HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You guys are obsessed with Halak!

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
I know I'm going to take a lot of flak for saying this...but I think any serviceable goalie could have back stopped us to the conference finals.
You make it sound like we're the Flyers :S

Old
10-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire212 View Post
that is cute! but its passed tense what i never understood why they didn't keep both goalies i am sure they can afford them both
Honestly, it was a no-win situation for them. If they hold onto Halak and he slumps it's too late to deal him. If they hold onto him and he does well Price's value drops...

They made the assessment that Price was the right choice. We can debate this forever but I can at least understand why they decided to deal Halak.

I do think the return on him was lower than what I would've expected though. The reviews on Eller are really mixed but from what I've heard he's projected as a 2nd line center. I'm not sure that it made sense to unload Halak for that small a return as I honestly think he's worth more than that... Anyways it is what it is. We've got a terrific young goalie and hopefully he survives the scrutiny. If we lose him, it will be a huge loss.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Naw, they decided to sign Jeff Halpern and send White to the minors instead...
White makes more than Halpern.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
McNuts

I really hope Eller becomes as good as gangsta Pleks and Price keeps improving his game so that all the *****es stop crying over Halak.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm not sure that it made sense to unload Halak for that small a return as I honestly think he's worth more than that...
Is there a single example of a goalie who has been traded for more since the lockout?

Old
10-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
Is there a single example of a goalie who has been traded for more since the lockout?
I can't think of a single example of a goalie coming off a season like the one Halak had where he was traded immediately after, can you?

Old
10-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
White makes more than Halpern.
Well **** on me, I thought Halpern was making more, carry on!

Old
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
I really don't see what's so bad about this guy making the trip to St.Louis to see Halak play. I know it flies under many of our resident hockey elitists' heads, but Halak has made a major impression after our run last year and like it or not, people won't forget about it just because he was traded. I'm definitely still a fan of Halak, just not when he's gonna play us.

I probably wouldn't have made such a silly sign, but really, the guy doesn't deserve the hate he's getting.
I personally don't see anything wrong with that, as I plan on taking a trip to Anaheim later in the season to watch Koivu play. Though I find this funny, I can see how others wouldn't like it. It's one thing to support a former Habs player. It's quite another to take a shot at a current one (Price) while doing so.

Old
10-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

At least I know what Nate looks like now.

I always pictured him looking like Miley Cyrus.

Old
10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire212 View Post
that is cute! but its passed tense what i never understood why they didn't keep both goalies i am sure they can afford them both
My understanding is one of them had to go, or we wouldn't have been able to re-sign Plekanec. I haven't looked at our cap numbers for awhile, so I don't know if it was possible to keep both and re-sign Pleks. Without altering the makeup of our current roster in a drastic way.

Old
10-13-2010, 01:04 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
My understanding is one of them had to go, or we wouldn't have been able to re-sign Plekanec. I haven't looked at our cap numbers for awhile, so I don't know if it was possible to keep both and re-sign Pleks. Without altering the makeup of our current roster in a drastic way.
that and if you listen to post halak trade interview of PG he clearly stated that neither goalie wanted to be in same situation as last year.

Old
10-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
I can't think of a single example of a goalie coming off a season like the one Halak had where he was traded immediately after, can you?
Not quite the same, but how about this one:

Halak:
2009-10 Montreal NHL 45 26 13 5 2.40 .924

Vokoun:
2006-07 Nashville NHL 44 27 12 4 2.40 .920

Nashville Predators traded Tomas Vokoun to the Florida Panthers for a 2nd round selection in 2007, a 1st round selection in 2008 and a conditional 2nd round selection in either 2007 or 2008.

In my opinion Vokoun was a more established goalie at the time of the trade than Halak. Halak essentially got us a 1st and a 3rd.

Obviously the playoff runs weren't the same, but it's a comparable.

Old
10-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
that and if you listen to post halak trade interview of PG he clearly stated that neither goalie wanted to be in same situation as last year.
I hadn't heard that, but it makes a lot of sense. I know if I were Price or Halak, I wouldn't have been comfortable with the way things were.

Old
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Luongo or what that before / during the lockout?

Old
10-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Knuckles30

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Luongo or what that before / during the lockout?
Yup, that's the only other one I can think of... However Luongo was widely considered a top 3 goalie in the league, so I'm not sure it's a good comparable.

Old
10-13-2010, 03:28 PM
vampire212

Quote:
Honestly, it was a no-win situation for them. If they hold onto Halak and he slumps it's too late to deal him. If they hold onto him and he does well Price's value drops...

They made the assessment that Price was the right choice. We can debate this forever but I can at least understand why they decided to deal Halak.

I do think the return on him was lower than what I would've expected though. The reviews on Eller are really mixed but from what I've heard he's projected as a 2nd line center. I'm not sure that it made sense to unload Halak for that small a return as I honestly think he's worth more than that... Anyways it is what it is. We've got a terrific young goalie and hopefully he survives the scrutiny. If we lose him, it will be a huge loss.
i agree i was expecting something good in return for halak. i stand behind price and management choices.. i find since his injury his overall play been dropped slightly but he a young goalie and given the 2 years difference of him and halak i still think he the right choice for habs.. he just need confidence and a team infront that supports him with goals and defence. and not let out to hang

Quote:
i could find reasons not to resign useless pleks but thats besides i find what they pay him we could get 100% better center and more of a playoff type then pleks who vanishes in the playoffs every year..
but thats management, i just wish they get rid of martin and his boring past style of gameplay..

Old
10-13-2010, 03:31 PM
smon

Had to trade one of them. So Halak at value peak wasn't a bad idea, Eller is a good prospect. But obviously the entire deal hinges on Price's play. If Price does not became a great goalie, and Halak remains a good or even great one, we'll hear about this forever.

Old
10-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Oshie74 View Post

Not trying to troll here, just thought this was funny!

Old
10-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Naw, they decided to sign Jeff Halpern and send White to the minors instead...
two birds with one stone..

I know this doesn't apply here.

Old
10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
chillmat

Quote:
It's one thing to support a former Habs player. It's quite another to take a shot at a current one (Price) while doing so.
What else can I say?
The worst in this is that the guy has a Habs t-shirt...

Old
10-13-2010, 04:03 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
I'm a Hab fan first and foremost and I am behind Price no matter what happens...

So, when are you going to start showing it?

Old
10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
I have no intentions on cheering for the Blues or becoming a Blues fan just because Halak is playing there now....but I still plan to keep an eye on Halak when I can and watching to see if he can continue to be a solid #1 goalie in the NHL. I'm a Hab fan first and foremost and I am behind Price no matter what happens...but I'm not going to forget Halak and the way he lead the Habs to the Conference Finals and the best showing in the playoffs since 1993....and you guys shouldn't either.
didnt know you felt that close to him

Old
10-13-2010, 04:43 PM
MrNasty

Quote:
I have actually seen much worse. Instead of trading them they have signed them to enormous contracts and regretted it. Jim Carey and Tim Thomas come to mind. I am sure there are others.

Not saying this is the case with Halak but they sold him when he was at his highest value.

Old
10-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Luongo was far more established and was more a sure value when he got traded, for less IMO.

Mike Vernon got traded by Detroit after they won the cup. The return wasn't as good as what we received, seemingly.

One should wait till Lars Eller hits his prime, and if he's still with the Habs by that time, to fully weight the pros and cons of that trade.

But no matter how you put it, this was one of the best returns for a goalie in the post-lockout era.

Old
10-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Luongo was far more established and was more a sure value when he got traded, for less IMO.
It was a terrible trade for Florida for sure. That being said, they did get Bertuzzi who was an established star at the time and three other players. Even with the rip-off that it would go on to become there's no way what we got was as good as what Florida thought it was receiving at the time.
Quote:
Mike Vernon got traded by Detroit after they won the cup. The return wasn't as good as what we received, seemingly.
I never considered Vernon to be that great with the Wings. They were such a powerhouse I didn't think that he really warranted a great return. He was also much older than Halak was and he was being dumped by the Cup Champs... I don't see how he would really warrant that great a return. I'd much rather take a chance on a younger player with upside coming off a great season.

Quote:
One should wait till Lars Eller hits his prime, and if he's still with the Habs by that time, to fully weight the pros and cons of that trade.

But no matter how you put it, this was one of the best returns for a goalie in the post-lockout era.
The only example that really seems comparable is the Vokoun one and he garnered three picks from a team that wasn't really all that great.
We got a player who's marked with 2nd line potential.

As I said above, I understand why they did it (it was no win) but I think I probably would've held on to both guys instead.

Closed Thread