HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds saw Weber's captaincy as forgone conclusion...

Old
10-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds saw Weber's captaincy as forgone conclusion...

Interesting quote in here that's previously been unreported...

Quote:
During the offseason, at their annual "Skate of the Union" event in July, the Predators formally announced the 25-year-old Weber, a Canadian Olympian and one of the game's best at his position, as their captain following the trade of former captain Jason Arnott to New Jersey.

However, coach Barry Trotz said on Friday that the message already had been delivered to Arnott that he would no longer be the captain, even if he had remained.

"We were changing the captain regardless and [Arnott] could support Shea or not -- that type of thing," Trotz said. "Then [general manager David Poile] found a deal that made sense for Jason and so we made a deal and we got Matt Halischuk, who we always liked. And then we were able to go out and change the dynamics of our team by bringing in Matt Lombardi. So we went from a big, skilled centerman to sort of a quick, skilled centerman, which is OK.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=rss-manasso

Thoughts?

Last edited by Seth Lake: 10-11-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Forgot the link!
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 01:51 PM
kivaerijo

arnotts ego couldnt handle the demotion? or did he not agree with the choice? who knows. im ok with how things worked out.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:29 PM
hockey_socks

Well, I didn't expect that twist to the story. I mean, I wasn't Arnott's biggest fan by a long shot and was ready for the C to move on, but I wouldn't have figured Trotzy would be willing to pull it, particularly from a veteran. Can't help but figure that Shea's part in the Gold and Suter's in the Silver sealed the deal. I mean, with the team shifting more to follow them. Had to be a real boost to the pair's confidence and strength of character (which was already pretty good anyway), which translated like anyone would hope -- to stronger leadership.

hockey_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:38 PM
predfan24

Sounds like to me Trotz is confirming, in a very non direct nice way, what we have been saying for awhile. That Arnott was a ****** captain. My guess is his ego was hurt when Trotz was straight up with him and he wanted a trade. To be fair to Arnott he didn't come out in the media and make the thing a big deal like he could have so i respect that.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Interesting. This, along with some other moves made this off-season, shows me that Poile is willing to steer away from his usual "stand pat" label and take more risks to improve the team. Playing it safe won't advance us past the 1st round. I'm liking the new Poile.

I must say though, we got pretty lucky with Arnott willing to waive his clause. Could you imagine a concussed, ego-driven guy who just had his captaincy stripped moping around the ice for $4.5M?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 02:54 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Interesting. This, along with some other moves made this off-season, shows me that Poile is willing to steer away from his usual "stand pat" label and take more risks to improve the team. Playing it safe won't advance us past the 1st round. I'm liking the new Poile.

I must say though, we got pretty lucky with Arnott willing to waive his clause. Could you imagine a concussed, ego-driven guy who just had his captaincy stripped moping around the ice for $4.5M?
Very good points, with the signings of one-way deals for players not locks to make the team, the untapped potential with clouded maturity problems in SK and SOB, stripping Arnott of the captaincy, this speaks volumes about a higher risk threshold that seems to be developing, and very likely with the blessing of ownership who themselves have been busy and may be feeling that they're on stronger financial footing. Where's Bret Wilson?! :-)

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:02 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

I think we have entered one of those 'windows of opportunity' as a franchise. They need to get Weber and Suter locked back up. But we have a good core, and Arnott did not fit into it. Poile is just making the moves required to solidify that core. You don't gamble when your hand is full of 2s and 3s, to use card terminology. Now the deck is starting to get stacked more in his favor, we may see more of the gambler side of DP...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 06:35 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

These are probably the types of moves we would have seen a couple of seasons ago. The sale and subsequent roster depletion took away a lot of Poile could have done. Time will tell if the events in the summer of 2007 turned into a blessing.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 07:32 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
These are probably the types of moves we would have seen a couple of seasons ago. The sale and subsequent roster depletion took away a lot of Poile could have done. Time will tell if the events in the summer of 2007 turned into a blessing.
From an on-ice standpoint, I don't think those events will ever be a blessing, but I do think they will turn out to be an irrelevant bump-in-the-road. At most, they cost us the potential to win a playoff series the next year. Off-ice, I think we're already seeing the benefits of both a locally owned team and an ownership group that actually knows something about running a business.

But agree with the assessment of Poile's moves - continuing to shrewdly manage the budget and now taking a few more calculated chances around the core of the team. Compared to last year we have considerably more upside, have a contingency in place if any of those "risks" blow up that should leave us no worse than where we were last year, and really only have the question of replacing Arnott's scoring, which was not that of a 30 goal guy, but a 20 goal guy.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:19 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
certainly makes the Arnott trade even easier to understand.

good on Trotz for having the gumption to do it. Good on Arnott for not whining to the press and ruining a chance for a trade. good on Poile for getting significant value for Arnott.

now lets get that 8-10 year extension for Weber signed and kick it into high gear

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
certainly makes the Arnott trade even easier to understand.

good on Trotz for having the gumption to do it. Good on Arnott for not whining to the press and ruining a chance for a trade. good on Poile for getting significant value for Arnott.

now lets get that 8-10 year extension for Weber signed and kick it into high gear
150-175 year.....

Im so glad to see Webs in control. I trust him to lead this team well, while I didnt trust Arny further than I could throw him (and hes a big dude)

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2010, 08:37 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I was aware of the captaincy being stripped around the time it happened, and I also know that while Arnott had the decency not to say anything publically, behind the scenes he didn't take it well.

Good riddance.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote