HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off topic: Anyone seen the documentary Supersize Me?

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Off topic: Anyone seen the documentary Supersize Me?

has anyone on here seen it? i saw it the other day and was told it was just okay, i found it to be mind blowing how many american are overweight and the relationship Mcdonald's plays in the mess (im vegetarian and have been for 7 years, so mcdonalds isnt a place i visit, ever). this movie will open your eyes to how america's youth are being brainwashed by mcdonalds from a young age to eat there, in a similar fashion that the camel cigarette was used to attract kids to smoking

this movie is excellent and funny while being somewhat disturbing as well, one of the best movies i have ever seen

Old
06-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Leetch

Don't be ridiculous. These kids aren't brainwashed. They should know that eating cheeseburgers and all that other crap isn't good for you. If they don't, shame on their parents. McDonalds is just a corporation trying to make money by selling food. Sure, it might be unhealthy, but it's a persons choice whether they want to eat it or not. They aren't lying to people and saying, "Come to McDonalds to eat healthy and lose weight." It's the peoples fault, not McDonalds.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I thought it was great. It seemed to me that Morgan Spurlock was martyring himself on screen a bit, but I learnt a lot, and I have to admit, I was shocked--especially what the kids ate at school!

It reminded me a bit of my freshman year roommate in college. He only ate Burger King or Taco Hell, every day. He was actually stick thin, but I think that was because there was no nutrition in his diet.

I think much more healthy was the attitude of another friend, who's policy was: "I go to McDonald's once a year, whether I need to or not."

Old
06-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch
Don't be ridiculous. These kids aren't brainwashed. They should know that eating cheeseburgers and all that other crap isn't good for you. If they don't, shame on their parents. McDonalds is just a corporation trying to make money by selling food. Sure, it might be unhealthy, but it's a persons choice whether they want to eat it or not. They aren't lying to people and saying, "Come to McDonalds to eat healthy and lose weight." It's the peoples fault, not McDonalds.
well maybe you need to see the movie. im not saying it is mcdonalds that causes people to be fat, however it is mcdonalds that tries to suck kids in at a young age and train them to eat there. mcdonalds is one of two fastfood chains to have a playarea for kids, they were the first with happy meals, they have birthday parties (which no other fastfood chain does), and they have ronald mcdonald who brings in kids and who now has his own cartoon show

and No, young children do not know how bad mcdonalds food is for you, its up to their parents to make the decision, however in an age where kids are being brought up by TV and the internet, they make these decisions for themselves at a younger age then ever before

Mcdonalds plays a huge part in the reason america is the fatest nation in the world, they have a total of 5 items on their menu that contain no fat, even their salads are something like 290 calories

also mcdonalds spends something like 600 million in advertising a year while there is about 2 million dollars spent a year combined in advertising for fruits and vegetables

the point is mcdonalds offers little in healthy alternatives, and they care little about their customers, they just care about making money

go see the movie and then talk to me

Old
06-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
I thought it was great. It seemed to me that Morgan Spurlock was martyring himself on screen a bit, but I learnt a lot, and I have to admit, I was shocked--especially what the kids ate at school!

It reminded me a bit of my freshman year roommate in college. He only ate Burger King or Taco Hell, every day. He was actually stick thin, but I think that was because there was no nutrition in his diet.

I think much more healthy was the attitude of another friend, who's policy was: "I go to McDonald's once a year, whether I need to or not."
ill agree 007, morgan was defintely martyring himself, however it was for a good cause and quite informative

seeing what kids ate today was pretty disturbing as well

Old
06-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
What was disturbing to me was not the McDonald's stuff so much as the part about what sodexho was selling kids at school. The kids had no supervision, and had only fries or pizza and soda for lunch.

Any of you guys who are parents would do well to contact your school boards and inquire about what's being served in the cafeteria. The film showed that getting healthy food for kids at school doesn't cost any more.

Old
06-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
What was disturbing to me was not the McDonald's stuff so much as the part about what sodexho was selling kids at school. The kids had no supervision, and had only fries or pizza and soda for lunch.

Any of you guys who are parents would do well to contact your school boards and inquire about what's being served in the cafeteria. The film showed that getting healthy food for kids at school doesn't cost any more.
they didnt have soda in my high school when i was a kid, and i loved how the lemonade was just as bad as soda and the lunchlady tried to act like she had no clue

the school for the kids with discipline problems that served no sugar all organic foods, had the right idea, notice the kids had calmed down, its a pretty obvious connection

Old
06-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Leetch

They aren't marketing healthy food. People know what they're getting into when they eat McDonalds food. If they wanted to eat healthy, they wouldn't be going to a fast food joint. You probably agreed with that lawsuit where that african american kid sued McDonalds for getting fat, didn't you? The reason McDonalds is popular among youths is because the food is cheap and kids have a low budget. When they get hungry, they want something cheap and tasty. Is that wrong? Sure, but that's the mentality.

Old
06-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
They aren't marketing healthy food. People know what they're getting into when they eat McDonalds food. If they wanted to eat healthy, they wouldn't be going to a fast food joint. You probably agreed with that lawsuit where that african american kid sued McDonalds for getting fat, didn't you? The reason McDonalds is popular among youths is because the food is cheap and kids have a low budget. When they get hungry, they want something cheap and tasty. Is that wrong? Sure, but that's the mentality.
i never agreed with any lawsuit against mcdonalds, its up to individuals to make the right decisions. however as i said in my post you should go see the movie. obesity is a disease, people get addicted to food and eating, just like people get addicted to drugs or smoking, and mcdonalds knows that and it is made clear they target kids in an attempt to get them hooked

mcdonalds is the largest fastfood chain in america and the world, they should be a bit more responsible and offer some healthier food, period

Im just saying you should see the movie and then have this debate with me, im not saying mcdonalds is to blame for the obesity problem in the United states however, they certainly dont care about it, all they care about is money, which is pretty unfortunate

Old
06-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Barnaby

Smart Marketing, and Supply-Demand.

You can't blame McDonalds for everything - I love how people attack the serving sizes. Do you have any idea how pissed off people would be if McDonalds starting giving out smaller portions?

It's the parents responsibility to regulate their children, and educate them so that when they are old enough to themselves they understand how bad it can be. Like most thing in life moderation is key. If you go 2-3 times a month then you'll be okay. The problem is that many people eat fast-food daily. People have to be respobsible for their own actions - everyones always looking to blame someone for their own problems.

The most disturbing thing IMHO is cafeteria food. I graduated from HS a couple years ago, and I can tell you the food is terribly unhealthy. Unless you get a sandwitch you get Chicken McNuggets, fries, soda, pizza - the food is ridiculously bad for you. If you want to have Pizza on Mondays and burgers on fridays then thats fine, but try to at least stay away from soda, and give somewhat balance diets the other 3 days. At least attempt to instill healthy behavior in a so-called educational environment.

Old
06-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
im not saying mcdonalds is to blame for the obesity problem in the United states however, they certainly dont care about it, all they care about is money, which is pretty unfortunate
Hey, welcome to America. A free market economy, where anyone can sell just about anything to any bozo who will buy it. You think McDonald's the only corporation in the US that "only cares about money"?

Old
06-08-2004, 10:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Hey, welcome to America. A free market economy, where anyone can sell just about anything to any bozo who will buy it. You think McDonald's the only corporation in the US that "only cares about money"?
Exactly. McDonald's is all about capitalism. And people who act like gluttons when they get in there, are doing it all on their own. In this day and age, I think that people are fairly well aware of what is "good" to eat and what is "bad" to eat. People are also aware of the concept of "moderation". Now, if the same peopel are the ones who KNOWING all of this go into a fast-food joint and order their super-sized meals, who is to blame?
ALL of the corprations in the US care about money. To ALL of them, the dollar is the bottom line. If it wasn't, they would not be a buisiness.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:25 AM
therston

McDonalds marketing plan is perfect. The clown and the playground inside a fast food joint. It targets you as a kid and its engrained in your head to treat yourself with MCdonalds. We dont think of the damage it causes as adults. I love the never ending arguements of whether the environment effects the individual or the individual is completely independant of his or her environment. To think the latter is completely Niave. It was a great Documentary in following many Michael Moore films.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:39 AM
pld459666

I totally disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
mcdonalds is the largest fastfood chain in america and the world, they should be a bit more responsible and offer some healthier food, period

McDonalds has no obligation, moral or otherwise, to start selling healthier foods.

The consumer should be more aware of what they are consuming. McDonalds doesn't hide the fact that what is being sold is not of the most healthy variety of foods, but they aren't trumpeting it either. They don't have to do that one way or another..

