HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Paul Martin Appreciation Thread

Old
10-18-2010, 03:20 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Hey guys, just thought I'd drop in and see what's going...

*slowly backs away*

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:22 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Eh, I dunno. What are other $5M defensemen doing (too lazy to look it up). He's doing a good job. Lets not forget how Gonchar started off his career in a Pens uniform too...
I just wish he were a half a step faster...

I've seen him a couple of times already where he makes a nice, calm move to get away from someone only to have the guy he just got around be able to poke it off his stick.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:23 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post

I've seen him a couple of times already where he makes a nice, calm move to get away from someone only to have the guy he just got around be able to poke it off his stick.
If he was faster, then he would be making more than $5M

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:24 PM
RoninsRevenge

Quote:
I like him too, but does anyone feel that as good as he is, he's not 5M dollars a year good?
I thought that going in, but he's won me over. If Gonchar is making 5.5, then we're stealing. Look around the league and see what some these guys are making. You gotta pay for solid blueliners and he's as solid as they come.

RoninsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:24 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I'll always have a soft spot for Sarge... but if he's making what he is at this stage of his career, then I'm fine with Martin making what he is, albeit over a longer term. Martin will never be able to wire the puck like Gonchar or quarterback a powerplay the same way but he ranges from equal to much better in every other aspect of his game. Particularly in his own zone.

I won't say I haven't noticed some hiccups here and there but I can't help but take it as a great sign that he's jumped out to this sort of start on an entirely new team. Unless he falls off a cliff, I think he'll justify or exceed the "value" of his salary.

EDIT: HA! Beaten to the punch on the Gonchar comparison.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:26 PM
RoninsRevenge

Quote:

I don't know man, he seems pretty darn fast to me. Maybe he was at the end of his shift. He is playing a ton of minutes with these injuries.

RoninsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Eh, I dunno. What are other $5M defensemen doing (too lazy to look it up). He's doing a good job. Lets not forget how Gonchar started off his career in a Pens uniform too...
http://www.capgeek.com/leaders.php?t...max_results=25

Martin is the 20th highest D cap hit. To me he probably falls somewhere in the 10th to 20th best defencemen so that cap hit seems pretty reasonable.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:33 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
http://www.capgeek.com/leaders.php?t...max_results=25

Martin is the 20th highest D cap hit. To me he probably falls somewhere in the 10th to 20th best defencemen so that cap hit seems pretty reasonable.
Fair enough

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:47 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
No, I think you're right on. I mean, for Goligoski to excel defensively it would have to be in the same way that Martin plays, more or less. 5 years of playing together would surely teach him a few things, plus they seems to be close already.
Not to mention, they both went to Minnesota, and train there in the summer. Paul Martin is going to have a gigantic influence on Goligoski

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Not to mention, they both went to Minnesota, and train there in the summer. Paul Martin is going to have a gigantic influence on Goligoski
I've said it before that if Goligoski ever got to a Mark Eaton level defensively he'd be a 4 or 5 million dollar player.

Old
10-18-2010, 04:27 PM
wej20

Quote:
Given what most Free Agent dmen get I think his contract is pretty fair value. I'd definitely take him over Hamhuis @ 4.5.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
JTG

Martin is without a doubt a 5 million dollar defenseman (more, IMO). I think he was a top 15 defenseman in NJ, and if he hit more and put up more points, more people would realize how good he is. Because he doesn't do the flashy things, he doesn't get his due a lot of the time.

Old
10-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Martin is without a doubt a 5 million dollar defenseman (more, IMO). I think he was a top 15 defenseman in NJ, and if he hit more and put up more points, more people would realize how good he is. Because he doesn't do the flashy things, he doesn't get his due a lot of the time.
It will be interesting to see where he and Michalek rank in popular opinion after a year with the Pens. Martin should have better stats and the 75% of hockey fans that don't stay up past 11 will get to see Michalek more.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:05 PM
JTG

They will never get their due because they aren't much fun to watch if they aren't on your team. Neither guy throws bone crunching hits, neither guy puts up huge points, but both guys are ridiculously solid in the defensive zone and play a style of hockey that conducive to winning.

Old
10-18-2010, 06:08 PM
invictus

After looking at the ages and contract lengths of everyone being paid more than Martin, I like his contract a lot.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Fantasy team baby! Picked him up right after the draft realizing I made a huge mistake when looking at his numbers from the year before when he was injured.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Somebody please help me out here... I have a choice in my work's hockey pool between PK Subban and Paul Martin. Yeah yeah, Subban, I'm a Habs fan, let me have it But I know, even with PK's slow start, he'll challenge for 50 points this year if not more. You can argue me on that one but that's just my belief. My question is, do you think Paul Martin will keep putting up points like he is right now? Obviously not PPG+ but do you think he will honestly get 55+ points this year? I do not know much of him, and like you guys (alot of you anyway) before this season, I thought he was defense first with a knack to put in maybe a few points. Now it seems he is a great offensive threat. So guide my direction here boys, you know P. Martin better than I ever will by the time I need to make this decision

Something to consider: an assist is 1 point and a goal is 2 points for d-men in my league. I know Martin does not have a cannon, and I know PK has a bomb. Factor that in if you decide to give me a hand

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:12 PM
DreamBeaut

I'd take martin.

he's looked ridiculous

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Vega

I really think Martin is Ray Shero's best signing to date. PM is just rock solid.

Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
To be fair, this isn't the first completely idiotic thing you've said, if you are in fact the same edog37 from the PMB back in the day.
Oh, it's him. And your comment is funny because it's true.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
right now, Lovejoy is a better overall defensemen than Letang.....
Good old edong. Long time no see...

Old
10-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

The best part about watching Martin is the way he enters the zone with the puck. He's so smooth and effortless. He's positionally sound, has an above average offensive game.

He may not be a #1 defender but the Pens currently have three #2 defenders in Michalek, Orpik, and Martin plus two 3-4 defenders in Letang and Goligoski. That's one hell of a deep defense. Plus Engelland and Lovejoy have been solid if not unspectacular. It makes me feel good about the D going forward.

Old
10-18-2010, 09:34 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Somebody please help me out here... I have a choice in my work's hockey pool between PK Subban and Paul Martin. Yeah yeah, Subban, I'm a Habs fan, let me have it But I know, even with PK's slow start, he'll challenge for 50 points this year if not more. You can argue me on that one but that's just my belief. My question is, do you think Paul Martin will keep putting up points like he is right now? Obviously not PPG+ but do you think he will honestly get 55+ points this year? I do not know much of him, and like you guys (alot of you anyway) before this season, I thought he was defense first with a knack to put in maybe a few points. Now it seems he is a great offensive threat. So guide my direction here boys, you know P. Martin better than I ever will by the time I need to make this decision

Something to consider: an assist is 1 point and a goal is 2 points for d-men in my league. I know Martin does not have a cannon, and I know PK has a bomb. Factor that in if you decide to give me a hand
Martin for sure. He needs 5 more goals to match his best, he can probably get 8 with us. He is on pace for a career season in points. Right now he is at 7 points in 7 games, on pace for 82 points in 82 games but obviously wont get it, he aint no Mike Green! (who IMO should be a forward....worst defense ever). Martin will probably have around 45 points.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:35 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

How did Martin not break 40+ points in NJ? His first pass is great and he almost always makes the best play possible.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:37 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
How did Martin not break 40+ points in NJ? His first pass is great and he almost always makes the best play possible.
Trap + never having an offense that was in the top half of the league