HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where does Drury go?

Old
10-13-2010, 11:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
I bet Gaborik and Frolov are just thrilled.
Yeah what will they do without Eric Christensen (who somehow has beome the second coming of Adam Oates all the sudden).

10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
IAMREALITY

This Is A Stupid Question But I Want To Ask It Anyway For Clarity:

I will freely admit to not knowing many things and the tendency to sometimes ask really stupid questions. This is one of those times and I hope you'll bear with me. It's just that though I do know that it's far fetched, I'm still curious as to the real details as to why it would be so far fetched and absurd.

The question is about Drury. We know it will be a challenge to permanently fit him back into the lineup. We also know our defense is weak. I also know that Drury is one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

Why then would it be such an impossible thought to have him become an offensive defensman instead? Now I'm aware there have to be a plethora of good reasons why, but are the differences of being a defensive forward vs an offensive defensman so far apart from each other as to make the situation impossible? Is it similar to the tall pygmy vs small giant situation?

I submit this in good faith aware of its stupidity, so I'm hoping the answers will be more geared towards teaching than abusing.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:07 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I will freely admit to not knowing many things and the tendency to sometimes ask really stupid questions. This is one of those times and I hope you'll bear with me. It's just that though I do know that it's far fetched, I'm still curious as to the real details as to why it would be so far fetched and absurd.

The question is about Drury. We know it will be a challenge to permanently fit him back into the lineup. We also know our defense is weak. I also know that Drury is one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

Why then would it be such an impossible thought to have him become an offensive defensman instead? Now I'm aware there have to be a plethora of good reasons why, but are the differences of being a defensive forward vs an offensive defensman so far apart from each other as to make the situation impossible? Is it similar to the tall pygmy vs small giant situation?

I submit this in good faith aware of its stupidity, so I'm hoping the answers will be more geared towards teaching than abusing.
If he doesn't possess the skills necessary to be considered a "skill" player at the forward position, how would he be successful as an offensive defenseman without them?

You said it yourself, this is silly. It's not completely absurd to suggest that some one should be moved from one position to the other (like Gilroy to forward from defense), but this isn't one of those instances. Besides, he IS one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Why would you give that up?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post

If it was going to be done, it would have had to be done in the off-season and then experimented with in the pre-season. Drury would probably need an adjustment period. Could you imagine, with some of the fans we have, if they tried an experiment like this during the regular season and it flopped?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

There are two players currently in the lineup I would take out in favor of Drury.

Christensen and Boogaard.

Boogaard is a winger.

So that leaves Christensen. Drury is on par offensively, and better defensively. And makes our PK better. Which, contrary to popular belief, is a VERY important thing. Especially in a league where Power Plays are handed out like candy.

Boyle is valuable. Again, contrary to popular belief. He fits his role perfectly. Big, very good skater, defensive fourth line center, with some offense in him. He's a keeper. Who the hell else should go there? Exactly, no one.

I agree with Singin, Christensen is replacable. He's not a special player. He's decent. Stepan is a better player already, and should be in his spot.

Frolov. Stepan. Gaborik
Dubinsky. Anisimov. Callahan
Avery. Drury. Fedotenko
Boogaard. Boyle. Prust

You don't lose anything offensively, and you improve your PK. Don't see a downside here, other then losing a decent young player in Christensen, that's replacable as a player.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
All the Drury supporters better give him a larger buffer that that.....after all, if he is still defended around here for all he was brought to this franchise in the 3 years he was been here after collecting around 25 million.....his intangbiles should buy him a few more games that just 7-8 to dignify his dead weight and how much he is sure to bring down the play of the players on this team that actually have offensive talent.
So you are worried about Chris Drury brining down Marian Gaborik and Alexander Frolov but you aren't at all worried about Eric Christiansen doing that?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 05:13 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
So you are worried about Chris Drury brining down Marian Gaborik and Alexander Frolov but you aren't at all worried about Eric Christiansen doing that?

Absofreakinlutley not!

Christensen has already shown he has chemistry with Gabby out there. EC is the type of player that needs to be on a scoring line to be effective, it's the reason he didn't last in Pittsburgh......they had their 3 centers and had him playing a 3rd/4th line checking role....which isn't his game at all.

Drury on the other hand has practically zero offensive prowess, which is why he belongs on the 3rd or 4th line. Your first line center better be able to do more than dump the puck in or swing his stick around and block shots on the penalty kill.

To be honest, Anisimov is the guy I'd like to see centering Gabby and Fro but like some others, don't want to see him removed from his current line. I think our 2nd line is pretty B.A. right now.

Last edited by czechmate25: 10-13-2010 at 05:31 PM.
czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 05:56 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Absofreakinlutley not!

Christensen has already shown he has chemistry with Gabby out there. EC is the type of player that needs to be on a scoring line to be effective, it's the reason he didn't last in Pittsburgh......they had their 3 centers and had him playing a 3rd/4th line checking role....which isn't his game at all.

Drury on the other hand has practically zero offensive prowess, which is why he belongs on the 3rd or 4th line. Your first line center better be able to do more than dump the puck in or swing his stick around and block shots on the penalty kill.

To be honest, Anisimov is the guy I'd like to see centering Gabby and Fro but like some others, don't want to see him removed from his current line. I think our 2nd line is pretty B.A. right now.
The man has scored 20 goals or more nine times in his career...in fact he has score less than 20 twice and less than 18 once. Derek Boogaard has zero offensive prowess....Chris Drury doesn't not fit that description.

He has never really been giving a chance to play with skill players in New York. He hasn't played with Gabby for one and with Jagr the situation was that Jags wanted to play with Dubi because Dubi played "give Jaromir the puck and get the hell out of his way" style hockey. So therefore, he played with Dubi. Additionally, he had his powerplay time cut dramatically last season...what about that don't you understand?

I really think you need to get past the contract buddy...even most of the severe Drury haters on this board have gotten past the contract...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:07 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Those guys don't do that. In fact, it's Gaborik who brings defenders to him and creates of others. He creates his own shots.

EC is a guy who benefited from playing with Gaborik. Gaborik didn't benefit from playing with him. Chris Drury doesn't bury that pass from Gaborik in Buffalo?
exactly my point. so far I saw only Marian and Alex holding on to pucks but no receiving pass in a fine moment. But having (arguably) stronger Drury on that line should allow those two give some time to come to the shooting spot. So let's see how Chris can do it.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Just a thought: there's a chance Drury might actually work really well between Gaborik and Frolov.

Remember how Steve Rucchin used to play between Selšnne and Kariya? Drury might be able to fill a similar roll as the defensive conscience of the line, allowing Frolov and Gaborik more freedom to chase the puck and look for the break. Frolov would have to be the playmaker of the line, but it could work.

It's not like it was 15 years ago that Drury was playing top-line minutes on a very good Buffalo team, so he knows what it takes.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Pizza

Trust me when I say that Chris Drury works his way into the line up.

You could knock me over with a feather if he does not.

It's a matter of pride at some point. I don't think Drury is at the point where he can't will himself onto the roster with shear effort.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote