HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW/C Mark McNeill (2011, 18th overall, Chicago)

Old
03-05-2011, 12:21 PM
chrisralph007
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=829162

One of my favorite players of the draft. A complete player. Nice physical edge, excellent along the boards. Kills penalties, good on draws and can play the point on the PP.
Couldn't have said it better. I'm hoping the Flames manage to snag him, wherever they may end up drafting.

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I probably wouldn't burn a .2nd trading up for him, bit is happily pick him anywhere outside of the top ten or twelve. That simply because phoenix doesn't have a meed for a D prospect and McNeill HAS to ne a top ten forward, right?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 02:59 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Why would the flames get him. They need scorers. I guess we'll see

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2011, 03:28 PM
rockinghockey

He has some size and by the videos that I saw he can fight that is for sure. Would make a very good 3rd centreman and hopefully develop to a good 2nd centreman with size and grit which every team can use.

Taking a look at the 1st rounders though only 25% will probally make it to the NHL.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 10:48 PM
DuklaNation

Scored his 30th goal tonight, 74 pts in 67 GP. I would be shocked if he wasnt picked in the top 15 given the overall package. Especially given the smallish players projected in that range.

DuklaNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 10:20 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
I like him as a top 15. Does too many things well and has size that many players don't. I don't think he'll ever pan out as good as Getzlaf or Kesler, but he's a similar player to those two. I see a good two way 60-70 point player.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 12:46 PM
smokes lets go

Hopefully the oilers can get him with LA's pick if we draft Larsson. I like players that have strong 2 way game and untapped offensive upside like he has, and can anyone comment on his skating ability???

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Sabes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahey and Randy View Post
Hopefully the oilers can get him with LA's pick if we draft Larsson. I like players that have strong 2 way game and untapped offensive upside like he has, and can anyone comment on his skating ability???
Very deceptive speed for his size. Finished 3rd in the fastest skater comp at the top prospects game ahead of some pretty fast players.

http://www.homehardwaretopprospectsg...shootout/90442

Sabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Why would the flames get him. They need scorers. I guess we'll see
Flames need prospects.

It would be nice for Edmonton to take him with LA's pick. Sort of the home grown kid who, if things play out well for him, he could be a nice face of the franchise.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2011, 06:35 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabes View Post
Very deceptive speed for his size. Finished 3rd in the fastest skater comp at the top prospects game ahead of some pretty fast players.

http://www.homehardwaretopprospectsg...shootout/90442
Wow the more i hear about this kid, the more intrigued i am. He's a big kid, has great speed, 2-way play and is putting up good point totals on a garbage team.

Old
03-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Madic

Quote:
I like him as a top 15.
I keep thinking he almost has to go there, given the overall package and the numbers he's putting up consistently. GM's salivate over the Backes types. Pity, I'd kill to see the Leafs draft him.

I livestreamed a game (the only time I've seen him play) and I was surprised to see him playing the half-wall on the PP...and blast home a one-timer. Didn't think he was supposed to have much of a shot. The kid is Johansen-ing his way up the charts, it seems.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:04 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
I keep thinking he almost has to go there, given the overall package and the numbers he's putting up consistently. GM's salivate over the Backes types. Pity, I'd kill to see the Leafs draft him.

I livestreamed a game (the only time I've seen him play) and I was surprised to see him playing the half-wall on the PP...and blast home a one-timer. Didn't think he was supposed to have much of a shot. The kid is Johansen-ing his way up the charts, it seems.
I wouldn't go that far. The kid has been a steady riser all year (as I predicted on my blog in November), but he won't be cracking the top 4-5.

Top 15 is a maybe still at this point.

And yes, he doesn't just stand in front of the net on the PP. I've seen him play the point on the PP a number of times.

Old
03-15-2011, 12:37 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. The kid has been a steady riser all year (as I predicted on my blog in November), but he won't be cracking the top 4-5.

Top 15 is a maybe still at this point.
And yes, he doesn't just stand in front of the net on the PP. I've seen him play the point on the PP a number of times.
I agree.

He is a player that every team would covet......you could very well see a team trading up to get him.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:40 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I say Jensen, Biggs, and McNeil have been the biggest risers so far imo.

I love McNeil because he brings a defensive game and gives 110% on every shift.

I do like him around 13-20. If he goes past 20 that would be a steal like Fowler was.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Madic

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far.
I was referring to the steady rise in the rankings, not the top 5 pick status. I think even the top 10 is too lofty for him, given the talent jammed in from the 8-12 spots.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 02:52 AM
smokes lets go

what are the biggest holes in his game? Size, Speed, 2-way play, & Talent should =higher

Old
03-15-2011, 10:25 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahey and Randy View Post
what are the biggest holes in his game? Size, Speed, 2-way play, & Talent should =higher
He doesn't really have any glaring holes that I have seen. I think the only thing that might be holding him back is the fact that some people out there might not see his offense translating to the next level enough to be a top 2 centerman.

He's a very well balanced in every single aspect, but he doesn't exactly do anything that jumps off the page at you and screams at you to take him.

He's solid at everything, but not really spectacular at anything.

To me, his best aspect is his passing and vision.

Old
03-15-2011, 10:47 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:
He doesn't really have any glaring holes that I have seen. I think the only thing that might be holding him back is the fact that some people out there might not see his offense translating to the next level enough to be a top 2 centerman.

He's a very well balanced in every single aspect, but he doesn't exactly do anything that jumps off the page at you and screams at you to take him.

He's solid at everything, but not really spectacular at anything.

To me, his best aspect is his passing and vision.
I agree.

The term "smart" hockey player gets used alot by many....I do not however throw it out as an everyday term....in this case however it fits.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Ryan Getzlaf put up 18 points in his rookie year in the WHL. Mcneil plays on one of the leagues weakest teams. He is literally the only bright spot to me. 68 in 70 in second year. Whereas Mcneil is on pace to put up two points more. So much for that case.

He's pushing a PPG in his pre-draft year. That is hardly a "late-bloomer" for WHL point standards. He has under-rated puck skills. Which include passing and stick handling. The edge, hard nose and great work ethic are all added plus'. Kilger has been a lifetime winger. McNeil is clearly a center. Perhaps a winger in transition but not likely. I see a similar edge thoguh. Lastly, he is not "far" from a blue chipper. He has some developing to do but he is very likely to contribute at the NHL level.
Kilger was drafted as a center and was never referred to as anything else while he was a prospect, as far as I can recall.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:14 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Kids a monster, having a great series against the Blades. Was arguably the best player on the ice last night in their 5-2 win. Peaking at the right time.

Old
04-01-2011, 03:57 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

I can't find any real fault in his game. He plays with an edge, good wheels, decent hands, solid work ethic.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Roof Daddy

I think at this point he is really working his way into the 10-15 range. I wouldn't be shocked if he went 10th overall... but I'd be disappointed because I want the Oilers to somehow get him.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Hall the Franchise*

McNeil cries Backes everytime i watch him and if he can put it all together then he will be great Power forward like Backes.

I hope the Oilers or the Leafs pick him up.

Hall the Franchise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:23 PM
DropIt

I am really liking alot of scouting mock drafts and draft proojections coming out.

If this guy falls into Calgary's terrritory, I dont see how they can pass him up. Fills a big need for a big, strong centre. Alberta boy. And he plays the exact way that Calgary does.

For some reason though, I have doubts about Jay Feaster making a pick like this, and can see me wishing Darryl was still around for the draft because this is a Sutter pick through and through

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2011, 12:26 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

For the record, he's a Hawks fan. Too bad they basically have no shot at him. Lol.

If the Avs end up with the Blues 1st rounder this year I would love if they could get one of Siemens or McNeill.