HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/12/10 Game 3: Thrashers 1, Kings 3 POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-13-2010, 10:18 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

vCash: 500
Stoll gives us something the other centers can't provide, winning face-offs and he surprises people with his speed. You really wouldn't think he's a fast guy

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Drewiske & Muzzin are terrible . . . I have yet to see Muzzin use his body on someone. Brown is awful on the first line. Kopitar was great . . . all over the ice. Jack needs to get his **** together

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:32 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Terrible first two periods. Excellent 3rd. They woke up after getting that garbage goal.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
The Hegemony Consul
Serial Ruminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
<snip>

I've been quietly following your team for awhile and hopefully I'll be able to catch enough games to contribute something to the conversation around here.
Speaking only for myself: please do. Your observations were (IMHO) very well taken.

P.S. I thought this at the time, and still do: I wish your Sabres had faced the Ducks back in '07. Maybe the outcome of that Finals would've been different...

The Hegemony Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
I've been quietly following your team for awhile and hopefully I'll be able to catch enough games to contribute something to the conversation around here.
please do!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Really impressed with Quick's start to the season. I don't know if it's the weight loss, time off, or understandable pressure from Bernier but he looks focused. Great two games from him to start the season. Only two games -- but it's a good start and confidence builder.
I like what I'm seeing from Quick so far as well (ok, only 2 games, but they are far better thna how he wound up last season...)

And the offense still could use a bit more work, but winning 2 of 3 with zero 1st or 2nd period goals ? I'l take it. Every time

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:54 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
i actually think Muzzin may turn out to be a pretty damn good defenseman. Davis Drewiske on the other hand...

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:34 AM
NomadFan

This thread needs more Mitchell love. Like all the fans of other teams mention about him, it's the little things that really make him a valuable player.

Example: in post-whistle scrums, he's constantly smirking and chirping the other team. Playing against that smug face would piss me off to no end.

Oh and he's fairly solid overall. It's interesting to contrast his game against Scuderi's. Though Mitchell is more or less billed as a defensive defenseman, it's nice to see that he can make himself available for offense - he's calling for one-timers at the point, taking shots, making passes, or even trying to skate it in a bit - whereas Scuderi will make the safe dump-in play almost 100% of the time.

Hope his head stays on properly, because damn this team has a great defensive lineup.

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i actually think Muzzin may turn out to be a pretty damn good defenseman. Davis Drewiske on the other hand...
Yes , Muzzin looks like a 5 or 6 dman who has a couple of years in the league already.

Old
10-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Stoll gives us something the other centers can't provide, winning face-offs and he surprises people with his speed. You really wouldn't think he's a fast guy
The Stoll hate on this board surprises me.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:47 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

This thread needs more PK love as well. Atlanta isn't an all-world team by any stretch, but our PK looked fabulous last night. Thanks John!

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
The Stoll hate on this board surprises me.
Most of it is from one poster

Old
10-13-2010, 12:13 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Muzz is playing very well considering he has played three nhl games and is being caught out of position due to his being paired with Davis who is truly struggling at times so far this season. It is a sign that our new D coach isn't quite up to speed yet when he pairs a true rookie kid with a yet to be established dman like Davis. Especially when Davis is clearly struggling. He doesn't have much choice just yet but for my money I would keep Muzz up and let Davis find his game again down on the farm when Greene gets back.

The reason that Muzz is starting to look better at his spot is that he is finally starting to let Davis live with his own mistakes. Muzz isn't out of position too often and that is pretty great for a kid.

BSchenn had another great game and is clearly NHL ready. Keeping him up is a no brainer.

Poni cannot replace Fro and it is obvious that he won't come close to doing so. I know its only three games but it isn't hard to see (imo) that Poni is continuing to play the style of game that has cost him his job in the past. If he can change things around which is possible then maybe he can get within the range of being a very poor mans example of Afro but in the mean time I don't see it. Oh well, he is a place holder, the only problem is that we didn't need one at his spot but who knows.

Quick is having a solid start.

Simmonds isn't playing his game. If I were coaching him I would tell him to bring back the nasty, his scoring comes from his ability to piss people off and claw his way to the front. I think he will be alright.

I like our passion so far, we could play a bit meaner but it looks like we are playing like a team that knows that it can win and that is a great thing to watch.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Maybe my seats gave me a bad angle, but I thought the Thrash goal was Muzzin's fault, not Drewiske's. Seemed like he immediately backed off the wrong way and gave Thornburn the opening. Am I wrong?

Also, I liked Lokti's game more than most seem to. Nothing dramatic but he was very solid and made safe/smart decisions.

Loving Schenn's play. He will start burying some of those chances soon.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:24 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

The problem is positional play. Muzzin did in fact back off at the wrong time but he is being coached to cover an area (which is a common way to teach kids coming into a new system) and to rely on his partner to do the same. Davis hasn't been able to do so and I think that Muzzin has struggled as a result of this.

That and Muzzin's inexperience are what lead to last nights goal but to me the bigger point is that we are breaking in a talented kid by playing him with a struggling yet to be established young player and that is a recipe for disaster.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
NomadFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
Maybe my seats gave me a bad angle, but I thought the Thrash goal was Muzzin's fault, not Drewiske's. Seemed like he immediately backed off the wrong way and gave Thornburn the opening. Am I wrong?

Also, I liked Lokti's game more than most seem to. Nothing dramatic but he was very solid and made safe/smart decisions.

Loving Schenn's play. He will start burying some of those chances soon.
From where I sat, the Thrashers' goal came off of Richardson's screw-up. He coughed it up, but the D was already starting to charge for the neutral zone. He gave up the puck in a prime area for a breakaway - in fact I'm surprised either D was able to come back at all. That goal doesn't happen if Richardson doesn't bobble the puck off the face off.

Having said that, either of them could have done more to pounce on the rebound. Quick made the first stop, and by that time I think both Whiskey and Muzz were already back in "position."

NomadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Thanks, guys. Totally missed Richardson's coughing it up. Don't get me wrong, I liked Muzzin's play overall and I'm looking forward to seeing him with Greene.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Defgarden

The first two periods werent the best, but I don't think they were terrible. A few posts away from a couple of goals. Nice to see then stick with it though.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:49 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadFan View Post
From where I sat, the Thrashers' goal came off of Richardson's screw-up. He coughed it up, but the D was already starting to charge for the neutral zone. He gave up the puck in a prime area for a breakaway - in fact I'm surprised either D was able to come back at all. That goal doesn't happen if Richardson doesn't bobble the puck off the face off.

Having said that, either of them could have done more to pounce on the rebound. Quick made the first stop, and by that time I think both Whiskey and Muzz were already back in "position."

the problem there is, "defense" implies the player is prepared for that play. there was zero communication, and just like that old adage of never leaving your own zone without the puck, BOTH guys got caught too high and ended up staring at one another as Thorburn, who has full forward momentum, skated right past them.

setting up for that faceoff should have seen those two discuss who was going to drop further to protect against, hell, even an inadvertent bounce off a skate that produces a breakaway or outnumbered attack situation.

Richardson coughed up the puck, sure, but both defensemen poorly read the play... and the onus is on them.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
the problem there is, "defense" implies the player is prepared for that play. there was zero communication, and just like that old adage of never leaving your own zone without the puck, BOTH guys got caught too high and ended up staring at one another as Thorburn, who has full forward momentum, skated right past them.

setting up for that faceoff should have seen those two discuss who was going to drop further to protect against, hell, even an inadvertent bounce off a skate that produces a breakaway or outnumbered attack situation.

Richardson coughed up the puck, sure, but both defensemen poorly read the play... and the onus is on them.
this

They also did little to nothing to tie up Thornbird's stick for that rebound too.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
I agree 100%. I tend to pull for all the young guys with my purple shades on but Drewiske has been downright awful since preseason. But I disagree with your statement about Brown. He may not be a lamp lighter but I still think he is a good hockey player. He is just put in a role he isn't suited for. He should be 2nd line tops. I'd like to see Simmonds and Brown switched for a few games and the 2nd line left the way it is for the time being but I know that will never happen. I think he could put up 20 on the third line with Zeus and Frolov (if he were still here). And while Ponikorovksy (yeah i screwed the spelling up) hits more than Frolov, that is about all he seems to do. I did think he played better last night.

Doughty looks like he is finally turning the corner but he is still trying to do way too much as is Jack. Last year, Doughty would have fired that shot from the point on the Kings first PP without hesitating like he did last night and gave mason a perfect view to glove it.

Quick is really playing well so far but the defense has been helping him too.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 10-13-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
this

They also did little to nothing to tie up Thornbird's stick for that rebound too.
...well it was poor rebound control by Quick after all that led to the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I agree 100%. I tend to pull for all the young guys with my purple shades on but Drewiske has been downright awful since preseason. But I disagree with your statement about Brown. He may not be a lamp lighter but I still think he is a good hockey player. He is just put in a role he isn't suited for. He should be 2nd line tops. I'd like to see Simmonds and Brown switched for a few games and the 2nd line left the way it is for the time being but I know that will never happen. I think he could put up 20 on the third line with Zeus and Frolov (if he were still here). And while Ponikorovksy (yeah i screwed the spelling up) hits more than Frolov, that is about all he seems to do. I did think he played better last night.

Doughty looks like he is finally turning the corner but he is still trying to do way too much as is Jack. Doughty would have fired that shot from the point on the Kings first PP without hesitating like he did last night and gave mason a perfect view to glove it.

Quick is really playing well so far but the defense has been helping him too.
I have CRS disease, but didn't

Richardson - Handzus - Brown

skate briefly together last season and look pretty decent?

I wouldn't mess with the Smyth/Williams pairing ever again. It is obvious to me now that they both need each other (Smyth really needs Williams) and they play very well off each other.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
maybe but that opportunity shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Richardson coughed it up - most fault
D did a horrible job on the play - next most fault
Kurrilino will somehow blame stoll- we'll give him some fault
Quick's rebound-next most fault

Old
10-13-2010, 01:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
maybe but that opportunity shouldn't have existed in the first place.

Richardson coughed it up - most fault
D did a horrible job on the play - next most fault
Kurrilino will somehow blame stoll- we'll give him some fault
Quick's rebound-next most fault
You weren't supposed to agree with that!!!

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

I have CRS disease, but didn't

Richardson - Handzus - Brown

skate briefly together last season and look pretty decent?
I'm sure they did at some point.. lol! But seriously, I think that might have happened when Smyth was hurt but I'm not positive. It might have been Richardson-Stoll-Brown.

Richardson is awesome. You can put that guy on any line. The only place he looks a little out of place is the top line because he doesn't seem to have that finishing ability but he always keeps his legs moving.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote