HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/10/10 GM 2 vs. Calgary Flames, 3-1 Loss

Old
10-10-2010, 09:45 PM
MxK1NGS

vCash: 500
10/10/10 GM 2 vs. Calgary Flames, 3-1 Loss

KINGS = 1 : 3 = FLAMES

2nd @ 11:31 CGY SHG - (1) Backhand - Assists: (1)
3rd @ 01:20 CGY (1) Snap Shot - Assists: (1)
3rd @ 01:20 LAK (1) Tip In - Assists: (1) &
3rd @ 01:20 CGY - EN (1) - Assists: (1)

SOG : KINGS = 15 : 18 = FLAMES

Bernier didn't play too great today. No urgency in the third from the Kings.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Ollie Weeks

Bernier played alright, our skaters didnt do much of anything to warrant a victory anyway.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Exactly....Couldn't score in the playoffs last year and all we did was shuffle Brown and Williams around and move Richardson up....and of course 2 goals in games.
I know you and I were both talking about this over the summer and many didn't want to accept it. Yet we downgraded offensively this summer.

And to make it even worse, no one wanted to remember just how awful Williams and Smyth were in the playoffs.

Williams looks like he has bounced back and has been one of our stronger players so far, Smyth is done, just to many years of taking a pounding, cannot skate well enough anymore, good thing we are on the hook for him this season and next for $6.2 mill a year, boy that money sure could have gone a long way to signing a legit scoring winger, or maybe keeping a legit scoring winger in house.

It's going to be a massive struggle to score goals this season, lots of pressure on our goaltenders and defense to be perfect, tonights game is a perfect example, when you allow 2 goals, regardless if one is soft, you should get the W. We cannot expect our goalies to allow 2 or less every game.

Last edited by Herby: 10-10-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

just outworked by the flames mainly, the D looked solid, the offense is just sucking hard though. The lines just aren't working at all, our 3 best forwards have been Kopitar, Schenn and Williams, the fact that they play on 3 different lines should show that there is no chemistry out there, just individuals

At least no player has played bad to start the year, well except Simmonds, so dissapointed in him. Havn't seen him do anything but dump the puck in and not follow it up with a forecheck. Where is the Simmonds who worked his ass off every night, who was constantly chirping at other players and getting involved in scrums all night long. He better turn it around quick before people start calling for him to be packaged for someone who can put a puck in the net

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SMoneyMonkey

I think if you're going to call out anybody it's got to be JJ for just bad all around play and the forwards (Bar Kopi, Schenn and Williams). Bernier let in a soft one, which sucks but, in his first game of the season it's pretty hard to crucify him for it

Still thinking the 50/32 split is what'll happen. (Q/B)

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Orenji

Played good in 1st. Played terrible in 2nd. Played alright at times in 3rd. The back-to-back showed, and we played a pretty good team. The Canadian trip is always tough, but the home openers for both made it even harder.

I really hope the Kings come out with fire against the Thrashers.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

KINGS LOSE

KINGS = 1 : 3 = FLAMES

2nd @ 11:31 CGY SHG - (1) Backhand - Assists: (1)
3rd @ 01:20 CGY (1) Snap Shot - Assists: (1)
3rd @ 14:06 LAK (1) Tip In - Assists: (1) &
3rd @ 19:37 CGY PPG - EN (1) - Assists: (2)

SOG : KINGS = 16 : 21 = FLAMES

http://kings.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2010020025

Three star selections
1st: Goals: 1, Assists: 0
2nd: Saves: 21, Save Pct.: .955
3rd: Goals: 0, Assists: 1

================================================== ====================

Oh well ... 99.9% of YOU / ME / US thought we'd lose LAST NIGHT and win this one, and a good number of you said we'd lose BOTH, take the split and Come to Staples for the HOME OPENER against the Atlanta Thrashers.

Last edited by Puck U: 10-10-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Quattro

can't win them all...

I can't help but wondering what this place would be like had it been Quick who gave up those two goals.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:51 PM
MxK1NGS

Dunno why, but I think Fro could've helped us big on tonight's game. His puck possession was greatly needed in the 3rd. 5 on 5 scoring..... Same issue as last year.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:53 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Happy with a split. I figured it was the best to hope for given two back to back home openers on the road. On to Tuesday.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
Dunno why, but I think Fro could've helped us big on tonight's game. His puck possession was greatly needed in the 3rd. 5 on 5 scoring..... Same issue as last year.
not to mention our PP is sucking which saved us last year.

seems like the overall spacing is just off.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
Bernier didn't play too great today.
Bernier played fine. Yeah maybe he missed that poke check but that breakaway should have never happened. I've come to the conclusion that you will never see Bernier flop around, which may come off as not playing well. How well he cuts angles and plays the puck is ridiculous.

Just a crap-tier effort by the whole team, except Williams and Schenn who seem to be the only that care out there.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
That was a pretty bad performance. As Muzzin becomes established, we need to go out there and move one of our defensive prospects for a winger. Goes without saying really. That sucked, but again, it was a back to back on the road, and the game went to overtime the night before. Too early to make any snap judgments.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Considering we just played against two of the top defensive teams in the league on the road in a back-to-back situation, I don't know if it's fair to crucify the offense too much, at least not yet. If we don't pot a few Tuesday against Atlanta it'll be more damning evidence.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:58 PM
ru4reals

Only two games in, not worried. Back to back too and perhaps that played a part, but I'm really excited about Schenn. He will be our second line center very soon. Another good game for him. Anyways not the end of the world. Even the defending champs are 0 and 2.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Kings man 4 life

Back to back games on the road is tough, Bernier played as well as to be expected but he got no help from the offense.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:00 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

If Mitchell is gonna keep alternating between brilliant and boneheaded plays like tonight I'm gonna have to photoshop him into Two-face. I'm hoping it's just rust, he hasn't been playing in quite some time. I'm also gonna have to photoshop #41 on Westgarth's jersey since they seem about as potent. Still waiting on Smyth to win a single battle, be it for the puck, body position, stick position, whatever. He doesn't quit, god bless him, but he isn't doing anything useful either. Brown is doing his usual skate hard into falling down transition. Did Clifford get sent back to juniors already? He certainly wasn't visible on the ice. Drewiske is making me long for Harrold and Johnson is still a bonehead sometimes.

/vent

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I know you and I were both talking about this over the summer and many didn't want to accept it. Yet we downgraded offensively this summer.

And to make it even worse, no one wanted to remember just how awful Williams and Smyth were in the playoffs.

Williams looks like he has bounced back and has been one of our stronger players so far, Smyth is done, just to many years of taking a pounding, cannot skate well enough anymore, good thing we are on the hook for him this season and next for $6.2 mill a year, boy that money sure could have gone a long way to signing a legit scoring winger, or maybe keeping a legit scoring winger in house.

It's going to be a massive struggle to score goals this season, lots of pressure on our goaltenders and forwards to be perfect, tonights game is a perfect example, when you allow 2 goals, regardless if one is soft, you should get the W. We cannot expect our goalies to allow 2 or less every game.
Everyone keeps saying we have one of the best 3rd lines in hockey with Simmer-Zeus-Poni, well, we have one of the worst 2nd lines in hockey.

Williams is the only true top 6. Stoll was even on the 3rd line when the Oilers made the finals and Richardson has at most scored 14 goals. Come on Lombardi.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings have no creativity coming from the wings. None, nada, zilch. You can go as far as to say the only creative players up front as of today are Kopitar and Schenn will eventually get there.

Smyth, Brown, Williams, Richardson, Simmonds, Ponikarovsky; all north to south skaters. They really don't possess the shot or the hands to be deadly from the wings either, which is why scoring by committee is the greater emphasis for this Kings squad.

As for the game at hand, this early into the season on a back-to-back, it is expected for the team to come out flat. Players probably need a good 10 games into the season to get back into hockey shape, which is completely different from being physically fit.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
I know it's early and all

We still have the same problems from last season, heck, even before that.

Anyway, Smyth and Brown haven't looked good. Handzus line isn't looking hot either. Kopitar, Schenn, Williams have been our scoring threats so far. It's tough on the road, maybe well get something going at home.

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:07 PM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Kings have no creativity coming from the wings. None, nada, zilch. You can go as far as to say the only creative players up front as of today are Kopitar and Schenn will eventually get there.

Smyth, Brown, Williams, Richardson, Simmonds, Ponikarovsky; all north to south skaters. They really don't possess the shot or the hands to be deadly from the wings either, which is why scoring by committee is the greater emphasis for this Kings squad.

As for the game at hand, this early into the season on a back-to-back, it is expected for the team to come out flat. Players probably need a good 10 games into the season to get back into hockey shape, which is completely different from being physically fit.
This team definitely lacks a lot of skill. Totally agree! Perhaps Lokti will play next game. He already has more skill then all of our players except Kopi.

Old
10-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Johnny Utah

It's the same old dump and cycle and dump and cycle....we don't have enough skill on the wings to make creative plays.

Look at Tampa Bay's top 6 forwards, St. Louis-Vinny Lecav-Gagne and Malone-Stamkos-Downie....now compare that to the Kings top 6....geez....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:15 PM
ru4reals

Quote:
It's the same old dump and cycle and dump and cycle....we don't have enough skill on the wings to make creative plays.

Look at Tampa Bay's top 6 forwards, St. Louis-Vinny Lecav-Gagne and Malone-Stamkos-Downie....now compare that to the Kings top 6....geez....
Wow now that you list it like that there is no comparison. That is definitely a scary line-up. Our D is set for years, but how I would die for a top 6 like that.

Old
10-10-2010, 10:15 PM
avs1986

These past two games have done nothing to calm my fear of the possible lack of offense. Poni is definitely more "sandpaper" then Fro, but Fro was/is a better offensive player, and i think his departure might sting a little more then some will admit. I am definitely rooting for the guy and haven't given up on him yet(only two games in), but so far all I've seen him do is get a few penalties and take a few dumb shots in tonight's game(also his spell in Pittsburgh doesn't help my thoughts on him). It is early, but I think it's obvious the team is one good offensive player(60 plus guy) away from being legitimate contenders, although Simmer or Schenn could provide that with breakout seasons. On another note, I know alot of fans hate on Stoll, but the guy has been very good so far.

avs1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

The Kings are a far more well-rounded team.

Tampa's bottom six:
Sean Bergenheim - Dominic Moore - Teddy Purcell
Adam Hall - Nate Thompson - Dana Tyrell

Kings' bottom six:
Ponikarovsky - Handzus - Simmonds
Clifford - Schenn - Westgarth

Tampa's defense:
Pavel Kubina - Brett Clark
Victor Hedman - Randy Jones
Mike Lundin - Mike Vernace
+ Ohlund (hurt)

Kings' defense:
Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson - Scuderi
Muzzin - Drewiske
+ Greene (hurt)

There's a reason they have such a solid top-six, and that's because it takes up about $29 million of their payroll and limits them everywhere else.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote