HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your top 5 choices for D-Day 04'

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2004, 10:07 AM

vCash: 500
Your top 5 choices for D-Day 04'

So what's your top 5 choices for the Habs in this upcoming draft...who would be your top 5 choices, in order, for the Habs 18th pick...be realistic and include players who you think will be available at that pick.

1.Lauri Korpikoski- Everything i've read about him has been good, he's climbed up everybody's list the past few weeks.

2.Enver Lisin
3.Blake Wheeler-maybe a bit of a stretch @ 18th, but I love his size and willingless to use it.

4.Johan Fransson

5.Bruce Graham-another stretch maybe

Old
06-09-2004, 10:23 AM
markov`

1. Andrej Meszaros
2. Boris Valabik
3. Alex Radulov
4. Kyle Chipchura
5. Lauri Korpikorski

All five might not be available at 18. Now here's the list of players I want and will likely be available on 18.

1. Lauri Korpikorski
2. Mike Green
3. Johan Fransson
4. Bruce Graham
5. Blake Wheeler

Old
06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Subban Fan

1. Alex Radulov-The sleeper...this year AK...i'm dreaming!!!
2. Rob Schremp-One of the most talented player in this draft...attitude problems???
3. Wojtek Wolski-Big and skilled winger...could see him drop!
4. Kyle Chipchura-Big center with grit...what else can we say!!!
5. Johaness Salmonsson-One of the fastest skater...with a good shape!!!

I'd be so happy to get one of those 5...

Old
06-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Darz

So hard to firgure who will still be around by the time we pick, but if for some reason Chipchura is still there and we don't pick him, I will be very pissed!!!

If he is gone, Mike Green and Wes O'neill would be picks I would be happy with (that of course, if they are still available). Both seem to be solid dman, and you can never have enough of those.

Wojtek Wolski, is another gamble that I wouldn't mind seeing the habs take. If he could learn how to use his size a little more and play defensive (which isn't out of the question for an 18 year old) he could turn out to be a really good pick.

I guess there is a good chance none of these guys are available when we pick, but.....

Old
06-09-2004, 11:04 AM
markov`

Wes O'Neill will be available at 18. Green probably, too.

Old
06-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Favorite of the draft:
1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Stafford
4. Thelen
5. Olesz

most likely to drop to 18 :
1. Radulov (perezhogin clone skillwise with more emotion in his game(ala Iginla))
2. Wheeler (A monster on ice, he hits everethings and he has incredible offensive skills.. if he was playing in the CHL he would get more press(IMO easy top 20).. too bad he play in USHL reminds me Bertuzzi)
3. Green (Some people say he's too small.. yeah right! , he's 6'1 200 pounds and hit like a rock ... he reminds me volchenkov at the same age !! and again too bad he dont play for a better team! IMO green > barker )
4. Fransson (Incredible skater with very good offensive skills he reminds me A.Markov)
5. Korpikoski (he has good offensive tools and a good attitude.. needs to play with better player next year .. but still .. too many skills to pass on him !)

Old
06-09-2004, 11:20 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

1. Boris Valabik.... I'd love to pick him
2. Alex Radulov
3. Johan Fransson

Old
06-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Wes O'Neill will be available at 18. Green probably, too.
There is a chance, but one thing I've learned about draft day...expect the unexpected.

Old
06-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

1. Chipchura - but odds are well below 50% he'd be there
2. Green - I just like his overall package better than the various European d-prospects. Given that I think Chipchura probably will be gone, Green is my "real" #1 pick.
3. Wolski - I don't exactly like him as a player *now* but I'm tantalised by the upside for the future
4. Korpikoski - sounds like an interesting all-round package
5. Meszaros/Smid/O'Neill - don't have a strong opinion on any of them, but I think we have need for D in our system

Guys not picked: I don't think Radulov will be available, so I'm not thinking of him. I do think Schremp could be (as much chance as Chipchura anyway), but I'd pass on him. Valabik is interesting, but he would be such a project and I'd have to spend countless hours over the next 5 years writing posts about how he's not a bust and we need to be patient about him that I just hope BG gives me a break from that workload. As for Fransson... I dunno, I think it's only here in this forum where Fransson is even remotely considered a candidate for such a high selection... he has good PR here, at least!

Old
06-09-2004, 12:41 PM
blueberry

Thelan
shremp

Old
06-09-2004, 12:43 PM
blueberry

Thelan
shremp
radulov
wolski
chipchura

Old
06-09-2004, 12:45 PM
mcphee

BG, you say you would pass on Schremp. Why, just think he's overrated, attitude question, or is he too similar to a lot of what we have ?

I like your Harper comment. The PC tele marketer called yesterday asking me to vote for him. I told her if Terry Harper was running, now that would interest me, but she was just reading comments from notes I guess and had no idea what I was talking about. That seems to happen more and more.

Old
06-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
BG, you say you would pass on Schremp. Why, just think he's overrated, attitude question, or is he too similar to a lot of what we have ?
Well, I wouldn't get *too* carried away with the attitude stuff... I mean, as gushy as we get over these guys as hockey icons, the fact is that quite a lot of them are annoying teenage twits with big egos and short attention spans and any number of other afflictions common to any typical 17-year old off the streets. Schremp may be punkier than most, or not, but to me, even if he is, that's not a good enough reason to *completely* pass on him.

I didn't particularly like his reactions, his unwillingness to take responsibility that was portrayed in his most recent interview, and his lack of fitness at the combine and his initial comments after the WJC snub raised my eyebrows a bit. But more than all that, I just find him to be a bit too lazy on the ice. He's like a Ribeiro at the same age, but with: more mass, better shot, much better skating. He was in a great position on a great team, and he could have taken it to the next level if he wanted to (you can be sure Dale Hunter wanted him to!) but instead he just seemed to go with the flow. He has a lot of talent, but to be honest, from watching him play, I'm not sure his skill level hasn't received just as much positive over-hype as his attitude has received negative over-hype.

Mostly, yeah, I think we have plenty of offensively-oriented players, and we don't have a lot of real gut-check guys, and since I don't rank Schremp as being a "better" player than some of the defensemen or two-way forwards (higher scoring, but not better), then I wouldn't take him for the Habs at #18.

Now, if I had an organisation with lots of defensive depth and pretty good character but a weakness in the pure scoring department, then for sure, I'd take a chance on Schremp in the middle of the 1st round. Even for the Habs, if we were picking in the 25th to 40th or so range, and if he happened to fall that far, I would still pick him.

It's just the BPA theory again... he is equal to many of the mid-1st rounders overall, IMO, but when all is equal, I switch to picking for needs, and we need grittier guys, or defensemen ahead of his type. But moving towards the end of the 1st round, he would start becoming noticeably "better" than the other players there, so I would take him regardless of needs.

Quote:
I like your Harper comment. The PC tele marketer called yesterday asking me to vote for him. I told her if Terry Harper was running, now that would interest me, but she was just reading comments from notes I guess and had no idea what I was talking about. That seems to happen more and more.
mcphee, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaking of Terry Harper... well... luckily I live just outside of the boundary for Dryden's riding! I would have had a hard time not voting for Ken Dryden.

Old
06-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Traitor8

1-Radulov
2-Schremp
3-Green
4-Chipchura
5-Korpikorski

Old
06-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

1- Chipchura (leadership, size, strength, speed, defensive awareness, good faceoff abilities and grit are what everybody mentions when talking about Chipchura, but what makes him an interesting pick at 18th for me is that those attributes make him a safe bet to at least develop into a good all round 3rd line player, while his very underrated hands, passing skills and vision boost his upside to offensive 2-way playmaker. I might be wrong, but it is my conviction that there's some serious untaped offensive potential in Chipchura that could pay up big dividendes down the road)

2- Green (blue colar 2-way type of Dman, extremely fast and poised, hits, supports the rush or defends equally well, would be a sure top-10 pick if he was 2 inches higher)

3- Wolski/Schremp/Radulov (I'm not a huge fan of any of them, but if one were to fall to 18th and my 1st two picks were gone, we could not possibly pass on them, considering they all have star potential and have some serious offensive skills. I wouldn't move up to draft any of them, but at 18th, they will be awfully tempting.

All three have 1st line potential, yet they also have serious drawbacks that might keep them from being top-10 in this draft. I guess the deciding factor would be the interview, and an in-deep interview with those 3 would be essential for me if we considered drafting any of them in the enventuality they fell to the 18th spot)

4- O'Neill (I like his package of hulking size, strength and skills. He could become a very reliable stay-at-home down the road)

5- If none of those guys are there when we pick, I'd be in favor of trading down to get a low 1st and a mid second (with Washington maybe) to draft two of Wheeler/Pineault/Meszaros/Zajac/Bolland/Hedman/Fransson/Graham/Booth/Korpikoski/Soderberg

** Additionaly, If one of Tukonen, Ladd, Picard or Thelen would fall out of the top 10 (highly unlikely), I'd be in favor of trying to move up to acquire one of them. Also, if Stafford was still available around 14th/15th, I'd also be in favor of moving up and drafting him.

Last edited by Munchausen: 06-09-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Closed Thread