HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Letourneau-Leblond on waivers

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2010, 03:33 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Rosehill or what ever is name is, is a terrible fighter. Now if he had drop them vs Orr, then that would be more interesting. My tought are, Orr drops him like a turde, so what's the point.
PLLL has a good record, Janssen, Riley Côté, Shawn Thorton, Trevro Gillies, Jared Boll, Konopka and Brashear. Didn't loose one of them, either won or tie. His fight with Janssen is legendary.

Old
10-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I would absolutely claim him! But Martin and Gauthier won't 'cause they are afraid of toughness.

Old
10-12-2010, 04:54 PM
BadHabit

First of all - who?
Second of all - if I have to ask who, why do we need 4 pages to talk about someone with all of 37 NHL games who's a mere 6'2" and 210 lbs.

Oh wait, I see why. He was born in Levis. Silly me.

He's on waivers for a reason. Please, give me a break. Any of our 4th liners over this nobody.

Old
10-12-2010, 04:56 PM
tiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
First of all - who?
Second of all - if I have to ask who, why do we need 4 pages to talk about someone with all of 37 NHL games who's a mere 6'2" and 210 lbs.

He's on waivers for a reason. Please, give me a break. Any of our 4th liners over this nobody.
I don't care if he's from Madagascar... He's proven he can fight in this league.

Old
10-12-2010, 05:22 PM
BadHabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
I don't care if he's from Madagascar... He's proven he can fight in this league.
Who cares? We made it to the conference finals last year without a fighter. Don't need one.

Old
10-12-2010, 05:28 PM
LyleOdelein

Let's take a stroll down memory lane here. Here's a list of the Habs' enforcers since Odelein (the last great tough-guy they had in my very biased opinion) and up-and-comer Brashear were traded:

Chris Murray
Brad Brown
Mick Vukota
Dave Morrisette
Jim Cummins
Enrico Ciccone
PJ Stock
broken down Gino Odjick
Reid Simpson
Gordie Dwyer
Sylvain Blouin
broken down Randy McKay (not sure he counts)
Darren Langdon
Aaron Downey
Todd Simpson
Raitis Ivanans
broken down Georges Laraque

Off of that list, Langdon is the only player that I fondly remember. All the other guys were essentially useless (although occassionally entertaining) and often proved to be more trouble than they were worth for the team.

Letourneau-Leblond would fit right into this tradition. It may seem counter-intuitive, but picking up a guy that's willing to fight does not make improve a team's toughness. Picking up a guy that can play and will fight when it's appropriate does. Double hyphen man is not that player.

Old
10-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Bunka Gurndeep

Who cares about this random QC?

Sign a tough guy who CAN ALSO PLAY HOCKEY or don't sign anyone!

Think Dan Carcillo et al

QC QC QC QC QC

Old
10-12-2010, 06:38 PM
MXD

As far as waivers pickups are concerned, he'd be much better than Jeff Finger.

Which doesn't say much.

Old
10-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Exactly and that's what I was saying earlier in the thread,if we are going to have an extra forward might as well be him then a Darche or Pyatt who will give you the exact same as the other player.

At least Leblond can dress against some of the bigger teams like Toronto,Boston,Philly,Rangers
If you have a 13th guy, might as well be a tough guy.

Old
10-12-2010, 07:04 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Let's take a stroll down memory lane here. Here's a list of the Habs' enforcers since Odelein (the last great tough-guy they had in my very biased opinion) and up-and-comer Brashear were traded:

Chris Murray
Brad Brown
Mick Vukota
Dave Morrisette
Jim Cummins
Enrico Ciccone
PJ Stock
broken down Gino Odjick
Reid Simpson
Gordie Dwyer
Sylvain Blouin
broken down Randy McKay (not sure he counts)
Darren Langdon
Aaron Downey
Todd Simpson
Raitis Ivanans
broken down Georges Laraque

Off of that list, Langdon is the only player that I fondly remember. All the other guys were essentially useless (although occassionally entertaining) and often proved to be more trouble than they were worth for the team.

Letourneau-Leblond would fit right into this tradition. It may seem counter-intuitive, but picking up a guy that's willing to fight does not make improve a team's toughness. Picking up a guy that can play and will fight when it's appropriate does. Double hyphen man is not that player.
If you're counting since Odelein then you missed
Todd Ewen
Mario Roberge
Scott Thornton

Old
10-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Ryan White is better.

Old
10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Ryan White is better.
he ain't a better fighter,we are talking using Leblond as a 13th forward,gets games against the tough teams,White can replace a player like Darche or Halpern

Old
10-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
First of all - who?

A lot of good utility players pass bu the waivers. Rich Peverley was on waivers and he is a 2nd line center now. We got Begin like this and he was good for us

Old
10-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Bieber fever

I would take letourneau but not Leblond

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-13-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Condensed post
Old
10-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Pascal

Whenever someone goes on waiver I make sure to look at our forum to see who posted "Should we claim <Waiver Garbage>?"

Old
10-13-2010, 10:31 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
If you're counting since Odelein then you missed
Todd Ewen
Mario Roberge
Scott Thornton
I said since Odelein and Brashear were traded. Ewen played his last game for the Habs in 92-93. Roberge in 94-95. Odelein was traded after the 95-96 season. Brashear played 10 games of the following season before being dealt. The Odelein for Richer trade was the end of an era in a way. Sniff.

I guess I missed Thornton and Stevenson in my list. Although labeling both those guys as enforcers doesn't strike me as right (sort of like McKay).

My point was that there's a very low percentage of straight enforcers that are even a cut above useless for their team. With the decreasing number of enforcers in the league, fighting is becoming less specialized a trade.

The Isles/Rags game from Sunday is the perfect example of this shift. An intense game that had a lot of chirping pre-game and quite a few scrums and antics throughout it. Who fought in that game? Zenon Konopka and Brandon Prust. Who led the league in fights last year? Zenon Konopka and Brandon Prust. Those guys chipped in 8:31and 6:41in ice-time respectively.

Meanwhile, the nuclear deterrents Boogaard and Gillies sat on the bench twiddling their thumbs, anxiously awaiting that sweet tap on the shoulder that would mean they would get that highly anticipated shift against the only guy on the other team that they are supposed to fight, but it never came. Both skated for 1:34 and rode the pine the rest of the way.

In the end, if an enforcer has nothing else to offer but fighting ability he'll usually end up hurting his team in one way or another. Getting a guy that has been waived because he got suspended for pointlessly (and ineffectively I might add) trying to "send a message" by attempting to beat up a rookie on the Caps when his team was in dire need of bodies would likely end up being as effective as picking up a guy like Reid Simpson, Blouin or Dwyer was in the years past.

Old
10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Can someone confirm this guy is even French ?

Old
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Whenever someone goes on waiver I make sure to look at our forum to see who posted "Should we claim <Waiver Garbage>?"
Agreed, but this time I wouldn't have been too opposed to PLLL. Except we have White already knocking on the door and even though he's not the same type of player as PLLL, I don't see the point in bringing in one over the other.

Old
10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well since he cleared, I'll just close this up...

Closed Thread