1. Alexander Ovechkin(was): Washington's future superstar. He won't be dealt, he will be the #1.
2. Evgeni Malkin(pit) A future star for big skilled center perfect for Pittsburgh's rebuilding if they can afford to get him out of Russia.
3. Lauri Tukonen(chi): Chicago is gonna follow an old trend despite Smith being gone and pick a highly skilled european forward. I think Tukonen is the obvious choice because of Olesz concussions. Great finish connection in the future between Tukonen and Ruutu.
4. Cam Barker (CBJ) Columbus is extatic to take Barker, they didn't think he would last. Columbus is pretty good at forward and in net(leclaire, denis), they need defense especially with Klesha's failure to develop in the last while.
5. Andrew Ladd (Pho) Phoenix takes Hitmen forward Ladd. He just fits perfectly what Gretzky is trying to build in Calgary.
6. A.J Thelen (Nyr) New York Rangers need a young defensemen of the future, a Leetch replacement. Thelen gives me reminders of Leetch. I think the Rangers will take him even with Olesz still on the board.
7. Drew Stafford (Fla) Keenan's first draft with Florida, he leaves his mark by again going for canadian character and grit drafting a potential young Ryan Smyth.
8. Rotislav Olesz (Car) Carolina came in expecting to take a defensemen but with Olesz still on the board. He's too hard to pass up despite already having a couple of great young centers in Staal and Vasicek. Health concerns (concussion problems) are the main reason Olesz falls so far.
9. Alexander Radulov(Ana) Anaheim just can't pass on the chance to take the highly offensive prospect from Russia. He has top 5 skills just not the attitude.
10. Robbbie Schremp (Atl) Despite the need for a quality defender, Waddell can't pass on the chance of having a line of Kovalchuk Schremp Heatley. He may even find a way to trade up for Olesz instead.
11. Marek Schwarz (LA) Los Angeles actually wasn't expecting to take a goalie but with the players they targeted off the board and Schwarz still on the board, they can't pass on Schwarz.
12. Alvaro Montoya (Min) Minnesota decides to take their goalie of the future, drafting Montoya.
13. Andrej Meszaros (Buf) Buffalo decides to add another quality defender to their team. As they are looking for a pp qb to play with Kalinin.
14. Alexander Picard (edm) Edmonton decides to take the talented forward from quebec. Although they wanted a center, they settle on skilled forward A. Picard instead.
15. Wojtek Wolski (nas) Nashville has enough grit now, they need offense. Wolski can downright shoot the puck. A bonafide sniper. Hartnell, Tootoo and several other provide enough tougness for the predators.
16. Boris Valabik (Nyi) New York is gonna need a bunch of new defensemen in the upcoming future, Valabik would be the perfect physical presence for this team. Is he the next Chara?
17. Lauri Korpikoski (Stl) St. Louis needs some young top 2 line forwards. Korpikoski definitely fits the bill. Could be the steal of the draft.
18. Kyle Chipchura (Mtl) Montreal needs some grit, size and leadership. That is Kyle Chipchura, I think Chipchura has the chance of being a big time steal. I think he will break out offensively next year in the WHL.
19. Petteri Nokelainin (cal) Calgary looking to add another top 2 line forward drafts the last remaining member of the most dominant line at the unders 18's.
20. Ladislav Smid (Dal) Smid falls a ways in the draft, Dallas happily scoops him up. With Zubov aging, Smid would be a good replacement as he is an excellent two way defensemen that might become a solid pp quaterback as well.
21 Mike Green (Col) A great defensemen that the Avanlanche need to add because their defense is really aging and in need of an influx of youth.
22. Wes O'neill (NJ) The run on defensemen is on, and New Jersey keeps it going with the draft of O'neill. Despite Hale and Martin, New Jersey will still need more defensemen especially those on the physical side of things.
23. Travis Zajac (Ott) Ottawa goes off the charts and selects quick rising Travis Zajac in the hopes that he is truly underrated because he played against such inferior competition this year.
24. Dave Bolland(NYR) With the run on defensemen limiting their options, Sather goes for offense and takes London Knights star Dave Bolland.
25. Adam Pineault (Edm) Edmonton pulls of a shocker selecting Adam Pineault who had a horrible year buried at the bottom of an excellent Boston College team. He has superstar forward potential imo however he's a huge gamble just like Lowe loves to take. He could very easily be a bust.
26. Devan Dubnyk (Van) Nonis decides it's time to draft potential franchise goalie. With Dubnyk falling alot further then expected, Nonis can't bring himself to pass on him.
27. Roman Voloshenko (was) Voloshenko has great skills, it's just his skating is very questionable. Washington decides to take a chance on him. Could a pretty good steal with some power skating lessons.
28. Enver Lisin (SJ) San Jose decides to add speed demon Enver Lisin. Hopefully his offensively skills can catch up to his speed.
29. Johan Fransson (was) Washington adds another quality defender to their prospect pool. He played well in the swedish elite league and is probably pretty close to the NHL, which is a definite benefit for Washington's defense corps.
30 Cory Schneider (TB) Tampa can't help but add a future #1 goalie in Schneider, Feaster is thrilled that he's still there at 30.
Elphy. You have Montoya and Meszaros both locked in at #12. You might have to do some adjusting.
I like the idea of a big risk in Adam Pineault. I have a sneaking suspicion one of the bottom picks will take the chance on Evan McGrath but Pineault is another guy who has loads of potential combined with a great deal of uncertainty.
1. Capitals-LW Alexander Ovechkin
2. Penguins-C Evgeny Malkin
3. Blackhawks-LW Andrew Ladd
4. Blue Jackets-D Cameron Barker
5. Coyotes- C Rostislav Olesz
6. Rangers- RW Lauri Tukonen
7. Panthers- C Robbie Schremp
8. Hurricanes- LW Alexandre Picard
9. Mighty Ducks-RW Drew Stafford
10. Thrashers- LW Wojtek Wolski
11. Kings- G Al Montoya
12. Wild- D Ladislav Smid
13. Sabres- RW Alexander Radulov
14. Oilers- C Kyle Chipchura
15. Predators- G Marek Schwarz
16. Islanders- D Boris Valabik
17. Blues-D Andrej Meszaros
18. Canadiens- D AJ Thelen
19. Flames- F Petteri Nokelainen
20. Stars- C Travis Zajac
21. Avalanche- RW Lauri Korpikoski
22. Devils- C Bruce Graham
23. Senators- C Dave Bolland
24. Rangers- G Cory Schneider
25. Oilers- G Devan Dubnyk
26. Canucks- C Jakub Sindel
27. Capitals- D Mike Green
28. Sharks- D Kyle Wharton
29. Red Wings D Jeff Shultz
30. Lightning RW Blake Wheeler
1. Washington Capitals: Alexander Ovechkin, LW (but need D)
2. Pittsburgh Penguins: Evgeni Malkin, C
3. Chicago Blackhawks: Cam Barker, D
