HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brightest Future?

Old
10-14-2010, 08:07 PM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
Rask, Krejci, Bergeron, Horton, Seguin, Boychuk, Campbell, Stuart, Boychuk, Hunwick, Paille, Lucic, Wheeler as players that are pretty young, albeit including stiffs like Paille and Hunwick...

Plus some pretty solid prospects. Not the best prospect pool, but an overall young and solid team.

NewEnglandSportsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 08:25 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
[/B]

Caps won't be able to afford those players in future considering what they have now.
And you can't keep younger players down on the farm forever, will seek out free agency.
Kuznetsov, Galiev, and Orlov are all 2 years away, Eakin is one, and to top it all off, you're looking at a team that has some heavy contracts (Steckel, Erskine, Knuble, Semin, Green, etc) all expiring before more than two or three of the players listed above ask for the kind of pay raise that would price them out of the Capitals market, and that's just assuming that they don't take a cut (like Backstrom did, and the team has been talking about for the future) to stick in an area that clearly has the potential to be a big contender for the next decade, with one of the biggest stars in the world leading the attack.

Put quite simply, you don't know what you're talking about.

EDIT: Unless you'd like to go out on a limb and say that flashy, showboating Alzner is going to command 5m+, and that every prospect listed in the post you quoted will go on to be the kind of 100 point talents that all demand 6m+ salaries, I'm going to go ahead and say they're as safe as anyone, and probably safer than most, in the cap world. Bear in mind that in addition to those expiring contracts, they're also coming in under the cap this season by an amount not to be overlooked, over 3 million.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago are the top 3. With the players they have they will be a contender every year for the foreseeable future.

Second tier i would have Philly, LA, Colorado, Tampa, Boston

Third tier i would have Edmonton, NYI (these 2 have huge potential though)

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Should be a team with young stars who have already had some substantial success, plus some solid prospects in the pipeline.

Washington, Chicago, and Pittsburgh with LA bringing up the rear.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:39 PM
EastCoastEdmund

Pittsburgh has Crosby, Staal, and Malkin and I could see Goligoski becoming a number 1 D-man offensively.

Washington has Ovechkin, Backstrom and Green.

None of these guys are over 25

Chicago also has Toews, Kane and Keith (he is 27, easily the oldest of the bunch)

EastCoastEdmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 09:53 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Since this has basically turned into name your best prospects thread, I'll have to throw out the Canes since I think they have a top 10 prospect group and some other talented young players on the roster now.

Sutter
McBain
Skinner
Boychuk
Dalpe
Bowman
Dumoulin
Sanguinetti
R. Nash
Osala
Faulk
Alt
Biega
Shugg
C. Terry

The Canes have quietly (as evidenced by no mentions in this thread) built up a good prospect pool from basically scratch. The year we won the Cup our prospect board was absolutely garbage.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:34 PM
backs4mvp

Caps have

Ovechkin(25)-Backstrom(23)-Fehr-(25)
*Kuznetsov*(18)-Johansson(20)-*Galiev*(18)
-*Eakin*(19)-

Green(25)-Schultz(24)
Carlson(20)-Alzner(22)
*Orlov*(19)

Varlamoav(22)
Neuvirth(22)
*Holtby*(21)

Caps are very well balanced with youth on the roster, and quality prospects

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Caps have

-*Eakin*(19)-

Green(25)-Schultz(24)
Carlson(20)-Alzner(22)
*Orlov*(19)

Varlamoav(22)
Neuvirth(22)
*Holtby*(21)

Washington for sure.
Semin imo should also count as he's only 26.
Very good core.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:48 PM
smokes lets go

Edmonton has great prospects and has a bright future for sure, assuming guys like Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and other good prospects develop well i'd we're still missing 3 things to become a stanley cup contender

#1- a clearcut #1 defenseman for the future. whitney, gilbert, smid and hopefully guys like Plante/Petry are/can be solid top 4 guys but we don't have that number 1 yet. Hopefully we can draft an adam larsson or david Musil who will eventually become that guy

#2- A long term term solution in net. Khabi has been great so far but he is 37 with a history of back problems so we can't pin our hopes on him. Olivier Roy is a solid goaltending prospect but it is too early to tell if he can develop into a number 1 guy. I was hoping the oilders would of grabbed Niemi this offseason and leave JDD/DD in the ahl

#3- A top 6 center. This one is probably the most controversial. I don't believe Gagner has what it takes to be the number 1 guy that takes you to the promise land(yes i know he's 21) Im hoping Hall can make the transition to center because he has the ability to be a franchise forward. Other than that, Gagner can become a very good #2 center so i believe another strong #2 center will be good enough because of our depth on the wings. Other options could be moving Brule back to center. I think Tyler Pitlick has what it takes to be future number 2 but that won't be for a while and he has a lot of developing to do. He is the perfect player we need, a gritty shut down center that can put up points(think Ryan Kesler). I know its optimistic but from the limited viewings of what i've seen i absolutely love his game

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2010, 11:50 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
Since this has basically turned into name your best prospects thread, I'll have to throw out the Canes since I think they have a top 10 prospect group and some other talented young players on the roster now.

The Canes have quietly (as evidenced by no mentions in this thread) built up a good prospect pool from basically scratch. The year we won the Cup our prospect board was absolutely garbage.
as i remember it wasnt too long ago they were last or second last in HF's prospect rankings, they have done quite a bit and agree their prospects are underated and can support the core of Staal, Gleason, Pitkinan, ward etc.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Lebanese Leaf

The Leafs are definitely up there, every hockey analyst would agree. Not top 3, I think Washington, Edmonton, and LA Kings have brighter futures on paper.

But just because your best players aren't all 18 or 19, doesn't mean they're old and washed up and won't keep improving. Kessel is only 23, Schenn is 20, Bozak is 24, Versteeg is 24, Kulemin is 24. Then you have Kadri who should be an impact player when he makes the NHL that only just turned 20, and several other good prospects in the organization, including Jerry D'amigo, Brad Ross and Greg McKegg... who could end up being the steal of this year's draft.

People on HF seem to have this obsession with very young rookies around 18 or 19 trumping all else. In reality, players who have NHL experience and are still improving at the age of 20-24 are more valuable then a guy who is 18 or 19 and "could be" that good.

Same goes for guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews, Stamkos. You can hype up your Eberle, Hall, Paajrvi, Skinner etc. all you want, but the top guys in the league are still under 25 and improving, so who's to say their team's don't have bright futures either?

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Mr. Hab

Bright Futures...imo:
KINGS (Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, B.Schenn, Simmonds,etc)
OILERS (Eberle, Hall, etc)
HAWKS (Keith, Toews, Kane,etc)
CAPITALS (Backstrom, Carlson, Varlamov, Neuvirth, Alzner, etc)
BRUINS (Rask, Seguin, etc)
ISLANDERS...in 2-3-4 years (ex: watch them get Couturier in '11 Draft and 2-3 more top 3 picks overall in the next 2-3-4 years (they'll become the new Pens...years and years of losing/bad luck and next thing...slowly winning again/good luck!).

HABS/CANADIENS...are maybe in top 8? (for brightest future) :
Carey Price (23)
PK Subban (21)
Lars Eller (21)
Louis Leblanc (19)
Jarred Tinordi (18)
Danny Kristo (20)

(Pyatt, White, Palushaj, Avtsin, Maxwell, and defensemen...Bennett, Weber, Carle).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-15-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 02:33 AM
defer*

Ducks after we land Larsson

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
HABS/CANADIENS...are maybe in top 8? (for brightest future) :
Carey Price (23)
PK Subban (21)
Lars Eller (21)
Louis Leblanc (19)
Jarred Tinordi (18)
Danny Kristo (20)

(Pyatt, White, Palushaj, Avtsin, Maxwell, and defensemen...Bennett, Weber, Carle).
Enh, that's pushing it. Habs have a good team they've put together, but their youth as a group isn't really anything remarkable (though I really like Subban and still think Price will be a great one).

Randomly thumbing through teams in a pool yearbook, you'd be just as likely to find a more impressive under-25 collection as not.

Here, I just did:

Tampa Bay. Stamkos, Downie, Hedman, Connolly, Tokarski, Ashton, Tyrell.

Phoenix. Wolski, Hanzal, Boedker, Turris, MacLean, Yandle, OEL, Gormley, Goncharov

Nashville. Radulov, Hornquist, Wilson, Suter, Weber, Franson, Pickard, Ellis, Watson, Blum

etc.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 10-15-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 07:59 AM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

You could say Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago a few years ago, but now you could consider
West: Los Angeles, St.Louis
East: New York Islanders, Florida

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

East: Washington, Pittsburgh and NJ Devils

West: Chicago, Detroit and Los Angeles

Doothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:50 AM
the_fan

Rangers!

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Mr. Hab

how to delete a message?

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-15-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Caps have

-*Eakin*(19)-

Green(25)-Schultz(24)
Carlson(20)-Alzner(22)
*Orlov*(19)

Varlamoav(22)
Neuvirth(22)
*Holtby*(21)

Caps heavily overloaded with Russian prospects and players. Some of them could end up taking a detour away from NHL for the KHL in the future, no guarantees.

Eennad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:02 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

That barely noone say that Panthers is crazy.

G: Markström, Cheverie, Salak, Plate
D: Ellerby, Robak, Gudbransson, Petrovic, Comrie
F: Bjugstad, Howden, McFarland, Shore, Wilson, Dadanov, Timmins, Jenks, Repik

Thats atleast a top5 prospectpool, together with Nashville, LA, Pheonix and Edmonton. Nashville has probably the best prospectpool in the league.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:31 AM
bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Kadri Fan View Post
The Leafs are definitely up there, every hockey analyst would agree. Not top 3, I think Washington, Edmonton, and LA Kings have brighter futures on paper.

But just because your best players aren't all 18 or 19, doesn't mean they're old and washed up and won't keep improving. Kessel is only 23, Schenn is 20, Bozak is 24, Versteeg is 24, Kulemin is 24. Then you have Kadri who should be an impact player when he makes the NHL that only just turned 20, and several other good prospects in the organization, including Jerry D'amigo, Brad Ross and Greg McKegg... who could end up being the steal of this year's draft.

People on HF seem to have this obsession with very young rookies around 18 or 19 trumping all else. In reality, players who have NHL experience and are still improving at the age of 20-24 are more valuable then a guy who is 18 or 19 and "could be" that good.

Same goes for guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Toews, Stamkos. You can hype up your Eberle, Hall, Paajrvi, Skinner etc. all you want, but the top guys in the league are still under 25 and improving, so who's to say their team's don't have bright futures either?
Good post. All good points you make. It seems like on this forum when a player hits 20 they no longer have the ability to improve.
I also think that McKegg will end up being the steel of the draft....he looks good so far.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
I'm gonna say Minnesota... we're looking at the next 3+ years in the lottery. 5-10 years from now, we should be dominant!

Seriously - how can Tampa get no love? Any team with Stamkos and Hedberg should at least get an honorable mention.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:21 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
That barely noone say that Panthers is crazy.

G: Markström, Cheverie, Salak, Plate
D: Ellerby, Robak, Gudbransson, Petrovic, Comrie
F: Bjugstad, Howden, McFarland, Shore, Wilson, Dadanov, Timmins, Jenks, Repik

Thats atleast a top5 prospectpool, together with Nashville, LA, Pheonix and Edmonton. Nashville has probably the best prospectpool in the league.
And you missed Kulikov on D there.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:30 AM
wickedwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Caps heavily overloaded with Russian prospects and players. Some of them could end up taking a detour away from NHL for the KHL in the future, no guarantees.
Obviously there are no guarantees, but having Ovechkin results in as close to a guarantee as one can get.

wickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 05:00 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
And you missed Kulikov on D there.
Those were ONLY prospects.

I could have added Kulikov, Booth, Weiss, Frolik etc.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote