HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2010, 12:19 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
What little respect I had for Witt disappeared the moment he showed up on my in-laws door step, shirtless, holding a hockey stick, and threatened to beat the crap out of my 60+ year old father-in-law with it. The guy is a first class turd and I hope he remains in whatever sewer he calls home these days.
We need more information please.

Did the in-laws have the whopping cough and get caught in the cross fire?

Old
12-14-2010, 12:22 PM
LetsGoBears

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
The fact is Crosby and the Pens are playing great and Ovechkin and the Caps are playing terribly and Canadian writers/pundits know where their bread is buttered.
You mean carrying the Pens at this point. Although MAF finally deciding to show up did help some. Crosby is in on over 50% (barely) of the Pens' points at this time. He slows down a bit and lets see how hot they are.

Old
12-14-2010, 12:43 PM
hoopla

Hopefully, Pronger takes him out with a hard check tonite.

Old
12-14-2010, 12:51 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
I don't really have a problem with much of what Cox wrote. I mean bringing up the Lou Marsh Award and acting like it is another element of success that Ovechkin has failed to achieve is a bit much and acting like Ovechkin didn't show up in the playoffs last year and 'only' scored 5 goals is way much but as far as your typical xenophobic Canadian hockey articles go it isn't too bad.

The fact is Crosby and the Pens are playing great and Ovechkin and the Caps are playing terribly and Canadian writers/pundits know where their bread is buttered.
I think with Cox it's more about the cumulative article effect than this particular article, but you did point out one of the comments I thought was a bit much, the 5 goals; also, I'm not a fan of Leonsis', but Cox's campaign is wearing thin, IMO.

Old
12-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I think with Cox it's more about the cumulative article effect than this particular article, but you did point out one of the comments I thought was a bit much, the 5 goals; also, I'm not a fan of Leonsis', but Cox's campaign is wearing thin, IMO.
Oh I understand but honestly what does everyone expect? Unless Ovechkin takes a decent size lead in both individual and team hardware over the course of his career the hockey/Canadian media is always going to play up what Crosby has over Ovechkin. Ovechkin's failures and Crosby's successes will always be overplayed by that part of the media and we might as well all get used to it and stop letting it bother us.

I mean if you are a Fox News of MSNBC person does what the other side says surprise or bother you? Not really because you expect it. I expect the hockey/Canadian media to run down Ovechkin and prop up Crosby every chance they get so when it happens it doesn't really bother me.

Old
12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Oh I understand but honestly what does everyone expect? Unless Ovechkin takes a decent size lead in both individual and team hardware over the course of his career the hockey/Canadian media is always going to play up what Crosby has over Ovechkin. Ovechkin's failures and Crosby's successes will always be overplayed by that part of the media and we might as well all get used to it and stop letting it bother us.

I mean if you are a Fox News of MSNBC person does what the other side says surprise or bother you? Not really because you expect it. I expect the hockey/Canadian media to run down Ovechkin and prop up Crosby every chance they get so when it happens it doesn't really bother me.
I agree and I rarely post on the O/C stuff as I typically simply move on/expect it as you note. The Engblom comment last night annoyed me because there was no reason to bring up Crosby in that description of events, even more of a stretch than usual, IMO, and then a little while later I read the Cox article so it was a cumulative effect.

Old
12-14-2010, 01:16 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

According to Corey's tweets Laich is ranting like crazy...

Now that's nice and all Brooks but let's see that translate to the ice.

Old
12-14-2010, 01:34 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

The captain we never had.

Rumor has it someone asked him about his walk out front stuff attempts

Old
12-14-2010, 02:10 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Yes, typical analysis, but in this case I don't think it was because it was US hockey media, I can see the same happening with Canadian media. Not the first time, won't be the last time, but annoying because in this instance relating it to Crosby and the Pens was unnecessary.
i just mean it's the only tune you hear from the Versus and NBC crew, while i'd be shocked to see something like that in friedman or lebrun. the pens and caps haven't played in each other in 8 months, but they still have to stretch to feed that false dichotomy?

Old
12-14-2010, 02:12 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Karl Alzner is going to be on 106.7 The Fan with Chad Dukes and LaVar Arrington at 5pm EST about 2 hours from now.

Listen ~Live here

1.800.636.1067 is the phone number to call into the show.

Old
12-14-2010, 02:16 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The captain we never had.

Rumor has it someone asked him about his walk out front stuff attempts
i don't blame him, i lose my $#17 when i think about him trying that stupid move. 0/8 this season, by my count. Fehr Bear pulled it off against martin brodeur's awful incarnation in october once and it hasn't worked for either of them since.

Old
12-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Langway
Intangibles

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcs...ect_profa.html
Quote:
I was told to prepare [for] an F bomb counter, and also that Caps Coach Bruce Boudreau would "make Rex Ryan blush."...

"I would say this show has more vulgarity than that show," Harmon said. "And I'm not just saying that to get you to watch. I'm saying it because there's a reason. The reason is that this is the regular season. This isn't preseason. And what the Capitals, in particular, are going through, and what Boudreau is like, have all merged to be a show that the nighttime version, you're gonna have to hide the kids."

Last edited by Langway: 12-14-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old
12-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Roccoman

finally got around to watching Rex Ryan - i really want a snack now.

Old
12-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Jedgi

Jeff Schultz and Skin's Andre Carter are BFFs

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthre...d-Jeff-Schultz

"The D.C. sports scene is a tight-knit community, so it’s not uncommon to see star athletes such as Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley and Washington Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin hanging out during their free time.

The same holds true for other athletes such as Capitals defenseman Mike Green and Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman, and Redskins return man Brandon Banks and Wizards point guard John Wall. But the award for unlikeliest D.C. duo has to go to Redskins defensive end Andre Carter and Capitals defenseman Jeff Schultz.

Carter, who calls San Francisco, Calif. home, admittedly couldn’t stay upright on a pair of ice skates, and Schultz, who hails from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, has never played a down of football in his life. Yet, the two have become fast friends this year. They regularly attend each other’s games, and Carter, and his wife Bethany, and Schultz, with his girlfriend MacKenzie Keeley, hang out whenever possible.

The couples do lunch once a week and enjoy going out to dinner whenever possible. Their get-togethers have even included teammates such as Redskins defensive lineman Phillip Daniels and Caps defenseman John Erskine.

“It’s been a lot of fun,” Carter said. “It’s good to mix the two worlds together because, at the end of the day, we’re all normal people. We might do different sports for a living, but there’s a lot we have in common. And honestly, I’m digging the Canadians. They know how to have a good time and can definitely be hardcore drinkers.

“Okay, not so much Jeff, but John Erskine and his girl – they can throw down some drinks,” he said laughing.

And to think, this budding “bromance” likely never would have happened if not for a chance encounter during a charity event.

“We met at the March of Dimes fashion show,” said Bethany. “We were changing in the same changing room, and we were being girls. We got to talking a little bit…”

“And Jeff had mentioned to me that morning how he wanted to go to the Redskins-Cowboys game,” said MacKenzie. “He really wanted to go see that game and we didn’t even know how to get tickets or anything. I didn’t even say anything and Bethany pulls out a stack of tickets from her purse and invited us to come to the game.”

Since then, the four have been inseparable.

“Jeff reminds me a lot of myself when I was that age,” Carter said. “When I was younger, I was really quiet. Of course, I met my wife and she helped get me out of my shell. Jeff is kind of the same. He’s really low-key and humble, but he works hard. I’m anticipating down the road we’ll get him more and more to come out of his shell. That’s my goal – to get him to be a little more outgoing. He doesn’t know it yet, but that’s my mission.”

Prior to his friendship with Schultz, Carter wasn’t exactly someone rushing home to catch hockey highlights on the NHL channel.

“I didn’t know nothing about hockey,” Carter admitted. “I think I went to one Sharks game back when I was a 49er, but that was it. When the Olympics came around this most recent time, I really started to get into it. Since then, my wife started going to games, and now with Jeff, we try to go to as many games as possible.”

While it took Carter 30 or so years to truly appreciate hockey, his 3-year-old son Quincy fell in love with the sport almost instantly. In fact, he already owns multiple hockey sweaters and one of Jeff’s sticks.

“Andre’s been really good about letting us know if they have a couple extra tickets and we try to return the favor,” Schultz said. “I know their son Quincy is a really big hockey fan. When Andre asks him which sport he likes better, he says hockey.”

Schultz isn’t kidding. The Carters are pretty sure at this point that they know what Quincy wants to be when he grows up.

“My son is obsessed with hockey,” Bethany said. “You’d think being a football kid, he’d be in love with football, but he’s totally obsessed with hockey. So the moment he met Jeff and got to go to the locker room, that was it. He still talks about it at school to his friends and tells us to call Jeff. He even tries to sing the American and Canadian anthems. He’s completely hooked.”

With Carter and Schultz regularly swapping tickets to each other’s games this season, they’ve both gained a new-found appreciation of the other sport."

Old
12-14-2010, 03:39 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
We need more information please.

Did the in-laws have the whopping cough and get caught in the cross fire?
I will attempt to give the short version to avoid rambling on and on, and not getting all fired up rehashing things in the process:

My in-laws live on a street where everyone knows everyone else and they all get together over the summer and have cook outs and the like. A very nice little community where we all would love to live and raise our kids. My father-in-law is one of those guys that always says hi when he sees someone go by or offers to help carry in groceries, an overall nice guy.

Witt moves in and never makes an effort to get to know his neighbors, and when he drives by (at the time in his black escalade with blacked out windows) he never waves. His wife on the other hand was/is a lovely woman who always said hi and talked with people when she was out on the street with her kid(s).

Now my in-laws next door neighbors are Witt's age, and based on their appearance, apparently had the same interest in music, tattoos, and life to Witt and his wife. These neighbors would always brag to my father-in-law how Witt took them on vacation with them and always took them to concerts and such. No big deal. Well one time one of the neighbors tells my father-in-law about another trip they went on with the Witt's and when my father-in-law sees Mrs. Witt out with her kids he asks her about this trip and carries on small talk. Typical small talk he does with all his neighbors. Well later on that day big bad Brandon Witt shows up on my in-laws doorstep shirtless and holding a hockey stick. He explained to my father-in-law that who he takes on vacation, and where he goes on vacation, is none of his buisness and if he sticks his nose in Witt's buisness again he'll break it with this hockey stick.

Now my father-in-law at that time didn't know who Brandon Witt was, and when I told him he was a professional hockey player his response to me was "For what team? The Skipjacks?". He is no hockey fan and figured Witt, based on his appearance and flashy cars, was in a rock band. Regardless, my father-in-law didn't give a **** who Witt was, he was just carrying on small talk with the guy's wife and meant no harm.

So, IMO, Brandon Witt is a **** piece of **** and I wish I was there when he showed up at my in-laws house. I don't profess to be good at fighting, but I would of told that turd where to stick that hockey stick, and I would of gotten in a couple good licks before Witt turned my lights out.

PS: I guess I failed in keeping this story short and sweet. Oh well.

Old
12-14-2010, 03:41 PM
init2winit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I don't know why, but I find this pretty funny. Probably because Bylsma has like a money jar for his coaches to keep them from swearing all the time. The differences between these teams right now have no bounds

Old
12-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Roccoman

some people are jealous about their privacy, and some people are just lame.

after reading that i think Witt is just lame.

Old
12-14-2010, 04:46 PM
txpd

Brandon Witt?

Old
12-14-2010, 05:12 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Brandon Witt?
Wasn't he in Beverly Hills 90210?

Old
12-14-2010, 05:15 PM
bonzaibondra12

So judging by this Ovechkin special on NHL Network, Russian guys don't like to wear shirts or pants.

Old
12-14-2010, 05:55 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Brandon Witt?
Ah I spelled the ****** bags name wrong. My bad.

Old
12-17-2010, 01:14 AM
artilector

A couple of "titbids" from a Varlamov interview:

"I didn't see the release when Getzlaf took the shot, but the puck went into the near corner. Therefore it's on the goalie. The near corner I have to cover always."

"There are always people [in the locker room] who can cheer a guy up, find the right words, get a guy's head back into the game. Sasha [Ovechkin] makes a speech before every game regardless of how the team is playing at the moment."

Old
12-17-2010, 07:27 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Thanks for posting that Art. I figured Varly should have had that. Most seem hesistant to say anything bad about him, and that's fine. Sure Getz got free in the corner, but he was at a bad angle, and Varly really had no one else to cover.

Our goaltending has largely failed us during this streak. Its seems people look at OUR shot totals and posts to grade if should have won or not. Our offense output decides the game. I disagree. I dont care how we are constructed, scoring is always but half the battle in hockey games.

Its a shame HBO refuses to show Ovi's pregame speech.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 12-17-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old
12-17-2010, 07:37 AM
txpd

Quote:
Its a shame HBO refuses to show Ovi's pregame speech.
its in russian

Old
12-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I will attempt to give the short version to avoid rambling on and on, and not getting all fired up rehashing things in the process:

My in-laws live on a street where everyone knows everyone else and they all get together over the summer and have cook outs and the like. A very nice little community where we all would love to live and raise our kids. My father-in-law is one of those guys that always says hi when he sees someone go by or offers to help carry in groceries, an overall nice guy.

Witt moves in and never makes an effort to get to know his neighbors, and when he drives by (at the time in his black escalade with blacked out windows) he never waves. His wife on the other hand was/is a lovely woman who always said hi and talked with people when she was out on the street with her kid(s).

Now my in-laws next door neighbors are Witt's age, and based on their appearance, apparently had the same interest in music, tattoos, and life to Witt and his wife. These neighbors would always brag to my father-in-law how Witt took them on vacation with them and always took them to concerts and such. No big deal. Well one time one of the neighbors tells my father-in-law about another trip they went on with the Witt's and when my father-in-law sees Mrs. Witt out with her kids he asks her about this trip and carries on small talk. Typical small talk he does with all his neighbors. Well later on that day big bad Brandon Witt shows up on my in-laws doorstep shirtless and holding a hockey stick. He explained to my father-in-law that who he takes on vacation, and where he goes on vacation, is none of his buisness and if he sticks his nose in Witt's buisness again he'll break it with this hockey stick.

Now my father-in-law at that time didn't know who Brandon Witt was, and when I told him he was a professional hockey player his response to me was "For what team? The Skipjacks?". He is no hockey fan and figured Witt, based on his appearance and flashy cars, was in a rock band. Regardless, my father-in-law didn't give a **** who Witt was, he was just carrying on small talk with the guy's wife and meant no harm.

So, IMO, Brandon Witt is a **** piece of **** and I wish I was there when he showed up at my in-laws house. I don't profess to be good at fighting, but I would of told that turd where to stick that hockey stick, and I would of gotten in a couple good licks before Witt turned my lights out.

PS: I guess I failed in keeping this story short and sweet. Oh well.
Damn, didn’t know Witter was such a *******.

Closed Thread