HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

FC Releases November Ranking for 2014 NHL Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2013, 12:33 PM
  #1
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,223
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
FC Releases November Ranking for 2014 NHL Draft

We're recently released our November ranking for the 2014 NHL Draft and we've got some pretty interesting changes in our top-30, some that not everyone is going to agree upon.

We've elected to put Aaron Ekblad in front of Sam Reinhart. That decision is discussed in the article that accompanies the full rankings that you'll find HERE.

Quote:
Rank / Pos. / Name / Team / League / Ht / Wt /

1). D Aaron Ekblad, Barrie (OHL), 6-4, 215
2). C Sam Reinhart, Kootenay (WHL), 6-1, 185
3). LW Sam Bennett, Kingston (OHL), 6-0, 180
4). C William Nylander, Rogle (Allsvenskan), 5-11, 170
5). C Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert (WHL), 6-2, 210
6). C Michael Dal Colle, Oshawa (OHL), 6-2, 180
7). C Jake Virtanen, Calgary (WHL), 6-1, 210
8). LW Nick Ritchie, Peterborough (OHL), 6-2, 230
9). D Roland McKeown, Kingston (OHL), 6-1, 200
10). D Haydn Fleury, Red Deer (WHL), 6-3, 200
Full Top-30 HERE
Full Top-100 HERE

Some other draft eligibles turned in some great performances and saw some increase in their stocks in October, too. We recently named Brendan Perlini our 'draft eligible Forward of the Month', while Anthony DeAngelo was our 'draft eligible Defenseman of the Month' and Igor Shestyorkin -- who actually scored a goal in October -- our 'draft eligible Goaltender of the Month'.

Lots of stuff to dig in there, so enjoy!

__________________
Get your copy of FC's 2014 NHL DRAFT GUIDE now!
Don't forget to pick up FC's 2014 Newsletter series too!
Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 12:39 PM
  #2
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,508
vCash: 677
Minor nitpick, but it seems to be a recurring theme. Sam Bennett's position is center. He has never played LW for Kingston. Even as a 16 year old rookie last year, he was a center.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 12:57 PM
  #3
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,905
vCash: 355
Shaping up as a very strong year for the WHL.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2013, 03:13 PM
  #4
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
The Dub is strong in my opinion.

The top 2 would be a cluster, then Virtanen, Fleury, and Bleackley would be the next tier. Fleury and Virtanen are neck and neck in my eyes, which says something about the 7-10 area of the draft.

The 3rd tier is a bit bigger- Martin, Honka, as well as Point, Hawryluk, De Leo, Iverson, Mayo, and several others. Still going to be some significant movement.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 12:53 PM
  #5
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,223
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
The Dub is strong in my opinion.

The top 2 would be a cluster, then Virtanen, Fleury, and Bleackley would be the next tier. Fleury and Virtanen are neck and neck in my eyes, which says something about the 7-10 area of the draft.

The 3rd tier is a bit bigger- Martin, Honka, as well as Point, Hawryluk, De Leo, Iverson, Mayo, and several others. Still going to be some significant movement.
That's the fun of it all! Still eight months until the draft!

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 08:03 PM
  #6
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
The Dub is strong in my opinion.

The top 2 would be a cluster, then Virtanen, Fleury, and Bleackley would be the next tier. Fleury and Virtanen are neck and neck in my eyes, which says something about the 7-10 area of the draft.

The 3rd tier is a bit bigger- Martin, Honka, as well as Point, Hawryluk, De Leo, Iverson, Mayo, and several others. Still going to be some significant movement.
That second and third tier start to merge if Virtanen and Fleury don't pick up their production. There are a lot of skilled players climbing the boards as we speak because they are producing. Though still a long season, I understand.

Honka could be a Hickey type gamble if he continues his play.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:03 PM
  #7
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
That second and third tier start to merge if Virtanen and Fleury don't pick up their production. There are a lot of skilled players climbing the boards as we speak because they are producing. Though still a long season, I understand.

Honka could be a Hickey type gamble if he continues his play.
For me there is a pretty noticeable gap between those groups of players. I'll see Honka, Martin, and Point next week which will help clarify things.

Virtanen and Fleury are both top-10 calibre guys IMO. You can see that by the rankings. Virtanen's kinda hot and cold while Fleury's team is just in a hole right now.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 10:43 PM
  #8
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
For me there is a pretty noticeable gap between those groups of players. I'll see Honka, Martin, and Point next week which will help clarify things.

Virtanen and Fleury are both top-10 calibre guys IMO. You can see that by the rankings. Virtanen's kinda hot and cold while Fleury's team is just in a hole right now.
Virtanen has so much potential, but he'd better start living up to that potential soon, because he's not producing as he should

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 05:54 AM
  #9
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
For me there is a pretty noticeable gap between those groups of players. I'll see Honka, Martin, and Point next week which will help clarify things.

Virtanen and Fleury are both top-10 calibre guys IMO. You can see that by the rankings. Virtanen's kinda hot and cold while Fleury's team is just in a hole right now.
Mostly agree. Honka has so much pure skill he's the only one out of the group mentioned I'm truly thinking of. Maybe Hawryluk, but he's got some rounding of his skillset to do.

It's the rest of the CHL who are going to leapfrog Fleury/Virtanen. They definitely have top ten skillsets, but Goldobin/Barbashev/Scherbak/Ehlers are in the process of passing them or already have. Atleast on my board.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 06:05 AM
  #10
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Just an observation:

Why are services so resistant to change and fans even more?

1) It is obvious others are more talented than Reinhart and Ekblad

2) How are the bottom four still in consideration and a guy like Perlini is not?

The rank is a November rank. Not a what we think year end will look like or the summer projection we still don't wanna mess around with. Never understood this.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 07:47 AM
  #11
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Just an observation:

Why are services so resistant to change and fans even more?

1) It is obvious others are more talented than Reinhart and Ekblad

2) How are the bottom four still in consideration and a guy like Perlini is not?

The rank is a November rank. Not a what we think year end will look like or the summer projection we still don't wanna mess around with. Never understood this.
Bolded is 100% inaccurate. There is no obvious guy or guys that should be running away with the #1 or #2 ranking. There is however a handful of guys with similar skill levels IMO and it comes down to who is projected to be a better pro not how many points they are putting up in October/November 2013 for their junior teams.

Also, these services need to be carful of that line between knee-jerk reactions to an impressive string of games and long term projection of a player in draft rankings. The point of these rankings is not a who is hot and who is cold in the moment but who would you recommend NHL teams select if the draft was held today. The movement happens because scouts opinions and prospect development are always changing throughout the year.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:15 AM
  #12
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,326
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Just an observation:

Why are services so resistant to change and fans even more?

1) It is obvious others are more talented than Reinhart and Ekblad

2) How are the bottom four still in consideration and a guy like Perlini is not?

The rank is a November rank. Not a what we think year end will look like or the summer projection we still don't wanna mess around with. Never understood this.
Perlini is 11th on there list.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:25 AM
  #13
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup View Post
Bolded is 100% inaccurate. There is no obvious guy or guys that should be running away with the #1 or #2 ranking. There is however a handful of guys with similar skill levels IMO and it comes down to who is projected to be a better pro not how many points they are putting up in October/November 2013 for their junior teams.

Also, these services need to be carful of that line between knee-jerk reactions to an impressive string of games and long term projection of a player in draft rankings. The point of these rankings is not a who is hot and who is cold in the moment but who would you recommend NHL teams select if the draft was held today. The movement happens because scouts opinions and prospect development are always changing throughout the year.
Actually, you are right. I was inaccurate but you picked up on my true thoughts and explained them more clearly. Cheers! To the point you just clarified, I think it demonstrates why I don't agree with Reinhart and Ekblad being recycled at 1-3 everywhere. It ends up being so because of long term hype.

I mean is Ekblad really entrenched at the top and the best defender because of his 34/54 last year? I've been watching these guys religiously and a guy like MDC is performing and has a more dominating skill set. Same thing with Bennett. He may be the best D as a result of poor play from other's.

I feel like your second paragraph is contradictory. If movement does happen, than why aren't the services final draft guide encompassing of their projections and the rankings in the year exactly what you say - always changing to give a realtime rank?

If it were only about projection and recommendation...we would be seeing Vanier ranked close or ahead of the top D right now. And that wouldn't be a knee jerk reaction. But things don't work that way, which is why it has got to be about something else. Some inability to drop bias because some prospects have given us a good player to think about for years before their draft. It just cheapens the whole process because said players will always be entrenched at the top long after they've fallen in real time.

It's almost as if you weren't known before this year, you've a long time til you prove to scouts etc that you deserve your rank. That's ********.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 09:35 AM
  #14
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
not sure why Jack Ramsey went to play in the BCHL this year, kid has fallen hard on lists as he was very high on Buttons early list as well as others. Kid should have stayed in Minny High school hockey or went to the Dub..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 12:31 PM
  #15
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Actually, you are right. I was inaccurate but you picked up on my true thoughts and explained them more clearly. Cheers! To the point you just clarified, I think it demonstrates why I don't agree with Reinhart and Ekblad being recycled at 1-3 everywhere. It ends up being so because of long term hype.

I mean is Ekblad really entrenched at the top and the best defender because of his 34/54 last year? I've been watching these guys religiously and a guy like MDC is performing and has a more dominating skill set. Same thing with Bennett. He may be the best D as a result of poor play from other's.

I feel like your second paragraph is contradictory. If movement does happen, than why aren't the services final draft guide encompassing of their projections and the rankings in the year exactly what you say - always changing to give a realtime rank?

If it were only about projection and recommendation...we would be seeing Vanier ranked close or ahead of the top D right now. And that wouldn't be a knee jerk reaction. But things don't work that way, which is why it has got to be about something else. Some inability to drop bias because some prospects have given us a good player to think about for years before their draft. It just cheapens the whole process because said players will always be entrenched at the top long after they've fallen in real time.

It's almost as if you weren't known before this year, you've a long time til you prove to scouts etc that you deserve your rank. That's ********.
I am not trying to be rude here but I am a little confused by your thoughts. Do you have a problem with scouting services giving better rank to guys who have shown improving skill sets over a few years of observation instead of guys who are off to hot starts in their current draft year? I does and should take consistency and time to prove yourself. If they keep up the performance they will move up eventually. The scouting process is a long marathon and not a sprint.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.