HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Official Windows Phone Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
HTC Windows Phone 8X review:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...hone-8x-review

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:37 PM
ChickenBurrito

vCash: 820
I have the Lumia 920 and it's the best phone I've ever had.

ChickenBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:19 PM
invictus

Do you by chance also have a Windows 8 laptop/desktop/tablet?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Do you by chance also have a Windows 8 laptop/desktop/tablet?
I have a 920 and Surface RT, I've also been using WP's since they debuted. If you're interested in anything feel free to ask and I'll give you an honest opinion. I agree with the statement above, I love my 920 and it's the best phone I've ever owned. I've even had friends that ask about it all the time and are considering swapping to it from their iPhones and Androids because of how convenient it has proven to be for me.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:20 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I have a 920 and Surface RT, I've also been using WP's since they debuted. If you're interested in anything feel free to ask and I'll give you an honest opinion. I agree with the statement above, I love my 920 and it's the best phone I've ever owned. I've even had friends that ask about it all the time and are considering swapping to it from their iPhones and Androids because of how convenient it has proven to be for me.
Very cool. I was interested in a Windows phone last time I was up for renewal. But, at the time, Sprint only had one year-old Windows phone to choose from. I have Windows 8 on my laptop now. I guess I was just curious if you felt there was a good "flow" between the devices in how you use them and all.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:49 PM
ChickenBurrito

vCash: 820
I don't have another W8 device. But when I get a new laptop ill go for a W8 one.

ChickenBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Very cool. I was interested in a Windows phone last time I was up for renewal. But, at the time, Sprint only had one year-old Windows phone to choose from. I have Windows 8 on my laptop now. I guess I was just curious if you felt there was a good "flow" between the devices in how you use them and all.
At this point, no. There isn't enough synch between the devices. But there will be a kernal update for the Windows Blue release that will update WP to the same version used in W8 which will allow cross platform development. There's no thinking how it will be implemented specifically, but the idea is that we'll start to see developers package apps for both W8 and WP8 (maybe even xbox too).

Right now we're stuck using the SkyDrive as an intermediary. Some developers use it well and store data on there for both devices to synch via.

The stock apps from MS are very isolated from WP overall, they are very much two different devices sadly. If you keep an eye on WP you'll see features uniting them in the future.

There's of course very nice flow throughout the Outlook system. So anything you hook up via Outlook.com will synch wonderfully between both devices (Mail, Contacts, Calendar).

I switched from Sprint when I realized that they would never care about WP enough to support it with devices made by Nokia like the 920. Surprisingly, with the number of devices on my contract I save money with them.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:54 PM
invictus

Quote:
At this point, no. There isn't enough synch between the devices. But there will be a kernal update for the Windows Blue release that will update WP to the same version used in W8 which will allow cross platform development. There's no thinking how it will be implemented specifically, but the idea is that we'll start to see developers package apps for both W8 and WP8 (maybe even xbox too).

Right now we're stuck using the SkyDrive as an intermediary. Some developers use it well and store data on there for both devices to synch via.

The stock apps from MS are very isolated from WP overall, they are very much two different devices sadly. If you keep an eye on WP you'll see features uniting them in the future.

There's of course very nice flow throughout the Outlook system. So anything you hook up via Outlook.com will synch wonderfully between both devices (Mail, Contacts, Calendar).

I switched from Sprint when I realized that they would never care about WP enough to support it with devices made by Nokia like the 920. Surprisingly, with the number of devices on my contract I save money with them.
Cool. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Old
05-05-2013, 01:05 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenBurrito View Post
I have the Lumia 920 and it's the best phone I've ever had.
Same here bud. And it's only getting better.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

I just got a Laptop with Windows 8, and while I have a copy of Windows 7 on the side, I decided that I was going to give it a fair shot.

So far I've had to Google how to do a few things on Windows 8, which is unsettling for a person that has used Windows for the better part of 18 years now.

Not too bad so far.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
I just got a Laptop with Windows 8, and while I have a copy of Windows 7 on the side, I decided that I was going to give it a fair shot.

So far I've had to Google how to do a few things on Windows 8, which is unsettling for a person that has used Windows for the better part of 18 years now.

Not too bad so far.
Whatcha need help with? There are some new tricks one has to get used to, I spent months trying to figure out how to close an app without a mouse on a tablet for instance.

I think one of the most frustrating things about Windows 8 is not the OS itself but the overall resentment people have given it. Sure, the decision to drop the start menu was misguided (it's coming back in 8.1) but people are so irrationally afraid of change. You get iOS when you're afraid to make advancements, I can't think of anyone that likes the fact iOS has never had a design change.

That and application support. Big companies are quite adverse to supporting another platform so early, but Windows 8 isn't going anywhere so it seems kind of silly to let their competition get on Windows 8 before them. I'm still at a loss for why Google is fighting so hard with keeping Youtube off the MS platform.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:03 PM
guinness
those were the days

8 isn't without it's quirks (the start screen is visually pleasing, but does add a couple layers of obfuscation IMO), outside of the live tiles, I don't use it much, and I'm not a huge fan of their global search in 8. It's basically the same as Vista/7, but going from the desktop to the start screen is always visually jarring for me.

Biggest personal peeve, is how shut down/restart/sleep is buried in one of the charms, or requires hitting Win+I (which varies depending on what program is active, reminds me of preferences in OSX)

In terms of adopting metro apps, I think most just need to get more functional, they feel like phone/tablet apps.

Outside of that, for the most part, everything is that same, but I could observe real improvements in startup/shutdown times, and I like the syncing of my Live accounts between my Win8 machines.

I feel that the rage in the press/forums is vastly overblown though, it reminds me of Vista's backlash, but at the same time, Metro is the odd duck in a pure desktop environment, it feels designed for trackpads*/touch screens, and better in usage on a laptop.

*still have not found a laptop trackpad that is anywhere as good as what Apple puts out though, they're always inconsistent in scrolling response or this particular trackpad on my Dell has confusion sometimes between the two finger scrolling and pinch to zoom, or scrolling sometimes has a hell of time in the weather or skydrive apps, it's maddeningly fussy.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 01:59 AM
Finnpin

Music video shot by Lumia 925:

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 12:22 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Nokia is doing everything they can. Microsoft needs to hurry up and push updates.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Finnpin

Monster called EOS.

Old
07-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Finnpin

Lumia 1020 (Ten Twenty)

Old
07-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Is there an iTunes app for WP?

I'm looking between iPhone, Android, Windows Phone for my next phone - leaning against iPhone because the speaker died on it (compared to my flip phone which is now my alarm and has worked for over a decade now).

But if Android/WP don't have an iTunes app IDK I guess I'll stick with iPhone.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Finnpin

Old
07-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reg Season SC View Post

I'm looking between iPhone, Android, Windows Phone for my next phone - leaning against iPhone because the speaker died on it (compared to my flip phone which is now my alarm and has worked for over a decade now).

There are Apps that bridge iTunes and Android phones.
Although I'm not sure what's so good about iTunes to be the determining factor in which smartphone I'd get.

I'd chose the right smartphone for me then use the appropriate software for it, not the other way around.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:

The native windows phone app for PC and Mac can sync with iTunes music and iirc the Mac version can sync directly with iTunes, but I don't have a mac to verify.

What do you need the phone to do specifically if you get it? I can let you know what some of the limitations are today.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
MyScoresCa
Rookie User

Like the interface and home screen, haven't heard many good things overall about previous windows phones...

MyScoresCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
There are Apps that bridge iTunes and Android phones.
Although I'm not sure what's so good about iTunes to be the determining factor in which smartphone I'd get.

I'd chose the right smartphone for me then use the appropriate software for it, not the other way around.
Quote:
The native windows phone app for PC and Mac can sync with iTunes music and iirc the Mac version can sync directly with iTunes, but I don't have a mac to verify.

What do you need the phone to do specifically if you get it? I can let you know what some of the limitations are today.
I have a large folder of iTunes music, TV shows and movies - large enough that breaking digital locks on them would be time consuming.

I'm just wondering if there's an app or a way I can upload the music or a video on toa windows, android phone and play it (almost like I would with the iPhone - which would obviously be easier since it syncs in iTunes).

Old
07-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScoresCa View Post
Like the interface and home screen, haven't heard many good things overall about previous windows phones...
It's pretty nice. The only thing people complain about is third party app support.

Quote:
I have a large folder of iTunes music, TV shows and movies - large enough that breaking digital locks on them would be time consuming.

I'm just wondering if there's an app or a way I can upload the music or a video on toa windows, android phone and play it (almost like I would with the iPhone - which would obviously be easier since it syncs in iTunes).
Damn =[
I made an effort to get DRM free media.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ho...ic-to-my-phone

Just looked it up to verify, the DRM is definitely locking you out of WP too. But if you stripped the DRM via any standard ripper (loss of quality and legal considerations) you'd be able to use iTunes.

Another consideration if you were curious is that Xbox Music now supports audio collection syncing, it's still in its early state, but I've heard positive remarks about it. So for something like $100 a year you could get Xbox Music, but it's a subscription service mostly which understandably most people are adverse too.

You're probably stuck with an iPhone I'd imagine. I left iTunes years ago when I started to realize how stuck I was with them digitally. Same reason I'm hesitant to buy Kindle Books. I'd rather pay for streaming services like Nokia Music, Xbox Music and Netflix than buy content at full price and get stuck somewhere.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ho...ic-to-my-phone

Just looked it up to verify, the DRM is definitely locking you out of WP too. But if you stripped the DRM via any standard ripper (loss of quality and legal considerations) you'd be able to use iTunes.

Another consideration if you were curious is that Xbox Music now supports audio collection syncing, it's still in its early state, but I've heard positive remarks about it. So for something like $100 a year you could get Xbox Music, but it's a subscription service mostly which understandably most people are adverse too.

You're probably stuck with an iPhone I'd imagine. I left iTunes years ago when I started to realize how stuck I was with them digitally. Same reason I'm hesitant to buy Kindle Books. I'd rather pay for streaming services like Nokia Music, Xbox Music and Netflix than buy content at full price and get stuck somewhere.
Hmmm apparently the music should be DRM free so it shouldn't matter for Windows/Android phones. I'm not too worried about the movies/TV-shows just have a device I can listen to music on while I commute on the bus/train.

I'm just looking for a change after the speaker died on my iPhone (for no reason I can think of).