HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bottom 6 - Martin's Rationale for Lines

Old
10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
ScopeHockey

vCash: 500
Bottom 6 - Martin's Rationale for Lines

I have to say I don't understand the logic behind Eller being on Halpern's line. Well actually, I can think of 3 possible reasons that may explain Martin's line composition in the bottom 6:
-Martin wants Eller to play with Halpern so that he can benefit from his mentoring/experience.
-Martin really likes the Moen-Boyd-Pyatt line and doesn't want to dismantle it.
-With Darche out of the lineup, Moen and Halpern are the 2 slowest guys in our bottom 6. He wants them on separate lines.

If it were up to me, Eller would play with Boyd because his skills will be showcased more with a center with some offensive skill like Boyd. Lapierre would be the RW on that line, or Eller would play RW and Moen LW.
Eller-Boyd-Lapierre
OR
Moen-Boyd-Eller (if Martin wants Moen's experience and defensive awareness over Lapierre's energy to balance out the lines).

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I have to say I don't understand the logic behind Eller being on Halpern's line. Well actually, I can think of 3 possible reasons that may explain Martin's line composition in the bottom 6:
-Martin wants Eller to play with Halpern so that he can benefit from his mentoring/experience.
-Martin really likes the Moen-Boyd-Pyatt line and doesn't want to dismantle it.
-With Darche out of the lineup, Moen and Halpern are the 2 slowest guys in our bottom 6. He wants them on separate lines.

If it were up to me, Eller would play with Boyd because his skills will be showcased more with a center with some offensive skill like Boyd. Lapierre would be the RW on that line, or Eller would play RW and Moen LW.
Eller-Boyd-Lapierre
OR
Moen-Boyd-Eller (if Martin wants Moen's experience and defensive awareness over Lapierre's energy to balance out the lines).
maybe hes trying to spread out the speed? Moen and Halpern on the same line would have no real speed. Halpern has Lappy and Eller to compensate

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Considering Halpern has been pretty good so far and has the 3rd best face-off percentage in the league so far, Martin can't justify sticking him on the fourth line. Nor could he justify sticking Eller in the 4th line center spot, hence why they're on the same line. Rest assured, as soon as Pouliot or AK46 struggle, Eller's gonna be moved onto the top six.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:55 AM
alexstream

there is no rationale. he goes with whatever works.

Boyd and Halper are more experienced (and hence, better) at center for now. so Eller really is like the 12th forward on the team. they put him wherever needed, untill it really clicks elsewhere and they are "forced" by his performances to leave him there.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
there is no rationale. he goes with whatever works.

Boyd and Halper are more experienced (and hence, better) at center for now. so Eller really is like the 12th forward on the team. they put him wherever needed, untill it really clicks elsewhere and they are "forced" by his performances to leave him there.
Isn't that a rationale in itself?

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Lucius

Honestly, if it were me, I'd have the following line:

Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais

....in Hamilton.

I like Eller, I think he'll be good, but it seems clear he's just on the team right now for PR reasons. The kid could use some time to find his game, and let the furor over Halak/Price die down as these things naturally do. Too much pressure keeping him up right now.

Then let White/Darche handle the 12th/13th role.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:01 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Pouliot-Eller-AK mark my words!

JHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Pouliot-Eller-AK mark my words!
Not going to happen anytime soon.

Who would play on the top two lines exactly?

Cammy-Plex-?
?-Gomez-Gionta

Lapierre? Those are the only three guys on the team capable of filling those two top six slots, so playing them together would just give us three mediocre scoring lines instead of two decent ones.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Honestly, if it were me, I'd have the following line:

Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais

....in Hamilton.

I like Eller, I think he'll be good, but it seems clear he's just on the team right now for PR reasons. The kid could use some time to find his game, and let the furor over Halak/Price die down as these things naturally do. Too much pressure keeping him up right now.

Then let White/Darche handle the 12th/13th role.

I agree 100% with you....but since you didn't say that Eller is a star and should play on the top 2 lines.....you are going to be torn apart in here by the no-nothings.

As far as I'm concerned....since rushing Price to the NHL hasn't worked out, there is no reason to rush any of our other prospects either....it just doesn't help in the pressure-packed city of Montreal. Prospects need to build confidence in the minors before making the jump to the NHL. When they are ready for NHL hockey, they will show it and make the team because its obvious they are ready. Its not obvious that Eller is ready yet. I'm willing to give the guy a good chance, but i won't be surprised if he doesn't stay with the Habs all season.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
I agree 100% with you....but since you didn't say that Eller is a star and should play on the top 2 lines.....you are going to be torn apart in here by the no-nothings.

As far as I'm concerned....since rushing Price to the NHL hasn't worked out, there is no reason to rush any of our other prospects either....it just doesn't help in the pressure-packed city of Montreal. Prospects need to build confidence in the minors before making the jump to the NHL. When they are ready for NHL hockey, they will show it and make the team because its obvious they are ready. Its not obvious that Eller is ready yet. I'm willing to give the guy a good chance, but i won't be surprised if he doesn't stay with the Habs all season.
I don't think they're rushing him, exactly. He had the same time in the AHL that Subban did. I just think Eller is better suited to being Top 3 in AHL, then jumping to Top 6 in NHL in a year, rather than toiling away on the 4th line and letting the idiots have a chance to line up and whine "Eller only had 23 points this year and we traded Halak for him! FIRE EVERYONE!!"

Old
10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Halpern isn't the toughest guy, but he will stand up for his teammates, so it also gives Eller some protection and helps him get better at faceoffs. Halpern is pretty good at those.

People may not think it, but Lapierre is more than likely to stand up for a teammate than himself.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote