HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/10/10 GM 2 vs. Calgary Flames, 3-1 Loss

Old
10-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I fast forwarded through the game and watched the highlights on NHL on the Fly. Bernier received praise there for a couple of his stops. I don't really fault goaltenders on breakaways, especially shorthanded ones, but he should have had that second goal. Anytime a goalie holds a team to two goals or less though, he pretty much did his job. That's my standard anyways.

That third goal was kinda funny, because as we were dumping it in, I think it went off an official and right to a Flames player who passed it up resulting in the goal. Major props for Mitchell on sacrificing himself on the shot before.

Overall, the offense is not showing up, and we need them to put it together if we are going to win some games here. Only two games in, plenty of time to work out the kinks, they just can't wait too long... GO KINGS!

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:26 PM
KingPuckChoo

vCash: 500
FIRE EVERYBODY !!! SIGN KARIYA - SATAN !! BRING HICKEY & LOKTI UP !! TRADE FOR MARLEAU HURRY HURRY HURRRYYY

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Orenji

Also, just as a reminder, our first game last year had us getting destroyed by the lowly Coyotes (at that time) at home when we basically thought Doughty was going to regress.

Then we got on track. I want to see us against Atlanta, at home, and see how things go. If we can only score one against them, I might be worried.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPuckChoo View Post
FIRE EVERYBODY !!! SIGN KARIYA - SATAN !! BRING HICKEY & LOKTI UP !! TRADE FOR MARLEAU HURRY HURRY HURRRYYY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Oct. 09 @ Vancouver = L = We play them hard and it's close, but we lose. Everyone on HF and LGK claims the sky is falling !
Oct. 10 @ Calgary = W = Calgary is ripe with injuries to start the season ... we better take advantage of that and come away with a win.
OK so I got the first two backwards ... but at least I got the "Everyone on HF and LGK claims the sky is falling " after our first loss part right

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Johnny Utah

Oh yeah there defense is awful and they are as soft as a bag of pucks, but their forwards are very good...Hell, look at the Ducks top 6, Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, Koivu, Selanne, Blake...and that's not even mentioning Lupol.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:08 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

We need to score goals. Schenn and Muzzin looked good. Doughty and Mitchell need to pick it up. Split not to bad being back to back. Liked Bernier not to sure about the 2nd goal it was off the post and if he was only giving Conroy the post then it was a hell of a shot.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:32 AM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
My only wish tonight was hoping that Loktionov would have gotten a shot tonight, coming off the back to back, but oh well! Hopefully the lines gel at home with a few games under their belts?

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 12:39 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Everyone keeps saying we have one of the best 3rd lines in hockey with Simmer-Zeus-Poni, well, we have one of the worst 2nd lines in hockey.

Williams is the only true top 6. Stoll was even on the 3rd line when the Oilers made the finals and Richardson has at most scored 14 goals. Come on Lombardi.
I think that was Peca on the 3rd line.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:20 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
It's the same old dump and cycle and dump and cycle....we don't have enough skill on the wings to make creative plays.

Look at Tampa Bay's top 6 forwards, St. Louis-Vinny Lecav-Gagne and Malone-Stamkos-Downie....now compare that to the Kings top 6....geez....
And which two lines made the playoffs last season and which ones were golfing in April?

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:23 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Oh yeah there defense is awful and they are as soft as a bag of pucks, but their forwards are very good...Hell, look at the Ducks top 6, Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, Koivu, Selanne, Blake...and that's not even mentioning Lupol.
Again, how did their playoff run go?

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Happy with a split. I figured it was the best to hope for given two back to back home openers on the road. On to Tuesday.
Tony and I agree on something...it has happened before. It may happen again.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:55 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
Bernier played fine. Yeah maybe he missed that poke check but that breakaway should have never happened. I've come to the conclusion that you will never see Bernier flop around, which may come off as not playing well. How well he cuts angles and plays the puck is ridiculous.

Just a crap-tier effort by the whole team, except Williams and Schenn who seem to be the only that care out there.
Pretty spot on, Bernier was good enough for a win tonight. The defense and forwards ran out of gas somewhere in the middle of the second period. I couldn't believe Jack Johnson didn't hustle after Glencross harder. Our forwards aren't scoring enough for us right now. Smyth is regressing big time and Brown isn't doing well on that line either.

We need to redo that top line, ASAP. Move Smyth and Brown down. 5 on 5 scoring is STILL a problem, DEAN.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:58 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Envious of the Ducks?

Come on...

No one is arguing that our top 6 couldn't be better. It will get better. Lombardi knows it needs to be better.

That said, one more top 6 forward doesn't make this some high scoring affair. Add anyone you want, Kopitar needs to be a little better than he was tonight and the Kings need to take the game off the boards and to the slot. We have forwards who are capable of that when they are in sync, which they were never in tonight.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:00 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

The second goal was a redirect from whiskeys stick, so don't blame Bernier for that one.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:14 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Lol happy to see no one overreacting, all I want to say is that Lewis should play on Tuesday, whether he takes Clifford or Westgarth's spot, I think it's time to give him ice time. Oh and we need a top 6 LWer, but I think that's pretty obvious. Kopitar is our only true 1st line player right now..

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:28 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Lol happy to see no one overreacting, all I want to say is that Loktionov should play on Tuesday, whether he takes Clifford or Westgarth's spot, I think it's time to give him ice time. Oh and we need a top 6 LWer, but I think that's pretty obvious. Kopitar is our only true 1st line player right now..
Fixed that for you

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:32 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Fixed that for you
lol hahahaha.. Loktionov should be in Manchester. Also, I'm starting to like the idea of putting Schenn at 2nd line center and Stoll on the 4th line

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:37 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Envious of the Ducks?

Come on...

No one is arguing that our top 6 couldn't be better. It will get better. Lombardi knows it needs to be better.

That said, one more top 6 forward doesn't make this some high scoring affair. Add anyone you want, Kopitar needs to be a little better than he was tonight and the Kings need to take the game off the boards and to the slot. We have forwards who are capable of that when they are in sync, which they were never in tonight.
This x1000. The Kings played too much of the game along the boards, an area where the Flames were generally stronger. Hence the result.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:38 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Fixed that for you
Yep. Take out Clifford or Westgarth. Move Richardson down to the 4th line to get something going with Schenn. Put Loktionov in his place on the 2nd line. And yeah, flip Brown and Williams to get that #1 line chuggin along. Yikes, I sound like Terry Murray.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Orenji

Thing is, we use the boards so much because Smyth can't really do anything else. He's really great when he gets the puck behind the net or is cycling, but he really can't go into the slot or carry the puck. Neither really can Brown. So it basically becomes a cycle/dump fest.

I miss Williams on the 1st line. He can be a legit 1st liner if healthy for the season. Brown just doesn't fit that well on the 1st. He should move down to the 2nd.

And I think Schenn is good enough to be our 2nd line center, and if we got a trade for Stoll+ for a top six winger who can pot some goals, I would totally take it. But on the flipside, he's by far our best faceoff man and can play a good two-way game.

He would be a perfect 3rd line center, but there is no way we should put Zeus on the 4th line.

And then you got Loki who really showed that he knows how to be skillful around the net.

Hopefully Tuesday we get to see Lewis/Loki, but still have Schenn.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:42 AM
avs1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Thing is, we use the boards so much because Smyth can't really do anything else. He's really great when he gets the puck behind the net or is cycling, but he really can't go into the slot or carry the puck. Neither really can Brown. So it basically becomes a cycle/dump fest.

I miss Williams on the 1st line. He can be a legit 1st liner if healthy for the season. Brown just doesn't fit that well on the 1st. He should move down to the 2nd.

And I think Schenn is good enough to be our 2nd line center, and if we got a trade for Stoll+ for a top six winger who can pot some goals, I would totally take it. But on the flipside, he's by far our best faceoff man and can play a good two-way game.

He would be a perfect 3rd line center, but there is no way we should put Zeus on the 4th line.

And then you got Loki who really showed that he knows how to be skillful around the net.

Hopefully Tuesday we get to see Lewis/Loki, but still have Schenn.
I have to agree with you on almost everything you said, except w/ Stoli(for now that is) The guy has been very good so far, and I hope he continues it. Other then that, yes, I want to see Williams on the 1st line, I think he could surprise alot of people.

avs1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:52 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I was critical of Williams but I will happily eat crow, he has been very impressive so far this season and looks to have the jump he didn't have at the end of last season. If he keeps this up he will eventually find his way back to Kopitar's wing.

Same thing with Schenn, if he keeps playing this well he will get more ice time. I think he will be our 2nd line center by the end of the season, the Mike Richards comparisons are spot on, give this kid a couple of years and watch out, it's going to be tough to game plan a team with two excellent pivots like the Kings will have with Kopitar and Schenn.

As for Smyth, this is why you don't trade for players in their mid 30's, on the downside of their careers with such a massive cap hit. It's only going to get uglier folks. This is going to be our own Souray, Huet, Rolston situation. Smyth can barely move out there and its October, his play didn't fall off last year until much later in the year. He may chip in a few points here and there because he stands in front of the net on the PP and plays with Kopitar, but he is nowhere near a 6 mill a year player, and that really sucks because until he is off the books we probably won't have a true $6 mill a year winger. Only 162 more games....

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

There is a legit arguement to make that Stoll has been better than Kopitar to start the year, trading him would just be a terrible decision

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:42 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I'll be worried if the Kings don't light up Atlanta.

They went up against two of the best goalies in the league back-to-back, both of whom had solid games and stole a lot of chances from the Kings and the Kings still managed to come away with 2pts.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
There is a legit arguement to make that Stoll has been better than Kopitar to start the year, trading him would just be a terrible decision
Not necessarily. Sell high!

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote