HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Playoffs or lottery pick?

View Poll Results: Playoffs or lottery pick, what do you want?
Playoffs, I agree with Oscar 36 63.16%
Lottery pick... this franchise needs true core players 21 36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-14-2010, 07:36 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Well, just because he's not an instant NHLer doesn't mean he wasn't the right pick. Also, we don't know what happened in the negotiations. Everyone assumes the Panthers cheaped out but no one considers that Gud asked for too much.
Well, if a player and team can't come to terms, what reason could it be other than player wants too much and team doesn't want to pay?

...but again I've never seen him play. I don't count the grainy online stream that lasted 4 minutes. Couldn't tell any new players apart. :-/
Shouldn't you be telling me if he was or wasn't the right guy??

Wait, we didn't lose rights to him, did we?

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Well, if a player and team can't come to terms, what reason could it be other than player wants too much and team doesn't want to pay?

...but again I've never seen him play. I don't count the grainy online stream that lasted 4 minutes. Couldn't tell any new players apart. :-/

No, He wouldn't go back into the draft unless he remained unsigned through June 1, 2012 (I think .. Not positive on the exact date).

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
A top pick. Basically for the reasons you already stated. I don't want to become the next Atlanta Thrashers. It's clear that, even if by some miracle we sneak into the playoffs this season, in all likelihood we'll get quickly dismissed once we do. That really doesn't do anything for me at this point. That would have made me happy like 3 years ago. What I want to see is a team that is so deep and good that it is a consistent contender for the Cup year in and year out for many years. Adding another elite talent in the draft only makes that goal much more tangible.
How about 3 months ago?
Sure, NOW the Thrashhawks wouldn't make the difference...but before Campbell, Ballard, Oresko, Mac and Horton left...it would've been to add them.

Old
10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
No, He wouldn't go back into the draft unless he remained unsigned through June 1, 2012 (I think .. Not positive on the exact date).
Thank you sir....I find it hard to imagine wasting a #3.

Old
10-14-2010, 08:05 PM
305Pantera

We've invested enough money on early draft picks.

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Erick

Quote:

I know Tallon is doing all he really can, I blame Deboer for this team's blunder when I actually (this one's for Erick) MISS JACQUES MARTIN.
Why is that for me?

Erick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:35 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Why is that for me?
For some reason you stuck out in my mind for not liking Jacques Martin. LOL Sry if I'm wrong!!

Old
10-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Joe Thornton in Boston...then Joe Thornton in SJ...then playoff Joe.
My second favorite forward ever, Bure took us to a playoff with no wins. NO CHEMISTRY AMONGST THE TEAM. Barely successful.
I still have no idea about the styling of Couturier or Hopkins because you're too busy trying to make me look dumb to tell me about questions about them...or given the implication that you've even seen them yourself, you didn't say much besides 'they're an instant success'. I'd really like to know about them, from anyone that has seen em play.
Couturier- big center, good powerful skater, can lug the puck up ice like a horse, very tough to knock off the puck and excels at protecting the puck with his big frame. Plays to his size. Is like a locomotive, when he gets a head of steam, he's very tough to stop and gets to where he wants to go quickly. He's both a great goal scorer and passer, very balanced in that regard. He's so tough to contain because he can beat you in so many ways. Around the net, he's extremely tough to stop. He's also good defensively, led the QMJHL in +/- last season and is among the league leaders again this year. He'll be NHL ready next season.

Nugent-Hopkins- a center as well, but right now very slight of build even though he's a modest 6'0". However, that doesn't mean he shies away from physical contact. He won't, and he also initiates it sometimes. But he's very good at not getting hit. Very elusive, and his quickness makes him very hard to catch. A terrific skater, has great speed and agility. He can dance on his skates. He's also a premier stickhandler with spectacular puck skills. Has a sick pair of hands. He can make passes like few others can. A truly amazing passer. While he's also a very able goal scorer, he's definitely more of a playmaker and his game leans in that direction. He needs a lot of polishing up on his defensive game though. While skill wise he is certainly NHL ready or close to it, he might not jump in right away because of his size. He'll need to gain a lot of weight in the next year.

Quote:

I think he was the right guy, I was just assuming you'd seen him play.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 10:11 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Couturier- big center, good powerful skater, can lug the puck up ice like a horse, very tough to knock off the puck and excels at protecting the puck with his big frame. Plays to his size. Is like a locomotive, when he gets a head of steam, he's very tough to stop and gets to where he wants to go quickly. He's both a great goal scorer and passer, very balanced in that regard. He's so tough to contain because he can beat you in so many ways. Around the net, he's extremely tough to stop. He's also good defensively, led the QMJHL in +/- last season and is among the league leaders again this year. He'll be NHL ready next season.

Nugent-Hopkins- a center as well, but right now very slight of build even though he's a modest 6'0". However, that doesn't mean he shies away from physical contact. He won't, and he also initiates it sometimes. But he's very good at not getting hit. Very elusive, and his quickness makes him very hard to catch. A terrific skater, has great speed and agility. He can dance on his skates. He's also a premier stickhandler with spectacular puck skills. Has a sick pair of hands. He can make passes like few others can. A truly amazing passer. While he's also a very able goal scorer, he's definitely more of a playmaker and his game leans in that direction. He needs a lot of polishing up on his defensive game though. While skill wise he is certainly NHL ready or close to it, he might not jump in right away because of his size. He'll need to gain a lot of weight in the next year.
By that, Couturier it is.

Old
10-15-2010, 01:00 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Joe Thornton in Boston...then Joe Thornton in SJ...then playoff Joe.
My second favorite forward ever, Bure took us to a playoff with no wins. NO CHEMISTRY AMONGST THE TEAM. Barely successful.
I still have no idea about the styling of Couturier or Hopkins because you're too busy trying to make me look dumb to tell me about questions about them...or given the implication that you've even seen them yourself, you didn't say much besides 'they're an instant success'. I'd really like to know about them, from anyone that has seen em play.

Yes, I know they're two different drafts. That why a high number pick isn't always something to base the season's goal on.
..and what if we don't finish dead last? What do we get if we don't tank right again (We could have easily made playoffs OR had Seguin last year. Neither happened.)

Chistov and Svitov. How about Hemsky?
Wait til EDM stops playing turtle.
Hemsky was picked 13th in that draft, I believe. No GM would have chosen him 4th overall. Weiss was the best player available at our pick, so whats the problem? Drafts never have the same talent, or depth, so what you may get at 4 one year, you could get at 9 or 10 another year. You make it sound like since two players are worlds apart, but were picked 3rd and 4th respectively, they should be comparible, which clearly is not the case.

Quote:
Bold, no clue what you're trying to say...not that you would take it from me, but this team has undergone 3 completely different looks since I've been here.
We don't have the funds? There have been stretches of the season where we'd start winning and playoffs look possible, and the place fills. (and not playing a Canadian team) Then stuff changes, decisions are made, and they slump and back to half full.
I know nothing about this team, this product. Right again.
I know Tallon is doing all he really can, I blame Deboer for this team's blunder when I actually (this one's for Erick) MISS JACQUES MARTIN.
We had a contender in a balls match/playoff setting on December 21, 2009...and Booth wasn't even playing. Why that line-up changed is beyond me. With exception to the returning injured, that team playing like they cared should've kept that balls to the walls mentality for about 3 1/2 more months. We could've made it, people would've shown, we wouldn't worry about maxing ourselves out at half the cap.
You are nitpicking now. This team has been competitive for a handful of months over the past decade, nothing more. We were competitive for a few months two years ago, which resulted in us losing a tiebreaker. This team needs this rebuild in order to sustain long term success. Regardless though, I cant understand what this means. It just seems that you are picking things out to be mad at.

Quote:
Carlin would have a field day with you. How can anyone play over their ability? Maybe at the top of his ability...but not over...the top of his ability made me watch him
Put him with Garrison for more than a total of 20 minutes last year, and his contract wouldn't have been an issue.

Bold, you wouldn't know it if you saw it....the inside of an arena that is.
(Mods please lay off, needs to be said)
Money must grow on trees for you or you've never been a season seat holder. Maybe both.
Teams thrive on season seat holders. To be a season seat holder, you have to pay money. To have money, you have to work. I could've used that money for other things and watched on TV like you. Oh stupid me again, spending money on things I have no clue of...???????? What am I doing spending so much time on a hockey forum?
Unquestionably, STHers see more of their team from a better standpoint than you or any other who can only see half a zone at a time for the better part of the year. We sure as hell paid for it. (something some here don't even try to understand when a different POV comes along).
Prove it? When I see the whole ice, you see half a zone. That was easy. When I see what Ballard tried passing to, the camera wasn't quick enough or wasn't focused on the off camera cycling (or standing still in many cases). Since you obviously don't like Ballard as much as I do, it'd also be fair to say you haven't paid extra special attention to him, and you're not able to fairly explain why he may or may not be good on a given night.

Not because I'm better than you or anyone else, but because I know I myself can see and explain more live than when I watch on TV.

Unlike some here, I wouldn't presume OR pretend to know as much about things I know someone else has seen more of. I'll ask, it's why I'm here: to try and exchange knowledge. NOT TO IMPRESS YOU AND SEEM KNOWLEDGEABLE FOR IMAGE'S SAKE, OR TRY TO MAKE OTHERS FEEL DUMB, but because I've lived hockey since I was 7 1/2, collecting cards, games, road trips to see games and share it all with people like me...but I sure ain't here to have AN EXPERT LIKE YOU tell me I don't know what I'm looking at.

All I'm saying is that the knowledgeable, analytical fan at the game can catch a better grasp of why certain things happen than the knowledgeable, analytical fan watching at home. (Both parties still knowledgable).
Similar, you're probably the type that thinks you're being labeled as stupid when called ignorant. Nor could you admit it when you are.

...see what your unfriendly tone did? Made me post an essay. I hate essays.
I don't mean to offend if I did, just defend. Read our above back/forths, you should see.
Now no more unfriendly. Cheers and beers. Please.
Dude, I was a season ticket holder nine years for the Panthers, over 10 years if you count the last 1 1/2 seasons that I had them, in which my parents went, so I know quite well what the inside of Bank Atlantic Center looks like (409 3w seats 6-7-8 just so you know). Or the St Pete Forums for that matter. Or Madison Square Garden too. I can go on. Ive lived hockey since I was born, growing up in Brooklyn, during the late Potvin/Islanders years. So you might want to edit out the things you say about me not being able to see this, or see that, because I am not a season seat owner, and just watch it on tv I was there in 96 when Lindsay had "the" goal. I waited on line from 1 in the morning to get tickets to the SC Finals, and was jipped out of them because of some stupid lottery at the end. I was there, 41 games, when we had 60 point seasons, 70 point seasons, etc. So dont give me this crap about not being "at the games" to know what Im talking about, or see something that you see completely different.

Last edited by pb1300: 10-15-2010 at 03:06 AM.
pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:42 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

IMO playoffs is more important at this time, that would bring back more fans and more media. We could really need one of Larsson, Courturier or RNH, but there are alot of other good players out there for the draft. It isn't always the top 3 that become the best. Remember the 2003 draft that was supposed to be so great, maybe the greatest of them all: Ryan Getzlaf was picked 19th overall. And Parise was number 17. Mike Richards number 24. But the higher pick, the more safe pick I guess.

I'd like a player like Peumple, but I doubt we make the playoffs and be able to draft him at the same time.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:56 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
IMO playoffs is more important at this time, that would bring back more fans and more media. We could really need one of Larsson, Courturier or RNH, but there are alot of other good players out there for the draft. It isn't always the top 3 that become the best. Remember the 2003 draft that was supposed to be so great, maybe the greatest of them all: Ryan Getzlaf was picked 19th overall. And Parise was number 17. Mike Richards number 24. But the higher pick, the more safe pick I guess.

I'd like a player like Peumple, but I doubt we make the playoffs and be able to draft him at the same time.
We dont have the sustainable fire power to be a perennial playoff team. Why sacrifice years just to make the playoffs once? We need top flight talent in our system.

Old
10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
We dont have the sustainable fire power to be a perennial playoff team. Why sacrifice years just to make the playoffs once? We need top flight talent in our system.
Playoff experience/winning attitude is valuable.

Also:
1. There's no guarantee that either of those prospects become elite. For all we know, we could be tanking for another Horton, instead of Crosby/OV.
2. The playoffs in hockey are unpredictable. That's why many of us I think love this exciting sport so much. Anything can happen (just look at last year). Sometimes, a hot goaltender can carry an 8th seeded team to a deep run at the playoffs. Maybe we lack scoring, but considering we have an elite goalie, it's not impossible to think we can make a deep run at the playoffs, if we get in.

We're 3 games into the season, and the team has played well. I just don't see why we have to root for a tank so early. Also take into account that if the team is in a playoff race, I'm sure Tallon will make a move at the deadline to improve the scoring, somewhat.

Old
10-15-2010, 12:48 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:

Also:
1. There's no guarantee that either of those prospects become elite. For all we know, we could be tanking for another Horton, instead of Crosby/OV.
2. The playoffs in hockey are unpredictable. That's why many of us I think love this exciting sport so much. Anything can happen (just look at last year). Sometimes, a hot goaltender can carry an 8th seeded team to a deep run at the playoffs. Maybe we lack scoring, but considering we have an elite goalie, it's not impossible to think we can make a deep run at the playoffs, if we get in.

We're 3 games into the season, and the team has played well. I just don't see why we have to root for a tank so early. Also take into account that if the team is in a playoff race, I'm sure Tallon will make a move at the deadline to improve the scoring, somewhat.
This is a good point that isn't mentioned much. What if Couturier just turns out to be a 60-70 point player like Weiss? Is that worth a playoff berth to end this 10 year streak?

I just think this culture needs a change desperately. This fanbase and organization need to finally see the playoffs.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:04 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:

RNH has definitely been rising my draft boards. I had Couturier easily ahead of him going into last offseason, but now IMO they are almost neck and neck, with Couturier still holding the edge due to his size. With our luck we'll end up picking 4th from the best of the rest as usual.

Hopefully both can make team Canada so we get can a side by side comparison.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
RNH has definitely been rising my draft boards. I had Couturier easily ahead of him going into last offseason, but now IMO they are almost neck and neck, with Couturier still holding the edge due to his size. With our luck we'll end up picking 4th from the best of the rest as usual.

Even if we pick 4th, I've got no issue taking Matt Puempel.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 01:37 PM
NHLNUT04
HFBoards Sponsor

With a whole new system this team needs better players.

10-15-2010, 01:44 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:

Also:

Playoff experience and winning is valuable, but not if it comes at a price. That price would be us fighting for one of the last playoff spots every season. With another solid draft, including one of the big three, we would be fighting for the division title, and one of top spots in the East. We have a good pool of prospects, which can turn into a great pool of prospects if Tallon has another draft like he just did.

1. Im so tired of hear about Crosby and Ovechkin every time something like this topic is brought up. Will Hopkins and Couturier be a generational talent like Crosby and Ovie, no, probably not, but could Hopkins and Couturier be on the same level as Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, etc., absolutely. With the talent that we have in our system, we dont need a Crosby or Ovie to take us over the top, We just need some legitimate 1st line talent, which is what Hopkins and Couturier are.

2. Yes, anything can happen in the playoffs, ie. 96 Cats, last seasons Habs team, but we are not built for a long playoff run, that is quite evident. We have excellent goaltending, when Vokoun is on his game, and Clemmensen isnt between the pipes, an average defense, and a below average offense. Us playing the system, and working hard will only get us so far, we need to add more talent to this team, and the only way we will do that is through the draft, for the time being. Like I said earlier, I dont want us to be like the Thrashers, where they sell the farm to make it into the playoffs, do absolutely nothing when in, then have a hard time to get back to the playoffs since then. I want consistency from this team, not just one year of playoffs.

Im not in tank mode, not yet anyways, Im just going by what this threads topic was. I dont see this team making the playoffs, but the problem I think we could see is that I dont think we will be bad enough to warrant the top pick in the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
This is a good point that isn't mentioned much. What if Couturier just turns out to be a 60-70 point player like Weiss? Is that worth a playoff berth to end this 10 year streak?

I just think this culture needs a change desperately. This fanbase and organization need to finally see the playoffs.
Couturier looks to be like a Joe Thornton mold, with more scoring abilities. He is a big guy already, with lots of skill. I think you would be crazy not to want a guy like that centering your top line. Im not going to state the same thing over and over, but what is the point of making the playoffs this season if we, say at best, get ousted in the 2nd round? The few extra million dollars we would have made? I want to see us making it every year for the next decade, not once every couple/few years.

Quote:

Hopkins has been growing on me as well, but knowing that he is more of a playmaker, rather than sniper, makes me think twice. He has disgusting hands, and skill for that matter, but would Couturier's big frame, and scoring ability, suit us better? That is the question. One thing is for certain though, add Couturier, and we have some serious depth down the middle (him, Weiss, Bjugstad, McFarland, Matty, etc.). Regardless, I would be happy with either or.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Erick

Quote:
1. Im so tired of hear about Crosby and Ovechkin every time something like this topic is brought up. Will Hopkins and Couturier be a generational talent like Crosby and Ovie, no, probably not, but could Hopkins and Couturier be on the same level as Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, etc., absolutely. With the talent that we have in our system, we dont need a Crosby or Ovie to take us over the top, We just need some legitimate 1st line talent, which is what Hopkins and Couturier are.

2. Yes, anything can happen in the playoffs, ie. 96 Cats, last seasons Habs team, but we are not built for a long playoff run, that is quite evident. We have excellent goaltending, when Vokoun is on his game, and Clemmensen isnt between the pipes, an average defense, and a below average offense. Us playing the system, and working hard will only get us so far, we need to add more talent to this team, and the only way we will do that is through the draft, for the time being. Like I said earlier, I dont want us to be like the Thrashers, where they sell the farm to make it into the playoffs, do absolutely nothing when in, then have a hard time to get back to the playoffs since then. I want consistency from this team, not just one year of playoffs.

1. How do you know that those guys will be 1st line talents on the Panthers? I mean, if we're getting 1st line talent locks, then yes I'm all for tanking. But nobody knows that. Guys who haven't played at this level yet are just potential. Guys like Weiss and Horton were supposed to be franchise guys/1st line talents as well, at the slot they were drafted in. Instead they became 2nd line talents, and a guy like David Booth who didn't even go in the 1st round became just as good as they did. You never know with the draft.

2. How do we know that we're not built for a deep playoff run? 3 games into the season? Were the Habs built to be a deep playoff team last year? Was Phoenix built to be a high-seeded playoff team last year in the West? What's the difference? If the team buys into the system and can play it on a consistent basis (as they have for 3 games, thus far), anything is possible, especially when you have a goalie of Vokoun's caliber.

Old
10-15-2010, 02:21 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Because will will get a pick likely between 15-20 if we lose in one of the earlier rounds. You can get a decent prospect, we can trade up since we have two second round picks, we get playoff-experince and our games will get more fans.

I really want this " you haven't made the playoffs in 10 years" mark gone.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:01 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
1. How do you know that those guys will be 1st line talents on the Panthers? I mean, if we're getting 1st line talent locks, then yes I'm all for tanking. But nobody knows that. Guys who haven't played at this level yet are just potential. Guys like Weiss and Horton were supposed to be franchise guys/1st line talents as well, at the slot they were drafted in. Instead they became 2nd line talents, and a guy like David Booth who didn't even go in the 1st round became just as good as they did. You never know with the draft.

2. How do we know that we're not built for a deep playoff run? 3 games into the season? Were the Habs built to be a deep playoff team last year? Was Phoenix built to be a high-seeded playoff team last year in the West? What's the difference? If the team buys into the system and can play it on a consistent basis (as they have for 3 games, thus far), anything is possible, especially when you have a goalie of Vokoun's caliber.
Much more times than not, players picked at the top tend to be some type of prominent piece of their respective teams. You cant go into a draft thinking since Horton or Weiss didnt become top tier players, will player A or B become one? There is a reason why these guys who are picked at the top ARE picked at the top. You cant play the what if game when you are picking at 1 or 2.

The Weiss and Horton picks were just bad luck for us, nothing more. They didnt become 1st liners, but they didnt become busts for us either. But like I said, more times than not, top prospects become what they are projected to be. History proves that theory correct. When you have two guys as talented as Hopkins and Couturier, as well as Larsson, its fair to say that they have a better chance at becoming top line players, rather than anything else.

As far as the playoffs, I just dont see us doing anything, IF we were to get in, which I dont see happening. Again, we have an average defense and a below average group of forwards. We just arent built for a long playoff run, regardless if this team buys into the system 110%, for all 82 games. We will be a competitive team, which will hurt our spot in the draft, but I dont see this team competing for the last playoff spots, considering how some of the bottom teams from last year look much improved.

Who are we going to jump ahead of this year? Carolina looks much improved, as does Toronto and TB, which were three teams that didnt even make the playoffs last year. Then you have your perennial locks in Washington, Pitt, NJ, Philly, and probably Buffalo. Then you have other playoff contenders in the Sens, Bruins, Habs and maybe Rangers. Most of those teams have at least better offenses and defenses than us, so I just cant see making the playoffs with the little firepower that we have.

Old
10-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post

Yeah, but that was one of the best drafts ever. In most drafts, you are not going to get those kinds of draft picks that late. It was only because of the extraordinary depth of that draft that allowed those guys to fall.

Quote:

Yeah, basically for me Couturier has a slight edge because he's safer, although their upsides are probably very similar. Couturier to me though looks like almost a slam dunk to be a star in this league.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:03 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Even if we pick 4th, I've got no issue taking Matt Puempel.
I like a lot of the other top 10 guys in this draft (Puempel included), but there is a clear cut off after the top 3 IMO. Our luck seems to always put us just after the cut off when we pick high like the 01 draft with us being just outside kovalchuk/spezza range, the weak 02 draft, the 03 with no clear cut guys, or the 10 with us slotting in at 3.

I was thinking the other day how awesome it would be to snag both Couturier and RNH, but we'd have to do some serious trading. My fantasy scenario had us getting a boatload of picks from the deadline and using those and weiss to get another top 3 pick. Only Panther fans dream about the draft in October.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote