HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs or lottery pick?

View Poll Results: Playoffs or lottery pick, what do you want?
Playoffs, I agree with Oscar 36 63.16%
Lottery pick... this franchise needs true core players 21 36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Playoffs or lottery pick?

What would you rather have?

-

I gotta be honest and say that I much rather see us making the playoffs than having a terrible season and pick early.
This team needs to start winning now and snap that embarrasing no-playoff streak, or hockey will forever be forgotten in South Florida.

This fanbase cannot wait for another three years.

I know the discussion about us getting a true scorer/legit 1st liner etc. but we're on a good way with the prospects we have already.

Playoffs would IMO be much more important to this hockey club.

Panthers607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 05:53 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Next poll: The sky is blue, yes or no?

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Next poll: The sky is blue, yes or no?
Are you being funny here?

Sry, not so much.

Panthers607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:00 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Are you being funny here?

Sry, not so much.
Yes I was. Truth of the matter is this line-up blows. I would be beside myself if a team with the top line of Booth, Weiss, and Frolik made the playoffs. I'm being patient and realistic while rebuilding. I've loved this team their whole existence. I just hope this wait works out better than all the other waits.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:02 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

If the Panthers make the playoffs this year, it will most likely be a fluke. I'd rather they get 1st or 2nd overall because it will help the team much more in the long run. Yes, you could argue they can get some playoff experience, but is one round's worth of playoff experience worth more than the best or second best player in the draft? I'd say absolutely not. In my view, the Panthers fanbase has already or very nearly bottomed out, so I don't think playoffs this year is crucial in that aspect.

The prospects we have are good, but we don't have any players who look like they can really take over a game offensively. I think getting that type of player will go a long ways to helping the team be a consistent threat in the future.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Hockey won't be forgotten in South Florida. After a decade, if all the diehards that are left can wait that long, then they can wait another year or two.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I wish this poll would have been made before we actually played well in 2 games. I think those two games are exceptions to how well we will look this season, but maybe I'm wrong.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:26 PM
RainingRats

Getting into the playoffs and losing in the first round is pretty worthless. If we made it to the conference championship then I would say playoffs but getting in wont do much. Another top 3 pick plus the other picks and prospects we will acquire will give us a much better chance of building a competitive team that will compete in the playoffs for many years. Pretty much all the teams that are competitive year in and year out got their elite talent through the draft.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I wish this poll would have been made before we actually played well in 2 games. I think those two games are exceptions to how well we will look this season, but maybe I'm wrong.
Toronto is 2-0.

The Devils are 0-2-1.

I really think people are putting too much emphasis on these first couple games. Not only Panthers fans, but fans in general. Obviously they are relevant, but to extrapolate the entire season based on two or three games...it seems a tad bit silly, to me. If anything, the first couple games showed that the Panthers may lack the offensive prowess required to make the playoffs and do well in the playoffs.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
We may have played well, but we still couldn't hit water if we fell out of a boat. This team as predicted is showing so far that it can't score at all.

Dread Clawz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Toronto is 2-0.

The Devils are 0-2-1.

I really think people are putting too much emphasis on these first couple games. Not only Panthers fans, but fans in general. Obviously they are relevant, but to extrapolate the entire season based on two or three games...it seems a tad bit silly, to me. If anything, the first couple games showed that the Panthers may lack the offensive prowess required to make the playoffs and do well in the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
We may have played well, but we still couldn't hit water if we fell out of a boat. This team as predicted is showing so far that it can't score at all.
My thoughts exactly. However, I think some people look at the two games and say "we out played Edmonton" and "we outshot Vancouver" or something of the sort. I think many people here still drink the koolaid and try to rationalize with our performances incorrectly.

We still have a lot of holes talent wise. I think this year, we could very well be one of the most well coached (go ahead and disagree with me if you want), hardest working, but most under talented teams in the league. We need draft picks to get that talent level up.

Old
10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

While getting another high pick would hopefully do wonders for the future of this organization, making the playoffs IMO beats out anything else for the fanbase and the moral of the players in general even if it is a first round exit. I have been very impressed with the play in the first two games despite losing both games and if it continues, they make have a slight chance at making it interesting to slip into the 8th spot. However, I still see it as incredibly unlikely because down the stretch. I think we'll have a good deal of games where they'll look flat the entire game and get blown out.

