HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie is a healthy scratch?

Old
10-13-2010, 09:46 PM
lastcupever75

vCash: 500
has this been confirmed if he was indeed a healthy scratch or was he injured..

i remember he took a malkin shot in the leg vs. the devils

lastcupever75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Tweed

Or..... perhaps they need to make sure everybody gets to play, it's Godard's turn to be in, and Comrie's turn to be out. Maybe people are lookin' for some kind of controversy that doesn't exist?

Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
Or..... perhaps they need to make sure everybody gets to play, it's Godard's turn to be in, and Comrie's turn to be out. Maybe people are lookin' for some kind of controversy that doesn't exist?
You don't scratch the 3rd most talented guy in the line-up presently (sad as that may be) to dress Godard for 3:24 because of some sort of ******** little league baseball system. To say nothing about the fact that we're not rivals with Toronto and Godard served no purpose in this game (to say nothing of Engelland being the guy that fought their heavyweight).

Comrie was scratched because of something Bylsma was seeing in games and/or practice that soured him. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but Bylsma has proven to be a very poor judge on those sorts of things. It took him how long to do that to Fedotenko last year? Comrie looked pretty decent in the first two games of the year but was admittedly absent from that Devils game...still...one bad game isn't enough in my eyes to warrant a scratch for a team lacking the talent we lack right now. Especially with as many players out of the line-up as we have right now. When you're lacking your three best defensive players and are having troubles scoring offensively you don't have the luxury of 'sending a message' to one of your most talented players in order to play a goon, when one is already forced into your line-up due to injury. There is no reason for Godard and Engelland to ever be in the line-up on the same night.

Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 10:52 PM
lastcupever75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

Comrie was scratched because of something Bylsma was seeing in games and/or practice that soured him. t.
do you have a link, or have heard that for sure?

there was a question if he was injured and i haven't seen it answered yet

Old
10-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Dan Barr

I assume Comrie was/is hurt because Bylsma said he was a game-time decision, and also because he didn't skate this morning.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:29 PM
lastcupever75

thats what i heard too

then i read everyone in the GDT and 5 up 5 down freakin out about scratching him for godard

Old
10-14-2010, 04:24 AM
Funk311

Really hope I missed some sarcasm in this thread. If we actually have fans suggesting Crosby sit, after three games.......

HAHAHA. Get a freaking clue. That's not good for wins or the team.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Tweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
You don't scratch the 3rd most talented guy in the line-up presently (sad as that may be) to dress Godard for 3:24 because of some sort of ******** little league baseball system. To say nothing about the fact that we're not rivals with Toronto and Godard served no purpose in this game (to say nothing of Engelland being the guy that fought their heavyweight).

Comrie was scratched because of something Bylsma was seeing in games and/or practice that soured him. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but Bylsma has proven to be a very poor judge on those sorts of things. It took him how long to do that to Fedotenko last year? Comrie looked pretty decent in the first two games of the year but was admittedly absent from that Devils game...still...one bad game isn't enough in my eyes to warrant a scratch for a team lacking the talent we lack right now. Especially with as many players out of the line-up as we have right now. When you're lacking your three best defensive players and are having troubles scoring offensively you don't have the luxury of 'sending a message' to one of your most talented players in order to play a goon, when one is already forced into your line-up due to injury. There is no reason for Godard and Engelland to ever be in the line-up on the same night.

ummm... there's nothing ********, or little league about giving ice time to your depth players against the 2nd worst team in the league, and resting your top players and spreadin' the love around. With your logic, Godard would never see ice, and what good would he be to us if/when we ever did call on him??

Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
ummm... there's nothing ********, or little league about giving ice time to your depth players against the 2nd worst team in the league, and resting your top players and spreadin' the love around. With your logic, Godard would never see ice, and what good would he be to us if/when we ever did call on him??
There's nothing ******** about giving ice-time to Godard if the coach thinks his skill set is needed for the game in question.
On this team - with the lack of top6 weapons we have - the coach is however ******** if he believes Godard was more needed than Comrie for this game. No less so when we already had Rupp and Engelland there, and it only gets worse if you look at how he actually used Godard.

Now - things are of course different if Comrie wasn't fit to play, but if that is the case it is untraditionally lousy communication from the Pens organisation to call it a healthy scratch as it obviously prompts a lot of questions with the way Comrie has been hyped on the official site and hockey media in general. And - of course - considering how bizarre the decision otherwise looks.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 06:00 AM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
I assume Comrie was/is hurt because Bylsma said he was a game-time decision, and also because he didn't skate this morning.
I read that he skated on the fourth line yesterday morning.

I'm pretty sure Bylsma made the decision to sit him as a healthy scratch. I'm also pretty sure Errey and Steigerwald did not say Comrie's name and avoided the subject.

Nobody is 100% certain Comrie was a healthy scratch, but if he was...this is the poorest coaching decision of all time.You don't sit your only skilled top 6 winger 4 games into the season...you just don't. He wasn't very visible during the Devils game but he made tons of nice plays in the first two games and he looked like the only guy who could make things happen with the puck on his stick outside of Malkin and Crosby. If Bylsma is "sending a message" to the new guy while our two superstars had 2 points between them and the rest of the roster sucked, I'll be really, really disappointed.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 07:45 AM
tocchet92

A healthy scratch typically isn't a game time decision. In spite of what Mark Madden says, this is almost certainly due to a minor injury, illness, or off-ice issues.

Its not time to throw Duffman under the bus after three games. Comrie is exactly what the Pens need in their top-6 right now.

tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Gooch

vCash: 692
I am not giving the benefit of the doubt to Bylsma simply because he has been making dumb decision after dumb decision since he was extended to 3 years.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:13 AM
ivefle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
I read that he skated on the fourth line yesterday morning.

I'm pretty sure Bylsma made the decision to sit him as a healthy scratch. I'm also pretty sure Errey and Steigerwald did not say Comrie's name and avoided the subject.

Nobody is 100% certain Comrie was a healthy scratch, but if he was...this is the poorest coaching decision of all time.You don't sit your only skilled top 6 winger 4 games into the season...you just don't. He wasn't very visible during the Devils game but he made tons of nice plays in the first two games and he looked like the only guy who could make things happen with the puck on his stick outside of Malkin and Crosby. If Bylsma is "sending a message" to the new guy while our two superstars had 2 points between them and the rest of the roster sucked, I'll be really, really disappointed.
Mario Tremblay says Bonjour.

ivefle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
A healthy scratch typically isn't a game time decision. In spite of what Mark Madden says, this is almost certainly due to a minor injury, illness, or off-ice issues.

Its not time to throw Duffman under the bus after three games. Comrie is exactly what the Pens need in their top-6 right now.
Yeah, I find it hard to believe it was a healthy scratch. Especially when the word came from MM.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Nobody's throwing Comrie under the bus (except 21pro). Bylsma is the one we're blaming.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:20 AM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Yeah, I find it hard to believe it was a healthy scratch. Especially when the word came from MM.
Shelly Anderson reported it yesterday too.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:36 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Well I definitely find her more credible than MM. I have no problem with the decision.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Corsi Close

Looks like DB confirms he was indeed a healthy scratch. Curious decision to say the least.

On why Mike Comrie was scratched:
Mike is a guy who adds offensive ability and can play in different spots. And he did do that to some degree, he could have three points right now if we hit an open net or it doesn’t clang off the post to a guy he passed to. Just puck battles on both ends of the rink and being hard on the puck and being able to make those plays, everyone looks differently. Mike Comrie is not going to be Matt Cooke, but he has to be able to do that and be those things for the power play and for his line and do all those things on the rink both offensively and defensively. He got scratched in last night’s game, but he will get another opportunity.

Corsi Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:07 PM
johnniewalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivefle View Post
Mario Tremblay says Bonjour.
Viktor Tikhonov says Здравствуйте also.

johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:36 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig991 View Post
Looks like DB confirms he was indeed a healthy scratch. Curious decision to say the least.

On why Mike Comrie was scratched:
Mike is a guy who adds offensive ability and can play in different spots. And he did do that to some degree, he could have three points right now if we hit an open net or it doesn’t clang off the post to a guy he passed to. Just puck battles on both ends of the rink and being hard on the puck and being able to make those plays, everyone looks differently. Mike Comrie is not going to be Matt Cooke, but he has to be able to do that and be those things for the power play and for his line and do all those things on the rink both offensively and defensively. He got scratched in last night’s game, but he will get another opportunity.
Is there a link?

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Islanderfan17

I bet it's because the guy is lazy as all hell, coming from an Isles fan who watched him for years...chances are you guys will learn to hate him this season, he definitely has skill and can score goals but the guys lack of effort makes you dislike him.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 01:58 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I bet it's because the guy is lazy as all hell, coming from an Isles fan who watched him for years...chances are you guys will learn to hate him this season, he definitely has skill and can score goals but the guys lack of effort makes you dislike him.
Here's the thing, though. We are so desperate for ANY sort of skill up front that we simply need him in the lineup. In all 3 games he was our most dangerous forward outside of the big two. If Bylsma wants to send a message to him, I would think that a stern meeting (perhaps with the GM present) would be more than enough. We gained absolutely nothing last game by sitting Comrie and dressing Godard. I'm still shocked that Bylsma would actually do this. I don't even think that Therrien ever did something so stupid.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Neeeeaaaal
Waffles Are Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Is there a link?
Yes, here.

Info on Comrie, Michalek, Asham, Others

It's under the 1:27PM coachspeak section. It's exactly what was quoted above.

Neeeeaaaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:01 PM
tocchet92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
That is very discouraging. If this holds true, Duffman will quickly become this year's whipping boy.

tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Michael Scofield

Quote:

Couldn't agree more.

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote