HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

10-11 Injury Status Thread (Hamhuis indefinite w/ concussion)

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Anyone have a rough idea of when Salo will be back, if ever?

Old
10-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Anyone have a rough idea of when Salo will be back, if ever?
Positive outlook: early december
negative outlook: allstar break
Sami Salo outlook: who gives a **** he will just get another freak injury when he comes back.

Old
10-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Placebo Effect

Latest reports from about a week back were that Salo was well ahead of schedule. Now what schedule that is I'm not sure since we heard quite a few.

Old
10-20-2010, 12:53 AM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Latest reports from about a week back were that Salo was well ahead of schedule. Now what schedule that is I'm not sure since we heard quite a few.
i think what they mean by being ahead of schedule is that they fully expected Sami to suffer another injury while rehabing the current one.

Old
10-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
i think what they mean by being ahead of schedule is that they fully expected Sami to suffer another injury while rehabing the current one.
I do worry about him getting out of the bath tub with that walking boot on.

Old
10-20-2010, 01:09 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
That's good news then. For a comparable injury, David Beckham took quite a long time to get out of the boot. He tore his ACL in Mid March, but still had his walking cast on for 2 1/2 months. But he came back competitively in mid Sept, which is almost exactly 5 months.

Salo's injury was July 22, got his surgery within a week and they pretty much said 4-6 months recovery. Salo got his boot off just before the season or the first week. This timeline projects end of January at the latest. Ahead of schedule might mean he might take advantage of the Xmas/New years break and then come back at the beginning of the new year. I'd be pretty happy if that were the case. I love a healthy Salo, however rare that may be.

Old
10-20-2010, 10:15 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
I do worry about him getting out of the bath tub with that walking boot on.
The walking boot came off during pre-season (as stated above). It was barely noted by anyone, and I doubt we'll be hearing many updates moving forward considering our cap situation.

Old
10-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Canucks4CupPrettyPlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo! Sports View Post
LW Alex Burrows, who led the Canucks with 35 goals last season, has resumed practicing without contact after offseason shoulder surgery and could be back by early November.
(Yahoo! Sports)
Expected, but good news nonetheless.

Old
10-21-2010, 10:45 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Burrows is playing November 2nd.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Ballard?

any idea when Ballard might be back?

Thanks!

Old
10-22-2010, 10:36 AM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
any idea when Ballard might be back?

Thanks!
Day to day. Wait until the symptoms are gone and he passes a neurological test.

Old
10-22-2010, 10:46 AM
keslehr*

Will Hamhuis play today?

Old
10-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Placebo Effect

BotchonCanucks

Keith Ballard still not cleared for light workouts, like cycling. Tried it briefly, but had to resume the rest stage of concussion recovery

Old
10-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Tiranis

If this turns into another Mitchell saga, I'm going to officially start believing that we're cursed.

Old
10-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If this turns into another Mitchell saga, I'm going to officially start believing that we're cursed.
Concussions and PCS are impossible to predict. Remember Jason Allison? His concussion was from a whiplash due to a run of the mill crosscheck and he was out first two seasons and never was able to return to form which led to his retirement.

Old
10-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Wetcoaster

So what is the general consensus on the more durable D corps that Gillis has assembled for this season?

Old
10-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Concussions and PCS are impossible to predict. Remember Jason Allison? His concussion was from a whiplash due to a run of the mill crosscheck and he was out first two seasons and never was able to return to form which led to his retirement.
Oh, I know, it would just be unbelivably bad luck if this turned into another prolonged ordeal.

Old
10-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Proto

Not sure if this has been posted recently, but I asked Botchford about Sauve (was reminded by the Ballard updates) and he said there's been no progress whatsoever and he's still not even skating.

Poor kid.

Old
10-22-2010, 02:27 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Not sure if this has been posted recently, but I asked Botchford about Sauve (was reminded by the Ballard updates) and he said there's been no progress whatsoever and he's still not even skating.

Poor kid.
Has there even been a clear story of what actually happened besides "He got hit by a car"?

Old
10-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Canucker

Quote:
So what is the general consensus on the more durable D corps that Gillis has assembled for this season?
Not Gillis' fault...these guys had clearly been durable players throughout their careers. If he was trying to build a more durable defense those two guys were good choices.

Old
10-22-2010, 03:01 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would imagine the general consensus is that GM place was built on Indian burial ground. Gillis goes out and acquires two of the more durable D in the NHL and they couldn't even survive October. It's ridiculous.

Old
10-22-2010, 04:22 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I would imagine the general consensus is that GM place was built on Indian burial ground. Gillis goes out and acquires two of the more durable D in the NHL and they couldn't even survive October. It's ridiculous.
North America is an indian burial ground. Get informed son.

Old
10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Tiranis

At what point do we start questioning the coaching staff? It's been brought up before but there's not nearly enough puck support from forwards and our D constantly gets hammered in our own zone. There are other issues too. When two guys that never used to get injured, get injured within a month of coming to a new team, you can't just blame luck...

That's not to say I blame AV, but adjustments probably need to be made or at least looked at.

(Can't remember the play very well, but there was also the injury to Edler in Game 6 against Chicago — I know it was by the boards but don't remember much else.)

Last edited by Tiranis: 10-22-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old
10-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
At what point do we start questioning the coaching staff? It's been brought up before but there's not nearly enough puck support from forwards and our D constantly gets hammered in our own zone. There are other issues too. When two guys that never used to get injured, get injured within a month of coming to a new team, you can't just blame luck...

That's not to say I blame AV, but adjustments probably need to be made or at least looked at.

(Can't remember the play very well, but there was also the injury to Edler in Game 6 against Chicago — I know it was by the boards but don't remember much else.)
If i remember properly Ballard got hit on a won faceoff, it is hard to blame the coaches for that. Hambuis off a blocked shot. One thing i would say that when the Canucks decided to turn up their physical game the other team is going to respond. It is like rugby the harder you hit the harder you are going to get hit. With the Canuck defense much more physical the forwards on the other team are looking for payback. Also playing for Vancouver probably brings out the physical play more than playing for Florida, Phoenix, and or Nasville. I believe it is mostly bad luck though.

Old
10-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Britton

Quote:

(Can't remember the play very well, but there was also the injury to Edler in Game 6 against Chicago I know it was by the boards but don't remember much else.)
The problem with blaming the coaching staff is this started before they got here. This team has had issues with defensive injuries since before the lockout.

Closed Thread