The way I'm viewing this season is that if they can try to make a run for the playoffs, that's great, but if like last season by February seem like it's impossible, I won't be too upset either. I'd just be upset if they finished 9th or 10th and lost out on Larsson or Coutiuer. Unfortunately, most of the fanbase don't know the team as well as we all do here and don't know Tallon's re-building process. They expect a playoff run every season and if it doesn't happen, that's considered pathetic.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
I'll always hope for playoffs, they'll always mean more to me than a high pick. But I think we all know the reality, it's been the reality for 10 years, that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 07:04 PM
panthersfan751

Playoffs without question.

It was bad enough sitting through last year as a STH. If I had a choice, I don't want to sit through a 70 point season this year with us struggling to score 2 goals a game, even if it does land us Couturier.

Had we made the playoffs recently, then maybe this answer would be different, but after 10 years, this market needs to see playoff hockey desperately. Normally a 1st round exit wouldn't mean much, but in this case, I think we need a playoff appearance even if it's a 1st round sweep.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Sports24-7

I voted playoffs, but as long as it's one or the other it's a successful season for the franchise. We absolutely can't afford another 9th-11th place finish. Getting a young stud face of the franchise type player would be huge, but a playoff run would energize the fan base.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 08:09 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Since this poll is all about want, and not about reality, it's playoffs, and there's no question. Of course, part of that talking is the STH, but the other part is the fact that I haven't been to a playoff game since I was 11. I still watch youtube videos of us killing Boston in game one of the 96 playoffs. I want the atmosphere. The team needs to win. It will help attract free agents, to see that the culture is turning around.

A lottery pick guarantees us nothing. We could draft a bust. He could get injured. Dynasties DO NOT last in the NHL anymore, unless we land the next Ovie or Crosby, which isn't happening. Add another couple of lottery picks - great, until they all are due for raises at the same time and we're back to the drawing board.

I'm sick of being a laughing stock and tired of being the butt end of every joke that has to do with bad hockey. Playoffs is the only way to turn that around. With the dream team in Miami, the only way we're going to get ANY attention is to be successful. Win, and the people will come.

I don't think there should be a Panther fan, after 10 years of the same garbage, that would literally turn down a playoff spot, if it was offered to them (which is the purpose of this poll). Just my personal opinion of course.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Hip to be Square

Barely make the playoffs, get bounced in the 1st round and then we're back to square one again. No respect.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:18 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip to be Square View Post
Barely make the playoffs, get bounced in the 1st round and then we're back to square one again. No respect.
The playoff drought ends which helps a lot of things. All of a sudden, Dale Tallon is here, the Panthers have made the playoffs in his first year and have some solid prospects waiting in the wings. It becomes a more attractive destination for free agents and the culture begins to change.

Plus, the experience to the players would be invaluable, as well as for the fans.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 12:12 AM
gizmo12688

I want to make the playoffs of course, but getting a top 3 pick again could really help solidify this team in the long run. After 10 games, we'll get a better glimpse on which route the team is heading for this season.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:01 AM
Gudbranson44

lets wait how things look in december/january before we make up our minds about how good/bad this team is.
acc. to me we have played 2 games so far, the first one against edmonton we totally dominated but the puck just wouldnt bounce our way. that happens sometimes and I think everyone who has played sports knows that. plus the ref must have been high or something for allowing that last goal...
the second game against the nucks (who many predict as a solid contender this season) we played very well also. we had more shots on goal, but they have the edge when it comes to talent.

if we can keep this style of play up and get those lucky bounces im certain we have a shot at making the playoffs.

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:27 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Without even thinking twice about it, I would take the #1 pick in this years draft. MANY things would have to go right in order for us to make the playoffs this season. Regardless, we cant just make the playoffs just to make it. Our goal shouldnt be to just make the playoffs, but the way some sound here, its ok just to make the playoffs, since we havent been there in so long. That sounds awfully similar to what the Thrashers went through a few seasons ago when they got in. And what happened after they got in, and since then? Nothing.

