, 11:52 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the goose View Post
He could return to the Moose line-up tonight or tomorrow. by all reports his recovery went very well.
Thanks for the info.

Old
10-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Placebo Effect

reidder
Alberts back at practice Friday. Still no sign of Hamhuis or Ballard. Raymond likely another maintenance day.

WalkerBigTalker
Luongo down early. Seems to be favouring his right leg. Doesn't look too serious. Looks to have taken puck where no padding. #Canucks

Old
10-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^Good news on Alberts. Still puzzling that Hamhuis isn't even skating in practice. Is he skating period, I wonder? And I really hope Ballard is symptom free, and soon...

Old
10-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
reidder
Alberts back at practice Friday. Still no sign of Hamhuis or Ballard. Raymond likely another maintenance day.

WalkerBigTalker
Luongo down early. Seems to be favouring his right leg. Doesn't look too serious. Looks to have taken puck where no padding. #Canucks

This is what happens when Luongo doesn't have his flaps loose. Damn you Turco!

Hamhuis not skating is worrying, but yeah, a bone bruise is painful, so I assume he isn't going to bother pushing through the pain for practice. We talkin' bout practice afterall. Not the game. Not the game that Hamhuis loves. But practice.

Ballard still MIA makes me sad.

Old
10-29-2010, 01:15 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Something is obviously very wrong here. Is it possible that the way the team is coached doesn't put enough emphasis on protecting themselves when taking a hit, especially for D-men? Also when the D pair is leaving their own zone and moving the puck up ice, on many occasions after the D to D pass is executed one guy gets crunched right after passing it up to the forwards because he's so close to the boards. They could probably avoid this needless hitting, maybe by emphasizing more skating the puck out of the zone instead of being so stationary? We have the skaters on the backend to do it.

At what point do all these mass injuries stop being a coincidence every year? Why are our D-corps always so unlucky when it comes to injuries? Are we really just that cursed? I'm curious to see some numbers on this actually and have a look at which teams have the most man-games lost to injury by D-men every season.

This organization seems to have had a real problem when it comes to injuries on D ever since the lockout, not sure about before that. Was this always a problem before the lockout too? I mean, we acquire two of the league's most durable blueliners in Ballard and Hamhuis, and after 5 games they're both already out with injuries. What are the chances? Are we just putting too much of a workload on our D and tiring them out?
Last year there weren't even 30 defensemen who played all 82 games (there were 29).

Each team averaged out to having less than 2 defensemen who played 80 or more games (51 league-wide).

Less than 100 defensemen in the league played 72 games or more (99 league-wide).

Only 148 defensemen played more than 60 games.

This is one of the by-products of the crackdown on obstruction. The forechecker used to almost always get held up significantly on their way into the zone. Running interference for your partner was something that defensemen were taught so that your partner doesn't get blasted by the forechecker. You can't do that anymore, and as a result, defensemen get blown up a lot by guys coming in at full speed. It'll happen to pretty much every guy in the league at some point.

Along with that, we've seen a greater emphasis on shot blocking than in past eras, which eats up some games on the IR, too.

Aside from those two things, you also have to account for the Canucks having Sami Salo in the lineup, and also the total freak accident injuries to Bieksa.

Old
10-29-2010, 01:29 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

BotchonCanucks Jason Botchford
Alberts, hamhuis and Ballard skated before canucks practice. Only alberts made it to full team skate

Old
10-29-2010, 01:34 PM
LetsBeReality

Quote:
reidder

WalkerBigTalker
My roommate went to a bday dinner party with the Nuck's equipment manager Wed; said that Ballard worked out and puked after due to concussion symptoms and that Hamhuis will be back and fine by next game along with Burrows.

Take it for what you will, believe or not.

Old
10-29-2010, 01:35 PM
LetsBeReality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Last year there weren't even 30 defensemen who played all 82 games (there were 29).

Each team averaged out to having less than 2 defensemen who played 80 or more games (51 league-wide).

Less than 100 defensemen in the league played 72 games or more (99 league-wide).

Only 148 defensemen played more than 60 games.

This is one of the by-products of the crackdown on obstruction. The forechecker used to almost always get held up significantly on their way into the zone. Running interference for your partner was something that defensemen were taught so that your partner doesn't get blasted by the forechecker. You can't do that anymore, and as a result, defensemen get blown up a lot by guys coming in at full speed. It'll happen to pretty much every guy in the league at some point.

Along with that, we've seen a greater emphasis on shot blocking than in past eras, which eats up some games on the IR, too.

Aside from those two things, you also have to account for the Canucks having Sami Salo in the lineup, and also the total freak accident injuries to Bieksa.
Great breakdown -- self pity vanishing.

Old
10-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotchonCanucks
Alberts, hamhuis and Ballard skated before canucks practice. Only alberts made it to full team skate
The fact that Ballard was on the ice today is a REALLY positive sign

Old
10-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
The fact that Ballard was on the ice today is a REALLY positive sign
Agreed. Working on his shots and puckhandling off-ice yesterday and now skating, that's a very good sign. Also glad to hear Hamhuis was on the ice at least. And again, good to see Alberts was at practice.

Old
10-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Agreed. Working on his shots and puckhandling off-ice yesterday and now skating, that's a very good sign. Also glad to hear Hamhuis was on the ice at least. And again, good to see Alberts was at practice.
The problem for Ballard is that he was just beginning to get back into condition after being off skates for several months in the off-season due to hip surgery - pretty clearly he was not fully rehabbed when he took the knock on the noggin. Now he has been unable to even engage in a moderate workout since then so it could be along time for him to get back into shape.

Burrows would have been able to continue his cardio and lower body program during his rehab beginning shortly after surgery so his over-all conditioning should be less of a problem.

Hamhuis likely as well has continued his cardio as there are special boots that can be fitted to bikes and other equipment and it should have little effect on his over-all training.

For Hamhuis and Burrows the main issue will be getting their game timing back. For Ballard it will be both a conditioning and a game timing issue.

Old
10-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotchonCanucks
Dan Hamhuis didn't get the results he wanted today on the ice. "Still not good enough." Having a difficult time pushing off.
Still got a few days off, and as long as Alberts is fine we should just keep resting Hamhuis until he's 100%. Devils are playing like ass and the Oilers are...the Oilers.

Old
10-29-2010, 02:54 PM
keslehr*

Hopefully Hamhuis, Burrows and Alberts will be back to play the Devs. They should be really careful with Ballard to make sure he's 100%.

Old
10-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslehr View Post
Hopefully Hamhuis, Burrows and Alberts will be back to play the Devs. They should be really careful with Ballard to make sure he's 100%.
Can't

Old
10-29-2010, 03:04 PM
KDizzle

BotchonCanucks
Quote:
Dan Hamhuis didn't get the results he wanted today on the ice. "Still not good enough." Having a difficult time pushing off.
Quote:
Ballard progressing faster than hamhuis who is expecting to give it another try Sunday. Bruise is on the ball of his foot
Ball of the foot....
Ouch. I've had foot problems for 2 years now. I know how painful that can be even if I didn't have a bone bruise.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^Great news on Ballard. I would be more concerned with slow progression on a concussion than on a bruised foot. A bruise to the ball of the foot is a royal pain, but at least something Hamhuis should be able to recover from. Maybe a few days off the foot while keeping it elevated/iced would be good for him.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Basso

No way! So you're telling me next week we could have a full strengh lineup? Burrows, Hammuis, Ballard and Alberts all in 1 game?

Old
10-29-2010, 03:34 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
No way! So you're telling me next week we could have a full strengh lineup? Burrows, Hammuis, Ballard and Alberts all in 1 game?
I know people generally assume he's injured, but we still have Salo...

Old
10-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Basso

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
I know people generally assume he's injured, but we still have Salo...
Hahha exactly

Old
10-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
BotchonCanucks
Ball of the foot....
Ouch. I've had foot problems for 2 years now. I know how painful that can be even if I didn't have a bone bruise.
Try gout.

Oh for the days when I was young and foolish AND bulletproof (or at least thought I was).

I just saw a surgeon again who in August 2010 repaired a long time sports hernia suffered years back - 4 hours on the operating table and a mesh reinforced repair of a large tear. I asked him to do a little liposuction while he was in there but...

Now it looks like hip replacement surgery in the near future due to yet another old hockey injury. Some mornings I have to roll on the floor and then pull myself up using the bed to get mobile. And do not get me started on my knees.

Getting old sucks.

Old
10-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Basso

Bieksa injures Lu.

Old
10-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Bieksa injures Lu.
Seems par for the course.

Old
10-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Ernie

Link:
Quote:
There were a few intense moments for Roberto Luongo at practice Friday after he was cut down at the back of his knee with a shot.
"I was digging the pucks out of the net and one of our guys decided to take a slap shot and it hit me in the back of the leg," Luongo said.
But hold on, what would a Luongo scrum be these days without a one liner?
"The good news is we'll be working on skills tomorrow so guys can work on keeping their head up before they make a pass or shot," he said.
That one may need some punch up in the writer's room. But we get the point.
Kevin Bieksa is the one who aimlessly, and dangerously, fired the shot. (Aimless and dangerous, hmmm, sounds familiar).
"I iced it a bit but it was nothing serious," Luongo said. "But at first, it hit the nerve so you lose feeling in your leg a little bit. It came back slowly. It was more of a scare off the hop than anything else.
"I don't know if you ever got a charley horse before but it's kind of that feeling."
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...with-shot.aspx

Closed Thread