HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2010, 09:15 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
I hope to see Bobby Gould and Todd Krygier. For Pepe of course.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 12-10-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: ooops
Old
12-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Which team is Jagr going to play for?
I do not indulge in the silliness of "FYP". However, were I to echo your post, I'd do something like:

Quote:
Which team is Jagr going to play for when he feels like it?
I realize this is a bit trite and certainly served with a side of bitter. It's probable that I'm somewhat okay with that.

Old
12-10-2010, 10:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
bring back witter? y not? you can never have enough questionable tat2s and chronic nagging injuries in the locker room.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...205/index.html
Quote of the day for me...good stuff!

Old
12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Langway
Intangibles

CraigCustance: Spoke w/someone at HBO who said Boudreau has a speech in 24/7 that "if it remains the way we have it right now, Rex Ryan would be proud."

Seems apt enough:

Old
12-13-2010, 02:19 PM
sk84fun_dc

And Andrew Gordon recently tweeted:
"The only thing i didnt want for my birthday...i got. A one way ticket to Hershey. Damn!"

No surprise given the game last night and I believe today is a day off for the Caps; next game at home on Wed.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:22 PM
txpd

schedule and circumstances have wrecked 24/7 for me. premiere is right after the game vs the ducks. caps win the game and i am not going to want to see all the mamby pamby land of the losing streak. if they lose, i will have had my fill of that bunch for the night. next?

Old
12-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Friedman:
Quote:
12) That Washington loss in New York (7-0 Rangers) was so bad, I thought Mike Shanahan was coaching.

13) The concern I have for the Capitals is this: Of all the really good teams in the NHL, they are the most fragile. Bruce Boudreau is tough on his goalies, but everyone else gets a lot of freedom and encouragement. Despite that, there's a kind of "Woe is me attitude" when things go bad.

14) You also have to wonder if the players truly believe in any of those goalies. It's similar to Jimmy Howard in Detroit. He played well last year, but really won everyone over with the Game 7 win in Phoenix. It finished 6-1, but was scoreless into the second. He made a couple of big saves on the road before the Wings busted through Ilya Bryzgalov. [Semyon] Varlamov has a similar victory, but it seems like eons ago.
Also some relevant insights in thoughts 6 & 7.

Old
12-13-2010, 03:19 PM
sk84fun_dc

Thanks - 30 thoughts - one of those things to look forward to on an otherwise dreary Monday.

TXPD - While many seem to be dreading the HBO special, I'm dreading the upcoming schedule, including back to backs on the road next weekend and the game on 12/23; who knows maybe the back to backs on the road after a week with time to get some guys healthy and some practices in will be a positive.

The next 8 games:

Wed Dec 15, 2010 Anaheim at Washington
Sat Dec 18, 2010 Washington at Boston
Sun Dec 19, 2010 Washington at Ottawa
Tue Dec 21, 2010 New Jersey at Washington
Thu Dec 23, 2010 Pittsburgh at Washington
Sun Dec 26, 2010 Washington at Carolina
Tue Dec 28, 2010 Montreal at Washington
Sat Jan 1, 2011 Winter Classic Washington at Pittsburgh

oh and then the next 4, the first 4 games after the Winter Classic - 2 against TBL, 2 against FLA

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 12-13-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old
12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
sk84fun_dc

Cox chimes in with another Crosby/Ovechkin piece, I debated posting, not sure I want the guy getting the hits, but here it is, click through at your own risk. link

Oh and I expected to see TXPD post about Englbom's commentary on NHL Network tonight...more Ovechkin/Crosby; I am not usually one to get annoyed by this stuff, but Engblom's comments were silly, IMO; I'm paraphrasing but he said something like Ovechkin had to have Crosby's fight from November and the success after the fight in mind when he was deciding to look for something during the game. Anyone else hear what he said?

Old
12-13-2010, 11:10 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Oh and I expected to see TXPD post about Englbom's commentary on NHL Network tonight...more Ovechkin/Crosby; I am not usually one to get annoyed by this stuff, but Engblom's comments were silly, IMO; I'm paraphrasing but he said something like Ovechkin had to have Crosby's fight from November and the success after the fight in mind when he was deciding to look for something during the game. Anyone else hear what he said?
i was actually stewing about that "analysis" for a bit until i remembered to put my US hockey media filter back on. it's sort of ridiculous, especially coming from someone who has played the sport, to say that ovechkin was thinking about what a player on another team did a month ago and its statistical repercussions instead of reacting to the events on the ice.

Old
12-13-2010, 11:10 PM
txpd

monday night. Closer. Then Hawaii Five O and the reintroduction of Woh Fat. Its the good in life. Missed Engblom. I never expect to hear a positive comment from the media when 8 and 87 are compared. Caps have to win something or at least beat the Pens in the playoffs before that changes.

that upcoming schedule may be just what the doctor ordered. Boston and Pittsburgh. Caps want to beat them for lunch money. The best chance to see their best game is when those guys are the night's offering.

Old
12-14-2010, 01:16 AM
LadyIce

I'm really curious how this HBO show is going to be edited. I've had the cameras parked in my end for the last several games (I'm in 118) and most of the time they're shooting the ice, but the last 2 games they've gotten crowd shots. Against Florida they shot the crowd during Unleash the Fury and right after got a show of the crowd leaving with 5:22 left in the game.

Saturday night it was more of the same with shots of the ice followed by another crowd shot for Unleash and more people leaving early.

I'm guessing to keep it current, the most recent footage will be the focus.

The losing games thing wouldn't be nearly as bad, for me anyway, if it weren't for the fact the other team is doing now wrong right now and all of it will be on HBO. Feeding into the Caps are bad and the Pens are good. This is my new Redskins/Cowboys thing.

Old
12-14-2010, 02:54 AM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I was a bit torn over Witt because it appeared he didnt want to be here when drafted. Torn because he was the kind of player I liked, that tough stay at homer that flat out used to be a mandatory part of every team. I dont see him doing well in the current skate happy NHL.

I still like the famed Witt vs SUV bout.
I doubt he'd even want to come back to the NHL now since he and Sal have been traveling the world and own an equine & primates farm in Florida. www.salbrenfarmsandsanctuary.com

Old
12-14-2010, 08:00 AM
txpd

except in the interview he said he wanted to play and his agent is making the rounds for him.

Old
12-14-2010, 10:57 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Gordon out one to two weeks.

Balsa wood.

Old
12-14-2010, 11:19 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
For as fragile as Boyd is, he certainly never shy's away from getting dirty. Board work, high traffic areas, or my favorite, taking a HUGE hit to make the pass. Damn shame no one ever finishes those for him.

Old
12-14-2010, 11:31 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
i was actually stewing about that "analysis" for a bit until i remembered to put my US hockey media filter back on. it's sort of ridiculous, especially coming from someone who has played the sport, to say that ovechkin was thinking about what a player on another team did a month ago and its statistical repercussions instead of reacting to the events on the ice.
Yes, typical analysis, but in this case I don't think it was because it was US hockey media, I can see the same happening with Canadian media. Not the first time, won't be the last time, but annoying because in this instance relating it to Crosby and the Pens was unnecessary.

Old
12-14-2010, 11:33 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Gordon out one to two weeks.

Balsa wood.
Bah, not happy. Sure sounds like he'll end up on IR with that estimate and the upcoming game schedule

Curious if this means we see Beagle recalled, instead of or in addition to Andrew Gordon.

Old
12-14-2010, 11:46 AM
sk84fun_dc

McKenzie tweets/chimes in about Nabokov and the Caps:

"My take is that WAS has no interest in Nabokov and is fully committed, at this point, to go with the kids (Varlamov and Neuvirth)."

Old
12-14-2010, 11:57 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
Ugh, the tiny bit of respect I had for Witt disappeared when I clicked on that link. Tasmanian Devil? Ying Yang? wth?
What little respect I had for Witt disappeared the moment he showed up on my in-laws door step, shirtless, holding a hockey stick, and threatened to beat the crap out of my 60+ year old father-in-law with it. The guy is a first class turd and I hope he remains in whatever sewer he calls home these days.

Old
12-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Cox chimes in with another Crosby/Ovechkin piece, I debated posting, not sure I want the guy getting the hits, but here it is, click through at your own risk. link
I don't really have a problem with much of what Cox wrote. I mean bringing up the Lou Marsh Award and acting like it is another element of success that Ovechkin has failed to achieve is a bit much and acting like Ovechkin didn't show up in the playoffs last year and 'only' scored 5 goals is way much but as far as your typical xenophobic Canadian hockey articles go it isn't too bad.

The fact is Crosby and the Pens are playing great and Ovechkin and the Caps are playing terribly and Canadian writers/pundits know where their bread is buttered.

Last edited by Millhaus: 12-14-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old
12-14-2010, 12:31 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
What little respect I had for Witt disappeared the moment he showed up on my in-laws door step, shirtless, holding a hockey stick, and threatened to beat the crap out of my 60+ year old father-in-law with it. The guy is a first class turd and I hope he remains in whatever sewer he calls home these days.
and here was me disliking him for beig a lousy defenseman with an annoying superiority complex. point to you.

Old
12-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I don't really have a problem with much of what Cox wrote. I mean bringing up the Lou Marsh Award and acting like it is another element of success that Ovechkin has failed to achieve is a bit much and acting like Ovechkin didn't show up in the playoffs last year and 'only' scored 5 goals is way much but as far as your typical xenophobic Canadian hockey articles go it isn't too bad.

The fact is Crosby and the Pens are playing great and Ovechkin and the Caps are playing terribly and Canadian writers/pundits know where their bread is buttered.
Yet on the flip side, when the Caps were winning fourteen of eighteen and the Penguins were struggling mightily, you'd think the commentary would have been reversed....but it wasn't.

Old
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Yet on the flip side, when the Caps were winning fourteen of eighteen and the Penguins were struggling mightily, you'd think the commentary would have been reversed....but it wasn't.
Yeah if you expected fairness but since Crosby is Canadian and Ovechkin is Russian you are not going to get fairness from the established hockey (read Canadian) media.

Old
12-14-2010, 01:19 PM
txpd

anyone notice that getting sloan out of the lineup coincides with the losing streak?
anyone notice that chimera is -10?
anyone notice john feinstein writing hockey in the WP and suggesting the caps need a goalie?
these all seem to be odd occurances.

Closed Thread