4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Rostislav Olesz, C
5. Phoenix Coyotes: Andrew Ladd, LW
6. New York Rangers: Drew Stafford, RW
7. Florida Panthers: Robbie Schremp, C
8. Carolina Hurricanes: Alexander Radulov, RW
9. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim: Lauri Tukonen, RW
10. Atlanta Thrashers: Ladislav Smid, D
11. Los Angeles Kings: Enver Lisin, RW
12. Minnesota Wild: AL Montoya, G
13. Buffalo Sabres: AJ Thelen, D
14. Edmonton Oilers: Alex Picard, LW
15. Nashville Predators: Kyle Chipchura, C
16. New York Islanders: Andrej Schwartz, D
17. St. Louis Blues: Lauri Korpikoski, LW
18. Montreal Canadiens: Wojtek Wolski, LW
19. Calgary Flames: Dave Bolland, C
20. Dallas Stars: Boris Valabik, D
21. Colorado Avalanche: Marek Schwartz, G
22. New Jersey Devils: Travis Zajak, C
23. Ottawa Senators: Cory Schneirder, G
24. New York Rangers (from Toronto): Jeff Schultz, D
25. Edmonton (from Philadelphia): Kirill Lyamin, D
26. Vancouver Canucks: Roman Voloshenko, LW
27. Washington Capitals (from Boston): Mike Green, D
28. San Jose Sharks: Petteri Nokelainen, C
29. Washington Capitals (from Detroit): Jakub Sindel, C
30. Tampa Bay Lightning: Devan Dubnyk, G
1. Washington: Alexander Ovechkin
2. Pittsburgh: Evgeny Malkin
3. Chicago: Lauri Tukonen
4. Columbus: Cam Barker
5. Phoenix: Andrew Ladd
6. NY Rangers: Rotislav Olesz
7. Florida: Marek Schwarz
8. Carolina: Robbie Schremp
9. Anaheim: AJ Thelen
10. Atlanta: Drew Stafford
11. Los Angeles: Al Montoya
12. Minnesota: Alexander Radulov
13. Buffalo: Andrej Meszaros
14. Edmonton: Alexandre Picard
15. Nashville: Wojtek Wolski
16. NY Islanders: Mike Green
17. St. Louis: Wes O'Neill
18. Montreal: Kyle Chipchura
19. Calgary: Petteri Nokelainen
20. Dallas: Ladislav Smid
21. Colorado: Lauri Korpikoski
22. New Jersey: Johannes Salmonsson
23. Ottawa: Johan Fransson
24. NY Rangers: Boris Valabik
25. Edmonton: Devan Dubnyk
26. Vancouver: Roman Tesliuk
27. Washington: Dave Bolland
28. San Jose: Lukas Kaspar
29. Washington: Oscar Hedman
30. Tampa Bay: Roman Voloshenko
I did most of mine based on needs and who would be available during the team's pick. For teams that I didn't find a particular need, I just did the BPA. I'm assuming that there will be no trades, which is unlikely. Yeah, this draft's a little conservative, didn't really go off the boards.
edit: changed Oiler's 2nd pick from Schneider to Dubnyk
Last edited by USC Trojans: 06-18-2004 at 05:53 PM.
Here's my first crack at the Draft dartboard. Whew, this is a very hard year to pick and I'll likely need some tweaking.
My dark horse is Travis Zajac. I don't see him slipping beyond the New Jersey Devils who like to gamble on picks and have close ties to U. North Dakota where Zajac will play next year. Interesting stat comparison - Ladd two years ago put up 59 points in B.C. Junior A. Zajac had 52.
1. Washington Capitals: Alexander Ovechkin, LW, Dynamo Moscow (Russia)
1. Washington Capitals: Alexander Ovechkin
2. Pittsburgh Penguins: Evgeni Malkin
3. Chicago Blackhawks: Lauri Tukonen
4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Cam Barker
5. Phoenix Coyotes: Al Montoya
6. New York Rangers: Rostislav Olesz
7. Florida Panthers: Andrew Ladd
8. Carolina Hurricanes: A.J. Thelen
9. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim: Andrej Meszaros
10. Atlanta Thrashers: Wojtek Wolski
11. Los Angeles Kings: Marek Schwarz
12. Minnesota Wild: Drew Stafford
13. Buffalo Sabres: Ladislav Smid
14. Edmonton Oilers: Robbie Schremp
15. Nashville Predators: Kyle Chipchura
16. New York Islanders: Boris Valabik
17. St. Louis Blues: Alexander Radulov
18. Montreal Canadiens: Alexandre Picard
19. Calgary Flames: Enver Lisin
20. Dallas Stars: Mike Green
21. Colorado Avalanche: Devan Dubnyk
22. New Jersey Devils: Wes O'Neil
23. Ottawa Senators: Bruce Graham
24. New York Rangers (from Toronto): Johan Fransson
25. Edmonton (from Philadelphia): Lauri Korpikoski
26. Vancouver Canucks: Jakub Sindel
27. Washington Capitals (from Boston): Dave Bolland
28. San Jose Sharks: Viktor Alexandrov
29. Washington Capitals (from Detroit): Jeff Schultz
30. Tampa Bay Lightning: Cory Schneider
1. WASHINGTON -ALEXANDER OVECHKIN
2. PITTSBURGH - EVGENY MALKIN
3. CHICAGO - CAM BARKER
4. COLUMBUS - ROSTISLAV OLESZ
5. PHOENIX - ANDREW LADD
6. NY RANGERS - LAURI TUKONEN
7. FLORIDA - A.J. THELEN
8. CAROLINA - ROBBIE SCHREMP
9. ANAHEIM - LADISLAV SMID
10. ATLANTA - ANDREJ MESZAROS
11. LOS ANGELES - MAREK SCHWARZ
12. MINNESOTA - DREW STAFFORD
13. BUFFALO - WOJTEK WOLSKI
14. EDMONTON - AL MONTOYA
15. NASHVILLE - KYLE CHIPCHURA
16. NY ISLANDERS - BORIS VALABIK
17. ST LOUIS - ALEXANDER RADULOV
18. MONTREAL - ALEXANDRE PICARD
19. CALGARY - DEVAN DUBNYK
20. DALLAS - MIKE GREEN
21. COLORADO - PETTERI NOKELAINEN
22. NEW JERSEY - JEFF SCHULTZ
23. OTTAWA - BRUCE GRAHAM
24. NY RANGERS ENVER LISIN
25. EDMONTON - TRAVIS ZAJAC
26. VANCOUVER - LAURI KORPIKOSKI
27. WASHINGTON - DAVE BOLLAND
28. SAN JOSE - ROMAN VOLOSHENKO
29. WASHINGTON JOHAN FRANSSON
30. TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING CORY SCHNEIDER
1WASHINGTON ALEXANDER OVECHKIN, C, Dynamo Moscow
2 PITTSBURGH EVGENY MALKIN, LW, Magnitogorsk
3 CHICAGO CAM BARKER, D, Medicine Hat (WHL)
4 COLUMBUS ANDREW LADD, LW, Calgary (WHL)
5 PHOENIX LAURI TUKONEN, RW, Espoo
6 NY RANGERS ROSTISLAV OLESZ, C, HC Vitkovice
7 FLORIDA WOJTEK WOLSKI, C, Brampton (OHL)
8 CAROLINA LADISLAV SMID, D, Liberec
9 ANAHEIM DREW STAFFORD, RW, North Dakota (NCAA)
10 ATLANTA ANDREJ MESZAROS, D, Dukla Trencin
11 LOS ANGELES AL MONTOYA, G, Michigan (NCAA)
12 MINNESOTA MAREK SCHWARZ, G, Trinec
13 BUFFALO A.J. THELEN, D, Michigan St. (NCAA)
14 EDMONTON ALEXANDRE PICARD, LW, Lewiston (QMJHL)
15 NASHVILLE ROBBIE SCHREMP, C, London (OHL)
16 NY ISLANDERS BORIS VALABIK, D, Kitchener (OHL)
17 ST LOUIS ALEXANDER RADULOV, RW, Tver
18 MONTREAL KYLE CHIPCHURA, C, Prince Albert (WHL)
19 CALGARY ENVER LISIN, Saratov