They provide a product that if eaten every day by kids with slow metobolic systems will make them rotund, If a child is eating Micky D's every day or even 3-4 times a week then the PARENT is to blame for not providing it's child with enough information about the foods they do and don't eat.

The movie I'm sure is informative, but it probably also doesn't show how beneficial it is to the 2 working parent home when both mom and dad are running late and they need a quick bite to eat. or the fact that alot of parents treat McDonalds as a special place to go when celebrating minor things in life with their children. Or the fact that there are millions of people that eat at McDonalds exactly the way they should, once in a blue and not in excess.

McDonalds has no obligation to do anythign other than what they have been doing and that is serve great tasting fast food at low prices. It is up to the parents to limit how often their young kids go there. A simple "NO" would do. It seems like that is a word long forgotten in alot of America's homes today.

sad.

Old
06-08-2004, 10:45 AM
pld459666

I see what you are saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by therston
McDonalds marketing plan is perfect. The clown and the playground inside a fast food joint. It targets you as a kid and its engrained in your head to treat yourself with MCdonalds. We dont think of the damage it causes as adults. I love the never ending arguements of whether the environment effects the individual or the individual is completely independant of his or her environment. To think the latter is completely Niave. It was a great Documentary in following many Michael Moore films.
but most of the alernative's in terms of treating one's self is more than likely to expensive.

I'm not independant of my environment, but I do make my own choices. I don't let my environment decide who I am or the choices I make. To assume that it would is also Niave.

It's a simple solution, either you choose to eat there or you choose not to. No one is forcing you to make that decision. (not you specifically, but you know what I mean)

Old
06-08-2004, 02:00 PM
Marconius

Quote:

The infamous "where does corporate responsibility begin and where does personal responsibility end"

I'm all for personal responsibility, but when a company has billions of dollars of marketing avaiable to them, it's not exactly a level playing field

Old
06-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Smart Marketing, and Supply-Demand.

You can't blame McDonalds for everything - I love how people attack the serving sizes. Do you have any idea how pissed off people would be if McDonalds starting giving out smaller portions?
There was a point in the film where a lady from France mentioned that a small drink here was larger then the largest size they could get at home.

Old
06-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
havent seen the movie....but when i was a youngin, my mother would take my brother and i to mcdonalds on friday nights. it was great. it sounds stupid but as a little kid i got pretty damn excited for friday nights. its all about moderation though. we didnt go 5 times a week. we didnt eat until we puked. this whole mcdonalds health kick makes me laugh. replacing soda and fries with apples and milk just seems to defeat the purpose of mcdonalds. stay home if you want your kids eating apples and milk, youll only disappoint the lil buggers by taking them out to mcdonalds....and making them eat that.

i still eat fast food a few times a week, and chalk it up to good metabolism i guess, but im still a twig. you just have to realize what you can and cant eat early on. if youre worried youre too overweight, cut out the junk. i tell ya, if i ever feel myself packing a few extra pounds on where i dont want them, you can be sure i wont be going to eat that stuff anytime soon.

mcdonalds sucks now though, wendys rules.

Old
06-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Funny this came up, i'm going to a screening of this tomorrow for work, looking forward to it.

Old
06-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
havent seen the movie....but when i was a youngin, my mother would take my brother and i to mcdonalds on friday nights. it was great. it sounds stupid but as a little kid i got pretty damn excited for friday nights. its all about moderation though. we didnt go 5 times a week. we didnt eat until we puked. this whole mcdonalds health kick makes me laugh. replacing soda and fries with apples and milk just seems to defeat the purpose of mcdonalds. stay home if you want your kids eating apples and milk, youll only disappoint the lil buggers by taking them out to mcdonalds....and making them eat that.

i still eat fast food a few times a week, and chalk it up to good metabolism i guess, but im still a twig. you just have to realize what you can and cant eat early on. if youre worried youre too overweight, cut out the junk. i tell ya, if i ever feel myself packing a few extra pounds on where i dont want them, you can be sure i wont be going to eat that stuff anytime soon.

mcdonalds sucks now though, wendys rules.
My story is the same pretty much, except i had fast food about once a month growing up, if that. Being Italian from Brooklyn with my mom staying home, there was always food at the house, no reason to spend what little money we had on fast food. And of course all my friends were jealous of my home cooked meals & i was jealous that they got to go to Burger King or whatever.

Like you said, it's all in moderation, knowing your limits. And not just with weight gain, that sh** does mess with your system, gotta be careful how much you eat if there are heart problems in your family.

The biggest problem I see is the Parents that are too 'exhausted' from both working long days that they find it 'cheaper & easier' to order out or stop at the drive-thru.

That being said, I still get out to Nathan's & Rollin' Roaster once every two months or so, some of it is just too good

Old
06-08-2004, 03:07 PM
therston

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
but most of the alernative's in terms of treating one's self is more than likely to expensive.

I'm not independant of my environment, but I do make my own choices. I don't let my environment decide who I am or the choices I make. To assume that it would is also Niave.

It's a simple solution, either you choose to eat there or you choose not to. No one is forcing you to make that decision. (not you specifically, but you know what I mean)
If I knew you personally I would be able to point out things you do that would be construde as you being influenced by your environment. WE all do it. We have a good day with our Mom and Dad and boom...we are influenced to doing that kind of behavior again. They are unconsious decisions and you have them like it or not...most of them your not aware of and others you accept and its who you are. Many choices we make are purely on cravings and immediate gratifications. We make some of our own choices but many we dont. Many are not conscious or dont care about our health. We dont realize what we have done until we are 50 lbs heavier, slower and depressed...so we consume more. Its not a simple choice because if it was noone would be obese. Emotions are more often than not, a more powerful factor than rational thought so if you can free yourself, congratulations but that gives you no right to say everyone should be able to do it and if not screw em. There are plenty of schooled people who have learned about delayed gratification, discipline, determination and persistance being keys to happiness yet they go out that night and do something destructive. Its in our behavior and companies know this and feed upon it.
I cant believe people are trying to defend these companies. Yes its there rights to prey upon our bad habits in order to create apeal and sell there product and make money. And people have the right to expose these kinds of things. Dont worry it wont close anything down you will still be able to chomp down on fatty foods, masturbate to pornography and dehydrate your brains with alchohol. Cheers!

Old
06-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Dont worry it wont close anything down you will still be able to chomp down on fatty foods, masturbate to pornography and dehydrate your brains with alchohol. Cheers!
How come everytime someone brings up Pornography they have to mention Masturbation like they go hand in hand???

Old
06-08-2004, 03:24 PM
therston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
How come everytime someone brings up Pornography they have to mention Masturbation like they go hand in hand???
It doesn't ????

Old
06-08-2004, 03:26 PM
pld459666

I guess that's an easy way to give up

Quote:
If I knew you personally I would be able to point out things you do that would be construde as you being influenced by your environment. WE all do it. We have a good day with our Mom and Dad and boom...we are influenced to doing that kind of behavior again. They are unconsious decisions and you have them like it or not...most of them your not aware of and others you accept and its who you are. Many choices we make are purely on cravings and immediate gratifications. We make some of our own choices but many we dont. Many are not conscious or dont care about our health. We dont realize what we have done until we are 50 lbs heavier, slower and depressed...so we consume more. Its not a simple choice because if it was noone would be obese. Emotions are more often than not, a more powerful factor than rational thought so if you can free yourself, congratulations but that gives you no right to say everyone should be able to do it and if not screw em. There are plenty of schooled people who have learned about delayed gratification, discipline, determination and persistance being keys to happiness yet they go out that night and do something destructive. Its in our behavior and companies know this and feed upon it.
I cant believe people are trying to defend these companies. Yes its there rights to prey upon our bad habits in order to create apeal and sell there product and make money. And people have the right to expose these kinds of things. Dont worry it wont close anything down you will still be able to chomp down on fatty foods, masturbate to pornography and dehydrate your brains with alchohol. Cheers!
Not you particularly in terms of this discussion, but for people in terms of allowing themselves to just make decisions based on an advertizing campaign.

As for Masturbation, it's something I choose to do nightly .

We agree to disagree in the simple matter of choice. I chose to smoke for 17 years of my life, one day I chose to stop. For me it was that simple.

Old
06-08-2004, 03:32 PM
therston

Thats fine. And you were lucky to be able to stop in your 18th but I wonder how you started smoking and why your couldnt stop before that. The damage is normally already done by the time we realize its time to stop.

Closed Thread