HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Official Windows Phone Thread

Old
02-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7150 View Post
I'm not really sure, I'm just spitting out **** I've read elsewhere.

I did read that Windows 8 does support ARM, so maybe the synergy is more for their upcoming tablet line?
Yeah I heard about that, it's just the problem still lies in that ARM and x86/x84 code is compiled differently. So what I'm guessing is that devs are actually compiling for both ARM and x86 simultaneously when working with Microsoft's tools. The problem with that though is that each platform has it's own instruction sets.

In any case, I hope what you've been reading is true it would significantly cut down development time for developers who want to make their apps for Windows 8 Desktops, Laptops and and Tablets as well as WP8 on phones.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 04:50 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7150 View Post
I did read that Windows 8 does support ARM, so maybe the synergy is more for their upcoming tablet line?
That's more likely. Frankly, the new Metro UI is at best fairly worthless without a touchscreen, and at worst almost unusable with a mouse. Most all of the changes in Windows 8 are geared towards tablets.

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
That's more likely. Frankly, the new Metro UI is at best fairly worthless without a touchscreen, and at worst almost unusable with a mouse. Most all of the changes in Windows 8 are geared towards tablets.
There are still some cool features that aren't tablet related.

http://www.pcworld.in/features/windo...about-62022012

There is a work around with the developer build where you can disable metro too. Hopefully they implement an easy toggle eventually.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Damn exactly what I feared about ARM version of Windows 8.
Does not support x86/x64 apps.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/02/09/wi...port-x86-apps/

Old
02-09-2012, 11:03 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Damn exactly what I feared about ARM version of Windows 8.
Does not support x86/x64 apps.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/02/09/wi...port-x86-apps/
I don't find that surprising at all; it'd be like complaining that iOS apps won't run on OSX or Android ARM apps won't run on Android x86...short of a Rosetta type thing (is that even possible with ARM and x86?), MS probably figured it was easier to go one way over the other.

What I think will be confusing is calling it Windows 8 on both platforms.

It would just confuse the heck out of most people, that if they pick out one tablet (and who knows, maybe a tablet is a tablet all the same to them), but not being able to tell the difference between an x86 one or the ARM one. Unless I've been completely out of it (and probably am - I really haven't a lot of attention to Windows 8, I'm waiting on the final tablets before I even play with it), they should just call the ARM version WM8, and the more 'traditional' PC version, W8.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Osprey

If you want a real whopper of a blog post from a member of the Window 8 team, specifically on what Windows on ARM means, read (or skim) this:

MSDN - Building Windows for the ARM Processor Architecture

Quote:
Is there any details on how this is done? To my knowledge ARM and x86/x64 compiled code is vastly different. Windows 8 on desktops/laptops will most likely be running on x68/x64 while WP8 will be most likely be running on ARM.
The above blog post largely answers that. You'll need to target the WinRT set of APIs, which is supported by ARM, x86 and x64. The more that you're able to code for WinRT, the less that you need to write native code for those different architectures. If you don't include any native code in your app, it should run on both ARM and x86/x64; at least that's how I read what he wrote. If you do include native code, though, you'll need to compile two separate versions. So, it depends on the developer. I imagine that simpler apps (ex. calculator apps) will be inter-operable and more complex and demanding apps (ex. Photoshop and accelerated games) won't be, the reason being that using native code allows for greater performance and functionality.

The key thing to take away, though, is that even if apps aren't inter-operable between ARM and x86/x64, it's relatively simple to port them. So, if you wrote your app with WinRT in mind, regardless of whether you intended it as a desktop app or a mobile app, it won't take much more work for you to adapt it into the other.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
Most all of the changes in Windows 8 are geared towards tablets.
That's largely true, but many of those changes ought to benefit desktop/laptop users, as well. They're not just adding stuff on top of Windows 7 to make Windows 8; they're also re-engineering much of it to be more energy and resource efficient. For example, the same improvements that'll allow a Windows 8 tablet to last 10 hours on battery will allow a Windows 8 laptop to last longer on its battery, even if it's x86/x64 and not ARM. All of that work on energy efficiency might also help performance a little bit by controlling background processes. Also, Windows 8 desktops and laptops will boot up much faster, similarly benefiting from something that they needed to do for tablet use. Finally, as touchscreen PCs become more common, the "tablet" features and improvements in Windows 8 will start making sense as not just for tablets.

I think that, more accurately, Windows 8 is about bringing desktops/laptops, phones and tablets under one umbrella. The tablet aspect gets the most press because it's the "new" one, but there's a lot of behind-the-scenes work done that affects the whole line of targeted devices.

Old
02-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Finnpin

Some Nokia news from MWC Barcelona

Lumia 900 will be sold worldwide.

Lumia 610 is a new cheap windows phone.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Thinking of getting a Lumia 900.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I'm waiting for it. Plus, they announced Nokia Drive 2.0 and it works offline. That news alone made me very happy since I'm going to Portugal for six weeks this summer and I will need a GPS for sure.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I'm waiting for it. Plus, they announced Nokia Drive 2.0 and it works offline. That news alone made me very happy since I'm going to Portugal for six weeks this summer and I will need a GPS for sure.
Yeah, the offline maps look amazing. Turn by turn too.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Thinking of getting a Lumia 900.
So, I see the Lumia 900 has us contemplating having affairs...
I'm debating between a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X and Lumia 900.

Rogers clearly score the best 2012 phones so far.

Old
02-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
So, I see the Lumia 900 has us contemplating having affairs...
Indeed.

Windows Phone has always caught my eye. I'm pretty happy with my 4S and with iOS, but I'm feeling in the mood to experiment.

Old
02-28-2012, 02:31 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Elop confirmed it's coming to Canada in April. Earlier than I thought.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:57 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

How about dem WP8 leaks? And announcements?

First, the Lumia 920 PureView :

Though this one might look a bit different once revealed next week. Doesn't seem to be big enough to have PureView in it. Also, there's quite the waste of space under that screen. We'll see.

Next, the Lumia 820:

Looks good if you ask me.

Then, there's the HTC Concord:

Hard to judge that one.

Also, there's the ATIV S that was announced a couple days ago. Here's a new video of it. It looks much better than the plasticky SGSIII IMO.

Old
09-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I knew it.... too good to be true the ATIV S is made of a faux brushed aluminium plastic. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

WHY YOU NEVER LEARN SAMSUNG!

Old
09-01-2012, 02:35 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

What, really?

Old
09-01-2012, 03:25 AM
Finnpin

Lumia 920 PureView camera is rumored to be around 21MP...they just can't bring the full 41MP like in 808...would be too bulky. But I have a feeling that "half cut" will still be the best camera around the new phones coming up because 808 even beat out some good digital cameras in testings.

HTC wp8...LOL what a Lumia ripoff...law suit coming up? And isn't it called Accord? not Concord?

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 10:32 AM
invictus

I hope Windows 8, both in phone form and computer form, is awesome.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Also, there's the ATIV S that was announced a couple days ago. Here's a new video of it. It looks much better than the plasticky SGSIII IMO.
I really like that the ATIV S has a hardware camera button. The Accord appears to have a button in the same place, so that may be for the camera, as well. Perhaps that's a requirement for Windows Phone 8 devices, in which case I wholeheartedly approve. Ah, so WP8's new screenshot ability requires pressing the start button and the hardware camera button at the same time. That must mean that hardware camera buttons are required. That's definitely a big plus for WP8 for me. I wish that more Android phones would have that. Pressing the screen to take a photo is awkward and can increase the chance of dropping the phone.

Quote:
I knew it.... too good to be true the ATIV S is made of a faux brushed aluminium plastic. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

WHY YOU NEVER LEARN SAMSUNG!
I don't get why that's a bad thing. Plastic is lighter than metal and doesn't inhibit inductive ("wireless") charging or NFC communication like metal.

Old
09-01-2012, 03:58 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

The camera button is a requirement since the launch of WP7.

Old
09-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Osprey

Quote:
The camera button is a requirement since the launch of WP7.
Oh, I didn't realize that. It's odd that I completely missed that, since I read a lot about WP7's requirements at the time. There was a lot of controversy about whether my phone, the HTC HD2, would get WP7, and the reason given for why it eventually didn't was that it has too many buttons on the face. Nothing was said of it also lacking a camera button. That must've played into it, too, though. I eventually flashed 3rd-party WP7 ROMs on it, but didn't realize that WP7 supports such a button, since my phone doesn't have one.

It's too bad that the camera button on Windows Phones isn't more well known. That could be a real plus for a lot of people.

Old
09-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I don't get why that's a bad thing. Plastic is lighter than metal and doesn't inhibit inductive ("wireless") charging or NFC communication like metal.
The plastic Samsung uses is garbage. They say it's polycarbonate yet they are obsessed with gloss which negates the premium feel of polycarbonate.

If you get the chance hold a One X, Lumia 800/900 or more appropriately a Desire C in your hand. That's polycarbonate done right, especially the Desire C with a removable back cover.

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize that. It's odd that I completely missed that, since I read a lot about WP7's requirements at the time. There was a lot of controversy about whether my phone, the HTC HD2, would get WP7, and the reason given for why it eventually didn't was that it has too many buttons on the face. Nothing was said of it also lacking a camera button. That must've played into it, too, though. I eventually flashed 3rd-party WP7 ROMs on it, but didn't realize that WP7 supports such a button, since my phone doesn't have one.

It's too bad that the camera button on Windows Phones isn't more well known. That could be a real plus for a lot of people.
If windows phone had come out before Android it would probably be in the position iOS is right now and I'd suspect iOS would be where Android is right now.

The requirement is nice in my opinion because I love hardware camera buttons, but there is no basis behind it other than being able to capture a shot without unlocking your phone which a phone like the One X or Galaxy S III can do faster and without a hardware button.

Old
09-02-2012, 04:54 AM
Osprey

Quote:
The plastic Samsung uses is garbage. They say it's polycarbonate yet they are obsessed with gloss which negates the premium feel of polycarbonate.

If you get the chance hold a One X, Lumia 800/900 or more appropriately a Desire C in your hand. That's polycarbonate done right, especially the Desire C with a removable back cover.
OK, I thought that you were complaining that it wasn't metal. Thanks for explaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined
The requirement is nice in my opinion because I love hardware camera buttons, but there is no basis behind it other than being able to capture a shot without unlocking your phone which a phone like the One X or Galaxy S III can do faster and without a hardware button.
I think that ergonomics is a pretty big basis, even more important than not having to unlock the phone. It's awkward and unsatisfying to take shots by tapping the screen. It's also less safe, since you generally need to use your thumb to press the screen, the same thumb that you're likely stabilizing the phone with. These hardware camera buttons are exactly where your index finger would be, so well placed. Even if people only used the camera after unlocking it, they'd appreciate the ergonomics. There's also the fact that the button launches the camera app, so you don't have to hunt for and press an icon first.

Old
09-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
OK, I thought that you were complaining that it wasn't metal. Thanks for explaining.

I think that ergonomics is a pretty big basis, even more important than not having to unlock the phone. It's awkward and unsatisfying to take shots by tapping the screen. It's also less safe, since you generally need to use your thumb to press the screen, the same thumb that you're likely stabilizing the phone with. These hardware camera buttons are exactly where your index finger would be, so well placed. Even if people only used the camera after unlocking it, they'd appreciate the ergonomics. There's also the fact that the button launches the camera app, so you don't have to hunt for and press an icon first.
Actually I do want to see Samsung use metal. If doesn't need to be stainless steel (which inhibits wireless connections). Samsung's laptop division came up with their own allows for the Series 9 Laptop called duranium. Use that in their cellphone for pete's sake.

Yeah the ergonomics are a factor, but I mean adding a button adds significant design overhead for internals of an OEM.