HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

10-11 Injury Status Thread (Hamhuis indefinite w/ concussion)

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
Didn't look good....shoulder lowered and skated right to the bench immediately knowing something wasn't right. I hope it just popped out and they were able to pop it back. A muscle tear could be bad news. Aaron Rome can "shoulder" the load of Ballard for a few weeks.
Ha, very nice avatar.

Old
10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
particularsolution

vCash: 500
botchford's twitter

"Keith Ballard has a "slight" concussion"

Old
10-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by particularsolution View Post
botchford's twitter

"Keith Ballard has a "slight" concussion"
Concussion yikes
Mitchell all over again

Old
10-16-2010, 04:42 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Concussion is the new black.

Old
10-16-2010, 04:48 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
Concussion yikes
Mitchell all over again
Concussions usually aren't as bad as Mitchell's, and Ballard doesn't have a history that I know of. I expect he'll be out about a week (just a guess, of course).

Old
10-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Concussions usually aren't as bad as Mitchell's, and Ballard doesn't have a history that I know of. I expect he'll be out about a week (just a guess, of course).
This is HF. He just got his first concussion. He is now 'prone to concussions' and thus will have no value in any trade proposals anymore.

"What about Ballard, the Twins, and Burrows for Thomas Vanek?"

"Weeeeeeeeeeell, I like it, but put in Hamhuis instead of Ballard. He isn't injury prone."

Old
10-16-2010, 05:07 PM
xtr3m

Well, now it's the dreaded "symptom free" game.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by quysauce View Post
Concussion is the new black.
Once you go concussion, you never go back.

Old
10-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Kid Canuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellwood You View Post
So true

Old
10-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Bleach Clean

Is there something in the system the Canucks employ that allows their Dmen to get hit like Ballard did? It's not just Ballard, it's happened more than one would expect, to other dmen. Ehrhoff gets crunched . As does Edler, but he is bigger so it doesn't seem as bad.

One of the most durable, toughest Dmen in the league comes to the Canucks with hip surgery and proceeds to get concussed 4 games in??? ...Unreal. And it's his first concussion correct?

Old
10-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Amused To Death

vCash: 1335
To be honest I was more worried that his new hip was destroyed. If it's a slight concussion I guess it could be worse?

And nothing to worry about...Bieksa with more icetime, and a back-to-back in a few days, the second playing the Hawks...

Old
10-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Tiranis

Relax. A page ago everyone was freaking out about Hamhuis, now it's Ballard. Just because the same term is used for an injury, doesn't mean that the extent of it is the same. (And three weeks ago everyone was freaking out about Luongo's groin.)

Last edited by Tiranis: 10-16-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old
10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Relax. A page ago everyone was freaking out about Hamhuis, now it's Ballard. Just becasause the same term is used for an injury, doesn't mean that the extent of it is the same. (And three weeks ago everyone was freaking out about Luongo's groin.)
It may not be something to be worried about, but concussions are nothing like groin pulls. And moreover, no concussion is "slight" at the time of its diagnosis. This term may be applied retroactively, but not at the time of diagnosis.

Old
10-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
This is HF. He just got his first concussion. He is now 'prone to concussions' and thus will have no value in any trade proposals anymore.

"Weeeeeeeeeeell, I like it, but put in Hamhuis instead of Ballard. He isn't injury prone."

Once you get a concussion, you're never in trade discussion.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Is there something in the system the Canucks employ that allows their Dmen to get hit like Ballard did? It's not just Ballard, it's happened more than one would expect, to other dmen. Ehrhoff gets crunched . As does Edler, but he is bigger so it doesn't seem as bad.

One of the most durable, toughest Dmen in the league comes to the Canucks with hip surgery and proceeds to get concussed 4 games in??? ...Unreal. And it's his first concussion correct?
I believe the problem has a name...Rick Bowness.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
I believe the problem has a name...Rick Bowness.

Possibly. He does control the D. But I'm thinking it has more to do with how much the low forward supports the puck on a break out. If the retrieving D has two options, his partner D and the low forward, then he can make a quick pass before getting hit. The pass would allow him time to adjust for the fore-check. He can make a quick turn to slip the hit.

It's just weird seeing the D getting hit so hard, so consistently. Other teams mitigate this better.

Old
10-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Wetcoaster

Vigneault has stated it is a "slight concussion" but set no time for Ballard's return. Vigneault has not exactly been Kreskin when dealing with injuries in the past.

"He's going to have to go through that whole thing there," Vigneualt said. "Start riding the bike. Once he's symptom free, is he all right? Then he does that neuro testing again. So, not sure when he'll be ready."
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...oncussion.aspx

Old
10-17-2010, 02:40 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post

Gold!

Old
10-17-2010, 02:43 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Possibly. He does control the D. But I'm thinking it has more to do with how much the low forward supports the puck on a break out. If the retrieving D has two options, his partner D and the low forward, then he can make a quick pass before getting hit. The pass would allow him time to adjust for the fore-check. He can make a quick turn to slip the hit.

It's just weird seeing the D getting hit so hard, so consistently. Other teams mitigate this better.
I kind of think there's something to this as well. Last game I found myself thinking "damn, our d are getting abused back there, someone is going to get hurt." Lo and behold Ballard got rocked. I'm not sure what it is exactly, as I haven't really noticed it before, but something to think about anyways....

Old
10-17-2010, 03:23 AM
David71

fire roger takashi. rehire peter twist, i remembered with him as the strength and conditioning coach, the players rarely got hurt... the past few years van has always been decimated with injuries.

Old
10-17-2010, 10:31 AM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
fire roger takashi. rehire peter twist, i remembered with him as the strength and conditioning coach, the players rarely got hurt... the past few years van has always been decimated with injuries.
What does getting a concussion have to do with training!

Old
10-17-2010, 11:32 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
I would think it has more to do with our playing style. A fly-highing offense will leave guys more open to hits than a stifling defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Laich Anthem View Post
And moreover, no concussion is "slight" at the time of its diagnosis. This term may be applied retroactively, but not at the time of diagnosis.
I'm not buying this. There are a range of symptoms that can have a range of severity, and you can diagnose accordingly. Of course, you have to treat all concussions as though they are severe for the first 24 hours or so, and maybe that's what you're getting at.

Old
10-17-2010, 11:33 AM
MTechnik
Clutch

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellwood You View Post
Does that mean Mitchell is MJ now?

Old
10-17-2010, 12:44 PM
RJC

Aaron Rodgers got a concussion and was only out a week.. it is possible to be back quickly. Everyone reacts differently to concussions and they subsequently get worse the more you have.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Placebo Effect

Yup, concussions are very unpredictable. And for all those that say the hit doesn't look bad, just look at Justin Morneau. Relatively innocent play and he was knocked out the rest of the year because of a concussion. Not saying that's the case for Ballard but you just never know. I do worry when it comes to concussion because it can have such a wide range of outcomes. It's not like a regular injury where you have a time frame that's usually pretty accurate. It's all up to your body to tell you when you are ready to go.

Closed Thread