HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Name guys who rarely fought based on fear/respect from opponents

Old
10-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Name guys who rarely fought based on fear/respect from opponents

Okay I am going to name some of the usual suspects here but feel free to throw in some more. These guys were notorious fighters who could fight with the best of them but when you look at their penalty minutes they often didn't have the fights you expect for good reason, opponents were afraid of them.

Howe - no explanation needed. I think he had 22 fights his whole career. No one messed with the big man especially after 1959 when he smashed poor Lou's face

Lindros - Another good example. He fought more often and since he was hated so much he was challenged enough times but even when his skills eroded his fists never did (ask Thornton in 2003)

Robinson - Big Bird would skate up to a pile and manage to calm it down. The sheer prescence of him on the ice was enough

Gillies - Protected Bossy pretty near his whole career yet never had 100 PIM in a season. And why would he? In his rookie season he fought Schultz and beat him convincingly, no one tested him much after that

Horton - arguably the strongest man in NHL history. He had a good enough reputation where he had the respect around the NHL

Chara - probably the best fighter in the NHL right now...........when someone wants to try it. A poll a while ago was asked who would win in a fight between Chara or Pronger. It was a no brainer for me. Chara fought Laraque once. Pronger's toughest foe was Barnaby maybe? There wasn't a set time but I know that my opinion of Chara changed when he rag dolled McCabe

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Sens Rule

Chara is certainly not the BEST fighter in the NHL today. Chara is however possibly the most DANGEROUS fighter and he deserves to be on your list. Chara will fall down a lot in a fight mostly because he seems to try to throw punches too hard and throws himself off balance. I wonder if he is really feared that much though since he so rarely fights anymore at all.

I saw him fight Cairns after Cairns tried to castrate him with a spear... that is going to make anyone mad. He fought Ivanans and crushed his face in after Ivanans took a small run at I think Alfredsson in a game in I think 2006 or 2007.

But does Chara really stop players from taking liberties with the Bruins stars today? I don't think he does because this is the new NHL that does not have the kind of fighting that occured in the past. Does Chara take an instigator and get kicked out of a game when he is Boston's best player to stand up for a teammate? In the past Robinson or Gilles could have fought or threatened to fight a guy but really now Chara is likely not going to fight unless you try to castrate him with a spear or something.

I am sure many fighters would try to goad Chara into a fight if they could get him off the ice for 5 minutes or longer, but it is not easy to do.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
reckoning

Curt Bennett: A black-belt in karate who rarely fought but could do a lot of damage when he did.

Barry Beck: Fought a lot in his early years, but seemed to do it less and less as he got older. Dropyourgloves only has him with one clear loss in his career. His style was more wrestling than punch-throwing, but with his size he could probably hurt somebody if he wanted.

Rod Langway: One of the bigger players of his time, was rarely challenged to a fight despite his many physical battles with forwards in front of the net.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:31 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

I don't know about Langway, I don't remember him being much of a fighter.

Howe is the obvious number one pick here.

Chara was certainly the most frightening player playing in 08/09, but he showed almost none of that; "I'll snap and pummel you" vibe last year. I really hope it returns this year........

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:56 PM
begbeee

I think Chára fits in this category really well. He has a ton of respect and needn´t to fight every night. But he is definetly not the best fighter in the league in terms of technique, but his power and height is enough for win almost everytime... I really dont remember when he lost.

And I will throw another name into discussion: Stevens.
Yes, he has some rendze-vous with Lindros or Messier but I dont remember him as a fighter.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 03:58 PM
MXD

The guy who got that reputation (in the past) was Emile Bouchard. No youtube links of it, though.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:04 PM
RabbinsDuck

How about Bobby Hull?
With his incredible strength and athleticism, I would think him capable of doing terrible damage.... But I have never heard he was that effective when he did get into a scrap

Red Kelly was a golden gloves boxer. He rarely rarely fought but I have read a few accounts of him leveling others when it did happen.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:10 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
How about Bobby Hull?
With his incredible strength and athleticism, I would think him capable of doing terrible damage.... But I have never heard he was that effective when he did get into a scrap

Red Kelly was a golden gloves boxer. He rarely rarely fought but I have read a few accounts of him leveling others when it did happen.
Hull was pretty good with his fists but didn't fight often. He did win a decision against john ferguson. don't think anybody challenged him much after that including Ferguson

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:38 PM
LMFAO

Well I remember last year Colton Orr challenged Chara to fight and Chara wanted no part of it

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Curt Bennett: A black-belt in karate who rarely fought but could do a lot of damage when he did.

Barry Beck: Fought a lot in his early years, but seemed to do it less and less as he got older. Dropyourgloves only has him with one clear loss in his career. His style was more wrestling than punch-throwing, but with his size he could probably hurt somebody if he wanted.

Rod Langway: One of the bigger players of his time, was rarely challenged to a fight despite his many physical battles with forwards in front of the net.
Barry Beck is a good one.

Hull another.

Al Secord.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:07 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
Well I remember last year Colton Orr challenged Chara to fight and Chara wanted no part of it
Why would he?

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Boogaard. I mean, for Chara you challenge him and he knows he's good and his team needs him. Boogaard sucks and his team does better with him off the ice, so beating the crap out of someone is something Boogaard is more than willing to do.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I've heard that Howe actually had a losing record in fights.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I think Chára fits in this category really well. He has a ton of respect and needn´t to fight every night. But he is definetly not the best fighter in the league in terms of technique, but his power and height is enough for win almost everytime... I really dont remember when he lost.
I know on Off the Record the other day they labelled him as the best fighter in the NHL. Who said anything about technique though? It's Chara's size and strength that make him effective.

Old
10-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Hull was pretty good with his fists but didn't fight often. He did win a decision against john ferguson. don't think anybody challenged him much after that including Ferguson
Didn't Hull's wife at the time go up to John Ferguson after the game and say something along the lines of "thanks for teaching my husband a lesson?" We all know the allegations Hull had against him (I said allegations) of spousal abuse. This has got to be that time the two of them fought because I don't know of any other times. Makes you wonder if Hull actually did win the fight. But either way he gained respect.

Another name I'll throw out that I should have thought about would be Messier.

Old
10-11-2010, 09:27 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Dave "Cement Head" Semenko.

I remember vividly he was a sobering presence as most opponents did not want to fight him (Muhammad Ali did though). Semenko averaged .147 fights per game over his 10 year NHL career. Given his sole purpose was to be an enforcer, not having to fight most nights is a testament to the respect he got from opponents.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
LMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Why would he?
because apparently he's the best fighter in the league and everybody is too afraid of him lol

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Sensfanman

I know Lecavalier isn't a fighter, but to me, this is why Chara doesn't have to fight anymore.

He could have busted him up pretty bad there but didn't. He throws big punches and will easily grapple you to the ice but he never loses his head.

Well, that and what he did to McCabe.

They also mention how he KO'd Lessard a few weeks prior.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Gillies - Protected Bossy pretty near his whole career yet never had 100 PIM in a season. And why would he? In his rookie season he fought Schultz and beat him convincingly, no one tested him much after thate
Childhood bias, but his name immediately came to mind, for the very reason you said. The ultimate enforcer; few ever wanted to tango with him. And his impact on Bossy and Trottier's success is severely underrated in some quarters, IMO. His presence opened up a ton of space for those two to go to work...and they did.

Don't believe me, ask Ed Hospadar. Or better yet, YouTube Gillies breaking his jaw one preseason game in retaliation for Hospadar taking a cheapshot at Bossy...the previous season.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 02:48 AM
The Perfect Human*

Pronger comes to mind.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 03:46 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Al Secord.
Secord fought a ton and was over 300 PIMs one year.

Orland Kurtenbach was one of the most feared fighters of the 1960s/70s but didn't find willing partners very often.

Behn Wilson was a guy people avoided pretty good by the end of his career.

Rick Rypien is a weird case right now. He's too small to fight heavyweights, but has trouble finding anyone within 20 pounds of him who's willing to go. Iginla has been ducking him for the past couple years.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:06 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
because apparently he's the best fighter in the league and everybody is too afraid of him lol
So then he must fight every 4th line goon who challenge him?

Last edited by Ensane: 10-12-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: editted out the flame
jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
I know on Off the Record the other day they labelled him as the best fighter in the NHL. Who said anything about technique though? It's Chara's size and strength that make him effective.
I think Chara is the most difficult guy to beat in a fight because of his size and strength, but it doesn't mean he's the best fighter. He can tie up the best fighters, but he doesn't really beat them. His fights against Laraque are a good example of this.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:14 AM
pappyline

Quote:
Didn't Hull's wife at the time go up to John Ferguson after the game and say something along the lines of "thanks for teaching my husband a lesson?" We all know the allegations Hull had against him (I said allegations) of spousal abuse. This has got to be that time the two of them fought because I don't know of any other times. Makes you wonder if Hull actually did win the fight. But either way he gained respect.

Another name I'll throw out that I should have thought about would be Messier.
That quote regarding Hull's wife never happened. The only place it appears is in Ferguson's biography & it is complete Self-serving BS.

And Hull did win the fight.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
That quote regarding Hull's wife never happened. The only place it appears is in Ferguson's biography & it is complete Self-serving BS.

And Hull did win the fight.
That's why I brought it up, it's an awfully weird quote to make up if it never happened, makes you wonder