HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fraser Out 4-6 Weeks

Old
10-14-2010, 02:20 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
because the cap hit is done by day rate. It's just easier to blow it out to yearly salary to show work.
Yes, but all the pee-on players cap hits are done by day rate too and they make far less, so it seems to me that if they wanted Zharkov up, they mathematically could have fit him AND been okay with Sal. I'm not understanding this. Either you're wrong or I need a better abacus.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:21 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Reminds me of that Anime called "Deathnote" where a guy finds a book that when you write someone's name in it, something happens to that person.
Yeah, but if Lou is Light (see the L connection?), things won't end well...

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:23 PM
MauDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
So if I interpret you correctly, a second year player is allowed to make rookie mistakes but not a rookie? Ok....
Fighting when it's not needed, taking bad penalties for no reason, stepping up into the attack at the worst times...

I watched him a lot last year, for better or worse, we're about to see him full time.

MauDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:25 PM
King Henrique
ɹǝʌo s,ʇı ǝnbıɹuǝɥ

......and another one bites the dust

King Henrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:28 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Yes, but all the pee-on players cap hits are done by day rate too and they make far less, so it seems to me that if they wanted Zharkov up, they mathematically could have fit him AND been okay with Sal. I'm not understanding this. Either you're wrong or I need a better abacus.

Rolston's LTIR is $5.062

Salvador's cap salary is $2.9M

that leaves you with $2.162M

we've already established that day rate and yearly salary are exactly the same thing.

Josefson's cap salary is $900K
Sestito's is $500K
Corrente's is $667K or so.

that = $2.067M.

or $95K of wiggle room. Zharkov's cap hit is more than $95K bigger than Sestito's.

you don't touch Fraser's LTIR space until you have to, it's too small and can have a negative effect on what you can do with Rolston's.

so, if they had taken on Zharkov, they would have gone over the amount of Rolston's LTIR - Sal's cap salary. which would have rendered them unable to free Sal from LTIR without making a move.

as of now, they can take him off whenever he's ready, and just need to make a decision on him (along with likely one other decision) when Rolston is ready to come off.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:37 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Rolston's LTIR is $5.062

Salvador's cap salary is $2.9M

that leaves you with $2.162M

we've already established that day rate and yearly salary are exactly the same thing.

Josefson's cap salary is $900K
Sestito's is $500K
Corrente's is $667K or so.

that = $2.067M.

or $95K of wiggle room. Zharkov's cap hit is more than $95K bigger than Sestito's.
Your math would appear correct. Here is the issue I dont understand.

Lets say you call up all the kids you mention above, in addition to Zharkov. Then, 24 hourse BEFORE you bring Sal back from LTIR (assuming that needs to happen), you send Zharkov back up to Albany. I dont understand why you're saying they cant do that? It seems perfectly within the rules to me, and if so, it seems like they just didnt want Zharkov on the Devils at this time. What am I missing?

Old
10-14-2010, 02:40 PM
devsfan4life

So... did they put Fraser on LTIR or no?

devsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Your math would appear correct. Here is the issue I dont understand.

Lets say you call up all the kids you mention above, in addition to Zharkov. Then, 24 hourse BEFORE you bring Sal back from LTIR (assuming that needs to happen), you send Zharkov back up to Albany. I dont understand why you're saying they cant do that? It seems perfectly within the rules to me, and if so, it seems like they just didnt want Zharkov on the Devils at this time. What am I missing?

i believe the accrued daily time of Zharkov would put them over the limit even if they sent him down right before Salvador came back up

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Chapter President

vCash: 50
I don't know what you mean about day rate = annual salary, but each player's NHL annual salary is pro-rated to the average daily rate and each day they are active on the NHL roster = that daily rate against the cap.

If you call up a player with a 2 way contract and they have a different AHL and NHL salary, you only take the hit for their daily NHL rate while they are called up. So this is why you see players called up the day of a game and not earlier when things are tight.

"Chewie... we're home."
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
i believe the accrued daily time of Zharkov would put them over the limit even if they sent him down right before Salvador came back up
That's not possible.

They were roughly $3M in the hole, and Sal makes nearly $3M. Rolston makes $5M, kids make <$1M each.

Is my abacus broken?

EDIT: And why when you search "Broken abacus" on GOOG images do you get many pictures of scantily clad or nude women?

Old
10-14-2010, 02:52 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
That's not possible.

They were roughly $3M in the hole, and Sal makes nearly $3M. Rolston makes $5M, kids make <$1M each.

Is my abacus broken?

EDIT: And why when you search "Broken abacus" on GOOG images do you get many pictures of scantily clad or nude women?
Well of course I had to try that. It's all about the quotation marks. Yes with, no without.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 02:59 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Well of course I had to try that. It's all about the quotation marks. Yes with, no without.
Right. But why? Very odd.

Old
10-14-2010, 03:02 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
Fighting when it's not needed, taking bad penalties for no reason, stepping up into the attack at the worst times...

I watched him a lot last year, for better or worse, we're about to see him full time.
He was playing games at forward at times last year... something he'd never done before. That will screw with anyone's game.

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:03 PM
JimEIV

I really hope Corrente takes this and runs with it.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:06 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
That's not possible.

Is my abacus broken?

they are over the cap with Sal, by $2.9M. to activate him, they have to nuke his LTIR space and roll him into Rolston's, since LTIR allows you to spend over the cap to the amount of the players on LTIR.

right now they can spend to $7,900,000+. with Sal off, they can spend to $5,000,000+. but to get him off you have to fold him into Rolston's. so Rolston's actual LTIR space is more like $2.15M. if you go any further, you risk screwing things up.

Old
10-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Chapter President

vCash: 50
It's not often we're on the same page Jim, but I'm with you on this one.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:12 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
It's not often we're on the same page Jim, but I'm with you on this one.
I just think with his skating and snarl he is bound to be a valuable contributor to this defense. He has the skills --

I hope he develops further and matures, but as Devils fans we can take solace in the fact that Stevens and Daneyko made questionable decision and were a little nutty in their earlier days as well.

Old
10-14-2010, 03:14 PM
King Henrique
ɹǝʌo s,ʇı ǝnbıɹuǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauDevils View Post
sounds a lot like Fraser...

King Henrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:14 PM
captainscott

this is getting comical, we are actually cheering long term injuries. its like signing free agents. sorry about your car...that sucks

captainscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:17 PM
guyincognito

also, since now there is a road to get out from under the cap (although they still can't gain any space because Rolston's LTIR is bigger than the cap they bank), it's no longer Zubrus that has to go. the number to get out from under when Rolston comes off is now $2.15m or thereabouts instead of the $2.9M it was w/ Salvador.

of course, for it to be $2.15M, Sal has to go.

Old
10-14-2010, 03:21 PM
captainscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I really hope Corrente takes this and runs with it.
me too i think this will finally be his chance. he has not made it impossible for them to send him down, although i don't think he got a fair long term look yet either, this will be his chance to get that look

maclean has proven he will play young defensman, maybe out of neccesity but nonetheless

captainscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:24 PM
mugs

Quote:
they are over the cap with Sal, by $2.9M. to activate him, they have to nuke his LTIR space and roll him into Rolston's, since LTIR allows you to spend over the cap to the amount of the players on LTIR.

right now they can spend to $7,900,000+. with Sal off, they can spend to $5,000,000+. but to get him off you have to fold him into Rolston's. so Rolston's actual LTIR space is more like $2.15M. if you go any further, you risk screwing things up.
I don't think you need to keep explaining why Salvador has to fit into Rolston's LTIR cap space when he comes back. What isn't clear, and I haven't seen an explanation of, is why we have to save that space during the period of time between now and when Salvador returns.

mugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:24 PM
devsfan4life

So they aren't placing Fraser on LTIR?

devsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 03:27 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainscott View Post
me too i think this will finally be his chance. he has not made it impossible for them to send him down, although i don't think he got a fair long term look yet either, this will be his chance to get that look

maclean has proven he will play young defensman, maybe out of neccesity but nonetheless
I for the life of me can't figure out why you call up a kid like this and play him at Left Wing for 10 games.

I think that is the dumbest thing we did in his development. Especially because we had open defense spots.

Old
10-14-2010, 03:27 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The people cheering this injury are just sad.

Having to replace a league minimum player with a guy who makes slightly more money hurts, not helps, the cap situation. Should be pretty obvious.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote