HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #3: vs Detroit, 10/14 (7:30 PM, FSSW/NHLN, 1310 AM)

Old
10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
So disappointed Brunnstrom still can't get starts. I'd wish they'd just trade him to give him a chance, he'l be gone back to Sweden soon if he isn't allowed a chance here.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Captain Awesome

If they're gonna be like that, they might as well pay me 675K to travel with the team.

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:21 PM
cesky hokej91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
Should i change the thread title to Benedict Arnold Vs. Dallas?
Modano deserves a standing ovation. Management cut him loose, and he wants a shot at the cup before he hangs 'em up for good. It's a good finish to a great career, playing for his home town team.

cesky hokej91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas91 View Post
Modano deserves a standing ovation. Management cut him loose, and he wants a shot at the cup before he hangs 'em up for good. It's a good finish to a great career, playing for his home town team.
He has a cup already!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Our bottom six looks so bad. Lehtonen is going to have to stand on head, again.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas91 View Post
Modano deserves a standing ovation.
He already got one.

He doesn't need another.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Old
10-14-2010, 05:13 PM
vofty

From an article on NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=540556

Quote:
He'll find out right away just how thankful the fans of Dallas are since Detroit coach Mike Babcock intends to have Modano's line, with Dan Cleary and Jiri Hudler, on the ice to open the game. He'll stand along the visitor's blue line during the National Anthem in what surely will be a surreal moment.

"I'm a little bit anxious over what type of reception I'll get," Modano, 40, said. "Obviously, I've had a lot of great moments here and spent a big chunk of my life here … almost half of it. I've had meaningful experiences with the fans and the teams here, trying to build the game of hockey in Texas and not simply Dallas alone. I think it'll be a warm reception for a little until they see the Wings. But, the thing is, every time we played Detroit when I was in Dallas, half the building was red."
"I can't imagine there will be a whole lot of (booing)," Morrow said. "I think if he scores it'll probably rival the amount of noise that goes off when we score. The fans have a lot of good memories of Mike and he didn't go on his own terms, so it's not like he shunned the team and took off. I think the reception will be well received."
Still doesn't know when to leave well enough alone and shut his mouth, some things never change.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Never knew how and never will. *shakes head*

Old
10-14-2010, 05:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
That seals it for me. Why would Modano be anxious over the reception he's going to get? Why he is conjecturing that the fan reaction will be split?

I mean, if you buy into the narrative Detroit fans would have you believe, he has absolutely nothing to worry about. His intentions were absolutely pure, right? Joe Nieuwendyk told HIM to get lost, see ya, clear your locker out by noon. He leads the franchise in everything, surely the fans he spent 17 years with can't wait to welcome him back and sign his praises just one more time.

Unless... unless, he knows his actions were designed to produce a certain response. A less than enthusiastic response.

And if the building is half Red Wings fans (who will undoubtedly cheer for him) who would encompass the other half of that mixed reaction? Oh, I don't know.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Chad_

You know, it's pretty funny to me that the malcontent, cancer in the room Sean Avery has said far less (nothing that I recall) bad about Dallas or the Stars than the idol, face of the franchise Modano or his relatives have. Who would have ever thought that would be the case?

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
You know, it's pretty funny to me that the malcontent, cancer in the room Sean Avery has said far less (nothing that I recall) bad about Dallas or the Stars than the idol, face of the franchise Modano or his relatives have. Who would have ever thought that would be the case?
Pretty sad, eh?

(Avery Still Sucks)

Old
10-14-2010, 05:44 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
He'll find out right away just how thankful the fans of Dallas are since Detroit coach Mike Babcock intends to have Modano's line, with Dan Cleary and Jiri Hudler, on the ice to open the game. He'll stand along the visitor's blue line during the National Anthem in what surely will be a surreal moment.
Didn't the fans show Mike how thankful they are during that last home game last season? How he is received this season is a completely different matter altogether.

Edit:

Dear Dallas Morning News,

Please discontinue the nearly daily updates on how Mike Modano's career is progressing in Detroit. Modano was a cornerstone to the Dallas Stars becoming a respected, successful hockey franchise in the Sun Belt. It does a disservice to the legacy Modano and the Stars forged during the 1990's and 2000's to keep equal tabs on the former player and the organization. Part of the identity of the Dallas Stars has consistently been that nobody is bigger than the team. Still today, nobody is bigger than the team.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 10-14-2010 at 05:58 PM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Chad_

I don't know how many of you read this article Mark Stepneski tweeted about, but it's pretty interesting in my estimation about both Hull's and Avery's attitudes and how they can either mix in or clash with others.

Here's what the Stars team psychologist, Scott McFadden, said about Avery:
Quote:
“(Avery) didn’t like the city. He didn’t like the team. He was toxic for our group, but he pushed his way into the hub. He became a major distraction, and the group went downhill. The Stars have been reeling for two years now, and he’s one of the key reasons why.”
While maybe we've figured Avery didn't like Dallas or the team, I don't recall ever hearing that from him. He's been a professional about the entire ordeal, which is about the last thing most here expected. I remember Piqued, for one, proclaiming that we should get ready for a bunch of junk from Avery about the Stars and Dallas. I certainly thought so. But we have heard Modano tell the world he can't count and we have heard from Modano's wife Modano signed with the Red Wings in part to 'stick it' to the Dallas Stars fans.

Old
10-14-2010, 05:59 PM
vofty

I read the article and I thought it was very good, I was appreciative Mark tweeted it.

However, I'm in a camp (maybe by myself) that believes Hull should not have a job with the Stars. And I hope he no longer with when new owner comes in.

Old
10-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
I read the article and I thought it was very good, I was appreciative Mark tweeted it.

However, I'm in a camp (maybe by myself) that believes Hull should not have a job with the Stars. And I hope he no longer with when new owner comes in.
You're not by yourself.

Old
10-14-2010, 06:11 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

well Avery is still getting paid by the Stars

again though what Mo said unfortunately was true, there are a lot of transplants who live here and honestly who wants to live in Detroit if they have no attachment to the area somehow.

Last edited by DaStars99: 10-14-2010 at 06:17 PM.
DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 06:12 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
You're not.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Modano's contributions to the on-ice success or failure of the organization should stay in the past as well. We've all heard talk of Modano taking some sort of role with the club, but what exactly could he do and do well? He was getting lazy here as a player, and working in the front office takes a hell of a lot of work. Unless it is in some sort of community outreach niche (i.e. not affecting the on-ice product), I fail to see how he could have a positive impact on the Dallas Stars going forward. Giving him a share of responsibility even close to what Hull had would be a disaster.

Old
10-14-2010, 06:13 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:

he just needs to be reassigned...back to this

Old
10-14-2010, 06:15 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
again though what Mo said unfortunately was true, there are a lot of transplants who live here and honestly who wants to live in Detroit if they is no attachment to the area somehow.
Come again?

Are you talking about Detroit transplants or the bandwagon douchers who will be sporting Yankees gear in Arlington on Friday and Saturday?

Old
10-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
You're not by yourself.
Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Old
10-14-2010, 06:19 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

wow, I really need to read my posts before I post them sometimes. I was talking about the Detroit transplants specifically there although they can be from anywhere in general

Old
10-14-2010, 06:21 PM
txomisc

geez if you cant get a lineup spot over barch you are in sad shape. Stars should take anything at all thats offered from Brunnstrom and call up Gagnon

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 06:24 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
geez if you cant get a lineup spot over barch you are in sad shape. Stars should take anything at all thats offered from Brunnstrom and call up Gagnon
what team would offer anything at this point, he isn't even able to "showcase" his abilities

Old
10-14-2010, 06:27 PM
vofty

Joe wants to accumulate draft picks surely they could get a 5th rounder from the Pens for him right?