HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What do fans of the NHL think of Todd Bertuzzi now....

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-10-2010, 08:49 PM
  #1
SabresFan44
Registered User
 
SabresFan44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 3,296
vCash: 500
What do fans of the NHL think of Todd Bertuzzi now....

I am a HUGE Bertuzzi fan (there are not many of them out there and that is where the 44 comes in my Username) and in his prime pre-Moore mistake was arguably the most dominant forward in the entire league not named Peter Forsberg from about 01-04.

He has had small runs with the Ducks, Flames, Wings twice and now has started the year with the Wings 2-0, getting points in both games.

If Detroit wins the cup this year I will be extremely happy as he is still in my top 5 players and I just hope he can get his game back to just half of what it was before.

And I know a lot of people hate him, he takes dumb penalties, etc but do you think the guy is still a credible player...

SabresFan44 is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 08:51 PM
  #2
CC Chiefs*
 
CC Chiefs*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 15,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFan44 View Post
I am a HUGE Bertuzzi fan (there are not many of them out there and that is where the 44 comes in my Username) and in his prime pre-Moore mistake was arguably the most dominant forward in the entire league not named Peter Forsberg from about 01-04.

He has had small runs with the Ducks, Flames, Wings twice and now has started the year with the Wings 2-0, getting points in both games.

If Detroit wins the cup this year I will be extremely happy as he is still in my top 5 players and I just hope he can get his game back to just half of what it was before.

And I know a lot of people hate him, he takes dumb penalties, etc but do you think the guy is still a credible player...
I never liked him when he was with the Wings the first time. But this time I like him a lot. Steady and plays ever night night.

CC Chiefs* is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 08:52 PM
  #3
Daryl
Registered User
 
Daryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
He's quite good in terms of skill,although his previous incidents might have dropped the ball on him in terms of respect from other teams and players around the league.

Daryl is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 08:54 PM
  #4
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User
 
Doctor Drej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Quiet Room
Country: United States
Posts: 10,920
vCash: 500
People need to get over it.

That said, he's still a good player. But second best behind Forsberg? C'mon he wasn't THAT good. He fits in well with the Wings, hard worker, goes to the net.

Doctor Drej is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 08:57 PM
  #5
headsigh
leave at once!
 
headsigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 9,868
vCash: 500
I don't really like him, but I respect his skill and the people who still hold the Moore hit over his head just come off as petty and mad to me.

Let the guy play, he's a human being.

headsigh is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 08:59 PM
  #6
Humphrey*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
I don't really like him, but I respect his skill and the people who still hold the Moore hit over his head just come off as petty and mad to me.

Let the guy play, he's a human being.
Meh, I hate him. His track record goes far beyond just the Moore hit. I don't think I'm being petty or mad. Just can't stand players like him.

Humphrey* is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:01 PM
  #7
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe
 
Ubi Sunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
i'm glad the moore incident derailed his career, but i'd never hope for him to get injured, just happy that he's basically an average player.

Ubi Sunt is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
  #8
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,180
vCash: 500
He was amazing as a Canuck and awful as anything else.

kmad is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:04 PM
  #9
Canucks5551
Registered User
 
Canucks5551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,172
vCash: 500
He lost my respect with his incredibly half-assed final season with the Canucks. The guy couldn't even be bothered to try.

Canucks5551 is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:04 PM
  #10
edgevolution
GO USA!
 
edgevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
I don't really like him, but I respect his skill and the people who still hold the Moore hit over his head just come off as petty and mad to me.

Let the guy play, he's a human being.
Are you serious? If it was accident, i would be over it. However, it wasn't, he tried to break the guys neck for god sakes!

edgevolution is online now  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
  #11
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,000
vCash: 3361
Bertuzzi, Morrison and Naslund caught lightning in a bottle in 2001 and managed to hang on to it for about 2 1/2 years. Then, in the short span of about 3 weeks in early 2004 their world came crashing down, the lightning escaped and none of them were ever the same. This was a classic case of the sum being far greater than the individual parts.

Chairman Maouth is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
  #12
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Bertuzzi, Morrison and Naslund caught lightning in a bottle in 2001 and managed to hang on to it for about 2 1/2 years. Then, in the short span of about 3 weeks in early 2004 their world came crashing down, the lightning escaped and none of them were ever the same. This was a classic case of the sum being far greater than the individual parts.
Naslund had enough skill that he would have been a star for that era no matter who his linemates were. IIRC he didn't fully play with Bertuzzi and Morrison until partway through the 2002 season.

Naslund only really dropped off as a superstar when Moore injured his arm with that hit. It ruined his wristshot, which was his best asset and second best in the league to Joe Sakic.

kmad is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
  #13
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.
 
The Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Centre Ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
People need to get over it.

That said, he's still a good player. But second best behind Forsberg? C'mon he wasn't THAT good. He fits in well with the Wings, hard worker, goes to the net.
You obviously don't remember him that well then. He was top 4 - Forsberg, Iginla, Naslund and Bertuzzi were far and away the best players in the league in the early 2000's.

The Bob Cole is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
  #14
DRWCountryClub
Registered User
 
DRWCountryClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemanh View Post
Are you serious? If it was accident, i would be over it. However, it wasn't, he tried to break the guys neck for god sakes!
No, he didn't.

He didn't purposely try to break Moore's neck, just wanted to exact revenge for a questionable hit.

Now everyone goes and tries to beat the crap out of a guy who makes a hit, but Bertuzzi is vilified because of the outcome of the injury to Moore.

Also, if you don't think Burke and Crawford had anything to say about it, you're kidding yourself.

DRWCountryClub is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
  #15
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jagr View Post
You obviously don't remember him that well then. He was top 4 - Forsberg, Iginla, Naslund and Bertuzzi were far and away the best players in the league in the early 2000's.
Sakic, Jagr, Lidstrom..

kmad is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
  #16
Briere Up There*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Žďár nad Sázavo
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Bertuzzi, Morrison and Naslund caught lightning in a bottle in 2001 and managed to hang on to it for about 2 1/2 years. Then, in the short span of about 3 weeks in early 2004 their world came crashing down, the lightning escaped and none of them were ever the same. This was a classic case of the sum being far greater than the individual parts.
That would be true if they weren't an excellent line for multiple years. You don't catch lightning in a bottle and hold on to it for 3 years.

Bertuzzi was one of the best players in the league pre lockout. Bit of a goof defensively but a great offensive forward. He cleared out room for himself and Naslund.

Briere Up There* is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:18 PM
  #17
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Still hate him.

Drij is online now  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:21 PM
  #18
MLSE
Registered User
 
MLSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,137
vCash: 500
Sucks defensively, floater and is lucky to play on a team like the wings who can deal with his faults and actually use his strengths.

MLSE is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:23 PM
  #19
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Mahovlich View Post
Naslund had enough skill that he would have been a star for that era no matter who his linemates were. IIRC he didn't fully play with Bertuzzi and Morrison until partway through the 2002 season.

Naslund only really dropped off as a superstar when Moore injured his arm with that hit. It ruined his wristshot, which was his best asset and second best in the league to Joe Sakic.
Naslund a superstar? Yeah okay...

Drij is online now  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:25 PM
  #20
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,943
vCash: 50
Can't say I like him, but I don't really care about him all that much. He is pretty anonymous these days.

Freudian is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:25 PM
  #21
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Country: United States
Posts: 2,311
vCash: 500
I'm a Colorado fan, and I was when the Moore incident occurred. At the time, as a sophomore in high school, I was one of the many calling for Bertuzzi's head. As time has passed, though, I've begun to see the incident with more clarity:
- I don't think Bertuzzi meant to break Moore's neck.
- I believe that if Bertuzzi knew he would gravely injure Moore, he wouldn't have gone through with his cheapshot.
- I believe Bertuzzi legitimately feels like garbage for what happened, and not just because he fell off of his game because of it. I sincerely believe he regrets causing such harm to another human being.

With that in mind, I'm rather indifferent to Bertuzzi. I didn't like him pre-Moore (being a Canuck and all) and I always thought he had one of those faces you just wanted to punch. (See also: Darcy Tucker.) His game these past few seasons has been "meh" at best. He's slow as all heck, and just seems really apathetic. So really, he hasn't endeared himself to me at all, but I'm quite past the Steve Moore incident. I don't feel bad for Bertuzzi, and I certainly don't sympathize with him more than Moore, but I'm done hating him. Guy seems like he's on the downswing anyway, hard. It's not worth the energy getting riled up about him.

ManOnTheMoon is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:27 PM
  #22
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues
 
Randall Ritchey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,711
vCash: 500
I dont hate him. He's fun to watch. He has good hands for a bigger guy and is surprisingly better than I thought he was. But what he has done in the past is still in my mind and he is a Red Wing, so I am not a fan.

Randall Ritchey is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:27 PM
  #23
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by codemanh View Post
Are you serious? If it was accident, i would be over it. However, it wasn't, he tried to break the guys neck for god sakes!
Really? What happened?!

Seriously, let it go. You can hate him as much as you want but really, people need to let it go.

Stjonnypopo is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:27 PM
  #24
Briere Up There*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Žďár nad Sázavo
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Naslund a superstar? Yeah okay...
What? He was.

Briere Up There* is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 09:31 PM
  #25
AvalancheRy
Registered User
 
AvalancheRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
As a human being, Bertuzzi definately deserves a second chance. I really think he regrets the stupid thing he did. However as a hockey player I can't say I will ever root for him. It only compounds when you take into account he is a red wing.

AvalancheRy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.