HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How much should I charge for private goalie lessons?

Old
10-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
How much should I charge for private goalie lessons?

Hey all,

I'll keep this short: my neighbour dropped by this morning and asked if I could give her 7 year old (?) son some private goalie lessons. I don't play in AA or some AAA league, I've been a "A" goalie consistently throughout my life (Junior A now), and I've played for many years.

It's an odd request, but my neighbour is serious about it and wants her son and her 6 year old to have goalie lessons given by me (mental, technical, etc).

She also wants to pay me and she insists. Just to give you an idea, she's even thinking about renting ice just for this even if I told her it's expensive to do so, and by the looks of her house, she's well off.

Now, I DON'T want to take advantage of her, but what would be fair for private goalie lessons?

$20?

more?

Thanks for your input. I can't decide.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Pog Form

Rent-a-goalies around here usually get $40 for an hour skate, so maybe you can use that as a starting point.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:35 AM
robmneilson

In NYC you can pretty much get a private lesson at the rink for $60 during stick and puck times.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Thanks for the input guys, really does help. I don't want to overcharge either and have her ***** at me should the kid not perform.

Old
10-17-2010, 12:02 PM
robmneilson

If she's going to pay to rent out the ice for you to give her son a lesson, I doubt she will balk at your price for a lesson.

I'd say $60-100 would be a good deal for the both of you.

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmneilson View Post
If she's going to pay to rent out the ice for you to give her son a lesson, I doubt she will balk at your price for a lesson.

I'd say $60-100 would be a good deal for the both of you.
Should this be by the hour or by the session?

Old
10-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Should this be by the hour or by the session?
I've done some tutoring (academic, but the labour market dynamics are similar) and I would recommend hourly. If you do it by the the session students tend to wiggle into time just before and just after the scheduled session. After a while you're "90 minute sessions" start to take 110 minutes.

However, if she's willing to pay considerably more per session than you figure it would work out to on an hourly basis then bill by the session. The little overages before and after create a perception of you "going the extra mile" without charging her more.

I also recommend writing out a few notes on what you plan to cover during the session, what you noticed last time (and how to improve it if necessary), and some things the kid can work on at home. You're in a position where you're billing a woman for something she probably has a limited understand of. Even if she doesn't really know what your notes mean she'll appreciate that you appear to have a plan.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I've done some tutoring (academic, but the labour market dynamics are similar) and I would recommend hourly. If you do it by the the session students tend to wiggle into time just before and just after the scheduled session. After a while you're "90 minute sessions" start to take 110 minutes.

However, if she's willing to pay considerably more per session than you figure it would work out to on an hourly basis then bill by the session. The little overages before and after create a perception of you "going the extra mile" without charging her more.

I also recommend writing out a few notes on what you plan to cover during the session, what you noticed last time (and how to improve it if necessary), and some things the kid can work on at home. You're in a position where you're billing a woman for something she probably has a limited understand of. Even if she doesn't really know what your notes mean she'll appreciate that you appear to have a plan.
Great post, thanks a lot. I am planning on making an outline of what we're going to cover week by week and keeping track of the kid's progress. I also tutor academically, but my college organizes it all, I just have to show up. Do you think it would be a good idea to get the kid to do some reading? When I was coming into my own as a goalie, I read a lot of goalie books (Jacques Plante, Brian Daccord, Jim Corsi, etc) and I found them to be a great help.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Great post, thanks a lot. I am planning on making an outline of what we're going to cover week by week and keeping track of the kid's progress. I also tutor academically, but my college organizes it all, I just have to show up. Do you think it would be a good idea to get the kid to do some reading? When I was coming into my own as a goalie, I read a lot of goalie books (Jacques Plante, Brian Daccord, Jim Corsi, etc) and I found them to be a great help.
I haven't tutored anyone below high school age so I'm just pulling this out of thin air, but I would think 7 is a little young to assign reading. Maybe just give him some recommendations and let him take the initiative if he wants to do that part...

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I haven't tutored anyone below high school age so I'm just pulling this out of thin air, but I would think 7 is a little young to assign reading. Maybe just give him some recommendations and let him take the initiative if he wants to do that part...
Fair enough. I forget how much older I am than the kid.

Old
10-17-2010, 04:55 PM
blueberrydanish

Not a coach...but my advice kinda what Sideline is saying in a way, don't go all out hardcore training off the bat...the guy is only 7 make sure he learns to enjoy/love the sport first before ya try and take things too serious with him(although he may be at that level mentally so thatd be great). Gotta remember, dont wanna turn the kid off from the sport by forcing him to do drills that are more to fine tune your game when he doesnt have any game to begin with =p.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Very true. I'll be sure to take it easy with him, and eventually if he's serious enough, we'll start talking details.

Old
10-18-2010, 05:22 AM
NJDwoot

The guys at my rink charge 30 bucks for 30 min.. basically $1 a min. so I would say since you have two trainees 60 bucks for an hour isn't bad. she might even drop you a 100.

NJDwoot is offline   Reply With Quote