HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What do fans of the NHL think of Todd Bertuzzi now....

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
SabresFan44

vCash: 500
What do fans of the NHL think of Todd Bertuzzi now....

I am a HUGE Bertuzzi fan (there are not many of them out there and that is where the 44 comes in my Username) and in his prime pre-Moore mistake was arguably the most dominant forward in the entire league not named Peter Forsberg from about 01-04.

He has had small runs with the Ducks, Flames, Wings twice and now has started the year with the Wings 2-0, getting points in both games.

If Detroit wins the cup this year I will be extremely happy as he is still in my top 5 players and I just hope he can get his game back to just half of what it was before.

And I know a lot of people hate him, he takes dumb penalties, etc but do you think the guy is still a credible player...

Old
10-10-2010, 08:51 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
I am a HUGE Bertuzzi fan (there are not many of them out there and that is where the 44 comes in my Username) and in his prime pre-Moore mistake was arguably the most dominant forward in the entire league not named Peter Forsberg from about 01-04.

He has had small runs with the Ducks, Flames, Wings twice and now has started the year with the Wings 2-0, getting points in both games.

If Detroit wins the cup this year I will be extremely happy as he is still in my top 5 players and I just hope he can get his game back to just half of what it was before.

And I know a lot of people hate him, he takes dumb penalties, etc but do you think the guy is still a credible player...
I never liked him when he was with the Wings the first time. But this time I like him a lot. Steady and plays ever night night.

Old
10-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Daryl

He's quite good in terms of skill,although his previous incidents might have dropped the ball on him in terms of respect from other teams and players around the league.

Old
10-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

People need to get over it.

That said, he's still a good player. But second best behind Forsberg? C'mon he wasn't THAT good. He fits in well with the Wings, hard worker, goes to the net.

Old
10-10-2010, 08:57 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

I don't really like him, but I respect his skill and the people who still hold the Moore hit over his head just come off as petty and mad to me.

Let the guy play, he's a human being.

Old
10-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Humphrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
I don't really like him, but I respect his skill and the people who still hold the Moore hit over his head just come off as petty and mad to me.

Meh, I hate him. His track record goes far beyond just the Moore hit. I don't think I'm being petty or mad. Just can't stand players like him.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe

i'm glad the moore incident derailed his career, but i'd never hope for him to get injured, just happy that he's basically an average player.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

He was amazing as a Canuck and awful as anything else.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Canucks5551

He lost my respect with his incredibly half-assed final season with the Canucks. The guy couldn't even be bothered to try.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:04 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post

Are you serious? If it was accident, i would be over it. However, it wasn't, he tried to break the guys neck for god sakes!

Old
10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3361
Bertuzzi, Morrison and Naslund caught lightning in a bottle in 2001 and managed to hang on to it for about 2 1/2 years. Then, in the short span of about 3 weeks in early 2004 their world came crashing down, the lightning escaped and none of them were ever the same. This was a classic case of the sum being far greater than the individual parts.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Bertuzzi, Morrison and Naslund caught lightning in a bottle in 2001 and managed to hang on to it for about 2 1/2 years. Then, in the short span of about 3 weeks in early 2004 their world came crashing down, the lightning escaped and none of them were ever the same. This was a classic case of the sum being far greater than the individual parts.
Naslund had enough skill that he would have been a star for that era no matter who his linemates were. IIRC he didn't fully play with Bertuzzi and Morrison until partway through the 2002 season.

Naslund only really dropped off as a superstar when Moore injured his arm with that hit. It ruined his wristshot, which was his best asset and second best in the league to Joe Sakic.

Old
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
People need to get over it.

That said, he's still a good player. But second best behind Forsberg? C'mon he wasn't THAT good. He fits in well with the Wings, hard worker, goes to the net.
You obviously don't remember him that well then. He was top 4 - Forsberg, Iginla, Naslund and Bertuzzi were far and away the best players in the league in the early 2000's.

Old
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemanh View Post
Are you serious? If it was accident, i would be over it. However, it wasn't, he tried to break the guys neck for god sakes!
No, he didn't.

He didn't purposely try to break Moore's neck, just wanted to exact revenge for a questionable hit.

Now everyone goes and tries to beat the crap out of a guy who makes a hit, but Bertuzzi is vilified because of the outcome of the injury to Moore.

Also, if you don't think Burke and Crawford had anything to say about it, you're kidding yourself.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jagr View Post
You obviously don't remember him that well then. He was top 4 - Forsberg, Iginla, Naslund and Bertuzzi were far and away the best players in the league in the early 2000's.
Sakic, Jagr, Lidstrom..

Old
10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Briere Up There*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
That would be true if they weren't an excellent line for multiple years. You don't catch lightning in a bottle and hold on to it for 3 years.

Bertuzzi was one of the best players in the league pre lockout. Bit of a goof defensively but a great offensive forward. He cleared out room for himself and Naslund.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Drij

Still hate him.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:21 PM
MLSE

Sucks defensively, floater and is lucky to play on a team like the wings who can deal with his faults and actually use his strengths.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Mahovlich View Post
Naslund had enough skill that he would have been a star for that era no matter who his linemates were. IIRC he didn't fully play with Bertuzzi and Morrison until partway through the 2002 season.

Naslund only really dropped off as a superstar when Moore injured his arm with that hit. It ruined his wristshot, which was his best asset and second best in the league to Joe Sakic.
Naslund a superstar? Yeah okay...

Old
10-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Can't say I like him, but I don't really care about him all that much. He is pretty anonymous these days.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:25 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

I'm a Colorado fan, and I was when the Moore incident occurred. At the time, as a sophomore in high school, I was one of the many calling for Bertuzzi's head. As time has passed, though, I've begun to see the incident with more clarity:
- I don't think Bertuzzi meant to break Moore's neck.
- I believe that if Bertuzzi knew he would gravely injure Moore, he wouldn't have gone through with his cheapshot.
- I believe Bertuzzi legitimately feels like garbage for what happened, and not just because he fell off of his game because of it. I sincerely believe he regrets causing such harm to another human being.

With that in mind, I'm rather indifferent to Bertuzzi. I didn't like him pre-Moore (being a Canuck and all) and I always thought he had one of those faces you just wanted to punch. (See also: Darcy Tucker.) His game these past few seasons has been "meh" at best. He's slow as all heck, and just seems really apathetic. So really, he hasn't endeared himself to me at all, but I'm quite past the Steve Moore incident. I don't feel bad for Bertuzzi, and I certainly don't sympathize with him more than Moore, but I'm done hating him. Guy seems like he's on the downswing anyway, hard. It's not worth the energy getting riled up about him.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I dont hate him. He's fun to watch. He has good hands for a bigger guy and is surprisingly better than I thought he was. But what he has done in the past is still in my mind and he is a Red Wing, so I am not a fan.

Old
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemanh View Post
Really? What happened?!

Seriously, let it go. You can hate him as much as you want but really, people need to let it go.

Old
Briere Up There*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Naslund a superstar? Yeah okay...
What? He was.

Old
10-10-2010, 09:31 PM
AvalancheRy

As a human being, Bertuzzi definately deserves a second chance. I really think he regrets the stupid thing he did. However as a hockey player I can't say I will ever root for him. It only compounds when you take into account he is a red wing.

Closed Thread