20 DALLAS PETTERI NOKELAINEN, RW, Saipa Lappeenranta
21 COLORADO LAURI KORPIKOSKI, F, Turku
22 NEW JERSEY DEVAN DUBNYK, G, Kamloops (WHL)
23 OTTAWA JEFF SCHULTZ, D, Calgary (WHL)
24 NY RANGERS (1) MIKE GREEN, D, Saskatoon (WHL) .
25 EDMONTON (2) DAVE BOLLAND, C, London (OHL)
26 VANCOUVER LUKAS KASPAR, RW, Moose Jaw (WHL)
27 WASHINGTON (3) ROMAN VOLOSHENKO, LW, Soviet Wings
28 SAN JOSE JAKUB SINDEL, C, Sparta Praha
29 WASHINGTON (4) JOHAN FRANSSON, D, Lulea
30 TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING (5) BRUCE GRAHAM, C, Moncton (QMJHL)
1 Washington - Alexander Ovechkin
2 Pittsburgh - Evgenii Malkin
3 Chicago - Rostislav Olesz
4 Columbus - Cameron Barker
5 Phoenix - Andrew Ladd
6 NY Rangers - Lauri Tukonen
7 Florida - A.J. Thelen
8 Carolina - Marek Schwarz
9 Anaheim - Rob Schremp
10 Atlanta - Andrej Meszaros
11 Los Angeles - Alvaro Montoya
12 Minnesota - Drew Stafford
13 Buffalo - Ladislav Smid
14 Edmonton - Alexandre Picard
15 Nashville - Alexander Radulov
16 NY Islanders - Boris Valabik
17 St. Louis - Wojtek Wolski
18 Montreal - Kyle Chipchura
19 Calgary - David Bolland
20 Dallas - Mike Green
21 Colorado - Lauri Korpikoski
22 New Jersey - Jakub Sindel
23 Ottawa - Roman Voloshenko
24 NY Rangers - Johan Fransson
25 Edmonton - Blake Wheeler
26 Vancouver - Petteri Nokelainen
27 Washinton - Jeff Schultz
28 San Jose - Travis Zajac
29 Washington - Enver Lisin
30 Tampa Bay - Devan Dubnyk
I'm with LMHF on this one. Take Picard, someone who is a natural scorer with our 14th. Then at 25, select a high risk/reward player such as Wheeler. Come 3 years down the road if both make the NHL as top 6'ers, KP would look like a genious. Wait until the 2nd round to target a good goalie, not the first round. One of Dubnyk/Schneider/Shantz should still be available when we make our 3rd selection.
Edit: s7ark's selections of Wolski and Lisin would also make me happy. Wolski has scoring ability and is big, and is not afraid to get his nose dirty. Lisin put up comparable numbers to Ovechkin on the same team, and is considered the fastest player in this draft year.
Last edited by Divine Wind: 06-21-2004 at 02:44 AM.
1. Washington - Alexander Ovechkin
2. Pitsburgh - Evgeni Malkin
3. Chicago - Andrew Ladd
4. Columbus - Cam Barker
5. Pheonix - Alexandre Picard
6. Rangers - Lauri Tukonen
7. Florida - Rostislav Olesz
8. Carolina - Marek Schwarz
9. Anahiem - Wojtek Wolski
10. Atlanta - Al Montoya
11. Los Angeles - Robbie Shremp
12. Minnesota - A.J Thelen
13. Buffalo - Boris Valabik
14. Edmonton - Dave Bolland
15. Nashville - Andrej Meszaros
16. Islanders - Drew Strafford
17. St. Lious - Kyle Chipchura
18. Montreal - Johan Fronsson
19. Calgary - Lauri Korpikoski
20. Dallas - Mike Green
21. Colorado - Alexander Radulov
22. New Jersey - Travis Zajac
23. Ottawa - Devan Dubynk
24. Rangers - Jeff Schultz
25. Edmonton - Petteri Nokelainen
26. Vancouver - Kyle Wharton
27. Washington - Alexander Radulov
28. San Jose - Blake Wheeler
29. Tampa Bay - Viktor Alexandrov
30. Washington - Bruce Graham