HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-11 Injury Status Thread (Hamhuis indefinite w/ concussion)

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2010, 01:50 PM
RobertKron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Is there something in the system the Canucks employ that allows their Dmen to get hit like Ballard did? It's not just Ballard, it's happened more than one would expect, to other dmen. Ehrhoff gets crunched . As does Edler, but he is bigger so it doesn't seem as bad.

One of the most durable, toughest Dmen in the league comes to the Canucks with hip surgery and proceeds to get concussed 4 games in??? ...Unreal. And it's his first concussion correct?
I haven't seen the play, but is Ballard one of the guys who has been pushed to his off-side?

Old
10-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
^ He was on his left (proper) side. Wasn't that hard of a hit but awkward - his body did not hit the board - instead his head hit the glass first with the rest of his body stiff, thus from the looks of it transferring the energy of the hit to the head.

The NHL should have someone look at board/glass design - currently it akin to having the head rest of a car made of wood, 3" further back than the seat. At the very least the glass should be flush with the board, thus allowing the rest of the body to absorb some of the energy.

Mitchell got hurt in a similar manner.

Old
10-17-2010, 03:30 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
^ He was on his left (proper) side. Wasn't that hard of a hit but awkward - his body did not hit the board - instead his head hit the glass first with the rest of his body stiff, thus from the looks of it transferring the energy of the hit to the head.

The NHL should have someone look at board/glass design - currently it akin to having the head rest of a car made of wood, 3" further back than the seat. At the very least the glass should be flush with the board, thus allowing the rest of the body to absorb some of the energy.

Mitchell got hurt in a similar manner.
It isn't flush so that the linesmen and refs can jump up on it in order to get out of the way of the play.

Old
10-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I haven't seen the play, but is Ballard one of the guys who has been pushed to his off-side?

He usually plays the right-side with Alberts. However, on that particular play, he was on his left-side, if I recall correctly.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:04 PM
BleedCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jagr View Post
It isn't flush so that the linesmen and refs can jump up on it in order to get out of the way of the play.
But this is what I've never understood. When is the last time you've seen a ref behind the net using the ledge to get up. I've have never ever seen that, which is why I've always wondered why the boards and glass aren't flush behind the net.

Old
10-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Placebo Effect

From one of our papers, Ballard is feeling better but still a while from returning. Isn't traveling with the team, obviously.

Old
10-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
From one of our papers, Ballard is feeling better but still a while from returning. Isn't traveling with the team, obviously.
Pff...he's obviously no Aaron Rodgers then.

Old
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
While not the offensive threat Ballard can be, Rome filled in admirably. I hope him a speedy recovery, but we don't need to rush him back.

Also, by slight concussion, did Vignault mean a traumatic brain injury? I thought a concussion meant a loss of consciousness and none of the sources I've read mentioned Ballard blacking out.

Old
10-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Placebo Effect

Mitchell didn't black out. Concussions have nothing to do with whether or not a person loses consciousness

Quote:
Concussions range in significance from minor to major, but they all share one common factor — they temporarily interfere with the way your brain works. They can affect memory, judgment, reflexes, speech, balance and coordination.

Usually caused by a blow to the head, concussions don't always involve a loss of consciousness. In fact, most people who have concussions never black out. Some people have had concussions and not even realized it.

Concussions are common, particularly if you play a contact sport such as football. But every concussion, no matter how mild, injures your brain. This injury needs time and rest to heal properly. Luckily, most concussions are mild and people usually recover fully.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/concussion/DS00320

Last edited by Placebo Effect: 10-18-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old
10-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
So down to 6 dmen

Old
10-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Any updates on Burrows?

Old
10-18-2010, 05:57 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
So down to 6 dmen
Parent?

Old
10-18-2010, 06:09 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Pff...he's obviously no Aaron Rodgers then.
That's NFL for ya. Apparently Rodgers was still experiencing the aftereffects when cleared to play. No reason to pressure Ballard into returning, especially this early into the season. He was probably given the week irregardless of how good he was feeling

Old
10-18-2010, 09:15 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883

Our new durable dman gone with a concussion. We're just freakin' cursed.

Old
10-19-2010, 03:09 PM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

Our new durable dman gone with a concussion. We're just freakin' cursed.
I was thinking the same thing so I have to chuckle a little. So ironice. How is it that the dmen that were acquired for their durability are both injured? Since I want to blame someone, I'll blame Takahashi

Old
10-19-2010, 03:38 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Parent?
Hamhuis?

Old
10-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Basso

Stop saying we're jinxed with these Dmen injuries guys, it's really cursing us

Old
10-19-2010, 06:49 PM
CloutierForVezina

In a perfect world, they wouldn't get injured ever.

In this world, I'll gladly take a few regular season games missed if it means they're at 100% for the playoffs.

Edit: I am basing my last statement off of hope, not logic.

Last edited by CloutierForVezina: 10-19-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old
10-19-2010, 07:08 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post

In this world, I'll gladly take a few regular season games missed if it means they're at 100% for the playoffs.
I remember last year everyone saying we were getting our injuries out of the way early.

Old
10-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:

Except getting injured now guarantees nothing come playoff time unfortunately.

Old
10-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Basso

It is all Takahashi's fault. We need to fire him!

Old
10-19-2010, 07:20 PM
David71

fire roger takashi please. I swear the defense is always cursed Especially to two of our most durable Dman. hammer/ballard. why why. WTFTFTFTWTFWTTFWTFW. bad luck.

Old
10-19-2010, 07:26 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
I remember last year everyone saying we were getting our injuries out of the way early.
Quote:
Except getting injured now guarantees nothing come playoff time unfortunately.
What can I say, it's too much work to be pessimistic 100% of the time. I'd much rather let myself believe that we're getting them out the way early rather than we'll be inundated in injuries forever and that this team will always be cursed and never win the cup.

Basic logic be damned, in my flawed model where injuries are inevitable, I'd rather they happen during the regular season. This way of thinking allows me to have several consecutive months where I don't worry about players being healthy for the playoffs.

Old
10-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
What can I say, it's too much work to be pessimistic 100% of the time. I'd much rather let myself believe that we're getting them out the way early rather than we'll be inundated in injuries forever and that this team will always be cursed and never win the cup.

Basic logic be damned, in my flawed model where injuries are inevitable, I'd rather they happen during the regular season. This way of thinking allows me to have several consecutive months where I don't worry about players being healthy for the playoffs.
It's not about being pessimistic, but realistic. Getting hurt now doesn't mean anything come playoff time. Obviously we all hope that injuries now means being healthy in the playoffs but it's just not realistic.

If you think we're being pessimistic for saying that then I don't know what to say.

Last edited by Placebo Effect: 10-19-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old
10-19-2010, 09:30 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
It's not about being pessimistic, but realistic. Getting hurt now doesn't mean anything come playoff time. Obviously we all hope that injuries now means being healthy in the playoffs but it's just not realistic.

If you think we're being pessimistic for saying that then I don't know what to say.
Wuh? Did you even read my response?

I fully grasp the fact injuries are relatively independent events and one injury does not make another one more or less likely (unless of course you're aggravating a previous injury).

I'm hoping everything will balance out in the end and the team will finally run into some good luck with respect to injuries when we actually need people to be healthy.

Closed Thread