HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Odessa vs. Colorado CHL Brawl 10/9/10

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2010, 09:32 PM
  #1
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Odessa vs. Colorado CHL Brawl 10/9/10

Does anyone know of a video of this brawl?

http://www.coloradoeagles.com/news.php?nid=734

Heres the boxscore:

http://www.pointstreak.com/stats/pro...gameid=1422212

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:53 PM
  #2
DaveTheHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Their next meeting should be nationally televised on ESPN

DaveTheHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:35 PM
  #3
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 500
I hope Brad MacMillan doesn't get suspended, I have him in my pool.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:16 PM
  #4
Ranger Angst
Registered User
 
Ranger Angst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Sounds pretty bad according to this blog.
http://blogs.caller.com/rajan/archiv...acolorado.html

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
  #5
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 500
The aftermath (WARNING: blood)



Yikes.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 08:58 PM
  #6
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
I'm sort of surprised that this didn't make youtube yet.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
  #7
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Ranger Fan View Post
I'm sort of surprised that this didn't make youtube yet.
Unfortunately I'd bet there were no cameras rolling in the arena to catch it if nothing's up on youtube yet.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:08 PM
  #8
plaugher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Wales
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Came across this news story, with a couple a short clips of the mayhem included.

plaugher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:22 PM
  #9
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Looks like he got a 22 game suspension

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...ckey_fight.php

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:27 PM
  #10
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
It's appalling that Odessa players, coaching staff, and front office are being such HUGE BABIES with all this. So lots of fights happened. I don't see one fan in that video that looks upset, they're standing up cheering and clapping. Fights happen in hockey, sometimes line brawls, its part of the game esp with a dirty sucker punch that broke the jaw and nose of the captain in a pre season game.

They're all wearing pink breast cancer awareness jerseys and the fines from the league are being donated to breast cancer research. Market the game and events as a "Beat Down of Breast Cancer Night" and play hockey, don't pull the team off the ice and forfeit the game, ask for criminal charges, etc...

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:48 PM
  #11
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
It's appalling that Odessa players, coaching staff, and front office are being such HUGE BABIES with all this. So lots of fights happened. I don't see one fan in that video that looks upset, they're standing up cheering and clapping. Fights happen in hockey, sometimes line brawls, its part of the game esp with a dirty sucker punch that broke the jaw and nose of the captain in a pre season game.

They're all wearing pink breast cancer awareness jerseys and the fines from the league are being donated to breast cancer research. Market the game and events as a "Beat Down of Breast Cancer Night" and play hockey, don't pull the team off the ice and forfeit the game, ask for criminal charges, etc...
So a sucker punch which leads to a beating which ends with major surgery involving 18 screws and metal plates is part of the game?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:18 PM
  #12
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
So a sucker punch which leads to a beating which ends with major surgery involving 18 screws and metal plates is part of the game?
That's not what I said!!! Fights/brawls are when a team deservingly takes exception to dirty plays like that.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:21 PM
  #13
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
So a sucker punch which leads to a beating which ends with major surgery involving 18 screws and metal plates is part of the game?
Yes


Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
  #14
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
It's appalling that Odessa players, coaching staff, and front office are being such HUGE BABIES with all this. So lots of fights happened. I don't see one fan in that video that looks upset, they're standing up cheering and clapping. Fights happen in hockey, sometimes line brawls, its part of the game esp with a dirty sucker punch that broke the jaw and nose of the captain in a pre season game.

They're all wearing pink breast cancer awareness jerseys and the fines from the league are being donated to breast cancer research. Market the game and events as a "Beat Down of Breast Cancer Night" and play hockey, don't pull the team off the ice and forfeit the game, ask for criminal charges, etc...
The bolded is where this whole thing has apparently gone way over your head. I'm a proponent of fighting, I think it has a place in the game, and I think the game would be far more dangerous without the threat of retribution...but sucker punching guy that leads to major injury has absolutely no place in the game.

By the way, for what's it worth, I played with Van Drunen in the ECHL for a cup of coffee. Not many guys with more character and grit than that guy, so it's beyond gutless to see some rookie meatstick possibly end a guy that has given 14 years of his life to professional hockey in a meaningless game.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:17 PM
  #15
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
That's not what I said!!! Fights/brawls are when a team deservingly takes exception to dirty plays like that.
So why are they babies then? Their player didnt want to fight, got sucker punched and ended up with having his career possibly ended. Those are actions which arent part of the game and deserved the response they got.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:22 PM
  #16
PuckHogs29
Registered User
 
PuckHogs29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
The bolded is where this whole thing has apparently gone way over your head. I'm a proponent of fighting, I think it has a place in the game, and I think the game would be far more dangerous without the threat of retribution...but sucker punching guy that leads to major injury has absolutely no place in the game.

By the way, for what's it worth, I played with Van Drunen in the ECHL for a cup of coffee. Not many guys with more character and grit than that guy, so it's beyond gutless to see some rookie meatstick possibly end a guy that has given 14 years of his life to professional hockey in a meaningless game.
MacMillan has a rep as a juice head, and you're right, there is no one less deserving of being attacked like that than Dave VanDrunen. I got to hang with DVD in 2007 when I was in Muskegon, just a really cool guy and definitely one of the classiest guys around. The whole reason he went to the CHL originally was to get away from plugs like MacMillan that the IHL had no interest in keeping honest. Then he goes and pulls what he pulled the other day. Total bush league. You wanna fight somebody, fight him. Hell kick the **** out of him even. But sucker punches and cheap shots have no place. Especially to a guy like VanDrunen.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:30 PM
  #17
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
It's appalling that Odessa players, coaching staff, and front office are being such HUGE BABIES with all this. So lots of fights happened. I don't see one fan in that video that looks upset, they're standing up cheering and clapping. Fights happen in hockey, sometimes line brawls, its part of the game esp with a dirty sucker punch that broke the jaw and nose of the captain in a pre season game.

They're all wearing pink breast cancer awareness jerseys and the fines from the league are being donated to breast cancer research. Market the game and events as a "Beat Down of Breast Cancer Night" and play hockey, don't pull the team off the ice and forfeit the game, ask for criminal charges, etc...
This is ****ing stupid.

The team and players are being such "babies" about it because they're actually the ones out there on the ice, risking (or in this case suffering) serious injury. They should just deal with it because the fans were cheering? That's the thing that matters at that point? Seriously?


Fans are cheering. No big deal.


Place is going wild! We need more of that!


I hear cheering. I don't get why Niedermeyer is being such a baby about things.


Last edited by RobertKron: 10-15-2010 at 04:35 PM.
RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 05:15 PM
  #18
Kingurentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
That elbow to the spine in the vid is BS.

I specifically remember decades ago my kid brother got his ass handed to him by our dad for pulling that crap in mites, for chrissakes. Fights are part of the game but there's supposed to be a respect there. I assumed in hockey you're taught what's BS and not, early on.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 01:44 AM
  #19
sbkbghockey
Registered User
 
sbkbghockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: at the ice rink, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
This is ****ing stupid.

The team and players are being such "babies" about it because they're actually the ones out there on the ice, risking (or in this case suffering) serious injury. They should just deal with it because the fans were cheering? That's the thing that matters at that point? Seriously?


Fans are cheering. No big deal.


Place is going wild! We need more of that!


I hear cheering. I don't get why Niedermeyer is being such a baby about things.
You're obviously miss understanding. There's No place in the game for sucker punches and dirty plays resulting in serious injuries. such as the examples. There is a place for fighting. Now tell me, in any of these cases above did the team whose player was the victim of the dirty play and got hurt pull their players off the ice a forfeit the game!? No!!!

Yes that was a dirty play (and the CHL handed down a 22 game suspension for it), yes things after got a bit out of hand with a line brawl but it doesnt even sound like anything out of hand, such as a total bench clearing brawl occured. To me Odessa's GM and coach were being babies by refusing to continue playing hockey and forfeiting the game.

My point about the fans cheering, in rare circumstances a player will be hurt soooo badly that the officals and/or teams together decided to not continue playing. Usually b/c a player was hurt so bad no ones mind is thinking about hockey, which can be dangerous to the other players. There was lots of blood but not a unusual amount for nose/facial injuries and he didn't get hurt enough for the fans and players to be so shocked that the game couldn't go on.


Last edited by sbkbghockey: 10-16-2010 at 02:00 AM.
sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:39 AM
  #20
Don Nachbaur 26
Registered User
 
Don Nachbaur 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mount Joy, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,159
vCash: 500
Jeez, this sounds bad. Hope the Van Drunen good makes a full recovery. I understand why the coach pulled his team. I'm sure a couple of the guys are asking themselves if it's worth the 25,000/ year.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 05:31 PM
  #21
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,691
vCash: 500
It sounds like the brawl was by no means the worst part - haven't seen video, but from what I've read the brawl started because of a MASSIVE cheapshot by Colorado's Brad MacMillan on Odessa's captain Dave Van Drunen during a preseason game. Sounds like it was a premeditated sucker punch delivered just after the puck was dropped that pretty much caved Van Drunen's head in, to the point where he needed major facial surgery, with 18 screws and 5 metal plates going into his face. There's no place for this **** in hockey IMO, I don't see why any leagues accept players like this. There's a big difference between physical play and pulling dirty **** outside the flow of the game with the specific intent to injure.

Hockey is a GAME, not a matter of life and death (well, it shouldn't be), all you "suck it up buttercup" people need to remember this when defending brutal cheap shots that can seriously affect people's lives on and off the ice for years and years afterwards.


Last edited by ponder: 10-16-2010 at 05:38 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:45 PM
  #22
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
You're obviously miss understanding. There's No place in the game for sucker punches and dirty plays resulting in serious injuries. such as the examples. There is a place for fighting. Now tell me, in any of these cases above did the team whose player was the victim of the dirty play and got hurt pull their players off the ice a forfeit the game!? No!!!

Yes that was a dirty play (and the CHL handed down a 22 game suspension for it), yes things after got a bit out of hand with a line brawl but it doesnt even sound like anything out of hand, such as a total bench clearing brawl occured. To me Odessa's GM and coach were being babies by refusing to continue playing hockey and forfeiting the game.

My point about the fans cheering, in rare circumstances a player will be hurt soooo badly that the officals and/or teams together decided to not continue playing. Usually b/c a player was hurt so bad no ones mind is thinking about hockey, which can be dangerous to the other players. There was lots of blood but not a unusual amount for nose/facial injuries and he didn't get hurt enough for the fans and players to be so shocked that the game couldn't go on.
Obviously he did, given that the game didn't go on.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 03:39 PM
  #23
inanevoyage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
My mom was at this game and was just all fired up.

inanevoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 05:30 PM
  #24
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
You're obviously miss understanding. There's No place in the game for sucker punches and dirty plays resulting in serious injuries. such as the examples. There is a place for fighting. Now tell me, in any of these cases above did the team whose player was the victim of the dirty play and got hurt pull their players off the ice a forfeit the game!? No!!!

Yes that was a dirty play (and the CHL handed down a 22 game suspension for it), yes things after got a bit out of hand with a line brawl but it doesnt even sound like anything out of hand, such as a total bench clearing brawl occured. To me Odessa's GM and coach were being babies by refusing to continue playing hockey and forfeiting the game.

My point about the fans cheering, in rare circumstances a player will be hurt soooo badly that the officals and/or teams together decided to not continue playing. Usually b/c a player was hurt so bad no ones mind is thinking about hockey, which can be dangerous to the other players. There was lots of blood but not a unusual amount for nose/facial injuries and he didn't get hurt enough for the fans and players to be so shocked that the game couldn't go on.
It was an exhibition game. Why stay and maybe lose more players to injury in a game that means nothing? It's about being smart, not about being babies.

Fans cheering? So? They dont know the extent of a players injury until afterwards and we all know how sentimental hockey fans becomes after 5-6 beers and craving blood.

jkrx is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.