We arent a player away from making the playoffs, or two for that matter, we are in a rebuild. The only way we could have made the playoffs this season is if Tallon went out over the past summer, and signed some top tier free agents, which we all know is/was not going to happen. We are going to be built through the draft, and when the time comes for Tallon to go out and add those complimentary veteran players, then he will dip into free agency, but again, not at the top tier price. Our primary players are going to have to come from trades and the draft. That is why I think its so important that we grab a Couturier, Larsson, or Hopkins, because they are all top line/pairing talents. These guys can step into the league right away and contribute, like a Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, etc. And unlike our current top forward prospects, ie. Bjugstad, Howden, McFarland, etc., Hopkins and Couturier are projected to be top line talents. Add a Hopkins or Couturier up front, and see what we can get during next summers free agency, and now we can talk about having a respectable offense. I just think this is a MUCH smarter approach to reaching our goal, which is winning a Stanley Cup, not JUST making the playoffs.

Of course I want to see this team play hockey in late April and May, but not if its going to be tough to get their every season. With another good draft next summer, we will be in a position to be a playoff team for years to come, and not just a low seed at that. We have a good core of talented prospects at the moment, which could turn into a great core with a Larsson/Couturier/Hopkins. I can wait one or two more seasons because I know what could be.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Rattrick

Well said PB. I'll add one thing to your post.

Our best prospects won't add what we really need to our roster.

Markstrom will hopefully be an elite goalie, but we already have one of those. We can hope and pray that he's a lateral move.

Gudbranson will hopefully be a top pairing, physical shutdown defenseman with some offense to chip in. If he and Kuli pan out, we should have some players on the back end.

BUT, we will have very little in terms of top end offensive players on the front end -- and that's why this team needs a lottery pick. Hopefully #1 or #2.

Old
10-14-2010, 08:59 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Well said PB. I'll add one thing to your post.

Our best prospects won't add what we really need to our roster.

Markstrom will hopefully be an elite goalie, but we already have one of those. We can hope and pray that he's a lateral move.

Gudbranson will hopefully be a top pairing, physical shutdown defenseman with some offense to chip in. If he and Kuli pan out, we should have some players on the back end.

BUT, we will have very little in terms of top end offensive players on the front end -- and that's why this team needs a lottery pick. Hopefully #1 or #2.
I think we are pretty set as a future playoff team right now. The way the forwards are right now, and in the next couple of years are:

Booth
Weiss
Frolik
Bjugstad
McFarland
Howden
Repik
Matthias
Repik
Dadanov

There are a lot of 2nd line players on the list, which isnt a bad thing. Some might not reach that potential, but they should fill out the roster nicely. What we need is that top tier forward, someone who can be that go to guy, which is why we need Couturier or Hopkins.

The defense is a different story. I think we will have a very good defense in the future, and adding Larsson is more of a plus, rather than a necessity. He is a great Dman prospect, but with guys like Guds, Kuli, Robak, Ellerby, Garisson, and Petrovic, and with the lack of top end talent at forward, we really need to go offensive if we were to land the top pick. It would really be hard to pass up Larsson though. Just imagine our back end being:

Larsson - Guds
Kulikov - Robak
Petrovic - Ellerby/Garisson

Markstrom

I would be fine with the #2 pick in the draft, if that means losing out on Larsson. Reason being is that it would really be between two forwards, and Tallon wouldnt have that option of going with Larsson. We still have to wait and see what goes on with these top prospects this year, as players tend to rise and fall, even though I still think that Larsson, Couturier, and Hopkins will still be top five picks next summer. Maybe MR and J17 can post their thoughts on this.

Last edited by pb1300: 10-14-2010 at 09:07 AM.
pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:04 AM
gizmo12688

I think the key this season is to try to get another 1st round pick at the trade deadline. Does Vokoun get us that pick alone?

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:07 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
Yes I was. Truth of the matter is this line-up blows. I would be beside myself if a team with the top line of Booth, Weiss, and Frolik made the playoffs. I'm being patient and realistic while rebuilding. I've loved this team their whole existence. I just hope this wait works out better than all the other waits.
The lineup blows, but the real question is: are the prospects in the Panthers' system good enough to form a solid core that can contend for the Cup in the future, or do we need to add another marquis player by tanking? i.e. bag the notion of a playoff appearance even if the team proves able to carry it off and just go for the high pick?