HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hammer suspension watch - 2 games

Old
10-13-2010, 01:40 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Since JP got injured and Hammer got a major and misconduct the league had to give a suspension. 2 games is the usual, even if 1 would have been enough. Those that were shouting for a 5+ game suspensions look like fools.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
The overreaction to this hit is almost comical and to a certain extent almost lessens its severity by the sheer absurdity of the responses.
Yeah, but it's sure fun to see one picture send them into apoplectic rage.

The evidence that shows it was a hit from the side was enough to make them huddle together for support like frightened little girls. The personal attacks were a bit disappointing, though; not a lot imagination between em.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
The evidence that shows it was a hit from the side was enough to make them huddle together for support like frightened little girls. The personal attacks were a bit disappointing, though; not a lot imagination between em.
Uhm law of physics mean anything to you? You can see even from that grainy ass picture that the hit has already happened and Pominville is turning towards to boards. How is that possible if the hit came from the side.

2 games is about right, any more would have been bit too much. Same goes for anything less.

Jagemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagemon View Post
Uhm law of physics mean anything to you? You can see even from that grainy ass picture that the hit has already happened and Pominville is turning towards to boards. How is that possible if the hit came from the side.
Oh look, there's one here too!

If he was hit from behind into the boards, wouldn't he need to be facing the boards?

If he was hit from behind but not into the boards, why isn't he flat on the ice facefirst?

If he was hit from behind, why is Hjalmarsson in front of him?

If he was hit from behind, why was the penalty for boarding?

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 03:24 AM
Jagemon

Quote:
If he was hit from behind into the boards, wouldn't he need to be facing the boards?
No? Did Hjalmarsson come directly in 90 degree angle towards the board?

Quote:
If he was hit from behind but not into the boards, why isn't he flat on the ice facefirst?
Why should he be? The hit didn't hit between the numbers, mainly the #9 so that happens. You're just being an idiot.

Quote:
If he was hit from behind, why is Hjalmarsson in front of him?
He isn't. Thats why.

Quote:
If he was hit from behind, why was the penalty for boarding?
Refs are refs and are bound to make mistakes here and there.

edit: Anyways, off to the correct topic and will stop raiding this board.

Old
10-13-2010, 05:54 AM
Rahsan
****ING RIGHT!!!!

What's the debate? He got suspended for his hit. The Hawks now have only 2 good D man. The Sabres will get there chance for revenge this Saturday.

I hope Hammer plays even more physical after this stuff.

Rahsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:13 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

delete this

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Blackwater13*

Quote:

2 games is about right, any more would have been bit too much. Same goes for anything less.
Sir Isaac Newton and his second law of motion says hello! If he'd been hit from behind he would have flown forward towards the ice not into the boards. He was hit from the side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion

Blackwater13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Jagemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1378 View Post
Sir Isaac Newton and his second law of motion says hello! If he'd been hit from behind he would have flown forward towards the ice not into the boards. He was hit from the side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_laws_of_motion
Oh, Second Law of Physics says hi! Well thats completely different story then.

Too bad it has nothing to do with the hit if you say that the hit came directly from behind. It didn't come directly to the back but closer than the side. Hence the result of Pominville turning towards the glass.

Old
10-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Oh, Second Law of Physics says hi! Well thats completely different story then.

Too bad it has nothing to do with the hit if you say that the hit came directly from behind. It didn't come directly to the back but closer than the side. Hence the result of Pominville turning towards the glass.

For the love of god. The entire lower half of Hammer's body is in front of him. How can people be so bloody obtuse??

The officials did not call it a hit from behind. None of the players in that game has called it a hit from behind. And why is that? Oh yeah, because it was not a hit from behind and that is not the issue here.

The call is boarding. The injury was due to Pom violently contacting the boards after the hit which is the exact definition of boarding.

People who are dense enough to argue that this is a hit from behind should lose their right to vote and operate motorized vehicles.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 07:29 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Why are you still talking about if it was a hit from behind or not. He was called for boarding and he got his suspension. Deal with it.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:16 AM
SabresHockey66

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
Why are you still talking about if it was a hit from behind or not. He was called for boarding and he got his suspension. Deal with it.
Honestly, this.

It was not a hit from behind. Any Sabres fan calling it that or calling for a longer suspension is simply being a homer. Was there contact with his back, yes. Was it totally from behind, no. It was a play that changed when Pominville turned to receive the puck. Was it a nasty hit, sure. Was it dirty or malicious, no way. **** just happens sometimes. I think if the NHL wasn't so jazzed up about hits resulting in concussion injuries, Hjalmarsson (sorry about the spelling if it is wrong Hawks fans) might not have gotten a suspension at all. I figured he would get two games, three if the league wanted to avoid the possible ensuing insanity from both teams on Saturday. I wouldn't have been upset if he didn't get a suspension at all. I am a hockey fan AND a Sabres fan. When someone does something stupid, no matter which team I call it like I see it. The boarding call was the right one to make, the game misconduct was up to the refs, they were within their right to call it based on the rule book, and the suspension is typical.

Sucks to see anyone get hurt, especially a Sabre, but this is hockey, not figure skating.

SabresHockey66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresHockey66 View Post
Honestly, this.

It was not a hit from behind. Any Sabres fan calling it that or calling for a longer suspension is simply being a homer. Was there contact with his back, yes. Was it totally from behind, no. It was a play that changed when Pominville turned to receive the puck. Was it a nasty hit, sure. Was it dirty or malicious, no way. **** just happens sometimes. I think if the NHL wasn't so jazzed up about hits resulting in concussion injuries, Hjalmarsson (sorry about the spelling if it is wrong Hawks fans) might not have gotten a suspension at all. I figured he would get two games, three if the league wanted to avoid the possible ensuing insanity from both teams on Saturday. I wouldn't have been upset if he didn't get a suspension at all. I am a hockey fan AND a Sabres fan. When someone does something stupid, no matter which team I call it like I see it. The boarding call was the right one to make, the game misconduct was up to the refs, they were within their right to call it based on the rule book, and the suspension is typical.

Sucks to see anyone get hurt, especially a Sabre, but this is hockey, not figure skating.

An intelligent, thoughtful post and right on the money.

Boarding was the right call to make and the misconduct is a smart call as well to remove any possibility of retaliation on Hjalmarsson after the 5 minutes were served.

The supplemental discipline is typical of the NEW NHL where suspensions get handed out based on public perception and not on the reality of the situation.

It is really unfortunate that hockey is becoming a game where we have the inmates running the asylum. Anyone who has actually played competitive hockey is calling the hit standard while all of the arm chair hero's are calling for 10 games.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Sarava

I'm stunned that this hit got the same suspension as Ovechkin's dirty hit on Brian Campbell. I mean...wow.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:50 PM
SabresHockey66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I'm stunned that this hit got the same suspension as Ovechkin's dirty hit on Brian Campbell. I mean...wow.
I agree, though I am not stunned at the two game suspension to Hjalmarsson, just that the suspension times are the same. I believe Ovechkin should have gotten more than a two game suspension. There is some merit to the thought that if you are suspended for a play that injures someone, you should be out as long as they are. Though if that went into effect, they would need to be much more selective of which incidents would fall under that rule. The Hjalmarsson/Pominville incident would definately not warrent such action. But something like the Ovechkin/Campbell one might, especially because Ovechkin is a repeat offender.

Old
10-13-2010, 02:02 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
I agree, though I am not stunned at the two game suspension to Hjalmarsson, just that the suspension times are the same. I believe Ovechkin should have gotten more than a two game suspension. There is some merit to the thought that if you are suspended for a play that injures someone, you should be out as long as they are. Though if that went into effect, they would need to be much more selective of which incidents would fall under that rule. The Hjalmarsson/Pominville incident would definately not warrent such action. But something like the Ovechkin/Campbell one might, especially because Ovechkin is a repeat offender.
Wouldn't happen though because Ovechkin makes the league too much money. This is why stuff like this will continue. Sabres will be looking for Hjalmarsson's head and Hawks have something for OV next time they play...if they can catch him.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:

This is great in theory but you could never do it.

Picture this:

Ovechkin hits John Scott or Stalberg with a hit similar to Hjalmarsson's in the first period of game 1 in the SCF. Chicago's team Dr. diagnosis a concussion which is more of an opinion than a fact. The Chicago player misses games 2 - 7.

So does Ovechkin.

That type of system is far too exploitable and in todays game teams will exploit every single loophole that is not airtight.

Old
10-13-2010, 02:53 PM
SabresHockey66

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Wouldn't happen though because Ovechkin makes the league too much money. This is why stuff like this will continue. Sabres will be looking for Hjalmarsson's head and Hawks have something for OV next time they play...if they can catch him.
You are right and it is sad. The league protects its poster boys, no matter the cost to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
This is great in theory but you could never do it.

Picture this:

Ovechkin hits John Scott or Stalberg with a hit similar to Hjalmarsson's in the first period of game 1 in the SCF. Chicago's team Dr. diagnosis a concussion which is more of an opinion than a fact. The Chicago player misses games 2 - 7.

So does Ovechkin.

That type of system is far too exploitable and in todays game teams will exploit every single loophole that is not airtight.
Excellent point. I guess I was thinking about it in a perfect world where the NHL would handle situations properly and teams played for love of the game and good competition....-sigh-

Old
10-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Hawksfan12*

Hammer Got 2 Games for Hitting a Player "TOO HARD" that was in a vunerable Position

http://blogs.suntimes.com/blackhawks...lks_about.html

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

this is a joke... 2 games cause he is a Beast

Last edited by Bubba88: 10-13-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
this is a joke... 2 games cause he is a Beast

My new Avy

Thanks

Old
10-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I think the suspension stems from the boarding penalty that was given. The fact that he got a suspension was because he hit him too hard and in a vulnerable position and as a result, Pominville was violently thrown into the boards. I can understand a game suspension because it was a borderline dirty hit... but the intent to injure wasn't there, he attempted to play the puck and the hit was borderline from behind but was mostly hip to hip. Both players are at fault here.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Hawkster58

Quote:
Originally Posted by shartmcgart View Post
I think the suspension stems from the boarding penalty that was given. The fact that he got a suspension was because he hit him too hard and in a vulnerable position and as a result, Pominville was violently thrown into the boards. I can understand a game suspension because it was a borderline dirty hit... but the intent to injure wasn't there, he attempted to play the puck and the hit was borderline from behind but was mostly hip to hip. Both players are at fault here.
This

I was at the game, things happen so fast, Pommer was vulnerable and it just turned into an unfortunate situation. Hope Pommer comes back soon, never like to see any one hurt...

Kaleta is already starting with the retribution stuff, Miller trying to downplay it...

Things could get interesting come Saturday night in Hammer's first game back.

Interesting read I thought you guys might like.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=337311

Hawkster58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 08:18 PM
JUICEY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
My new Avy

Thanks
Looks like we both rockin some Hammer Time avys

JUICEY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkster58 View Post
This

I was at the game, things happen so fast, Pommer was vulnerable and it just turned into an unfortunate situation. Hope Pommer comes back soon, never like to see any one hurt...

Kaleta is already starting with the retribution stuff, Miller trying to downplay it...

Things could get interesting come Saturday night in Hammer's first game back.

Interesting read I thought you guys might like.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=337311
Same. Hard to tell live what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICEY View Post
Looks like we both rockin some Hammer Time avys