Gary Roberts added as Player Development Consultant

Old
10-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Gary Roberts added as Player Development Consultant

Quote:
Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced today that the club has hired former NHL player Gary Roberts as a player development consultant.

Roberts, 44, has trained several young players during the past few off-seasons near his home in Ontario, including the Stars’ James Neal, Florida’s Stephen Weiss and Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos, among others.

“We’re very pleased to officially add Gary Roberts as a player development consultant for our hockey club,” said Nieuwendyk. “Obviously I know Gary well and what he’s all about. He’s a first-class person and I think our young players will benefit from his years of experience.”
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:20 AM
vofty

vCash: 500
I like this move

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
I like this move
I agree.

Gary Roberts is a fitness machine.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:24 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
What does this say about JJ McQueen?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:27 AM
aisforaaron83

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
What does this say about JJ McQueen?
JJ is still strength/conditioning coach. Roberts is a consultant.

very good move, IMO.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:30 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I am okay with it

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:36 AM
mattTHERIPPERsanchez
#areyouseriousbro

Send a message via AIM to mattTHERIPPERsanchez
Awesome. Neal has shown some definite strides with the help of Gary Roberts. Great hire!

mattTHERIPPERsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:45 AM
vofty

Mark had this up:
http://espn.go.com/blog/DallasStars/...-as-consultant
Quote:
Roberts will be working with the Stars’ young players throughout the club’s hockey system, at both the NHL and developmental levels, in tandem with the club’s strength and conditioning team, coaches and trainers.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:55 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Hm, sounds like he'll be their guy out in the field going where needed, while the current coaches continue focusing on the NHLers during the season. That seems like a good plan.

Old
10-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Chad_

Nothing but positive here.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:13 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Aren't Joe and Gary like best buds? Regardless, the guy has a good post hockey playing reputation in this department. Solid hire.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Aren't Joe and Gary like best buds? Regardless, the guy has a good post hockey playing reputation in this department. Solid hire.
I don't think it's just Joe & Gary bein' buddies.

The pre-existing familiarity is good for the team, and we know Roberts is good at what he does, and that's getting in shape (and breaking his leg).

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:16 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
They go back to their lacrosse days. But obviously agree that its a good hire not only cause Gary Roberts is nothing but a fitness maniac, but with the Stars team being as young as they are, to start them out on this kind of regimen now can only benefit later on.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

I don't like people who don't like Nieuwendyk. The guy is about people and knows people and people know Joe. He's good for the club and the people he brings in are good people too. Case in point, Willie Desjardins. I had a brief minute to have a word with WD, and he might be one of the nicer people I've ever met around a rink. Small too, but wow, you can see how a group of young players would be receptive. Gary, not so sure about the nice thing, but he'll do what he does. Keep putting the pieces in place and building the whole thing right.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple A Day Kari View Post
I don't like people who don't like Nieuwendyk.
People are quick to rush to judgment.

No matter how big the ownership deal is, he is going to get blamed for not bringing someone in to fix the defense. Granted, there's several things I think he could've done differently if not just to build up our draft pick pool. Plus he just got rid of the most popular player ever to play the game down here...the face of the franchise...and the leader in everything possible. No matter how right the situation was, he's going to get blamed for it. Turco was a big fan favorite here as well, despite what most people on here thought of him. More bad light.

Until he wins a couple of rounds and is actually given a chance to build up the team, he's going to have a bad shadow over him.

I'm still not convinced he's the man for the job, but these coaching signs (outside of Crawford) have been for the better. But again, the average fan is not going to care about the coaching. Especially if it doesn't result in Ws on the ice.

Old
10-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Plus he just got rid of the most popular player ever to play the game down here...the face of the franchise...and the leader in everything possible. No matter how right the situation was, he's going to get blamed for it.
Dude, calm the freak down. Brunnstrom was just put on waivers. The Stars haven't gotten rid of him yet. And Barch would have some say in your "leader in everything possible" category. Word has it Barch is great in the 'room.

Old
10-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Dude, calm the freak down. Brunnstrom was just put on waivers. The Stars haven't gotten rid of him yet. And Barch would have some say in your "leader in everything possible" category. Word has it Barch is great in the 'room.
:handclap :

Old
10-15-2010, 05:56 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I don't think it's just Joe & Gary bein' buddies.

The pre-existing familiarity is good for the team, and we know Roberts is good at what he does, and that's getting in shape (and breaking his leg).
Nepotism wasn't my intended point. From what I can tell Roberts' reputation speaks for itself. I was more or less pointing out that Joe and Gary's being close personal longtime friends helped us land a guy who probably could have had a similar job in other organizations. Good on Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple A Day Kari View Post
I don't like people who don't like Nieuwendyk...
What or who is this directed at? I'm lost.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Glovesave32 - What or who is this directed at? I'm lost.
Sorry GS. It's reflective commenting, it's not directed at anyone, it's a basically you know who you are kinda lead in as I was getting to the people quality Joe brings to his post as GM. Kinda similar to the, we better trade Morrow comments that will become familiar from me in the future. You know I've always backed Joe's character, and many have bashed his personnel moves at times to the point of apparent hatred. And I havent' read Lobo's comment yet, but I believe it's something along the lines of everyone overreacts to certain moves at the time, so that's fair and downplays things a bit, because I know I wanted to kick Joe in the shins as the Ducks were taking the stage at the draft.

What is overlooked, is that these types of moves are the flip side to the budget constraints he has, along with the frustrations we as fans of the team endure while trying to remain patient, knowing we are not terribly far away from being mentioned among the contenders. He's a character guy with big time connections, allowing the organization to get the ducks in a row for when the windfall arrives. He keeps doing the right things, without doing much of anything at all.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
People are quick to rush to judgment.

No matter how big the ownership deal is, he is going to get blamed for not bringing someone in to fix the defense. Granted, there's several things I think he could've done differently if not just to build up our draft pick pool. Plus he just got rid of the most popular player ever to play the game down here...the face of the franchise...and the leader in everything possible. No matter how right the situation was, he's going to get blamed for it. Turco was a big fan favorite here as well, despite what most people on here thought of him. More bad light.

Until he wins a couple of rounds and is actually given a chance to build up the team, he's going to have a bad shadow over him.

I'm still not convinced he's the man for the job, but these coaching signs (outside of Crawford) have been for the better. But again, the average fan is not going to care about the coaching. Especially if it doesn't result in Ws on the ice.
Very valid, and I see you're point to all of this outside of thinking he's not the man for the job.

To the average fan sure, Modano and Turco is a big hit to take in one offseason, considering the clout these two have had pretty much since hockey hit the map in Dallas. That said no one who is a regular on here is an average fan, so I think we can put the standard judgement aside and look at what's really happened(ing).

Modano, love him, he's the reason I started cheering for the NorthStars as a 9 year old kid. He's the ultimate player when it comes to skill and style. His roots in Dallas and the USA run deep and understandably so. He'll never be forgotten in Stars and American hockey history.

I think Joe recognized we don't need the style element, there is still plenty of skill and it's time to let the leaders within come to the forefront and take the reigns. Losing him meant missing the nostalgic moments in Mike's apparent (waivering) swan song. The team needed to grow together and Mike was likely taking away from that. Someone else needs to become the Dallas Stars, and the sooner that happens the sooner we see a better product on the ice.

And losing Turco meant, well, we get a goalie who knows how to stop pucks. I always wanted to believe in him because of his edgey attitude, but end of the day, somewhere inside I knew he wasn't going to get it done (post lockout). Time to move on.

I guess in sports simple isn't always logical and vice-versa.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:33 PM
GernerPSU

Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
Gary helped a lot of kids in Pittsburgh grow up and toughen up probably ahead of schedule. He is also responsible for helping Stamkos develop an NHL body IMO. He is a great fit in this kind of capacity.

GernerPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 10:24 PM
BeaverSports

Roberts is gaining quite a reputation for his training and he was always known as a good team-first player and person. This is a good move by the Stars, particularly if there's some exclusivity in this working arrangement.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
This is a good move by the Stars, particularly if there's some exclusivity in this working arrangement.
Don't ask me to find it, but someone who would know tweeted the agreement is not exclusive during the off-season, meaning Roberts can and likely will continue to hold his camps. There's still a lot of good, assuming the rave reviews are accurate.

Old
02-17-2011, 09:03 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Is Gary Roberts partly to blame for the player Neal has become?

I say yes. To my eyes, Neal looks like a guy who put on too much mass.

Think back to his rookie season. Now picture him next to Modano. What's he doing?

He's going really ****ing fast down the wing, right? He's blowing past defenders. He's winning every race to the puck. #9 looks slow compared to this kid. He's slamming into the boards on the forecheck and forcing mistakes.

Where is that today? It's nowhere to be found. The wheels are over-encumbered. They're gone. He's a step slow all around the rink. He's got the maneuverability and top speed of a bumper car.

Did the Dorsett suspension play a part? Absolutely. But I don't think the primary problem is timidity or lack of desire. It's that he can't get to where he's going anymore. Roberts must devise a new plan for Neal.

Old
02-17-2011, 11:26 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Is Gary Roberts partly to blame for the player Neal has become?

I say yes. To my eyes, Neal looks like a guy who put on too much mass.

Think back to his rookie season. Now picture him next to Modano. What's he doing?

He's going really ****ing fast down the wing, right? He's blowing past defenders. He's winning every race to the puck. #9 looks slow compared to this kid. He's slamming into the boards on the forecheck and forcing mistakes.

Where is that today? It's nowhere to be found. The wheels are over-encumbered. They're gone. He's a step slow all around the rink. He's got the maneuverability and top speed of a bumper car.

Did the Dorsett suspension play a part? Absolutely. But I don't think the primary problem is timidity or lack of desire. It's that he can't get to where he's going anymore. Roberts must devise a new plan for Neal.
He certainly didn't look slow to me to begin the season. I also dont think he was ever faster than Modano, Modano just never skated at full speed. It is interesting though that as he gained muscle he became less physical. He needs to regain that. I also think he's trying to become more of a team player and play within the system and maybe that'll make him a better player in the long run.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote