HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The D in 2011

Old
10-08-2010, 10:54 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

vCash: 500
The D in 2011

hey guys just been wondering over the last few days what are we gonna do for defenseman next year?

we will have
Markov top 4
Subban top4
O'byrne
Spacek
Gorges

I still feel like we are short one Dman and preferably he'd be capable of eating up some big minutes.

perferably larsson wheres another gm like burke when you need him

Last edited by subbanged: 10-08-2010 at 11:08 AM.
subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:09 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

This offseason is going to be HUGE for our D. The offense has 1 or 2 main question marks, what to do with A.Kost and Pouliot and pretty much it. But for our D, Hamrlik and Gill are UFA,

-I thought maybe O'B could have a big year and replace Gill on the 3rd pairing with Gorges and have Gorges-O'B, but with his play I don't think thats happening, so there is a small chance that Gill or maybe even Hamrlik might be resigned for cheap to play with Gorges.

-The Hamrlik cap hit space is going be used for a good stay at home RD d-man to play with Markov(resigned for sure imo), I would love someone like Matt Greene, James Wisniewski.

-I think the habs are going to try to move Spacek but I don't know if we are going to have any takers, and if not I think Spacek will stay for one more year playing with Gorges instead of resigning Gill or Hamrlik.

I think big changes our coming to our D next year just don't know what exctatly

Markov-(Matt Greene?.. etc)
Vetern UFA D-man- Subban
Hamrlik/Spacek/Gill/-Gorges

just my thoughts

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:13 AM
leshabitants44

Depending on how Gill fares this year, hopefully well, I wouldn't mind seeing him come back for another year and then make an offer to an RFA that the other team cannot match or a UFA but I'm not sure who will be available.. maybe jack johnson will become available, would seem to be one of the better options as he is in the last year of his contract and they have thomas hickey waiting in the wings.

leshabitants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
coolasprICE

Simply said, it be great if we can sign the best available D man on the market.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
hey guys just been wondering over the last few days what are we gonna do for defenseman next year?

we will have
Markov top 4
Subban top4
O'byrne
Spacek
Gorges

I still feel like we are short one Dman and preferably he'd be capable of eating up some big minutes.
I think the most reasonable pick up for next year's defense should be Bieksa. He fills our needs now and for down the road.

Markov Bieksa
Subban Spacek
Gorges O'Byrne

We will probably have enough money with the departure of Hamrlik, Gill on our back end. Thats over 8mill.

I look at it this way.

Markov = the same amount our maybe a raise to round off at 6 per season.
Spacek = 3.833
Gorges = should be looking at a raise up to about 2.5mill
O'Byrne= will be looking for a 1 way deal, locking his spot in the lineup, he will probably sign for cheaper to get a 1 way, maybe 700k
Subban= 875k

= 13.9mill in cap. Say we could get Bieksa for like 3mill per, would bring us to 16.9mill. We are roughly paying alittle bit over 20mill this year with Hamrlik and Gill's salary. With Bieksa, out D lineup looks a little more complete, with the aspects of speed, mobility, leadership, physical, from all of our dman.

If we wanted to push our D lineup to the 20mill again, we have enough money to sign probably another big fish dman around 4mill. Possibly Pitkanen?

Offense is another topic, as this post relates to the D for next year, so this is definetly going to be a better defensive core for next season, with the dough we have and the offense pretty decent too.

Markov Bieksa
Subban Pitkanen
Gorges Spacek

ex. O'Byrne

Last edited by BigHabs: 10-08-2010 at 11:24 AM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Sign two UFAs, re-sign Gill to keep him paired with Gorges and keep O'Byrne as a 7th D.

Markov
Subban
UFA signing
UFA signing
Gorges
Gill
O'Byrne

As for who the UFAs would be; some interesting ones are Bieksa, Giordano, Ehrhoff, Brewer, Hannan and Pitkanen. Otherwise, a little less realistic; Kaberle and Chara are available as well.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:22 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Markov LD on the first pairing, and Subban RD on the second pairing are near locks. I don't mind O'Byrne as the RD on the third pairing, due to his toughness and physicality. Gorges will be LD on either the 2nd or 3rd pairing. I wouldn't mind bringing back Gill or Hammer for cheap on a 1 year deal to play LD on the 2nd or 3rd pairing, and then spend 3-4 mill to sign a right D, who can play on the first pairing with Markov...

Markov-FA
Hammer/Gill-Subban
Gorges-O'Byrne

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

I would throw some money at Ehrhoff. He is a VERY good defenseman who will also be a huge asset on the PP with his bomb of a shot. And get a veteran shudown type to play with Subban. Also re-sign Gill.

Markov - Ehrhoff
(UFA Shutdown) OR Spacek - Subban
Gill - Gorges
O'byrne / Weber / Carle / Emelin

EDIT: Forgot about Spacek. Maybe keep him with Subban for one year.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:29 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Obviously re-sign Markov hopefully to a fair value for all concerned. I would keep one of Hamrlik, Spacek or Gill. I'd lean towards Hamrlik only at the right price because he's a diversified guy if you need a stop gap for something (temporary heavy minutes, powerplay, penalty kill, mentor). That means Spacek would get traded or something and Gill doesn't get re-signed.

Markov - UFA/Trade (a Volchenkov type) or Gorges
UFA/Trade (a Volchenkov type) or Gorges - Subban
Hamrlik or Spacek or Gill - young d-man from the Habs' system

Geez...........I don't know. I mean you can wish for the obvious (Kaberle, Bieksa) but what's really going to happen. Markov's health may be an issue too and the prospects haven't been great.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Sign two UFAs, re-sign Gill to keep him paired with Gorges and keep O'Byrne as a 7th D.

Markov
Subban
UFA signing
UFA signing
Gorges
Gill
O'Byrne

As for who the UFAs would be; some interesting ones are Bieksa, Giordano, Ehrhoff, Brewer, Hannan and Pitkanen. Otherwise, a little less realistic; Kaberle and Chara are available as well.
I don't see Kaberle as unrealistic. If Komi went there, why not him here, seeing as how Burke asked him to go elsewhere before.

Getting passes on the point from Markov, with Kaberle's shot... just saying, I think he'd like it here. At least here, we like Europeans.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:36 AM
TheGoalJudge

Markov - _____
______ - Subban
______ - O'Byrne

Personally, I think Gorges can play RD next to Markov. Spacek will probably hang on and play beside O'Byrne. So ya, we're basically missing a 2nd pairing LD.

Guys available:

Pitkanen
Phillips
Ehrhoff

Cheaper:

Daley
Hejda
Giordano

RFAs:

Jack Johnson
Yandle
Sekera

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:40 AM
McTusk

I really think Gill will be back, he has an A and everybody raves about his leadership, not sure if I would bring him back. More than likely I hope at least:

Markov
Hamrlik's money
Subban
Gorges
Spacek
Gill
O'Byrne

I think it would be a mistake to not sign another defencemen in what will be Hamrlik's former price range of 4.5 - 5.5. The UFA market has changed since the Habs had to sign Hamr to fill a huge hole, and now further into the CBA much younger players are hitting the market. There will be a definite need for a 20 minute plus guy who can at least get the puck out of the zone. Just get that one need taken care of and I will be happy.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Vancouver is in the most interesting situation. With the money they have tied up in Hamhuis, Ballard and Edler, 1 or 2 of Salo, Bieksa and Ehrhoff probably won't be back. If it's just one, the point is moot because they will just let Mr. Glass walk and use his $3.5M on the other two.

Ehrhoff is clearly the most interesting option, but you'd have to imagine Vancouver will do everything they can to re-sign him. That leaves Bieksa, who I haven't seen enough of but I've heard good and bad. If he's the odd-man out in Vancouver, what is he worth to us?

Now watch them all sign contracts way under market value because that's just what happens in Vancouver.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
sorry but gill and hammer need to go
with that 8 million (or more) that can be palayed into something better then those two
that is for sure

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

If we can get one of Chara, Kaberle, Ehrhoff, Phillips, Jovanovski, we'll have a pretty solid top 3 with Markov and Subban.

IF we can't get one of them, might as well go crazy and try our luck with a RFA...

Re-sign Gill, Gorges and OB, with Subban and Markov, move-up Carle or Weber, buyout Spacek, and you have around 8 mil to throw at one of those :

Weber, Seabrook, Bogosian, Carlson, Doughty, Johnson, Sbisa, Schenn, Hickey...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
hopefully emelin will come over and be a cheap option for us...

Ace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Simply said, it be great if we can sign the best available D man on the market.
Next summer,Markov of course but he is staying here

Chara,Kaberle,Phillips,Pitkanen, Giordano I wouldn't mind

RFA.S.Weber,Doughty,Seabrook,Bogosian

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:57 AM
De Montreal
help

We should sign a right-handed defenceman. We are awfully short on those. Chara and Kaberle shoot left unfortunately.

OIUHFEHUOFOUFH it seems like every single UFA/RFA defenceman to be are left-handed.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
We should sign a right-handed defenceman. We are awfully short on those. Chara and Kaberle shoot left unfortunately.

OIUHFEHUOFOUFH it seems like every single UFA/RFA defenceman to be are left-handed.
Not going to happen but Doughty,Weber and Seabrook are all right handed,we have PK

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:59 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

An offersheet will not happen, at least with the current management.

Hamrlik won't be back and I wouldn't mind Gill back on a cheap contract to split games with O'Byrne as the 6/7th d-man. Gorges would be a regular on the 3rd pairing.

Spacek will also stay. I know that a lot would like to see him gone but you can pretty much forget about it. I think he could help Subban on the 2nd pairing.

Of course, the priority is to re-sign Markov. There are a couple interesting options but I think that Bieksa would be a great fit considering his physical presence and his overall game.

It's a little off topic but I would like to keep some money to upgrade our forwards group. If David Backes isn't re-signed by the Blues, he would be a PERFECT fit in our top 6. I wouldn't mind some kind of overpayment to get this guy next summer.

One of Kostitsyn or Pouliot would be the odd man out.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:05 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

Although I doubt they let him go, Chris Phillips would look great playing next to Markov. I would also not mind Pitkanen, Bieksa or Ehrhoff, but I doubt Van lets the Ehrhoff go.

Personally I would welcome Hamrlik or Spacek back at a reduced price, I love their game, only knock is their play sometimes doesn't match their contract.

Markov-1
Hamrlik/Spacek-Subban
2-Gorges

1=Bieksa, Pitkanen, Phillips, Ehrhoff, Chara
2=Gill (maybe), OByrne, Daley

In terms of likelihood, not preference

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
#1 Markov ~6.5mil
#2 ?
#3 Subban ~0.85mil
#4 ?
#5 Gorges ~2.5mil
#6 Gill ~1.5mil (I think he can still play a couple more years...what's he going to do get slower?)

We just need a #2 & #4 and we'd be pretty much set on D for a while. Easier said that done though. Two way #2 and a hard hitting shutdown #4 would be ideal.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Go Habs Go

I would love to get Kaberle. Kaberle/Markov on the powerplay would be so deadly

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM
FrankMTL

I want to see how Yannick Weber and Mathieu Carle progress first. Tinordi will be ready (hopefully) in 3 years...(2 years at the earliest). We obvioulsy need to re-sign Markov (who should be getting somewhere close to the salary he's getting now), Josh Gorges (maybe 5 years, 12.5 million) and O'Byrne (less than a million). Subban is signed already and if Spacek sucks, we can bury him in the minors. That means we need at least 2 more d-men.

Should be an interesting off season on the back end, thats for sure.

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2000 View Post
hopefully emelin will come over and be a cheap option for us...
This.

If we make the playoffs I wouldn't mind making an offer sheet for Seabrook and unless he takes a hometown discount I don't think Chicago can afford to match an offer sheet from us. I doubt Chicago can afford to keep Seabrook, Hossa and Campbell for next season but we will see.

-----

With Spacek signed to a 35+ contract aren't we more or less stuck with him?

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote