HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2010, 05:08 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
katie posted an interesting note in insider, "Schultz has yet to be on the ice for a goal against this season."

what is there about this guy that we just don't get?

Old
10-17-2010, 05:36 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
you dont see him make many great plays that prevent goals. He is doing it without notice.

Back in the day before electricity, watching Langway Engbloom and Stevens prevent goals, it was obvious as hell. One play at a time. They would take out forwards physically block shots sliding breaking up two on 1's; we all saw it. Those guys would be pounded on the forecheck and not give up the puck. Now there is no such forecheck. They could play it rough or play it clean. Its flat out harder to see the modern day D doing well so you dig for stats and go with them.

The new NHL that generally shuns hitting and physical play, its not as easy to see. Which all fits perfectly into Sarge's game. The new NHL is perfect for him.

Old
10-17-2010, 06:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The new NHL that generally shuns hitting and physical play, its not as easy to see.
lol...i know. missing the old days when crosschecking and slashing were in the book but more legal than not?

Old
10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
LetsGoBears

Well that is an interesting fact TXPD, but my response is how the **** does he do it?

Old
10-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
katie posted an interesting note in insider, "Schultz has yet to be on the ice for a goal against this season."

what is there about this guy that we just don't get?
I noticed that a couple days ago. He's just a sound positional guy who uses his size for positional leverage more than anything else. He's in the right place at the right time, and really doesn't have to make a play to make the make life difficult for the offense.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Funkyalligator

I think it also has to do with Schultz's long arms...he can pin the guys to the boards with them...if only he had better foot work I think a lot of us on here would be happier. I will note that he has played a bit more physical this year.

The NHL is physical violent sport...people just don't seem to get it and I really question those that rant and rave about hits and stuff like that....I mean seriously...why else would you watch hockey...hitting is an integral part of it.

Old
10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
lol...i know. missing the old days when crosschecking and slashing were in the book but more legal than not?
i definitely miss the physical aspects of the game. Most nights now its like watching the Ice Capades. Almost no hitting a scripted fight maybe, no scrums. Most nights, it was Ovi bringing the only physical play for the entire team.

But Sarge's superior regular season stats mean nothing to me. Despite 250+ solid NHL games i have yet to see a single one in the playoffs. He looks scared shakey and slow. No superior stats to be found. The playoffs, where the speed and hitting are ramped up, are where he must prove himself to me.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
But Sarge's superior regular season stats mean nothing to me. Despite 250+ solid NHL games i have yet to see a single one in the playoffs. He looks scared shakey and slow. No superior stats to be found. The playoffs, where the speed and hitting are ramped up, are where he must prove himself to me.
Well last year's playoffs was really his first playoff series as he had only played in 3 game combined over the previous 3 series for whatever reasons.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
txpd

Quote:
i definitely miss the physical aspects of the game. Most nights now its like watching the Ice Capades. Almost no hitting a scripted fight maybe, no scrums. Most nights, it was Ovi bringing the only physical play for the entire team. .
i take it that hockey by the rules doesnt interest you a whole lot. you need fighting and pseudo fighting to enjoy the game. you need a good elbow. you must have loved richards hit on booth last season.

would you honestly like to see more guys in the hospital?

Old
10-18-2010, 11:17 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
I think it also has to do with Schultz's long arms...he can pin the guys to the boards with them...if only he had better foot work I think a lot of us on here would be happier. I will note that he has played a bit more physical this year.

The NHL is physical violent sport...people just don't seem to get it and I really question those that rant and rave about hits and stuff like that....I mean seriously...why else would you watch hockey...hitting is an integral part of it.
i thinks its two things with schultz. he forces people to work around him and that is very difficult. he also doesnt give the puck away and create chances for the opposition. hockey is a game of mistakes. he is pretty mistake free.

hitting is integral. you are correct, sir. a crosscheck to the head isnt. punching a guy in the face after the whistle in proximity to the net is not. for me ovechkin is the prototype. he hits like a dump truck. occasionally his hits go wrong. he hits from behind or makes knee to knee contact. but his elbows are down. his stick is down. he doesnt slash. he doesnt crosscheck. he doesnt punch guys.

Old
10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

deleted delete

Last edited by RandyHolt: 10-18-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old
10-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
Definitely agree with his reach being a big factor. It makes it a lot more difficult to get around him, and gives him a massive range to poke check and use his stick to interfere (or minimally, show the opposing player that he can, so they don't try and force the puck there).

Old
10-18-2010, 11:54 AM
txpd

Quote:
Yeah man. Totally. Death and destruction. All the stars knocked out of the league forever.

You never give up. When did I ever say I like dirty play? You are a persistent little bugger arent you, taking on anyone and anyone that is willing to admit they enjoy watching all aspects of NHL hockey and trying to spin it into they only like violence. I bet your favorite scene from Slapshot was the ice capades scene, or the radio announcers counter to the toupee comment.

Its interesting how you take physical play of Langway and Stevens and parlay that into wanting to see guys in the hospital. What is your agenda? Are you lady byng?
i had a choice early on when i was a kid and the caps sucked. scottie bowman's habs or fred shero's flyers. i hated the flyers. loved the habs. i love physical hockey. i love watching ovechkin truck a guy. love green's hits.

but you said straight up that you miss the scrums. scrums are often specifically created by teams to stir the pot and intimidate AFTER the whistle. i watched sean o'donnell punch steve downie in the face three times to start a good after the whistle scrum. i dont need that to enjoy a hockey game and as a game plan tactic i dont like it. because i dont need that stuff, i am an ice capader.

i remember last season hearing those in the know talking about Lovy trying change the culture of the Flyers. he wanted tempo. he wanted play to stop at the whistle to create and build momentum. he didnt want his team pushing and shoving after the whistle and the Flyers had a hard time with that.

so...when you deem the caps roster super charmin soft and call the league the ice capades, i am going to push back. i never liked that on the power play the pk could beat a guy senseless if he stood in front of the net. the rules in the book didnt apply. if the defenseman wasnt strong enough to move the guy, he could just pummel him.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:22 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Anton heading back to Sweden.

http://dumpnchase.com/?p=327

Loser.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:22 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Well, uh, adios AnGus.

Quote:
Center Anton Gustafsson — the Capitals’ first-round pick (21st overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft — has informed the team that he is not enjoying hockey at this point in his career and has decided to head home to Sweden.
I think we can safely move him from the "maybe late bloomer" category to "total bust".

Old
10-18-2010, 12:23 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Bye bye, Anton Eberle.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Just gets worse and worse.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Langway
Intangibles

So is he done from hockey altogether? If so how bizarre is it to have two top 60 picks out of the game just two years after being drafted. You wonder if their interview process needs to become a little more strenuous.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:32 PM
sk84fun_dc

I am not making excuses for the kid (and yes, he's only 20yo,) but it doesn't help that SC's regular season got delayed when they lost their opening weekend home dates to a concert. SC doesn't even start playing until Friday night. I was a bit surprised he reported at all, not surprised he's heading back to Sweden.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:36 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Thought experiment (just to increase the agony of it all, and to pass the time).

Let's redo that draft. Let's say we take Carlson with the 1st pick just because taking anyone else means Carlson is more likely gone. Then let's say we still make the trade with Philly.

Who do you think we should have picked at the time (if you can remember any prospects you were really wanting at the time)?

Who should we have taken in hindsight?

I probably would have said Markstrom or Voinov at the time, and looking back I guess the guys that really jumped up are guys like Wiercioch and Stepan.

And for the record, I was hoping they'd take a chance on AnGus, just not with their 1st pick (would have taken him with one of our 2nds easily, or traded up higher in the round for him; heck, I might have even taken him at 27 so, end of the day, I was fine with how the 1st round ended up there).

You can do it the other way around, who do we take with AnGus' pick and assume with still get Carlson at 27, but I think that ends up less likely just because AnGus was probably a player few wanted that high in the draft. Take someone that everybody else ends up wanting and it trickles down. I don't think we could have gotten both Carlson and Eberle, for example, but that's just me.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:37 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
So is he done from hockey altogether? If so how bizarre is it to have two top 60 picks out of the game just two years after being drafted. You wonder if their interview process needs to become a little more strenuous.
I assumed Mestery would end up on a CIS team but I haven't heard that it happened, so yes, I assume at this point he's not playing. With Mestery, I don't know if we know enough to assume it's all about not wanting to play vs his skills and how far they would or would not take him.

Old
10-18-2010, 12:51 PM
FrankM73

Lil' Gus heading home, not enjoying hockey in the ECHL...

Old
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
sk84fun_dc

2008 draft:

Washington Capitals traded 23rd and 54th (2nd rd) picks to New Jersey Devils for the 21st pick (then the Devils traded 23rd in a trade to Minnesota)

Washington Capitals traded Steve Eminger and 84th pick to Philadelphia for 27th pick

Mestery, Holtby and Kugryshev picks were from 2007 draft day trades

2008 Draft
1/21/Anton Gustafsson - suspended by Capitals
1/27/John Carlson - Washington Capitals roster
2/57/Eric Mestery - not playing CHL overage season
2/58/Dmitri Kugryshev - under contract
4/93/Braden Holtby - under contract
5/144/Joel Broda - Not signed; ELC w/Minnesota
6/174/Greg Burke - Soph. at UNH, NCAA
7/204/Stefan Della Rovere - Traded for DJ King

someone please correct any misinformation, thanks

Old
10-18-2010, 12:57 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Anton heading back to Sweden.

Loser.
Apparently suffering from Stockholm syndrom.

Can we send Steckel and TFS as well?

Old
10-18-2010, 01:02 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

its kind of funny we took him over Carlson. South Carolina or Stockholm hmmm

Its Helsinki Syndrome. As in Helsinki Sweden.

Closed Thread