HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New to the game - 18 years old

Old
10-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Forsburger

vCash: 500
New to the game - 18 years old

Hey guys so i'm 18 and never really gotten into hockey until after the lockout (which is kinda odd considering me neighbor used to be part owner of the Oilers and would give us tickets all the time) but now i'm obsessed with the game. However, my parents never got me into hockey when I was growing up. I was friends in high school with all the hockey players, most played junior and some even got drafted, and I always felt a little left out because I never played the game. Well now some of them are getting together in late summer and playing some beer league and they asked me if I wanted to join. I of course said yes. Now i'm going to sign up for power skating lessons pretty quick here and I was wondering if you guys had any other tips for me to adjust to the game quickly. Maybe little exercises I can do at home or stretches or even advice on equipment? Any help would be great.

Forsburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 04:41 PM
trtaylor

vCash: 500
  1. Don't skimp on your skates. You can go cheap on everything else. But not the skates. Make sure you don't get them too big.
  2. Get on the ice as often as you can.
  3. You can practice stickhandling at home.
  4. Power skating classes are good. So are the adult 'Learn to play hockey' clinics.
Edit: Don't go cheap on a helmet.

Last edited by trtaylor: 10-13-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Forgot about the helmet.
trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote